A new Canberra Stadium

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

Where would you like a new Canberra Stadium to be built?

Civic
82%
Bruce
12%
Mitchell
6%

Total votes: 67

Raidernation
Alan Tongue
Favourite Player: Stuart

Re: A new Canberra Stadium

Post by Raidernation »

Billy Walker wrote: February 15, 2024, 11:02 pm
Raidernation wrote: February 15, 2024, 10:23 pm There is this oval in the heart of manuka that barely gets used which would be a good spot for a stadium. Just saying.
Barely gets used you say - AFL, Big Bash, International cricket (men’s and women’s). I’d imagine it host more fixtures annually than Bruce does.
I'd imagine it doesn't and by a ways.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Post by Billy Walker »

Raidernation wrote: February 16, 2024, 6:08 am
Raidernation wrote: February 15, 2024, 10:23 pm There is this oval in the heart of manuka that barely gets used which would be a good spot for a stadium. Just saying.
Barely gets used you say - AFL, Big Bash, International cricket (men’s and women’s). I’d imagine it host more fixtures annually than Bruce does.
I’d be curious to find out but I’m too lazy to research.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Raidernation wrote:There is this oval in the heart of manuka that barely gets used which would be a good spot for a stadium. Just saying.
It's heritage listed, it's not getting touched
Raidernation
Alan Tongue

Post by Raidernation »

Billy Walker wrote: February 16, 2024, 6:44 am
Raidernation wrote: February 16, 2024, 6:08 am
I’d be curious to find out but I’m too lazy to research.
Same
Raidernation
Alan Tongue

Post by Raidernation »

-TW- wrote: February 16, 2024, 8:06 am
Raidernation wrote:There is this oval in the heart of manuka that barely gets used which would be a good spot for a stadium. Just saying.
It's heritage listed, it's not getting touched
Who's the idiot who heritage listed manuka oval?
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

Haha, good luck finding parking for 30000 fans to attend a game at Manuka oval. The roads melt down with a 13,000 crowd.

Seriously, some of you blokes. Civic could barely accommodate traffic for 30,000. Manuka would be a disaster.

BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

Seiffert82 wrote:Haha, good luck finding parking for 30000 fans to attend a game at Manuka oval. The roads melt down with a 13,000 crowd.

Seriously, some of you blokes. Civic could barely accommodate traffic for 30,000. Manuka would be a disaster.
You are spot on about Manuka.

But Civic easily accommodates way more than 30,000 people every single day without much difficulty. The recent drone show had way more people and was hardly a blip on the radar.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

BJ wrote:
Seiffert82 wrote:Haha, good luck finding parking for 30000 fans to attend a game at Manuka oval. The roads melt down with a 13,000 crowd.

But Civic easily accommodates way more than 30,000 people every single day without much difficulty. The recent drone show had way more people and was hardly a blip on the radar.
Wasn't it a reason for spending billions of dollars on a tram? Creating future proof transport infrastructure to help mobilise the Canberra population?

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Shoving it in your face since 2017
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

gerg wrote:
BJ wrote:

Wasn't it a reason for spending billions of dollars on a tram? Creating future proof transport infrastructure to help mobilise the Canberra population?

Yep. Billion dollar Tram and less overall public transport commuters going through Civic than when there was just buses.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

BJ wrote: February 17, 2024, 7:40 am

The NCA says 40,000 people attended over 4 nights but don’t let facts get in the way of a good story.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

I see Groovin the moo has just cancelled their festival tour because of a lack of sales. It's hard for regional cities to sustain interest in their music scene I guess. Promoters are putting their 'hard earned' on the line.

-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

gerg wrote:I see Groovin the moo has just cancelled their festival tour because of a lack of sales. It's hard for regional cities to sustain interest in their music scene I guess. Promoters are putting their 'hard earned' on the line.

The line up was absolutely **** house and nobody bought tickets
BJ
Steve Walters

A new Canberra Stadium

Post by BJ »

Billy Walker wrote:

The NCA says 40,000 people attended over 4 nights but don’t let facts get in the way of a good story.
Yes you’re right Billy. I think I confused events ACT on 666 talking about Summernats visitors not the Drone show.

Either way Civic has many tens of thousands of workers, students and visitors in and out every day. Which was more the point I was making.

Not sure how many will be at the Multicultural Festival?
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

BJ wrote:
Billy Walker wrote:

Yes you’re right Billy. I think I confused events ACT on 666 talking about Summernats visitors not the Drone show.

Either way Civic has many tens of thousands of workers, students and visitors in and out every day. Which was more the point I was making.

Over 100k last year
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

-TW- wrote: February 17, 2024, 2:05 pm
BJ wrote:
Billy Walker wrote:

Over 100k last year
It’s a brilliant festival! That 100k is over 3 days over a massive area outside of office hours and traffic and parking around the city isn’t easy going.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga

Post by Seiffert82 »

BJ wrote:

There's a massive difference between 40,000 people over a number of hours and 30,000 people trying to get through the gates of a stadium at the same time.

All good, I appreciate nobody thinks this is a traffic management issue. The fact is, it absolutely is. I'm very familiar with that end of the city. It would completely gridlock.

Sent from my CPH2021 using Tapatalk

Seiffert82
Mal Meninga

Post by Seiffert82 »

Billy Walker wrote:
-TW- wrote: February 17, 2024, 2:05 pm
BJ wrote:
Billy Walker wrote:
BJ wrote: February 17, 2024, 7:40 am You are spot on about Manuka.

Over 100k last year
It’s a brilliant festival! That 100k is over 3 days over a massive area outside of office hours and traffic and parking around the city isn’t easy going.
I went to the festival today. There would easily be over 100,000 people there today. It was excellent.

But again, it's an entirely different story to move 30,000 in and out of a venue in a 30-60 minute period. You know it.

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

We're not moving them in and out in a 30-60 minute period. People will park in a range of places over the city and walk over. There are a heap of ways in and out of Civic. 30,000 people in cars aren't going to descend on Constitution Avenue. There'd be much less congestion than at the current stadium, where there are basically only two roads in and out.
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

There’s over 20,000 carapaces around Civic and over 5000 in the Canberra Centre alone. A 30,000 crowd won’t be an issue for a Sports Stadium that will never be built in that area anyway.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga

Post by Seiffert82 »

greeneyed wrote:We're not moving them in and out in a 30-60 minute period. People will park in a range of places over the city and walk over. There are a heap of ways in and out of Civic. 30,000 people in cars aren't going to descend on Constitution Avenue. There'd be much less congestion than at the current stadium, where there are basically only two roads in and out.
OK.

It's irrelevant, but you can't have a stadium at one end of the city and limited car parking facilities that are based around servicing a shopping centre and assume there will be no traffic issues.

I don't agree, but history shows I don't agree with most people here on this matter.

BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

Seiffert82 wrote:
greeneyed wrote:We're not moving them in and out in a 30-60 minute period. People will park in a range of places over the city and walk over. There are a heap of ways in and out of Civic. 30,000 people in cars aren't going to descend on Constitution Avenue. There'd be much less congestion than at the current stadium, where there are basically only two roads in and out.
OK.

It's irrelevant, but you can't have a stadium at one end of the city and limited car parking facilities that are based around servicing a shopping centre and assume there will be no traffic issues.

I don't agree, but history shows I don't agree with most people here on this matter.
There’s over ten thousand car parks within 1KM of the proposed stadium site.

As for “one end of the city”. Ummm we’re talking Canberra not Los Angelis or Sydney.

People would happily walk from the Library Finance car parks from the other side of the Lake. I walk about 1.5km from either the CIT or Dryandra st each home game.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga

Post by Seiffert82 »

BJ wrote:
Seiffert82 wrote:
OK.

As for “one end of the city”. Ummm we’re talking Canberra not Los Angelis or Sydney.

People would happily walk from the Library Finance car parks from the other side of the Lake. I walk about 1.5km from either the CIT or Dryandra st each home game.
Yep and there's the other 7000 cars that need a park in Bruce for big games, which will also be the case in the city.

People can pretend that has no impact on a Friday or Saturday night all they like, but it's an actual issue.

gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Seiffert82 wrote:
BJ wrote:
Seiffert82 wrote:
OK.

Yep and there's the other 7000 cars that need a park in Bruce for big games, which will also be the case in the city.

People can pretend that has no impact on a Friday or Saturday night all they like, but it's an actual issue.

The city is far easier to get to with public transport than Bruce. You hang around too long after the game currently and take your chances that there is still a bus there and it's a bloody long walk, or a cab fare if not. A fair portion of people on the bus pile off at civic to go have a drink after a game. I'd say the number of people that currently drive to the game would reduce with a civic stadium because it's not in the middle of nowhere and there is entertainment there for before and after a game. As ACT taxpayers we've been sold this story of a tram to fix all our transport problems so surely moving 30,000 people into and out of our city shouldn't be a problem?

Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

Having been to plenty of games at Bruce, and plenty of games at Lang Park, I can tell you that the crowd movement is very different. Sure, you'll always get those people who rock up to the Lang Park precinct just in time for the game, and then go home immediately after. But a significant proportion of the crowd are in pubs a restaurants throughout the city and Milton before the game, and hang around Caxton St or the city afterwards.

Having a stadium at Bruce necessitates that everyone rocks up at once and leaves at once, because there is nothing else to do there. It creates a bigger demand on the transport system than having it in the city. The city would cope just fine having a stadium there.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

gerg wrote: February 17, 2024, 11:40 pm
Seiffert82 wrote:
BJ wrote:
Seiffert82 wrote:
OK.

The city is far easier to get to with public transport than Bruce. You hang around too long after the game currently and take your chances that there is still a bus there and it's a bloody long walk, or a cab fare if not. A fair portion of people on the bus pile off at civic to go have a drink after a game. I'd say the number of people that currently drive to the game would reduce with a civic stadium because it's not in the middle of nowhere and there is entertainment there for before and after a game. As ACT taxpayers we've been sold this story of a tram to fix all our transport problems so surely moving 30,000 people into and out of our city shouldn't be a problem?

There are 14 trams each with the ability to carry 207 people :hmmm
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

As mentioned in the thread before. The trams only become important for a stadium, when tram lines run from all over the city and converge on a centrally located stadium. So trams could do a good bit of the transport to a Civic Stadium. Provided there's more than one line from Gungahlin to the city. But they'll never be able to do that for a stadium on a branch line ie at Bruce. You can't line up enough trams on a branch line to achieve that. Trams can't do what a heavy rail system does in terms of shifting large numbers of people.
BJ
Steve Walters

A new Canberra Stadium

Post by BJ »

Yeah that was an interesting point by Keiran Perkins on radio during the week who highlighted that the MCG can line up twenty trains and take 30,000 people in the first 20-30 minutes. Light rail to Bruce might move 2000 in the same time period.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

Seiffert82 wrote:
BJ wrote:
Seiffert82 wrote:
OK.

Based on the few post above - I’d say the tram is not your friend to make your argument on this one Gergs.
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

The Tram is the friend of all….. (Chief Ministers’ who sign up for it , business case unseen to win the balance of power following a poor election result).
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Billy Walker wrote:
Seiffert82 wrote:
BJ wrote:
Seiffert82 wrote:OK.

Based on the few post above - I’d say the tram is not your friend to make your argument on this one Gergs.
I'm just trying to represent the tram / transport strategy that was sold to all of us.

https://www.transport.act.gov.au/act-tr ... cient-city

The very first few sentences....

Canberra’s public transport helps make our city less congested, more sustainable and more equitable. Attractive, convenient and connected public transport is critical to achieving a more compact, efficient and liveable city. 

BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

Spot on Gerg.

Remember when many of us got all those ACT Government brochures and newsletters regularly delivered to our houses promoting “More Buses, More Often” across 2018 and 2019.

Then the ACT government took away our local bus stop and bus service and pretended that it was all part of some grand plan.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

gerg wrote: February 18, 2024, 3:32 pm
Billy Walker wrote:
Seiffert82 wrote:
BJ wrote: There’s over ten thousand car parks within 1KM of the proposed stadium site.

I'm just trying to represent the tram / transport strategy that was sold to all of us.

https://www.transport.act.gov.au/act-tr ... cient-city

The very first few sentences....

Canberra’s public transport helps make our city less congested, more sustainable and more equitable. Attractive, convenient and connected public transport is critical to achieving a more compact, efficient and liveable city. 

Where is the bit that promises to cater for mass movements associated with events at a future City stadium? I don’t think anything you quoted is untrue.
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

Billy the main caption from the ACT government website is “World class public transport for a compact, efficient city”.

If Canberra’s public transport network is “world class”, then Danny Levi is a world class player too.

Do any public transport experts around the world when speaking at conferences or lecture halls hold up Canberra’s public transport system as something other cities should aspire to?
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga

Post by Seiffert82 »

greeneyed wrote:As mentioned in the thread before. The trams only become important for a stadium, when tram lines run from all over the city and converge on a centrally located stadium. So trams could do a good bit of the transport to a Civic Stadium. Provided there's more than one line from Gungahlin to the city. But they'll never be able to do that for a stadium on a branch line ie at Bruce. You can't line up enough trams on a branch line to achieve that. Trams can't do what a heavy rail system does in terms of shifting large numbers of people.
Exactly right. You could configure a station at the AIS precinct that could allow trams to run concurrently north to Gungahlin and south to the city. At ~200 passengers per tram (about the same as a reticulated bus) , you could maybe move 400 people every 4-5 minutes. So that would absolutely need to be supplemented by buses as it's certainly not the type of system to move a significant proportion of a 30,000 crowd.

However, Canberra being Canberra, the vast majority of patrons are going to drive, irrespective of where the stadium is located.

Also, in the middle of winter, the concept of 10,000 people hanging out in the city waiting for a night game is actually a bit hard for me to believe. Perhaps a different story for a finals game as the weather warms up in Spring.

Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

BJ wrote: February 18, 2024, 4:39 pm Billy the main caption from the ACT government website is “World class public transport for a compact, efficient city”.

If Canberra’s public transport network is “world class”, then Danny Levi is a world class player too. Image

Do any public transport experts around the world when speaking at conferences or lecture halls hold up Canberra’s public transport system as something other cities should aspire to?
This independent verifier says it will be a world class system once complete

https://www.latstudios.com.au/projects/ ... ht-rail-iv

On that basis, and given yours and others complaints about the current system, surely the ACT Government should focus investment towards it’s completion rather than throwing cash as something that will only benefit footy fans who don’t own a good beanie.

I’d also suggest a footballer that has played over 100 games across the two best leagues in the world, and has represented two countries internationally including at a World Cup would be the very definition of world class.