A new Canberra Stadium

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

Where would you like a new Canberra Stadium to be built?

Civic
82%
Bruce
12%
Mitchell
6%

Total votes: 67

Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Re: A new Canberra Stadium?

Post by Dr Zaius »

I'm hearing that the ACT Government is planning on selling off the civic pool site to private developers
SeeBee101
David Grant
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson

Post by SeeBee101 »

A staged rebuild would be horrible. The stadium needs to be bulldozed. Fans are so far away from the action presently that doing it in stages would effect sight lines from quite a lot of the inner bowl and terraces.
Timbo
David Furner
Favourite Player: Hudson Young

Post by Timbo »

I'd rather they spend a bit on Viking Park and make it into a usable ~12,000 seat venue and we play there for a year while they do the whole thing in one hit.

Playing in a building site would suck.
Sometimes the light at the end of the tunnel is just the train that's about to hit you.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

They should just play at Manuka if they need an alternative for a year. I don't think they should spend a whole pile of public money on a privately owned rugby union ground in Tuggeranong.
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

greeneyed wrote:They should just play at Manuka if they need an alternative for a year. I don't think they should spend a whole pile of public money on a privately owned rugby union ground in Tuggeranong.
I think it’s about needing a second boutique rectangular ground somewhere in Canberra for mid crowd drawing sports like Womens soccer, second tier rugby or maybe a rock concert.
yurithe1
David Furner
Favourite Player: Jordan Rapana

Post by yurithe1 »

Some concerning news has come out how the cost of building the Football (soccer) Hall of Fame has blown out from $24 million to an estimated $48 million.

Construction costs would hit a new or refurbished stadium in the same way. Barr and Co.would be well aware of this. So, continuously pushing back the start of any works is simply going to cost ratepayers more than necessary. The worst part is that they could claim they can't afford it, while continuing on with that pointless tram to Woden project.

Capital Football boss Chris Gardiner says the proposed Home of Football in Throsby needs urgent federal funding as fears grow the project costs could blow out to almost $50 million: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14280
Some people talk about the weather. Others do something about it.

MEMBER NO.: 4500 (before they changed the numbering system).
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

As a project developer mate of mine says. As soon as we know that it’s a government related construction development in Canberra, we can tack on an extra 30% for the ACT government who can be easily fooled and can never extract true value for money, and we also have to add an extra 20% in costs to ensure we keep the local unions happy and pay their high wage and staffing demands.

This article sounds like yet another example in that vein.
yurithe1
David Furner

Post by yurithe1 »

BJ wrote: August 3, 2022, 3:25 pm As a project developer mate of mine says. As soon as we know that it’s a government related construction development in Canberra, we can tack on an extra 30% for the ACT government who can be easily fooled and can never extract true value for money, and we also have to add an extra 20% in costs to ensure we keep the local unions happy and pay their high wage and staffing demands.

Damn, that's depressing.

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Stadium wars: What Canberra can learn from Peter V'Landys venue explosion with Dominic Perrottet

If only Peter V'Landys was interested in a new Canberra stadium. We might actually have some movement in the capital after 13 years of sporting infrastructure hope. Instead, the city is on the sidelines as a stadium war erupts in Sydney, with V'Landys intent on taking down NSW Premier Dominic Perrottet for reneging on $250 million worth of upgrades to suburban grounds.

There's a simple lesson for Barr and the ACT government out of all this. The longer they wait, the harder and more expensive the project becomes.

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14280

NRL’s $800m threat to NSW govt over stadium funding backflip as court battle looms: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... c1c0069b5d

V’landys slams Perrottet on Sydney stadium stoush: https://canberraweekly.com.au/vlandys-s ... um-stoush/
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

yurithe1 wrote:
BJ wrote: August 3, 2022, 3:25 pm As a project developer mate of mine says. As soon as we know that it’s a government related construction development in Canberra, we can tack on an extra 30% for the ACT government who can be easily fooled and can never extract true value for money, and we also have to add an extra 20% in costs to ensure we keep the local unions happy and pay their high wage and staffing demands.

Damn, that's depressing.
I’m depressed he’s gone from an award wage apprentice in his mid 20s to driving an Audi SUV that I never even knew existed as an option and his weekend fun car is a Mercedes sports car that was worth triple what I thought it was.
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

Spending hundreds of millions raising London Cct and filling in lake burley griffin.

Maybe fill in a bit more lake and build the stadium there or embed the new stadium into the London circuit clover leaf.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

'Now's not the time': Why Andrew Barr's $1b Canberra stadium claim is disingenuous

ACT Chief Minister Andrew Barr has described a new Canberra Stadium as a $1 billion project, almost double the price of what the ACT government's own feasibility report suggests. It's disingenuous at best, and hostile at worst.

"Now is not the time to pitch for a new space port for a Canberra or a second airport, or a $2 billion convention centre or a $1 billion football stadium," Barr said at post-budget lunch this week. He also said the stadium was considered "nice to have" rather than essential.

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14239
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

I guess by the time the ACT government gets around to it, it will cost $1 billion. Hard to imagine it will ever happen while Andrew Barr is Chief Minister.
sms316
Gary Coyne
Favourite Player: Austin 3:16

Post by sms316 »

What a stunning development
yurithe1
David Furner

Post by yurithe1 »

Barr is holding back that $1 billion to bank roll a bunch of promises at the next election. It's been put out there by the Canberra Times and I'm inclined to believe it.

Our best chances of getting a stadium are either the Libs winning the election EDIT.

Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

More political shenanigans. The game will change in 2024.

The real question is "why the **** aren't we getting a space port?" Seriously.

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Barr has now clarified... $1 billion was not meant to be a "literal figure", and the comparison to a space port and second airport was to make a point that not every piece of infrastructure is essential.

The point remains, the ACT government has failed to deliver a new stadium for the past 13 years, after the need was first raised by Andrew Barr. Endless options and feasibility studies. And no real indication of when they might actually act.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

Hang on... so Andrew Barr doesnt really have any interest in a new stadium
Well **** knock me down with a feather!
Raider47
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Matt Timoko

Post by Raider47 »

Reckon we're gonna have to bank on a private investor if we're ever gonna see a new Canberra Stadium.

Waiting... waiting... waiting...
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Raider47 wrote: August 4, 2022, 7:51 pm Reckon we're gonna have to bank on a private investor if we're ever gonna see a new Canberra Stadium.

Waiting... waiting... waiting...
Has that ever been sustainable in Australia?
Timbo
David Furner
Favourite Player: Hudson Young

Post by Timbo »

I have accepted a tart-up of Bruce is all we are going to ever manage.

The stadium remaining at Bruce also helps the cause of the light-rail, by arguing that its necessary to run to Belconnen via the stadium and arena. Given that's his pet project, I wouldn't be surprised if it has something to do with it.

As for light-rail being a non-feasible method of transit for a stadium, I was inclined to agree - until I went to a few games at the SCG after they ran the light-rail line past it. They developed the stop there with overflow capacity so for big matches you could increase its capacity temporarily. It works quite well from my experience.

If they can rebuild Bruce, improve access, and allow for a few bars/restaurants to open in the stadium precinct for pre- and post-game activities then I would find that to be an acceptable compromise for the whole situation.
Sometimes the light at the end of the tunnel is just the train that's about to hit you.
Roger Kenworthy
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki, J-Lo, Jordan Rapana

Post by Roger Kenworthy »

BJ
Steve Walters

A new Canberra Stadium?

Post by BJ »

Timbo wrote:I have accepted a tart-up of Bruce is all we are going to ever manage.

The stadium remaining at Bruce also helps the cause of the light-rail, by arguing that its necessary to run to Belconnen via the stadium and arena. Given that's his pet project, I wouldn't be surprised if it has something to do with it.

As for light-rail being a non-feasible method of transit for a stadium, I was inclined to agree - until I went to a few games at the SCG after they ran the light-rail line past it. They developed the stop there with overflow capacity so for big matches you could increase its capacity temporarily. It works quite well from my experience.

If they can rebuild Bruce, improve access, and allow for a few bars/restaurants to open in the stadium precinct for pre- and post-game activities then I would find that to be an acceptable compromise for the whole situation.
That’s interesting Timbo. It was my trip to the cricket at the SCG and the terribly slow wait for the Light Rail that had me go the other way. Then it led me to read further into the relatively low for a sporting event per hour passenger carrying capacity of our Light Rail and that tipped me the opposite way to you.
Love4Noa
Brett Mullins

Post by Love4Noa »

It will never happen.

The best hope is NSW fund a rebuild of Seiffert.

There is no interest and its seen as a folly.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Post by Billy Walker »

On the upside if we don’t have some real success on the field soon, we will likely be able to accommodate our supporter base back at Seiffert. I’m good with standing around Seiffert again like the old days.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

When have you ever stood around at Seiffert, Billy?
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Canberra Raiders coach Ricky Stuart gives up on hopes for new Canberra Stadium

Canberra Raiders coach Ricky Stuart says he has simply "given up" on the prospect of the capital getting a new or drastically-improved stadium.

"I've given up the hope or worrying about a stadium. Is it sad or honest? Probably both. What the fans have to put up with out there at Canberra Stadium is unfair," a deflated Stuart said.

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14329
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

greeneyed wrote: August 5, 2022, 2:11 pm When have you ever stood around at Seiffert, Billy?
Raiders used to play there mate back before Bruce
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

Billy Walker wrote:
greeneyed wrote: August 5, 2022, 2:11 pm When have you ever stood around at Seiffert, Billy?
I had fond memories of Seiffert, then I went back for a Knights trial match and realised just how bad it really was.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

BJ wrote: August 5, 2022, 5:52 pm
Billy Walker wrote:
I had fond memories of Seiffert, then I went back for a Knights trial match and realised just how bad it really was.
I recall a lot of dog crap on the hill. The little gold Tolkens you’d put in the turnstiles. Certainly close to the action. Not world class experience but I liked it.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Mickey_Raider
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Big Papa

Post by Mickey_Raider »

Surely the Libs run a 2024 ACT election campaign on a new stadium platform.
Up The Milk
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

Mickey_Raider wrote: August 6, 2022, 8:28 am Surely the Libs run a 2024 ACT election campaign on a new stadium platform.
Take the average crowds at Bruce over the year, subtract the away crowd element. Subtract those under the voting age, subtract a % of people who don’t care and you’re left with a fairly small number of people making noise. This is like the drag way where a small group will make a lot of noise but the reality is there are far greater priorities for a growing City and I can assure you it ain’t happening anytime soon.
BJ
Steve Walters

A new Canberra Stadium?

Post by BJ »

Mickey_Raider wrote:Surely the Libs run a 2024 ACT election campaign on a new stadium platform.
That new stadium election promise tactic has worked for Barr for the last three elections, so it’s a proven winner. Image
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

Best hope is Pocock somehow securing some federal funding