A new Canberra Stadium

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

Where would you like a new Canberra Stadium to be built?

Civic
82%
Bruce
12%
Mitchell
6%

Total votes: 67

BJ
Steve Walters

Re: A new Canberra Stadium?

Post by BJ »

yurithe1 wrote:
-TW- wrote: October 8, 2021, 2:26 pm
yurithe1 wrote:So, there IS money in the kitty. Redistribute it to Canberra Hospital and making a start on the stadium.

https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14225
The hospital is being rebuilt over the next 5 years

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk
You'll notice that my remarks were made back in March.
March 2014 Image
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

How yet another delay for new stadium will impact the Canberra Raiders

Confirmation from the ACT Government that there will be no work on a proposed indoor sports stadium in Civic – potentially on the site of Canberra Olympic Pool – until later this decade should come as no surprise. With the likelihood that a number of Sydney clubs will play home games at the new stadium at Moore Park and other Sydney boutique stadium proposals, the Canberra Raiders are fast becoming the poor cousins in the NRL.

Read more: https://the-riotact.com/how-yet-another ... rra/501468
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Meanwhile this is the SFS: https://www.sydneyfc.com/news/stadium-r ... 46ef33.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk
greeneyed
Don Furner

A new Canberra Stadium?

Post by greeneyed »

'It's holding us back as a city': David Pocock backs Civic stadium complex

Independent Senate candidate David Pocock is backing a proposal for a world-class national convention centre and stadium complex as a priority nation-building project. The former Wallabies captain will on Friday announce he is backing a multimillion-dollar concept design by GHDWoodhead for a large 20,000-seat stadium, combined with a large multipurpose convention centre.

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14264

The pics look glossy, but it’s not clear it’s feasible on that site. There’s no point building a new stadium with anything less than 25,000 capacity. A decent sized stadium doesn’t easily fit there. Looks like it hangs over the streets… and the orientation for grass growing is the other problem. At least it adds to the pressure, no major party is stepping up to get us a new stadium.
BJ
Steve Walters

A new Canberra Stadium?

Post by BJ »

Geez I thought the ACT government had announced and built this new stadium years ago!
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

'More life in her yet': ACT government to continue Canberra Stadium investment

The ACT government and Venues Canberra have announced an extension to the stadium's naming rights deal with GIO, with the company to extend its partnership until at least 2026. The Meninga Stand will then be 50 years old.

"We've invested millions of dollars into [Canberra Stadium]. We'll continue to do that for the next little while," said ACT Sport Minister Yvette Berry. "It's still got a little bit of life in her. We'll keep going for a little bit longer.

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14239
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Post by Billy Walker »

I remember watching a Canberra Arrows game at Bruce while the Raiders were at Seiffert and Mal was in Queensland.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

'We need first-class sporting facilities': Raiders still want Civic stadium

The Canberra Raiders and Brumbies hope a new stadium in Civic is still the main sporting infrastructure priority despite a new push to build a 10,000 seat venue in Wanniassa. Liberal Senator Zed Seselja is lobbying for an upgrade at Viking Park, which could cater for men's and women's soccer and rugby union. Federal funding for the project would likely directly compete with a new 25,000 capacity stadium in Civic.

Viking Park redevelopment threatens Canberra's grand stadium plan to revitalise Civic: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14280
mobrulesall
Tom Learoyd-Lahrs
Favourite Player: Andrew McFadden

Post by mobrulesall »

Not sure on Zed's logic for backing a Vikings upgrade. The proposed Civic location will cater to soccer as well. Respectfully, no one goes to Wanniassa to watch soccer....

Same drips who were anti rail I suppose..
BJ
Steve Walters

A new Canberra Stadium?

Post by BJ »

Question: How can you tell a local or federal election is coming?

Answer: Politicians start talking about new or improved sports stadiums in Canberra.

Question: How can you tell your in the middle of the local or federal election cycle.

Answer: Politicians announce there’s bigger priorities than improved sports stadiums in Canberra.
Raider Azz
Jason Croker

Post by Raider Azz »

mobrulesall wrote:Not sure on Zed's logic for backing a Vikings upgrade. The proposed Civic location will cater to soccer as well. Respectfully, no one goes to Wanniassa to watch soccer....

If Zed is proposing something you can bet he's got something to gain from it. My bet is someone affiliated with Vikings has deep pockets to contribute to Zed's campaign

Sent from my SM-N986B using Tapatalk

Roger Kenworthy
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki, J-Lo, Jordan Rapana

Post by Roger Kenworthy »

I have been reading this same article for almost 20 years. Here's to another 10.
Sid
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Shannon Boyd

Post by Sid »

GH fans

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk
Would have won Boogs - 2016, 2017, 2018

1 part green, 1 part machine
badonkadonk
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: CHICKA!

Post by badonkadonk »

Raider Azz wrote: March 17, 2022, 11:36 am
mobrulesall wrote:Not sure on Zed's logic for backing a Vikings upgrade. The proposed Civic location will cater to soccer as well. Respectfully, no one goes to Wanniassa to watch soccer....

If Zed is proposing something you can bet he's got something to gain from it. My bet is someone affiliated with Vikings has deep pockets to contribute to Zed's campaign

This.

Wouldn’t trust that bloke as far as you could throw him.

Looks like we’ll still be having this conversation about a new stadium for a loooong time to come yet…
Roger Kenworthy
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki, J-Lo, Jordan Rapana

Post by Roger Kenworthy »

Sid wrote: March 17, 2022, 4:56 pm GH fans

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk
:lol:

Turt
Brett Mullins

Post by Turt »

Back in his ACT gov days, Zed was responsible to funding upgrades to Gowrie oval, ignoring the rest of Tuggeranong. He certainly looks after his patch of grass.
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

Turt wrote:

Back in his ACT gov days, Zed was responsible to funding upgrades to Gowrie oval, ignoring the rest of Tuggeranong. He certainly looks after his patch of grass.
Yep you can trust an ACT politician to look after their local patch of dirt.

I laugh when Ainslie shops get a fancy stone wall toilet block and some outer suburbs shop gets a new steel toilet seat. Or the amazing sound reducing, expensive and pretty stone wall along the Cotter drive duplication at Curtin, compared to the dodgy wooden fence right next to the houses at Gowrie for the Ashley Dr duplication in Tuggeranong.

Barr and Rattenbury seem to consistently get very good facilities for their inner north electorate.
Lui_Bon
Jason Croker

Post by Lui_Bon »

Turt wrote: March 18, 2022, 7:59 am

Given his success with the Dutton Putsch, Zed's a man who couldn't count to 21 if he dropped his pants.
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

Good call Lui. If Zed can’t count then maybe he would have been perfect for Raiders crowd numbers a decade ago.
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

ABC News now have a further story on the stadium debate.

I’m not convinced by the journalist claims in it that

“Prior to the COVID-19 pandemic, talks of a new stadium appeared to be gaining momentum.

In 2018, Mr Barr was in discussions as to whether to build a new stadium in the city or buy and redevelop Canberra Stadium.”

The ACT government has been making sounds about a new stadium for well over a decade, but have claimed building it was stymied by Mr Fluffy, Light Rail stage 1, City to the Lake changes, Pandemic, a pothole and a lightbulb on Northbourne ave needed fixing……

How a sports stadium became a federal election issue for Canberra: https://www.abc.net.au/news/2022-03-19/ ... /100914510
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Coalition's Viking Park plan bad news for Canberra Raiders

Plans to secure federal funding for the redevelopment of Viking Park is bad news for Canberra Raiders fans.They had 15,224 at their round-one clash against Cronulla last weekend. That ramps up to above 24,000 come NRL finals. And that doesn't fit into 10,000 capacity Viking Park. And if Scomo et al planned on building a new Canberra Stadium, then why would they bother with a Viking Park breadcrumb?

Badger17
Ken Nagas

Post by Badger17 »

Putting the debate as to whether or not taxpayers dollars should go to upgrading a privately owned field to one side, we shouldn't allow it to become a debate between either a big stadium in the city or a smaller boutique stadium, as Canberra could use both a new major stadium in the city and a small boutique venue for smaller events.

If the argument is about which should come first then it's neither, because having a functional indoor arena to replace the AIS arena is much more important then any new stadium at this point. Of course the discussion is redundant because it's highly unlikely that any of it will actually happen.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Canberra Raiders find out how far behind other cities Canberra Stadium is

The Canberra Raiders found out how far behind Canberra is when they toured North Queensland Stadium on Saturday night and then the Cowboy's centre of excellence the following day.

"We're going to be behind small cities like Townsville, Penrith and Parramatta. Forget the capital cities, we're way behind them, even smaller regional towns have got better stadiums than us."

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14264
Raider Azz
Jason Croker

Post by Raider Azz »

Badger17 wrote: March 21, 2022, 12:28 am Putting the debate as to whether or not taxpayers dollars should go to upgrading a privately owned field to one side
But that isn't a debate... Canberra Stadium is owned by the government and a new stadium would be owned by them too.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Raider Azz wrote: March 21, 2022, 9:43 am
Badger17 wrote: March 21, 2022, 12:28 am Putting the debate as to whether or not taxpayers dollars should go to upgrading a privately owned field to one side
But that isn't a debate... Canberra Stadium is owned by the government and a new stadium would be owned by them too.
But Viking Park is privately owned.
Raider Azz
Jason Croker

Post by Raider Azz »

greeneyed wrote:
Yeah i don't think anyone outside of Zed and whoever EDIT for this funding wants viking park upgraded

100%green
Don Furner

Post by 100%green »

I still find it amazing that there's no one who wants to build it.

For example look at the amount of work a local company like Geocon (not that I'm advocating them) undertakes around Canberra and that the last time the ACT government was going to do something like this they were going use Grocon to do Manuka oval.

It's clear the government is not going to have the money anytime soon especially after Covid. It's also clear we need a new stadium in the city, a new indoor stadium (or an updated AIS Arena) and a new convention centre.

That's not even including ongoing work to Manuka that will continue for the foreseeable future to make sure it's in the running for events.

The only way you could see the government getting the money to build is to buy the land for GIO, AIS Arena and the running track then selling all of them for development.

So for arguments sale what's stopping the ACT government say getting a Geocon or another similar company to build a new stadium/convention centre then run it and take the profits for a set amount of time?

Is there about other way?

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

yurithe1
David Furner
Favourite Player: Jordan Rapana

Post by yurithe1 »

100%green wrote: March 21, 2022, 10:47 am I still find it amazing that there's no one who wants to build it.

For example look at the amount of work a local company like Geocon (not that I'm advocating them) undertakes around Canberra and that the last time the ACT government was going to do something like this they were going use Grocon to do Manuka oval.

It's clear the government is not going to have the money anytime soon especially after Covid. It's also clear we need a new stadium in the city, a new indoor stadium (or an updated AIS Arena) and a new convention centre.

That's not even including ongoing work to Manuka that will continue for the foreseeable future to make sure it's in the running for events.

The only way you could see the government getting the money to build is to buy the land for GIO, AIS Arena and the running track then selling all of them for development.

So for arguments sale what's stopping the ACT government say getting a Geocon or another similar company to build a new stadium/convention centre then run it and take the profits for a set amount of time?

I recall many years ago before Manuka Oval was redeveloped, a private consortium made an unsolicited offer to do the work, but the Labor government knocked it on the head. If there was a reason given, other than it was an unsolicited offer, then I missed it.

The stumbling block the Barr government keeps pushing is that the Federal Government is not giving any indication of what its plans are for Bruce Stadium.You can bet that if Federal Labor wins this coming election, that decision will be made just in time for the next ACT election.

Meanwhile, Yvette Berry says that there's still life in the Stadium that will take it to at least 2026. Four frigging years and no plan as to what to do when the time comes.
Some people talk about the weather. Others do something about it.

MEMBER NO.: 4500 (before they changed the numbering system).
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

yurithe1 wrote:
100%green wrote: March 21, 2022, 10:47 am I still find it amazing that there's no one who wants to build it.

I recall many years ago before Manuka Oval was redeveloped, a private consortium made an unsolicited offer to do the work, but the Labor government knocked it on the head. If there was a reason given, other than it was an unsolicited offer, then I missed it.

The stumbling block the Barr government keeps pushing is that the Federal Government is not giving any indication of what its plans are for Bruce Stadium.You can bet that if Federal Labor wins this coming election, that decision will be made just in time for the next ACT election.

Meanwhile, Yvette Berry says that there's still life in the Stadium that will take it to at least 2026. Four frigging years and no plan as to what to do when the time comes.
I could be wrong but the redevelopment of Manuka oval was quashed because of negative feedback from the community. GE could confirm this as he was distributing flaming torches and pitchforks for the gathering mob. The reason that a private company was involved in that process was because the proposal was a 'mixed' use precinct. So Geocon or whoever it was, was going to build xx number of apartments and retail space to make a profit.
Shoving it in your face since 2017
100%green
Don Furner

Post by 100%green »

yurithe1 wrote:

I think both sides are full of it personally.

They could work out something with the AIS tomorrow if they wanted to. States have taken back the programs and the AIS while still a vital part of the Australian sporting system is important it isn't what it once was (which I think is a massive mistake).

Ideally the Federal government should pump a bit into the while precinct but they won't.

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

The problem is this. Stadiums don't make money. They don't generate a commercial rate of return. They are a mixed public/private good. You can exclude people from using it, and charge people to use it and to enter it. So it has those characteristics of a private good. But the massive cost of the infrastructure means that they're not commercially viable. There aren't enough events and/or events that generate lots of money, to make them pay, in Australia at least.

That's why governments build them, in general. Because they believe that there are public benefits to having large stadiums, to allow communities to gather for sporting and other events. They generally try and justify that on the basis of broader (private) benefits to tourism and other economic activity, but most proper cost benefit analyses show they don't stack up (particularly as the taxation required displaces other private sector activity). Basically, governments take a leap of faith and say that there are unquantifiable public benefits to having stadiums.

The only way private companies would want to do something like the proposed Manuka Oval redevelopment is that governments gift them land or other assets/rights that allow them to incorporate things (like apartments or other commercial developments) that will generate them additional other revenues. The gifts come at public cost, of course, in various forms.

Re an earlier post, I did oppose the private proposal to redevelop Manuka Oval, as I don't think it befitted a residential area, and one with strong heritage values. It was properly rejected, as governments should decide if they want to do such a thing first... and then tender out for the best deal.
Badger17
Ken Nagas

Post by Badger17 »

Raider Azz wrote: March 21, 2022, 10:10 am
greeneyed wrote:
Yeah i don't think anyone outside of Zed and whoever EDIT for this funding wants viking park upgraded

To be fair Canberra could really use a solid boutique venue for smaller teams, and Wanniassa would be as good a place as any for it.

You do have to wonder what the Vikings are offering Zed and Libs though, aside from the perfect opportunity for a little pork-barrelling.
Timbo
David Furner
Favourite Player: Hudson Young

Post by Timbo »

yurithe1 wrote: March 21, 2022, 11:18 am
Bruce's biggest problem is that it remains 'fine'.

All-seater, 25,000. Plenty of parking. Public transport is suboptimal but not impossible to navigate. Not enough covered seats but that's hardly a dealbreaker in this league.

There is nothing about Bruce that screams 'we need this replaced as a matter of urgency' like Brookie's asbestos hill or Dairy Farmers scaffolding stands starting to corrode.

A bit of concrete cancer wouldn't go astray.
Sometimes the light at the end of the tunnel is just the train that's about to hit you.
100%green
Don Furner

Post by 100%green »

Timbo wrote:
yurithe1 wrote: March 21, 2022, 11:18 am
Bruce's biggest problem is that it remains 'fine'.

All-seater, 25,000. Plenty of parking. Public transport is suboptimal but not impossible to navigate. Not enough covered seats but that's hardly a dealbreaker in this league.

There is nothing about Bruce that screams 'we need this replaced as a matter of urgency' like Brookie's asbestos hill or Dairy Farmers scaffolding stands starting to corrode.

A bit of concrete cancer wouldn't go astray.
Correct, GIO is still way ahead of most Sydney teams.

Brookie, Liechardt, Campbeltown, Shark Park, even Panthers (though it's about to be demolished) are all still behind even an outdated GIO.

I think that's why maybe getting someone to build and run say a new convention/stadium precinct in the city would be a good idea. Problem is space.

BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

Good point Timbo. The Meninga Stand apparently hits its 50 year lifespan in 2027, but I’m not sure whether this timeline is simply a guide or a real issue that may affect its use, insurance, safety, etc

I doubt the Meninga stand is about to fall down, but the stadium may strike administrative problems or massive hikes in insurance by using it beyond its approved life. It suddenly turns into another AIS arena issue where you’re restricted by administration rules and limitations.