Has anyone else noticed this about Croker?

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

cholztrad
Chris O'Sullivan

Post by cholztrad »

This is something I noticed years ago and told a friend about it and we laugh about it weekly because it happens pretty consistently.

When the fullback or winger finishes their kick return run Croker from time to time will step in and take a run from hooker, this almost every time either results in a super slow play the ball or a penalty for holding him down. It seems like a mix between him not being as strong as other centres so holding him down is an easier task and him always wiggling to get out. I'm not sure if this kind of stats exists but I'll have money on him leading penalties given for being help down.
Peter
Jason Croker

Re: Has anyone else noticed this about Croker?

Post by Peter »

He does successfully milk a lot of penalties. But he also whinges at times where a quick play-the-ball would be the preferred option to an unsuccessful milk. He is quite the cow.
cholztrad
Chris O'Sullivan

Post by cholztrad »

Peter wrote: May 26, 2018, 6:47 pm He does successfully milk a lot of penalties. But he also whinges at times where a quick play-the-ball would be the preferred option to an unsuccessful milk. He is quite the cow.
Yeah agree, on Friday there was a point where he did infact get a quick play the ball and Jacky got confused and the ball went through his legs lol
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Phil Graham

Post by FuiFui BradBrad »

He also talks to himself before kicking conversions, and waves his arms like he’s attempting flight after every play the ball. I want to know Croker’s arm wave:penalty awarded percentage

@Matt - Surely you have these stats at your disposal?
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has done a superb job - 18/12/2020
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
raiderskater
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Croker, Cotric, Sezer

Post by raiderskater »

Croker does milk a lot of penalties - but the guy does deserve them probably 90% of the time.

The ones we don't get are the ones where he's pushed off the chase and this happens extremely regularly. He's interfered with a LOT and that's likely because teams know if he gets to the ball in goal we're probably gonna score.

I remember a particularly obvious one in 2016 against Souths...three Souths players were all running Croker off the ball as it rolled in goal. Except they kinda forgot about Edrick Lee...
And to all the people who doubted me, hello to them as well. - Mark Webber, Raiders Ballboy and Unluckiest F1 Driver Ever

I'm attacking in the right way, instead of just...attacking in the general direction. - Max Aaron (also eerily apropos for the Green Machine)
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

Fuifui Bradbrad wrote: May 26, 2018, 7:08 pm He also talks to himself before kicking conversions, and waves his arms like he’s attempting flight after every play the ball. I want to know Croker’s arm wave:penalty awarded percentage

With the ball on the tee Croker is saying "inside left post"

I've done an advanced lip reading course.

And I'm a fan of our skip...big time.
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Post by Billy Walker »

I've noticed he tends to stumble a bit with his eyes rolling about the place after he tries to tackle Konrad Hurrell.
Begbie
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Smash Williams

Post by Begbie »

Yes, I've noticed it, especially this year. It's pretty funny when finishes his routine, he always throws both arms up in the air in exasperation. It's kind of like an little extra bonus he brings to his game, like his goal kicking.
raiderskater
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Croker, Cotric, Sezer

Post by raiderskater »

Billy Walker wrote: May 26, 2018, 10:52 pm I've noticed he tends to stumble a bit with his eyes rolling about the place after he tries to tackle Konrad Hurrell.
Hey, that was once. He returned fire most effectively on the second exchange.
And to all the people who doubted me, hello to them as well. - Mark Webber, Raiders Ballboy and Unluckiest F1 Driver Ever

I'm attacking in the right way, instead of just...attacking in the general direction. - Max Aaron (also eerily apropos for the Green Machine)
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

The number of soft penalties Croker gets correlates with the scientifically researched ‘team captain/famous player likely penalty factor’.

Joe Bloggs can be held down by Cooper Cronk for a week without getting a penalty, but if the refs see Joe Blogs ensure Cameron Smith is held down for a millisecond too long then he will get a penalty.

Westsydneyraider
Alan Tongue
Favourite Player: Brett Mullins

Post by Westsydneyraider »

Yeah completely agree and have seen it without a doubt.
He does get a few soft ones our way but if he doesn’t get it then obviously it creates a slow play the ball so it’s semi-risky move really.
BigPapa
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Kenny Nagas

Post by BigPapa »

He doesn't mind a bit of the ol EDIT
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

Westsydneyraider wrote:Yeah completely agree and have seen it without a doubt.
He does get a few soft ones our way but if he doesn’t get it then obviously it creates a slow play the ball so it’s semi-risky move really.
They generally don't want a quick play the ball when most of the forward pack are ambling back to the ruck. A penalty is infinitely more valuable.

Lots of players from all clubs try to milk it. Did you see Uate flopping back to the ground on all his hit ups off kick returns?

Sent from my SM-G955F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk

* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
cholztrad
Chris O'Sullivan

Post by cholztrad »

Northern Raider wrote: May 27, 2018, 8:38 am
They generally don't want a quick play the ball when most of the forward pack are ambling back to the ruck. A penalty is infinitely more valuable.

Lots of players from all clubs try to milk it. Did you see Uate flopping back to the ground on all his hit ups off kick returns?

I'm not sure why you're trying to shift focus, defend or argue it. It's just something I noticed and other people have also seen. It's not meant to be a mock on his game but just an observation that it's very consistantly happens with Croker.. I have seen Uate flop around a fair but difference here is that with Uate he's lifting players off him where with Croker he looks more like a dead fish.
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

Watched for it since someone mentioned it. It's partly the captain factor, partly his smaller and agile so able to start getting up quicker and his style of running is to get his body between and slide through the half gap, meaning he is often actually able to find his front as they drag him down so deserves a quick play ball, vs someone who barges in and ends in a big tangled mess so they all get to unwrap and peel off slowly.

Probably a combo of all those gets him .5 extra penalties a game or something.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

He's very good at getting to his stomach on those runs, he gets there quickly and initiates the milking very quickly so the perception is he's being held down longer. He's incredibly agile so when he gets hit, he just gets himself spun into a position where he can get into it. It's in its own way a pretty handy skill
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

Some of those goal kicks he lines up to either level a game or win a game would have my backend going 5c 50c 5c 50c.

Everytime he approaches the ref to question a dodgy call he's turned away.

So waving his arms and carrying on like a 2bob watch is fine with me..
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

cholztrad wrote:
Northern Raider wrote: May 27, 2018, 8:38 am

I'm not sure why you're trying to shift focus, defend or argue it. It's just something I noticed and other people have also seen. It's not meant to be a mock on his game but just an observation that it's very consistantly happens with Croker.. I have seen Uate flop around a fair but difference here is that with Uate he's lifting players off him where with Croker he looks more like a dead fish.
Didn't realise I was shifting focus. Thought I was responding to a comment about a slow play the ball being risky in these situations.

* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Chicka Chicka Chicka
Glenn Lazarus
Favourite Player: Jarrod Croker

Post by Chicka Chicka Chicka »

I think Croker takes some tough carries after a kick return. Often one of the early ones in the set when you’re pretty well cannon fodder for the defence but he puts his hand up to take it. Shows leadership qualities in doing the hard stuff.
Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Post by Matt »

Fuifui Bradbrad wrote: May 26, 2018, 7:08 pm He also talks to himself before kicking conversions, and waves his arms like he’s attempting flight after every play the ball. I want to know Croker’s arm wave:penalty awarded percentage

Its about 15%
Grün Maschine
Simon Woolford
Favourite Player: Ken Nagas

Post by Grün Maschine »

Maybe his arm waving is to start a mid game viking clap
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

So Jarrod Croker gets an occasional penalty for being held down. Not to mention all the penalties he doesn’t get for being obstructed in the chase. And there’s a whole thread about it? I’ve now seen it all. Ridiculous.
reptar
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson

Post by reptar »

Have Fergus and Nickman swapped?
Gina Riley: Oh, come on, John. That’s a bit old hat, the corrupt IOC delegate.
John Clarke: Old hat? Gina, in the scientific world when they see that something is happening again and again and again, repeatedly, they don’t call it old hat. They call it a pattern.
cholztrad
Chris O'Sullivan

Post by cholztrad »

greeneyed wrote: May 27, 2018, 9:26 pm So Jarrod Croker gets an occasional penalty for being held down. Not to mention all the penalties he doesn’t get for being obstructed in the chase. And there’s a whole thread about it? I’ve now seen it all. Ridiculous.
What is rediculous is that you as a forum owner will see an issue with someone posting a legit observation about a player who also happens to be the captain of the team the forum is about, It's not like i'm **** on Croker, it's funny, he gets the ball early in the set and me and my freind start to jokingly scream YESSS, we are going to get a penalty. To be honest it's your attitute and other seniors around here where you tend to see an issue with anything posted about your favourite players that's turned me off this forum. You guys need to chill and not think everything is an argument or a dig, a normal conversation can happen where it's light hearted but when you have old timers that seem to be always grumpy calling things rediculous this place ends up becoming unbearable. Me and a friend jokingly call this place TheGrumpyHouse :)
Last edited by cholztrad on May 28, 2018, 11:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
cholztrad
Chris O'Sullivan

Post by cholztrad »

Pigman wrote: May 27, 2018, 12:48 pm He's very good at getting to his stomach on those runs, he gets there quickly and initiates the milking very quickly so the perception is he's being held down longer. He's incredibly agile so when he gets hit, he just gets himself spun into a position where he can get into it. It's in its own way a pretty handy skill
To be honest a lot of the time he's on his back and trying to turn over but he gets layed on which causes the penalty, I've had an eye on this for around 3 years. But you're right in that he's great at wiggling so a lot of the time while he's still on his back and his flopping around that he ends up pretty sideways and trying to turn but then gets pushed back to his back which makes it looks like he's been worked to hard which either results in the penalty or the slow play the ball.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

cholztrad wrote: May 28, 2018, 11:01 am
greeneyed wrote: May 27, 2018, 9:26 pm So Jarrod Croker gets an occasional penalty for being held down. Not to mention all the penalties he doesn’t get for being obstructed in the chase. And there’s a whole thread about it? I’ve now seen it all. Ridiculous.
What is rediculous is that you as a forum owner will see an issue with someone posting a legit observation about a player who also happens to be the captain of the team the forum is about, It's not like i'm **** on Croker, it's funny, he gets the ball early in the set and me and my freind start to jokingly scream YESSS, we are going to get a penalty. To be honest it's your attitute and other seniors around here where you tend to see an issue with anything posted about your favourite players that's turned me off this forum. You guys need to chill and not think everything is an argument or a dig, a normal conversation can happen where it's light hearted but when you have old timers that seem to be always grumpy calling things rediculous this place ends up becoming unbearable. Me and a friend jokingly call this place TheGrumpyHouse :)
Fair enough to call me out on that!

PS I’m not the forum owner... just one of the Administrators.
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

cholztrad wrote: May 28, 2018, 11:01 am Me and a friend jokingly call this place TheGrumpyHouse :)
Do either of you laugh?

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
cholztrad
Chris O'Sullivan

Post by cholztrad »

T_R wrote: May 28, 2018, 3:07 pm
cholztrad wrote: May 28, 2018, 11:01 am Me and a friend jokingly call this place TheGrumpyHouse :)
Do either of you laugh?
Yes we laugh at things like as highlighted in the thread when Croker gets the ball there's a chance we are going to get a penalty, we laugh at the refs and the state of the game, we laugh at how silly this place has become where all the old timers with their high post counts just want to continue to argue amongst themselves and throw logic out the window in which you have threads filled with old timers arguing their points with moot points. The best time for a laugh is to go on this forum is after a Canberra loss so I can laugh at the "sack who ever threads" which is a fairly consistant trend where you have the old timers agressivisivily aruguing over the topic and not really pushing a logical discussion but more of a bias one (I said I liked this player / didn't like this player signing 3 years ago, so I need to need to continue to push that narative for as long as I post on this forum)
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

:lol:
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

That sounds like a positive BARREL of laughs!

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
Schifty
Laurie Daley

Post by Schifty »

greeneyed wrote: May 28, 2018, 2:45 pm
cholztrad wrote: May 28, 2018, 11:01 am
Fair enough to call me out on that!

PS I’m not the forum owner... just one of the Administrators.
Really?

Does the ownership structure means a canary in the Cayman Island owns it?
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

T_R has The GH negatively geared for tax deduction purposes
Schifty
Laurie Daley

Post by Schifty »

gangrenous wrote: May 28, 2018, 6:19 pm T_R has The GH negatively geared for tax deduction purposes
Prob claimed the first forum owner grant as well.
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

Been deliberately running the place at a loss for years

-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

gangrenous wrote:T_R has The GH negatively geared for tax deduction purposes
I've heard the TheGH is a registered charity for Raiders related mental and physical illnesses