A new Canberra Stadium

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

Where would you like a new Canberra Stadium to be built?

Civic
82%
Bruce
12%
Mitchell
6%

Total votes: 67

Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Re: A new Canberra Stadium?

Post by Dr Zaius »

-TW- wrote:Yet the government won't allow a private consortium to fund it either..

I'm pretty sure a group of Super funds would line up to fund it, with a deal to sell it back to the government in 20 years or so, Etihad Stadium style

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk
I might be off the mark with this, but I thought that the most significant cost was the realignment or tunnelling of Parkes Way
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

New Stadium won’t happen until at least 2025.

Sulwood Drive duplication promised in 1979. Still single lane.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

Dr Zaius wrote: March 17, 2021, 8:43 pm
-TW- wrote:Yet the government won't allow a private consortium to fund it either..

I'm pretty sure a group of Super funds would line up to fund it, with a deal to sell it back to the government in 20 years or so, Etihad Stadium style

I might be off the mark with this, but I thought that the most significant cost was the realignment or tunnelling of Parkes Way
That is certainly a big consideration. They are already having to do some major roadwork in the vicinity, to raise London Circuit to level it out with Commonwealth Avenue for the light rail extension. While the traffic is being seriously disrupted in the area, they should definitely consider the realignment of Parkes Way in the same project.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

BJ wrote: March 17, 2021, 9:45 pm New Stadium won’t happen until at least 2025.

No hope of that with the current Chief Minister. 2035 maybe.
Roger Kenworthy
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki, J-Lo, Jordan Rapana

Post by Roger Kenworthy »

Andrew Abdo wants a stadium.

Reminds me of when I wanted a date with Jennifer Aniston in 1996. Never happened.
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Phil Graham

A new Canberra Stadium?

Post by FuiFui BradBrad »

Dr Zaius wrote:What is an infinity bowl?
I think it’s where Thanos stored the Infinity Stones while the Gauntlet was being made
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has done a superb job - 18/12/2020
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Fuifui Bradbrad wrote:
Dr Zaius wrote:What is an infinity bowl?
I think it’s where Thanos stored the Infinity Stones while the Gauntlet was being made
Fui I was thinking very similar, but I had the infinity bowl as a place he 'passes' the infinity stones.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Shoving it in your face since 2017
yurithe1
David Furner
Favourite Player: Jordan Rapana

Post by yurithe1 »

Botman wrote: March 17, 2021, 7:21 pm
simo wrote: March 17, 2021, 12:30 pm
Botman wrote: March 17, 2021, 12:26 pm
simo wrote: March 17, 2021, 10:46 am the nrl should be saying the act gov has until 2023 to have signed off on a new civic stadium or canberra will no longer host finals games.
I doubt such a threat would even register on the ACT GOV radar.
i disagree. that finals time atmoshpere around canberra was the absolute best. another couple of those and people will be crying out to make it continue
That **** only matters when the sitting governement is at risk of actually losing power. Canberra arent going to vote in a LNP party anytime soon. So they'll do it on their terms and their terms only, they're not losing enough votes on this for it to even remotely matter.

Barr as per above has already said forget about until 2025, thats the carrot at the end of the stick. I'd be stunned if we have a new stadium committed to and in progress before 2027-28, and absolutely nothing the NRL threaten the Raiders with will change that. Other factors might change that timeline, but not threats from the NRL
Let's face it, if the AFL were to say they were going to block any more games coming to Canberra, it would be a close race between Barr **** himself and finding the money.

The idea of the NRL withdrawing finals games would not really matter to him apart from the revenue from fans visiting the ACT.
Some people talk about the weather. Others do something about it.

MEMBER NO.: 4500 (before they changed the numbering system).
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

BJ Mole reporting that AFL boss wants upgrade to corporate box at GWS game. Andrew Barr promises work to start this afternoon.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

yurithe1 wrote: March 18, 2021, 10:33 am
Botman wrote: March 17, 2021, 7:21 pm
simo wrote: March 17, 2021, 12:30 pm
Botman wrote: March 17, 2021, 12:26 pm
simo wrote: March 17, 2021, 10:46 am the nrl should be saying the act gov has until 2023 to have signed off on a new civic stadium or canberra will no longer host finals games.
I doubt such a threat would even register on the ACT GOV radar.
i disagree. that finals time atmoshpere around canberra was the absolute best. another couple of those and people will be crying out to make it continue
That **** only matters when the sitting governement is at risk of actually losing power. Canberra arent going to vote in a LNP party anytime soon. So they'll do it on their terms and their terms only, they're not losing enough votes on this for it to even remotely matter.

Barr as per above has already said forget about until 2025, thats the carrot at the end of the stick. I'd be stunned if we have a new stadium committed to and in progress before 2027-28, and absolutely nothing the NRL threaten the Raiders with will change that. Other factors might change that timeline, but not threats from the NRL
Let's face it, if the AFL were to say they were going to block any more games coming to Canberra, it would be a close race between Barr **** himself and finding the money.

The idea of the NRL withdrawing finals games would not really matter to him apart from the revenue from fans visiting the ACT.
Unfortunately so.
Which is a shame because generally speaking i think the Barr government does a pretty good job, but it is clear they aren't huge RL or Raiders fans. So yeah, they're not going to alter their stadium plans unless it is motivated by other means. I honestly think unless Australia won a WC or an AFL team came to town properly, the best case scenario in 2030 is we're sitting in a "renovated" Bruce Stadium
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga

Post by Seiffert82 »

It's kinda weird, because Barr was a big Raiders fan when he was in high school. In saying that, it was the late 90's, so we pretty much all were.
Lui_Bon
Jason Croker

Post by Lui_Bon »

Seiffert82 wrote: March 18, 2021, 11:52 am It's kinda weird, because Barr was a big Raiders fan when he was in high school. In saying that, it was the late 90's, so we pretty much all were.
Bit sad, so he missed the actual success and just had Matt Elliot-style Raiders to go on. No wonder he doesn't like us.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga

Post by Seiffert82 »

Lui_Bon wrote: March 18, 2021, 10:00 pm
Seiffert82 wrote: March 18, 2021, 11:52 am It's kinda weird, because Barr was a big Raiders fan when he was in high school. In saying that, it was the late 90's, so we pretty much all were.
Bit sad, so he missed the actual success and just had Matt Elliot-style Raiders to go on. No wonder he doesn't like us.
Good point. Late 80's.

I'm getting old. :(
yurithe1
David Furner

Post by yurithe1 »

To be fair, that precedes self-government, which residents rejected in a referendum twice. Thanks, Hawkey.

Probably no one remembers that was a thing back then.

Everyone will remember how long this stadium schnemozzle has dragged out.

BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

yurithe1 wrote:

To be fair, that precedes self-government, which residents rejected in a referendum twice. Thanks, Hawkey.

Does that mean any commitments, rulings, zoning decisions or development work before self government doesn’t count?

You should note Sulwood dr duplication was first promised in the 70s and reiterated by local members of the Follet and Stanhope Governments. They even did some road grading and prep for duplication many years ago that you can still see to this day. Same with Erindale dr West of the service station.

Pretty weak if you can claim that because something was first promised before self government then all bets are off. But you said “that’s fair”.
yurithe1
David Furner

Post by yurithe1 »

BJ wrote: March 22, 2021, 12:48 pm
yurithe1 wrote:

Does that mean any commitments, rulings, zoning decisions or development work before self government doesn’t count?

You should note Sulwood dr duplication was first promised in the 70s and reiterated by local members of the Follet and Stanhope Governments. They even did some road grading and prep for duplication many years ago that you can still see to this day. Same with Erindale dr West of the service station.

Pretty weak if you can claim that because something was first promised before self government then all bets are off. But you said “that’s fair”.
I wasn't aware of any commitments made after self-government came in. It would've helped if you'd mentioned that.

BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

I think I’d get carpal tunnel syndrome if I had to type the ever continuing pre election commitments from politicians. No matter which party, electorate or level of government.

How about a fast train......

That’s a great one for a local member to bring up in the months leading up to an election.

New indoor sporting arena in the south of Canberra is always another doozy.
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Phil Graham

Post by FuiFui BradBrad »

BJ wrote: March 22, 2021, 2:05 pm I think I’d get carpal tunnel syndrome if I had to type the ever continuing pre election commitments from politicians. No matter which party, electorate or level of government. Image

How about a fast train......

That’s a great one for a local member to bring up in the months leading up to an election.

New indoor sporting arena in the south of Canberra is always another doozy.
I feel like the three most dragged out topics along these lines in my life are
  • Canberra bullet train
  • Audi / VW / Porsche group entering F1
  • New Canberra stadium
Honerable mention to Canberra getting an A League team
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has done a superb job - 18/12/2020
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

Good point Fui. Canberra getting an A League team (we have a hidden rich benefactor in the wings) is rolled out at every expansion discussion.
Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Post by Matt »

Fui isn't wrong
yurithe1
David Furner

Post by yurithe1 »

So, there IS money in the kitty. Redistribute it to Canberra Hospital and making a start on the stadium.

https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14225

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

ACT Chief Minister Andrew Barr puts the kibosh on a new Canberra Stadium in Civic until late 2020s

ACT Chief Minister Andrew Barr has put off a new Civic Stadium before the late 2020s, stating the cost of grants and tax concessions to businesses this year due to COVID was in excess of $475 million.

The government's focus in the next four years will be the Woden light rail extension and the Canberra Hospital expansion. That means there'll be no money for a Civic stadium until after 2025, with construction unable to begin before then.

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14280
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

We'll all be dead in the ground before Andrew Barr ever prioritises a new stadium
Mickey_Raider
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Big Papa

Post by Mickey_Raider »

Botman wrote: October 6, 2021, 5:51 pm We'll all be dead in the ground before Andrew Barr ever prioritises a new stadium
If it were to benefit the AFL in any way he would have built it long ago.
Up The Milk
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

How do you put the kibosh on something that wasn't even planned? You could be mistaken for thinking that plans were in place, contracts exchanged and fluoro vest Johno is at the construction site with the shovel poised. Andrew Barr with a last minute call to Johno to put the shovel back down.
Shoving it in your face since 2017
Timbo
David Furner
Favourite Player: Hudson Young

Post by Timbo »

When they put the new video board in at Bruce it was a sign to me that a new stadium had been moved from the back burner, off the stove and back into the fridge.

You don’t invest that much money in something if you’re planning on replacing it shortly. I think that’s what we’ll end up getting, hodgepodge replacements and upgrades here and there for various parts of Bruce Stadium.
Sometimes the light at the end of the tunnel is just the train that's about to hit you.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Mickey_Raider wrote: October 6, 2021, 5:59 pm
Botman wrote: October 6, 2021, 5:51 pm We'll all be dead in the ground before Andrew Barr ever prioritises a new stadium
If it were to benefit the AFL in any way he would have built it long ago.
Sadly, this is probably correct.
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

None of us saw this coming!

Just like none of us saw Josh Dugan breaking Covid protocols.
yurithe1
David Furner

Post by yurithe1 »

Forget a new stadium. We need the Federal Government to make a decision on Canberra Stadium. Hopefully, they'd be willing to hand it over for a small sum of money and the ACT Government can make improvements to it until building a new stadium is fiscally doable. As it stands, ACT debt is going to be pretty bad for a number of years and us ratepayers are going to be slugged with an extra 3 point something per cent increase on land rates.

By all accounts, this idiotic tram to Woden idea is due to Labor needing the Greens' support to stay in government. I sure as hell won't be voting for either of them next time around, not that I did last time for all the good it did.

Timbo
David Furner
Favourite Player: Hudson Young

Post by Timbo »

I think in the next few years they'll say that they've managed to scrape together $50m or something similar and smear as much lipstick on the pig as they possibly can - but it'll be spun to be an amazing achievement by a government who has faced a ton of financial adversity but has managed to give a great gift to the people of Canberra.
Sometimes the light at the end of the tunnel is just the train that's about to hit you.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

yurithe1 wrote:So, there IS money in the kitty. Redistribute it to Canberra Hospital and making a start on the stadium.

The hospital is being rebuilt over the next 5 years

Colk
Dean Lance
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by Colk »

yurithe1 wrote: March 22, 2021, 12:32 pm

What a time to be alive! People actually had power in those days
Colk
Dean Lance
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by Colk »

yurithe1 wrote: October 7, 2021, 11:07 am Forget a new stadium. We need the Federal Government to make a decision on Canberra Stadium. Hopefully, they'd be willing to hand it over for a small sum of money and the ACT Government can make improvements to it until building a new stadium is fiscally doable. As it stands, ACT debt is going to be pretty bad for a number of years and us ratepayers are going to be slugged with an extra 3 point something per cent increase on land rates.

By all accounts, this idiotic tram to Woden idea is due to Labor needing the Greens' support to stay in government. I sure as hell won't be voting for either of them next time around, not that I did last time for all the good it did.
There is probably a deeper question about the worth of state governments in there somewhere
BJ
Steve Walters

A new Canberra Stadium?

Post by BJ »

-TW- wrote:
yurithe1 wrote:So, there IS money in the kitty. Redistribute it to.

For clarity, The hospital was promised to be rebuilt over the ‘last’ 5 years.
yurithe1
David Furner

Post by yurithe1 »

-TW- wrote: October 8, 2021, 2:26 pm
yurithe1 wrote:So, there IS money in the kitty. Redistribute it to Canberra Hospital and making a start on the stadium.

You'll notice that my remarks were made back in March.