Sack Don Furner

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

Brew
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: Blake Austin

Re: Sack Don Furner

Post by Brew »

How long has he been in the job for now?

We must one of the few clubs who haven’t had a change in CEO since he started surly

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
In Ricky We Trust
LastRaider
John Ferguson

Sack Don Furner

Post by LastRaider »

Leebola wrote:
andymull72 wrote: August 12, 2018, 5:49 pm He is way past his expiry date and when he goes take the Defence coach with him
Nah man, it's Mick Crawley, one of the best attacking coaches going, but for reasons known only to the Raiders heirarchy, has been slotted in as defence coach. Put him back where he belongs. The rest can go.
I think it’s pretty obvious isn’t it? Can no longer work with Ricky and has been put into a role he didn’t want to do.

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse
Last edited by LastRaider on August 12, 2018, 9:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

papabear wrote:
T_R wrote: August 12, 2018, 7:09 pm You don't just sack a guy with a BA from the University of New England! They don't just grow on trees, you know!
tbh i turned down ANU to go to UNE, good fun uni.

in any event, I agree with thread title, just not with T_R's lovely charmer of a post.
A noble sacrifice.

It's there anything about a UNE BA that qualifies one to run a football club?

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

Brew wrote: August 12, 2018, 9:05 pm How long has he been in the job for now?

We must one of the few clubs who haven’t had a change in CEO since he started surly

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
Prettt sure he has been in charge since they bought the club back from News in 2002. Simon Hawkins had a role for a long time though, but I cant remember if that was CEO of the footy club or Leagues club side.
afgtnk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Crotic

Post by afgtnk »

Furner came into the role around '07 or '08 from memory, taking over Hawkins who moved into the Leagues club role (despite also widely being criticised for his time at the club).
Last edited by afgtnk on August 12, 2018, 9:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

Yep, just found it. Furner was football manager before that.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

The last incarnation of this thread makes great reading

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?url=ht ... are_type=t
Roger Kenworthy
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki, J-Lo, Jordan Rapana

Post by Roger Kenworthy »

You have to admire that he has been called Teflon Don for 10 years and is still under no pressure to retain his job.
100%green
Don Furner

Post by 100%green »

He's a really great guy that I have a lot of respect for. Always says hi and has a chat. I also respect him for a lot of the work he's done to get the club back to being popular in this town.

However I think it's time for a change at HQ. And more than just Don. I think at board and HQ level some questions need to be asked.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

Roger Kenworthy wrote: August 13, 2018, 7:16 am You have to admire that he has been called Teflon Don for 10 years and is still under no pressure to retain his job.
Family farm lives on.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

The only question I have here is - "Does anyone - ANYONE - believe that if his surname was not Furner that he'd be in this job"?

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

T_R wrote: August 13, 2018, 11:14 am The only question I have here is - "Does anyone - ANYONE - believe that if his surname was not Furner that he'd be in this job"?
Well the only coach ever to be sacked by the Raiders was a Furner. :)
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

Northern Raider wrote: August 13, 2018, 11:36 am
T_R wrote: August 13, 2018, 11:14 am The only question I have here is - "Does anyone - ANYONE - believe that if his surname was not Furner that he'd be in this job"?
Well the only coach ever to be sacked by the Raiders was a Furner.
Yes, but he's someone else who wouldn't have had a job - let alone an extension to it - without his surname.

The real world just doesn't work this way. You can have nepotism or you can have success, but very rarely can you have both of them.

Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

T_R wrote: August 13, 2018, 11:40 am
Northern Raider wrote: August 13, 2018, 11:36 am
Well the only coach ever to be sacked by the Raiders was a Furner.
Yes, but he's someone else who wouldn't have had a job - let alone an extension to it - without his surname.

The real world just doesn't work this way. You can have nepotism or you can have success, but very rarely can you have both of them.
Just pointing out that being a Furner doesn’t make you immune. Eventually results (or lack of) will catch up.
T_R
Don Furner

Sack Don Furner

Post by T_R »

Well, they did once, anyway.

afgtnk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Crotic

Post by afgtnk »

? He shouldn't have had the job in the first place, and shouldn't still be in it.

So what, if he's sacked now that means he's been held to account all along? Rubbish.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Roger Kenworthy wrote: August 13, 2018, 7:16 am You have to admire that he has been called Teflon Don for 10 years and is still under no pressure to retain his job.
All this time I thought it was his cooking skills that earned the nickname.
Shoving it in your face since 2017
Green eyed Mick
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Brett Mullins

Post by Green eyed Mick »

Don sucks.
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

At the risk of being banished to the naughty corner, I have found DFJ to be a personable friendly bloke. He is willing to stop and have a chat with Raiders fans from out of town. As far as I am currently aware the finances of the organisation are in good shape. That is a key component for a CEO. He has had some tough things to do in his time, one of which was to sack his Brother. He will soon have another tough thing to do. Move on a Hall Of Famer.
Roger Kenworthy
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki, J-Lo, Jordan Rapana

Post by Roger Kenworthy »

RedRaider wrote: August 14, 2018, 7:20 am At the risk of being banished to the naughty corner, I have found DFJ to be a personable friendly bloke. He is willing to stop and have a chat with Raiders fans from out of town. As far as I am currently aware the finances of the organisation are in good shape. That is a key component for a CEO. He has had some tough things to do in his time, one of which was to sack his Brother. He will soon have another tough thing to do. Move on a Hall Of Famer.
It's one of the tough things about the lack of transparency in the club. The finances are in good order but that's due to the Raiders Group from what I understand. How much of that falls under Don's portfolio? Genuine question as I have no idea...

No doubt he sounds approachable and a great ambassador for the club. But the role of CEO requires a skill set that reflects the salary, from on field results you'd say he has been a failure.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

Yeah that’s the major issue and one I’ve raised before
The way the club is set up and it’s lack of transparency, it’s hard to even know what sort of job DFJ is or isn’t doing

But ultimately it comes back to the same thing. We need a top to bottom clean out, he has to be with it because he’s a major component of the family farm mentality this club has.

Furner has to go. It’s as simple that.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Time for another independent review, followed by a petition.

...or is that other way round?
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

RedRaider wrote: August 14, 2018, 7:20 am At the risk of being banished to the naughty corner, I have found DFJ to be a personable friendly bloke. He is willing to stop and have a chat with Raiders fans from out of town. As far as I am currently aware the finances of the organisation are in good shape. That is a key component for a CEO. He has had some tough things to do in his time, one of which was to sack his Brother. He will soon have another tough thing to do. Move on a Hall Of Famer.
I completely disagree.

You've selected a single KPI - 'Ensure the financial viability of the company' from a long list, and then used it (along with 'he seems nice') to judge the success of the CEO. I believe that the football operations run at a substantial loss, and are propped up by grants from the Leagues Clubs (correct me if I'm wrong), so I'm not sure he's even meeting that one basic KPI. Beyond that, he is running a football club. Just not going bankrupt seems to me to be a pretty low bar to set for success in that environment.

How about we look at the success of the team? Imagine how financially viable they'd be if they started winning premierships.

woppadingo
Brett Mullins

Post by woppadingo »

Seems to me that as CEO everything falls under his portfolio. However I would think that the manager of football operations would be responsible for the success of the team on the field.
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

We have over the last couple of years spent more money on running the NRL side than any other team in the competition. Yes, more than even Brisbane or the Roosters. The NRL side loses around 2.5m a year based on the results from 2016.

So given he spends huge amounts, runs at a loss and doesn't get results, I don't think he is a financial genius.
100%green
Don Furner

Post by 100%green »

We really need to look at what teams like Melbourne do and compare that to our operations. I know they are in a developing area, have more exposure due to the parts they have and are last years premiers, however look at the weekend...

Kids under 15 let in for free valid with any adult ticket. 10000 free flags for the first 10000 through the gates and then let on the ground at full time. Yes we had the last part as well on the weekend but looking at the rest of the promotion that's well planned. We should have been doing that too. They get a lot right. Not to say we don't do a good job in other areas and haven't learnt from other clubs and sports along the way but we should be constantly evolving from game to game to improve.

That starts with the CEO down.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

Schifty
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson

Post by Schifty »

edwahu wrote: August 14, 2018, 10:10 am We have over the last couple of years spent more money on running the NRL side than any other team in the competition. Yes, more than even Brisbane or the Roosters. The NRL side loses around 2.5m a year based on the results from 2016.

So given he spends huge amounts, runs at a loss and doesn't get results, I don't think he is a financial genius.
Wait what are we spending money on?

We significantly scaled back our junior development, is the club personally paying for those big macs people get when we score during a Maccas powerplay?
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

Schifty wrote: August 14, 2018, 10:20 am
edwahu wrote: August 14, 2018, 10:10 am We have over the last couple of years spent more money on running the NRL side than any other team in the competition. Yes, more than even Brisbane or the Roosters. The NRL side loses around 2.5m a year based on the results from 2016.

Wait what are we spending money on?

We significantly scaled back our junior development, is the club personally paying for those big macs people get when we score during a Maccas powerplay?
Coaches and facilities I suppose.

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/why-th ... uf5x2.html
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

By the way, you can read the clubs 2016-2018 Strategic plan here. This is what Don can be judged against.

https://issuu.com/raiderscanberra/docs/ ... lan_2016-2

As far as the NRL teams performance goes this was his target, although to be fair its not a huge piece of the overall strategy

WE ARE HIGH PERFORMANCE.
Our goal is Top 4 NRL competition finishes
through:
• our high performance culture being
further refined
• continued recruitment of talented players
that embody our club values
• providing a contemporary football
program that develops, produces
and sustains high performance
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

edwahu wrote: August 14, 2018, 10:37 am By the way, you can read the clubs 2016-2018 Strategic plan here. This is what Don can be judged against.

As far as the NRL teams performance goes this was his target

WE ARE HIGH PERFORMANCE.
through:
further refined
Then he has failed. Simple.

Timbo
David Furner
Favourite Player: Hudson Young

Post by Timbo »

T_R wrote: August 14, 2018, 10:40 am
edwahu wrote: August 14, 2018, 10:37 am By the way, you can read the clubs 2016-2018 Strategic plan here. This is what Don can be judged against.

As far as the NRL teams performance goes this was his target

WE ARE HIGH PERFORMANCE.
through:
further refined
Then he has failed. Simple.
It really is that simple - if that's the yardstick then sorry Don, you aren't doing your job.
Sometimes the light at the end of the tunnel is just the train that's about to hit you.
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

I think you have to read the entire strategy to get the full view. The success of the NRL team is not their only goal, it's not even really a primary one or that prominent from my interpretation.

Don could have hit 90% of this targets overall and its probably bad luck we ended up supporting a team which doesn't place NRL success as its major priority.

I believe the NRL requires every club has to have one of these now and I found a few other teams. NRL success is generally more prominent and a bigger focus with clearer measures. Obviously these clubs have had different levels of success in executing them.

https://www.roosters.com.au/siteassets/ ... osters.pdf
https://www.bulldogs.com.au/about/strategic-plan/
https://www.titans.com.au/siteassets/20 ... c-plan.pdf
Last edited by edwahu on August 14, 2018, 11:52 am, edited 4 times in total.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

If you're CEO of business that sets out a strategic plan like this then falls well short there are only 2 options available to you. Either completely overhaul the people and systems you put in place or simply step down from the role. If neither happen then the board should have no alternative but to remove the CEO themselves.

Sent from my SM-G955F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk

RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

Roger Kenworthy wrote: August 14, 2018, 8:04 am
It's one of the tough things about the lack of transparency in the club. The finances are in good order but that's due to the Raiders Group from what I understand. How much of that falls under Don's portfolio? Genuine question as I have no idea...

No doubt he sounds approachable and a great ambassador for the club. But the role of CEO requires a skill set that reflects the salary, from on field results you'd say he has been a failure.
I don't know the answer to your question either RK. But financial viability is usually a key objective of a CEO which he would have had some input into. Eg Gaining and retaining sponsors, Growing the Membership base. At those I think it is fair to say he has been successful. Particularly so in comparison to some of the other Club basket cases which have required NRL bail outs.

Every Raiders fan is disappointed at the ladder position of the Raiders. I am well known for my views on our defensive shortcomings. If Don sets the KPI's for the Head Coach and future Head Coaches, then improving our position on the defensive ladder is vital. Some might ask why - My answer is that over the past decade the side which has won the Comp has been a Top 5 side on points/tries against. It doesn't necessarily mean such a side will win the comp, but it means you give yourself a better chance than the 11 other sides who are not in the top defensive bracket. Such sides are 'tough to beat' and that's where we need to be to give ourselves an opportunity.

I take people as I find them and the few times I have spoken with him he has always been affable and friendly. Now I know that is not a criteria for a CEO, but it's a good start for a human being.
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

T_R wrote: August 14, 2018, 9:05 am
I completely disagree.

You've selected a single KPI - 'Ensure the financial viability of the company' from a long list, and then used it (along with 'he seems nice') to judge the success of the CEO. I believe that the football operations run at a substantial loss, and are propped up by grants from the Leagues Clubs (correct me if I'm wrong), so I'm not sure he's even meeting that one basic KPI. Beyond that, he is running a football club. Just not going bankrupt seems to me to be a pretty low bar to set for success in that environment.

How about we look at the success of the team? Imagine how financially viable they'd be if they started winning premierships.
:D Would now not be a good time to mention I have an Arts degree from the University of New England in Armidale with majors in Economics and Economic History. This was completed 20 years ago this year. If Don also went there I did not meet him. As mentioned in reply to RK, he has been successful with gaining and retaining sponsors and in growing the Membership base. I don't know his specific performance targets but I reckon he would have been told to acquire the players the Head Coach wants so that the Head Coach can be successful with the team. I think he acquired the requested roster - the Head Coaches performance is entirely another matter.