A new Canberra Stadium

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

Where would you like a new Canberra Stadium to be built?

Civic
82%
Bruce
12%
Mitchell
6%

Total votes: 67

gerg
Laurie Daley

Re: A new Canberra Stadium

Post by gerg »

Billy Walker wrote:
gerg wrote: February 18, 2024, 3:32 pm
Billy Walker wrote:
gerg wrote: February 17, 2024, 11:40 pm
Seiffert82 wrote:Yep and there's the other 7000 cars that need a park in Bruce for big games, which will also be the case in the city.

People can pretend that has no impact on a Friday or Saturday night all they like, but it's an actual issue.

Sent from my CPH2021 using Tapatalk
The city is far easier to get to with public transport than Bruce. You hang around too long after the game currently and take your chances that there is still a bus there and it's a bloody long walk, or a cab fare if not. A fair portion of people on the bus pile off at civic to go have a drink after a game. I'd say the number of people that currently drive to the game would reduce with a civic stadium because it's not in the middle of nowhere and there is entertainment there for before and after a game. As ACT taxpayers we've been sold this story of a tram to fix all our transport problems so surely moving 30,000 people into and out of our city shouldn't be a problem?

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk
Based on the few post above - I’d say the tram is not your friend to make your argument on this one Gergs.
I'm just trying to represent the tram / transport strategy that was sold to all of us.

https://www.transport.act.gov.au/act-tr ... cient-city

The very first few sentences....

Canberra’s public transport helps make our city less congested, more sustainable and more equitable. Attractive, convenient and connected public transport is critical to achieving a more compact, efficient and liveable city. 

Where is the bit that promises to cater for mass movements associated with events at a future City stadium? I don’t think anything you quoted is untrue.
In the text Billy. I'll throw some direct quotes below so you don't have to bother reading the thing.

It talks about a transport network that can currently meet and has the infrastructure to adapt and be flexible to meet the needs of a growing population. According to you and Seiffert it does neither of these things and never will. Sounds like our taxpayer dollars haven't been well spent if a transport system cannot cope with 30k people? How many trillion dollars will we have to spend on the transport system to get to a point where we can say that we're now ready to build a bigger stadium?

... As the city grows and intensifies, and demand on our network increases the new network will allow Canberrans to reach more destinations in less time via frequent reliable connections, 7-days a week. We will continue to build and reinforce the new network to ensure we get to where we want to be. ....

High frequency rapid routes lie at the core of the new network to service those corridors with highest demand and destination points....

This will provide certainty for businesses, employers and individuals to make long term decisions on where to live, work and invest..... (comment - excluding investment decisions from the same govt that created this plan)

Continued improvements to service frequency and speed on the core rapid network as well as the connecting local and feeder services will help cater for future population growth and urban intensification.

Light rail

Canberra’s future public transport system will have a high capacity light rail network at its core.

Along with quality infrastructure, the success of our feeder and local routes relies on seamless transfers, frequency and good connections to other transport types.

Shoving it in your face since 2017
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

Billy Walker wrote:
BJ wrote: February 18, 2024, 4:39 pm Billy the main caption from the ACT government website is “World class public transport for a compact, efficient city”.

If Canberra’s public transport network is “world class”, then Danny Levi is a world class player too. Image

Do any public transport experts around the world when speaking at conferences or lecture halls hold up Canberra’s public transport system as something other cities should aspire to?
This independent verifier says it will be a world class system once complete

https://www.latstudios.com.au/projects/ ... ht-rail-iv

On that basis, and given yours and others complaints about the current system, surely the ACT Government should focus investment towards it’s completion rather than throwing cash as something that will only benefit footy fans who don’t own a good beanie.

I’d also suggest a footballer that has played over 100 games across the two best leagues in the world, and has represented two countries internationally including at a World Cup would be the very definition of world class.
Bahaaaa haaa independent you say.

Keep digging up these ludicrous links and claims Billy.

Next you’ll be pulling that promotional piece from the Suburban Land Agency about the City to the Lake Project with a lovely new Civic rectangular stadium and the West Basin Olympic Swimming complex.
Bennyboy2283
Ken Nagas
Favourite Player: Ricky Stuart

Post by Bennyboy2283 »

Honestly I don’t know where to post this but the NRL dropped the ball not sending us to vagas , watching matty John’s show with all those Las Vegas fans chanting raiders, the merchandise would of gone off its head for a Canberra raiders jerseys and flags and gridiron jerseys with Canberra Raiders on it , like seriously ****
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

gerg wrote:
Billy Walker wrote:
Billy Walker wrote:
gerg wrote: February 17, 2024, 11:40 pm The city is far easier to get to with public transport than Bruce. You hang around too long after the game currently and take your chances that there is still a bus there and it's a bloody long walk, or a cab fare if not. A fair portion of people on the bus pile off at civic to go have a drink after a game. I'd say the number of people that currently drive to the game would reduce with a civic stadium because it's not in the middle of nowhere and there is entertainment there for before and after a game. As ACT taxpayers we've been sold this story of a tram to fix all our transport problems so surely moving 30,000 people into and out of our city shouldn't be a problem?

Based on the few post above - I’d say the tram is not your friend to make your argument on this one Gergs.
I'm just trying to represent the tram / transport strategy that was sold to all of us.

Canberra’s public transport helps make our city less congested, more sustainable and more equitable. Attractive, convenient and connected public transport is critical to achieving a more compact, efficient and liveable city. 

Where is the bit that promises to cater for mass movements associated with events at a future City stadium? I don’t think anything you quoted is untrue.
In the text Billy. I'll throw some direct quotes below so you don't have to bother reading the thing.

It talks about a transport network that can currently meet and has the infrastructure to adapt and be flexible to meet the needs of a growing population. According to you and Seiffert it does neither of these things and never will. Sounds like our taxpayer dollars haven't been well spent if a transport system cannot cope with 30k people? How many trillion dollars will we have to spend on the transport system to get to a point where we can say that we're now ready to build a bigger stadium?

... As the city grows and intensifies, and demand on our network increases the new network will allow Canberrans to reach more destinations in less time via frequent reliable connections, 7-days a week. We will continue to build and reinforce the new network to ensure we get to where we want to be. ....

High frequency rapid routes lie at the core of the new network to service those corridors with highest demand and destination points....

This will provide certainty for businesses, employers and individuals to make long term decisions on where to live, work and invest..... (comment - excluding investment decisions from the same govt that created this plan)

Continued improvements to service frequency and speed on the core rapid network as well as the connecting local and feeder services will help cater for future population growth and urban intensification.

Light rail

Canberra’s future public transport system will have a high capacity light rail network at its core.

Along with quality infrastructure, the success of our feeder and local routes relies on seamless transfers, frequency and good connections to other transport types.

I didn't say that at all. I said the LRS wasn't designed to move large crowds in short periods of time. It's a commuter backbone service that also gets buses off the roads in peak commuter periods to improve traffic efficiency. In what normal situation do we need to move 10-20,000 people to all parts of the city in a 30 minute period? The answer is never.

Comparing it to a train service designed to move large numbers of people in cities of 5+ million (like Melbourne and Sydney) is completely disingenuous.

gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Seiffert82 wrote:
gerg wrote:
Billy Walker wrote:
Billy Walker wrote: Based on the few post above - I’d say the tram is not your friend to make your argument on this one Gergs.

Light rail

I didn't say that at all. I said the LRS wasn't designed to move large crowds in short periods of time. It's a commuter backbone service that also gets buses off the roads in peak commuter periods to improve traffic efficiency. In what normal situation do we need to move 10-20,000 people to all parts of the city in a 30 minute period? The answer is never.

Comparing it to a train service designed to move large numbers of people in cities of 5+ million (like Melbourne and Sydney) is completely disingenuous.
The transport strategy that I linked is a holistic strategy, including tram, buses and infrastructure for cars. You've said that the city would be gridlocked for crowds of 30k and is part of your reasoning to not build a stadium in the city. The ACT Governments strategy tries to sell to the reader that the billions being spent on transport infrastructure will have no problem servicing a growing and mobile population around the city centre.

hrundi89
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Jarrod Croker

Post by hrundi89 »

Bennyboy2283 wrote: February 18, 2024, 7:51 pm Honestly I don’t know where to post this but the NRL dropped the ball not sending us to vagas , watching matty John’s show with all those Las Vegas fans chanting raiders, the merchandise would of gone off its head for a Canberra raiders jerseys and flags and gridiron jerseys with Canberra Raiders on it , like seriously ****
Canberra Raiders grid iron tee navy: https://www.raidersshop.com.au/2024-men ... 3210.phtml

Canberra Raiders grid iron tee navy: https://www.raidersshop.com.au/2024-men ... 3211.phtml
You may remember me from such forum usernames as hrundi99 and... hrundi99.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga

Post by Seiffert82 »

gerg wrote:
Seiffert82 wrote:
gerg wrote:
Billy Walker wrote:
gerg wrote: February 18, 2024, 3:32 pm I'm just trying to represent the tram / transport strategy that was sold to all of us.

Light rail

The transport strategy that I linked is a holistic strategy, including tram, buses and infrastructure for cars. You've said that the city would be gridlocked for crowds of 30k and is part of your reasoning to not build a stadium in the city. The ACT Governments strategy tries to sell to the reader that the billions being spent on transport infrastructure will have no problem servicing a growing and mobile population around the city centre.

Sounds like you're got a few issues to take up with the ACT government.

Also sounds like a good reason to spend hundreds of $millions realigning a road to fit a decent sized stadium in the city. Let me know how you go.

gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Seiffert82 wrote:
gerg wrote:
Seiffert82 wrote:
gerg wrote:
Billy Walker wrote: Where is the bit that promises to cater for mass movements associated with events at a future City stadium? I don’t think anything you quoted is untrue.

Light rail

Also sounds like a good reason to spend hundreds of $millions realigning a road to fit a decent sized stadium in the city. Let me know how you go.

Nah just correcting your misunderstandings and interpretation. Maybe instead of building over the top of Parkes Way they could consider other options. For example Commonwealth Park, or knocking down the existing Convention centre and building a multi purpose precinct that includes your beloved 10k entertainment venue for use once per year and a stadium. Instead we have a Chief Minister who is a 'my way or the highway' sort of guy because he doesn't give a **** about rectangle sports.

You keep throwing out these scenarios which are like Mr Barr's media releases when all of these Red Herrings are issues Mr Barr has created or has complete control over as the Chief Minister.

Billy Walker
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Post by Billy Walker »

gerg wrote: February 19, 2024, 9:38 pm
Seiffert82 wrote:
gerg wrote:
Seiffert82 wrote:
gerg wrote:In the text Billy. I'll throw some direct quotes below so you don't have to bother reading the thing.

Light rail

Nah just correcting your misunderstandings and interpretation. Maybe instead of building over the top of Parkes Way they could consider other options. For example Commonwealth Park, or knocking down the existing Convention centre and building a multi purpose precinct that includes your beloved 10k entertainment venue for use once per year and a stadium. Instead we have a Chief Minister who is a 'my way or the highway' sort of guy because he doesn't give a **** about rectangle sports.

You keep throwing out these scenarios which are like Mr Barr's media releases when all of these Red Herrings are issues Mr Barr has created or has complete control over as the Chief Minister.

ACT Govt doesn’t own Commonwealth Park Gergs - we’ve done this already…. Also google Canberra convention centre current usage. Or don’t- whatever.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Billy Walker wrote:
gerg wrote: February 19, 2024, 9:38 pm
Seiffert82 wrote:
gerg wrote:
Seiffert82 wrote:I didn't say that at all. I said the LRS wasn't designed to move large crowds in short periods of time. It's a commuter backbone service that also gets buses off the roads in peak commuter periods to improve traffic efficiency. In what normal situation do we need to move 10-20,000 people to all parts of the city in a 30 minute period? The answer is never.

ACT Govt doesn’t own Commonwealth Park Gergs - we’ve done this already…. Also google Canberra convention centre current usage. Or don’t- whatever.
Canberra is a Labor town and has been for a very long time. The PM is a rugby league fan. There's a key player in the Senate who is pushing for a city stadium. All the factors are there to do whatever it takes to make it happen. There is just one blocker and it's Seiffert. If only he'd come to his damn senses and do what is right for 7.5 % of the Canberra population.

Seiffert82
Mal Meninga

Post by Seiffert82 »

gerg wrote:
Seiffert82 wrote:
gerg wrote:
Seiffert82 wrote:
gerg wrote:In the text Billy. I'll throw some direct quotes below so you don't have to bother reading the thing.

Light rail

Gergreg, I have no misunderstanding of what a LRS is designed to do.

I also live within walking distance of the Civic pool site and firmly believe we need a new 30,000 stadium. I would have loved it to be in the city. I also certainly wouldn't mind seeing the back of Andrew Barr as our Chief Minister.

I also think the LRS was a good long-term investment, but that has absolutely nothing to do with a city based football stadium or who I voted for in the last election.

gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Seiffert82 wrote:
gerg wrote:
Seiffert82 wrote:
gerg wrote:
Seiffert82 wrote:I didn't say that at all. I said the LRS wasn't designed to move large crowds in short periods of time. It's a commuter backbone service that also gets buses off the roads in peak commuter periods to improve traffic efficiency. In what normal situation do we need to move 10-20,000 people to all parts of the city in a 30 minute period? The answer is never.

I also live within walking distance of the Civic pool site and firmly believe we need a new 30,000 stadium. I would have loved it to be in the city. I also certainly wouldn't mind seeing the back of Andrew Barr as our Chief Minister.

I also think the LRS was a good long-term investment, but that has absolutely nothing to do with a city based football stadium or who I voted for in the last election.
I accept your apology.

gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

-TW- wrote:
gerg wrote:I see Groovin the moo has just cancelled their festival tour because of a lack of sales. It's hard for regional cities to sustain interest in their music scene I guess. Promoters are putting their 'hard earned' on the line.

The line up was absolutely **** house and nobody bought tickets
Interesting article talking about issues with the live music scene, and yes touches on the strength (or lack thereof) with the Moo line-up.

Groovin the Moo cancellation signals 'feast or famine' Australian festival crisis: https://www.abc.net.au/news/2024-02-21/ ... /103483890

Seiffert82
Mal Meninga

Post by Seiffert82 »

gerg wrote:
Seiffert82 wrote:
gerg wrote:
Seiffert82 wrote:
gerg wrote:The transport strategy that I linked is a holistic strategy, including tram, buses and infrastructure for cars. You've said that the city would be gridlocked for crowds of 30k and is part of your reasoning to not build a stadium in the city. The ACT Governments strategy tries to sell to the reader that the billions being spent on transport infrastructure will have no problem servicing a growing and mobile population around the city centre.

I accept your apology.

See you at the stadium.

Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

Seiffert82 wrote: February 23, 2024, 6:58 am
gerg wrote:
Seiffert82 wrote:
gerg wrote:
Seiffert82 wrote:

I accept your apology.

See you at the stadium.

:roflmao
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Seiffert82 wrote:
gerg wrote:
Seiffert82 wrote:
gerg wrote:
Seiffert82 wrote: Sounds like you're got a few issues to take up with the ACT government.

I accept your apology.

See you at the stadium.

Sure, I'd love to have a beer and a laugh with you. I'll be back for the Souths game in July.

Seiffert82
Mal Meninga

Post by Seiffert82 »

gerg wrote:
Seiffert82 wrote:
gerg wrote:
Seiffert82 wrote:
gerg wrote:Nah just correcting your misunderstandings and interpretation. Maybe instead of building over the top of Parkes Way they could consider other options. For example Commonwealth Park, or knocking down the existing Convention centre and building a multi purpose precinct that includes your beloved 10k entertainment venue for use once per year and a stadium. Instead we have a Chief Minister who is a 'my way or the highway' sort of guy because he doesn't give a **** about rectangle sports.

I accept your apology.

See you at the stadium.

Sure, I'd love to have a beer and a laugh with you. I'll be back for the Souths game in July.

Lock it in!

Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

Of all the Canberra Times articles about a future stadium this one is probably the worst. A sports historian put in a submission of ideas on what a future stadium may or may not look like and where it may or may not go. Save yourself the time and scroll past….

'We can only afford one stadium': Proposal for multi-sport Canberra Stadium: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14329
Riaan
John Ferguson

Post by Riaan »

Some could say the same about your posts Billy.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

Riaan wrote: March 3, 2024, 8:28 am Some could say the same about your posts Billy.
Listen crazy take - you were the one that made an outlandishly foolish statement about David Fifita’s value. I just called you out on it. I understand your lasting embarrassment but you brought it on yourself brother. You just need to shake it off, get back on the horse and put out a few perhaps move conservative, shall we say sensible posts. Time is a great healer, and although I can’t promise that the name Riaan won’t forever be associated with one of the craziest takes of all time, the laugher will possibly die down one day. :roflmao
BJ
Steve Walters

A new Canberra Stadium

Post by BJ »

I’m with Billy on the this new stadium idea “is probably the worst”.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

BJ wrote: March 3, 2024, 8:51 am I’m with Billy on the this new stadium idea “is probably the worst”.
I’m not sure I could actually decipher what that idea was. At one stage it was a multi-use stadium covering all sports, it talked about Manuka, Bruce and EPIC. It just read like a collection of thoughts. I thought it was a pretty poor article that didn’t move the debate in any direction.
BJ
Steve Walters

A new Canberra Stadium

Post by BJ »

I have been reading through some of Greg Blood’s other articles and papers.

1. He seems to have many AFL centric thoughts and opinions, but has an Olympic sports and Soccer focus too.

2. He bases his claim that rectangular sports fans will attend multi function stadiums because “fans still attend major Rugby and Football events at Docklands”.

I’d need 10,000 words to point out the flaws in his arguments.
Riaan
John Ferguson

Post by Riaan »

:lol: :lol:

Just come on to have a quick jab at old mate Billy, and judging by the long winded response (didn’t even bother reading as I took his advice and just scrolled past) it’s landed pretty flush.

Enjoy your weekend Billy boy😘
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

Riaan wrote: March 3, 2024, 9:25 am :lol: :lol:

Just come on to have a quick jab at old mate Billy, and judging by the long winded response (didn’t even bother reading as I took his advice and just scrolled past) it’s landed pretty flush.

Enjoy your weekend Billy boy😘
Types out 41 words to say he didn’t have time to read my 90 words :roflmao :roflmao :roflmao :roflmao :roflmao
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Anyone pushing a “multipurpose stadium” is only interested in getting themselves a stadium for AFL. These stadiums are completely unsuitable for sports played on rectangular fields. Stadiums need to be built to the needs of the predominant sport and tenants (rugby league, union and perhaps soccer in Canberra). Movable concourse seats still leave the grandstands a long way from the action for rugby codes and soccer. Precisely the problem at Bruce. The AFL already have a stadium at Manuka commensurate with the interest in AFL in Canberra and the commitment from AFL to Canberra (the latter effectively zero, apart from the desire to rip off money from ACT taxpayers and to find a place for a Sydney AFL team to play during the Easter show).
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

Without going through the pain of re-reading that article, I recall it said something about Canberra only being able to support 1 stadium. That stadium should be multi-purpose but then acknowledged Manuka without any suggestion it would be repurposed. It was very confused.
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

Billy Walker wrote:Without going through the pain of re-reading that article, I recall it said something about Canberra only being able to support 1 stadium. That stadium should be multi-purpose but then acknowledged Manuka without any suggestion it would be repurposed. It was very confused.
For the sake of sports in the ACT, I reckon the sports historian who wrote the article should be resigned to history. Karma.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga

Post by Seiffert82 »

What a terrible idea. Honestly, the only reason for that proposal is if you're an AFL fan who wants a 40,000 seat stadium in Canberra. Ridiculous.

Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

Seiffert82 wrote:What a terrible idea. Honestly, the only reason for that proposal is if you're an AFL fan who wants a 40,000 seat stadium in Canberra. Ridiculous.

Or you're an AFL fan and want to spoil the development of a rectangular stadium. Like the AFL did with Stadium Australia when it was being reconfigured post Olympics. It was supposed to be converted to a rectangular stadium, but the AFL protested stating that they had plans to base a team there. GWS played a final there in 2022,but before that the last game of AFL played there was in 2015.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga

Post by Seiffert82 »

Dr Zaius wrote:
Seiffert82 wrote:What a terrible idea. Honestly, the only reason for that proposal is if you're an AFL fan who wants a 40,000 seat stadium in Canberra. Ridiculous.

Or you're an AFL fan and want to spoil the development of a rectangular stadium. Like the AFL did with Stadium Australia when it was being reconfigured post Olympics. It was supposed to be converted to a rectangular stadium, but the AFL protested stating that they had plans to base a team there. GWS played a final there in 2022,but before that the last game of AFL played there was in 2015.
Yeah, the arrogance of the AFL and their fans really is astounding.

Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

Seiffert82 wrote: March 3, 2024, 6:48 pm
Dr Zaius wrote:

Yeah, the arrogance of the AFL and their fans really is astounding.

Yeah anyone would think they were the greatest game of all. :hmmm
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Multipurpose fields converted to rectangular fields are **** awful to watch NRL at

Accor stadium is terrible, the SCG is crap especially at ground level.

Whining that manuka isn't up to standard when they hold 6 events max a year doesn't justify the need to piss off the major tenants of the ground that actually gets used.
Sid
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Shannon Boyd

Post by Sid »

The only reason I stopped watching the annual nrl match in Darwin is because it's played on an oval ground, which makes for terrible viewing being so far away from the game

Sent from my SM-S911B using Tapatalk

Would have won Boogs - 2016, 2017, 2018

1 part green, 1 part machine
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

Why is it that many AFL supporting Canberrans want a multipurpose new stadium for all codes, but every cricket supporting League fan I know recognise that that style of stadium wouldn’t be a great solution or create a good viewing experience?