A new Canberra Stadium

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

Where would you like a new Canberra Stadium to be built?

Civic
82%
Bruce
12%
Mitchell
6%

Total votes: 67

LimeGreenMachine
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Ethan Strange

Re: A new Canberra Stadium

Post by LimeGreenMachine »

Leichhardt has today been announced it will stop top level sport playing there by the end of next year.
In the same article it said GIO was announced last year by the NRL that it wasn't fit for the NRL
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Post by Billy Walker »

Stephen Larkham reckons the new stadium should have a roof. Makes sense but would want to be a high roof the way Fogs is hitting his bombs at the moment.

Fresh push for key feature to be included in new Canberra Stadium plan

Stephen Larkham has declared a new Canberra Stadium should have a roof, with Dunedin's Stadium to provide the template. The stadium is fully enclosed with a clear roof and can be used for sporting events, concerts, trade shows and conferences. The ground has a maximum capacity of 30,000 but has movable stands that provide flexibility with seating.

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14329
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

Rugby Union desperate for anything that brings 500 extra patrons to the stadium, to double their crowd.

Sent from my CPH2021 using Tapatalk

Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

Seiffert82 wrote: March 18, 2024, 6:07 am Rugby Union desperate for anything that brings 500 extra patrons to the stadium, to double their crowd.

It’s a shame really, because if Canberra hassle a rugby or soccer team that was regularly drawing big crowds it would really strengthen the business case for a new rectangular stadium.
Love4Noa
Brett Mullins

Post by Love4Noa »

Billy Walker wrote: March 18, 2024, 6:11 am
Seiffert82 wrote: March 18, 2024, 6:07 am Rugby Union desperate for anything that brings 500 extra patrons to the stadium, to double their crowd.

It’s a shame really, because if Canberra hassle a rugby or soccer team that was regularly drawing big crowds it would really strengthen the business case for a new rectangular stadium.
It's a massive shame. I support anything Canberra based.

The Braves Ice Hockey Team is playing in a sub standard public facility that should have been activated to something worthwhile years ago.

The Cavalry are stuck out the back of Narrabundah.

The Raiders and Brumbies play at a stadium that's so old you can probably consider it a marker for when they built Canberra - ode to City Hill, Mt Coree, and GIO.

The Brumbies are a product of the embarrassment of rugby union and the death of their relationship with Fox. They'll never get back to glory days. If rugby league continues on this path - they'll take NZ in the next 10 to 20 years.

I wish the Brumbies were great - the years of Larkham, Gregan, Roff, Finnigan, The Super Sub, Stirling Mortlock, etc - they were proud years and it's stupid that some rugby league fans in Canberra can't appreciate how good that was.

Right now, there's a chance the Brumbies die along with Super Rugby or whatever the incarnation is.

BUT

Canberra needs a new stadium. Regardless. It simply isn't good enough. I'm a season ticket holder and frankly I don't go near as much as I should because there's just no point. Yes, you're at the game to support but it's a cluster to get in - it takes way too long to get out. The walks to the ground are inaccessible if you've got any sort of disability, there's now a stench issue, it's colder than an eskimo even when it's warm, and you're closer to the action if you sit on Black Mountain.

I don't know how they'll do it. No one genuinely thinks it's every any chance - but again - I'm starting to get on board with Queanbeyan approaching the NSW Govt for funding and moving the team back over the border. There simply isn't the appetite to recognise the return on mental well-being by having community and local based activities particularly in a sporting environment to improve the culture of a city.

This is the best city in the country to live. We know that. We just need a stadium that isn't a decaying gift from the AIS.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

Well said Love4Noa! :thumbsup
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Stadium stink: 'Stench' ignites blame game as source of smell revealed

The fallout from the foul "stench" in the bowels of Canberra Stadium reached a crescendo on Monday when Sport Minister Yvette Berry blamed the Canberra Raiders for the source of the smell. Berry said that the Raiders were "using a space that wasn't appropriate to store equipment" during their home clash against the Wests Tigers. Venue management later stated an inspection by plumbers discovered a sewer pit and a failed pump was the cause. The Raiders were shocked and furious about Berry's incorrect description.

Lamenting Actions
Glenn Lazarus
Favourite Player: Grace Kemp

Post by Lamenting Actions »

"It's not my fault. It's yours." Ah that old bargain bin political technique. A politician deflecting. Colour me shocked.
-PJ- wrote: April 14, 2024, 9:07 pm I thought it went really good, now let’s go get some soft serve.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Remember when they used to turn off the hot water in the 'away' dressing room. We just need to get the sewerage airflow pumping into the 'away' dressing room for retro round.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Shoving it in your face since 2017
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

Jesus... Berry really dropped a duece in her pants on that one. Mercifully for her no one could smell it as the sewer pit and failed pump in her decrepit stadium

Raiders should, if for nothing else but a hearty laugh, request a formal apology and concession of the real issue from the Berry
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Win News might also get a please explain for suggesting Ricky Stuart wants the act government to prioritise a new stadium over health and education

https://www.facebook.com/share/v/vWWZTw ... tid=oFDknk

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

-TW- wrote: March 18, 2024, 7:55 pm Win News might also get a please explain for suggesting Ricky Stuart wants the act government to prioritise a new stadium over health and education

Ill give the bloke **** when warrented but he went to pain staking lengths to explain he is all about health and education.
Unreal **** from Win.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

-TW- wrote: March 18, 2024, 7:55 pm Win News might also get a please explain for suggesting Ricky Stuart wants the act government to prioritise a new stadium over health and education

That’s poor reporting, given Ricky Stuart said he was all for education and health. I mean, surely they watched the Stuart press conference? They show excerpts from it!
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

Isn’t WIN News not even made in Canberra but from Wollongong?

That’s embarrassing journalism. What a joke of a so called news channel.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

BJ wrote: March 18, 2024, 9:21 pm Isn’t WIN News not even made in Canberra but from Wollongong?

That’s embarrassing journalism. What a joke of a so called news channel.
There are Canberra journalists on the ground in Canberra, but it’s read from Wollongong.

The Sports Minister also dismissing the idea of a roof in poor fashion too. Like the fans should expect to be cold and wet. And isn’t it wonderful for the memories!
Timbo
David Furner
Favourite Player: Hudson Young

Post by Timbo »

I was hoping all of this was just softening the ground so that when a basic stadium design (like Robina) was thrown out at EPIC or Bruce we’d just be so relieved we’d accept it without kicking up a fuss, but the fact is it’s pretty clear now we’re not even going to get that.

Wouldn’t be surprised if some paltry amount was authorised for urgent repairs on GIO and that’s all we get.
Sometimes the light at the end of the tunnel is just the train that's about to hit you.
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

Timbo wrote:I was hoping all of this was just softening the ground so that when a basic stadium design (like Robina) was thrown out at EPIC or Bruce we’d just be so relieved we’d accept it without kicking up a fuss, but the fact is it’s pretty clear now we’re not even going to get that.

Wouldn’t be surprised if some paltry amount was authorised for urgent repairs on GIO and that’s all we get.
At this point it would seem that the only way a new stadium will be built is that there is a new Chief Minister, either by him retiring or a change of government.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Dr Zaius wrote: March 19, 2024, 10:00 am
Timbo wrote:I was hoping all of this was just softening the ground so that when a basic stadium design (like Robina) was thrown out at EPIC or Bruce we’d just be so relieved we’d accept it without kicking up a fuss, but the fact is it’s pretty clear now we’re not even going to get that.

At this point it would seem that the only way a new stadium will be built is that there is a new Chief Minister, either by him retiring or a change of government.
Yep, that where i've been since day dot.
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

I just noticed Shane Rattenbury advertises on the ACT Parliament member page that he was an inaugural member of the GWS Giants for Canberra.

He probably said he’ll support Andrew Barr to hold onto power if he builds him a tram and also gives $53 million to GWS.
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

greeneyed wrote: March 18, 2024, 3:50 pm Stadium stink: 'Stench' ignites blame game as source of smell revealed

The fallout from the foul "stench" in the bowels of Canberra Stadium reached a crescendo on Monday when Sport Minister Yvette Berry blamed the Canberra Raiders for the source of the smell. Berry said that the Raiders were "using a space that wasn't appropriate to store equipment" during their home clash against the Wests Tigers. Venue management later stated an inspection by plumbers discovered a sewer pit and a failed pump was the cause. The Raiders were shocked and furious about Berry's incorrect description.

So where did the politician get her information from?? I hope she has the intestinal fortitude to publicly admit she was wrong after making a public statement bagging the biggest and best sporting Club in Canberra. If she doesn't she's not Berry good.
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

Berry was backtracking on her Raiders at fault claims when she appeared on ABC radio yesterday afternoon and she’d surreptitiously shifted her blame from the Raiders to an unnamed stadium staffer.

Her interview with Ross Solly by the way, was 15 minutes of saying the delays in building the stadium were unacceptable and we all deserve a new stadium, but everyone one else was to blame instead of her government and then she had some really bizarre claims that we can’t have a hundred thousand seat stadium and that the Bruce precinct was just like Parramatta. And this lady is our deputy chief minister.
Raiders_Pat
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by Raiders_Pat »

BJ wrote: March 19, 2024, 12:58 pm Berry was backtracking on her Raiders at fault claims when she appeared on ABC radio yesterday afternoon and she’d surreptitiously shifted her blame from the Raiders to an unnamed stadium staffer.

Her interview with Ross Solly by the way, was 15 minutes of saying the delays in building the stadium were unacceptable and we all deserve a new stadium, but everyone one else was to blame instead of her government and then she had some really bizarre claims that we can’t have a hundred thousand seat stadium and that the Bruce precinct was just like Parramatta. And this lady is our deputy chief minister.
Expect more of this level of bamboozling from their party over the next 6 months... and people who want the new stadium will fall for it again as they do every election year.
Bay53
Steve Walters

Post by Bay53 »

So they are not going to fix the sewerage leak, just tell people to keep the door closed.

That will work.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

Love4Noa wrote:
Billy Walker wrote: March 18, 2024, 6:11 am

It's a massive shame. I support anything Canberra based.

The Braves Ice Hockey Team is playing in a sub standard public facility that should have been activated to something worthwhile years ago.

The Cavalry are stuck out the back of Narrabundah.

The Raiders and Brumbies play at a stadium that's so old you can probably consider it a marker for when they built Canberra - ode to City Hill, Mt Coree, and GIO.

The Brumbies are a product of the embarrassment of rugby union and the death of their relationship with Fox. They'll never get back to glory days. If rugby league continues on this path - they'll take NZ in the next 10 to 20 years.

I wish the Brumbies were great - the years of Larkham, Gregan, Roff, Finnigan, The Super Sub, Stirling Mortlock, etc - they were proud years and it's stupid that some rugby league fans in Canberra can't appreciate how good that was.

Right now, there's a chance the Brumbies die along with Super Rugby or whatever the incarnation is.

BUT

Canberra needs a new stadium. Regardless. It simply isn't good enough. I'm a season ticket holder and frankly I don't go near as much as I should because there's just no point. Yes, you're at the game to support but it's a cluster to get in - it takes way too long to get out. The walks to the ground are inaccessible if you've got any sort of disability, there's now a stench issue, it's colder than an eskimo even when it's warm, and you're closer to the action if you sit on Black Mountain.

I don't know how they'll do it. No one genuinely thinks it's every any chance - but again - I'm starting to get on board with Queanbeyan approaching the NSW Govt for funding and moving the team back over the border. There simply isn't the appetite to recognise the return on mental well-being by having community and local based activities particularly in a sporting environment to improve the culture of a city.

This is the best city in the country to live. We know that. We just need a stadium that isn't a decaying gift from the AIS.
I've been to a number of union games and actually enjoyed a couple of them (not all). Many friends of mine a union fans. Most of them don't go to the games because the product stinks.

I gave up being nice about Rugby Union in the period that most of their arrogant fans and supporters went out of their way to trash the reputation Rugby League.

I'm always nice when talking to other people about their sports, but I'm sick to death of AFL and Union fans going out of their way to rubbish Rugby League. It's an actual thing.

So on that basis, if the Rugby Union fans are so disengaged that they think the air temperature of an outdoor stadium is the reason their fanbase is so low, they are absolutely kidding themselves. Thier crowd numbers suck all over the country. They are the literal and figurative definition of fairweather fans. Hopeless.

Irrespective of that, we definitely need a new stadium and a new ice rink. I've been to a few Brave games with friends and it's a good time.

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Rattenbury's flawed stadium logic exposes short-sighted government approach

The ACT government announced in June it plans to spend more than $500 million to build a new 30,000-seat stadium at Bruce by 2033. However, according to Greens leader Shane Rattenbury, that plan again needs to be re-considered.

"We've got a stadium. It's not in the best of shape, but we've actually got one and there's other things we desperately need. So I think it's an interesting question of where it sits," Rattenbury said. "The conversation the community needs to have is there's a lot of infrastructure that this city needs."

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14274
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

Mr Rattenbury would have a completely different view for the $500 million if the money could go to GWS, bike paths or his inner north electorate.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

BJ wrote: March 20, 2024, 7:16 am Mr Rattenbury would have a completely different view for the $500 million if the money could go to GWS, bike paths or his inner north electorate.
The money can go to those or other things. That is exactly what he is saying. It goes to reason that a forum of football supporters would want a stadium for their football team. But the interests and needs of the ACT taxpayers is broader than sporting teams.
Timbo
David Furner
Favourite Player: Hudson Young

Post by Timbo »

greeneyed wrote: March 20, 2024, 6:46 am Rattenbury's flawed stadium logic exposes short-sighted government approach

The ACT government announced in June it plans to spend more than $500 million to build a new 30,000-seat stadium at Bruce by 2033. However, according to Greens leader Shane Rattenbury, that plan again needs to be re-considered.

"We've got a stadium. It's not in the best of shape, but we've actually got one and there's other things we desperately need. So I think it's an interesting question of where it sits," Rattenbury said. "The conversation the community needs to have is there's a lot of infrastructure that this city needs."

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14274
'I've got a car, it's a 1973 Datsun 120Y with no engine, but I've actually got one'.

Christ on a bike.
Sometimes the light at the end of the tunnel is just the train that's about to hit you.
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

Billy Walker wrote:
BJ wrote: March 20, 2024, 7:16 am Mr Rattenbury would have a completely different view for the $500 million if the money could go to GWS, bike paths or his inner north electorate.
The money can go to those or other things. That is exactly what he is saying. It goes to reason that a forum of football supporters would want a stadium for their football team. But the interests and needs of the ACT taxpayers is broader than sporting teams.
Thanks scoop.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Canberra's pie price hike: Why cost of stadium footy food is hitting fans hard

Remember when ACT Sport Minister Yvette Berry trumpeted cut-price deals on footy favourites at Canberra Stadium and said it was a win for the fans? The changes have only lasted one season with costs of food and drinks at Canberra Raiders games rising from last year's mark.

Prices for meat pies, sausage rolls, hot chips, hot dogs and soft drinks have all risen to $5 this year, while you'll fork out an alarming $5.90 for water. Beers range from $9.80 to $13.40.

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14280
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

I noticed they’ve given up on The Hub that the Sports Minister spruiked as the way to get fans to come to games.

Here’s a tip for the Minister. If you want to support Canberra sports fans. STOP promising a new stadium for well over a decade, stop doing false feasibility studies, prioritise your infrastructure outside of Light Rail and build us the stadium you repeatedly promised.
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

What a pity the guess-timate for a new Canberra Stadium is 2033. The Olympics are to be held in Brisbane in 2032. The Sydney Olympics used GIO stadium as a football (soccer) venue. There is an opportunity to bring a positive world viewing audience to Canberra if it can be completed by 2032. A new stadium could be a showcase but the current ACT Government views it as a basket case. They used to be really indecisive, but now they are not so sure.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Is this the answer to Canberra's stadium woes? Raiders get special tour of $628m venue

Raiders chief executive Don Furner, chairman Dennis Richardson and board members visited to the Te Kaha stadium site in Christchurch on Friday just hours before the Green Machine's clash against the New Zealand Warriors.

"The presentation by the Christchurch City Council was really, really encouraging and enlightening," Furner said. "They've gone through a lot of similar stuff that we have given they're a similar-sized city and they have similar weather patterns. There are so many similarities. To see the scale of their project, how they funded it and how it's going to lift the centre of the city is amazing. It does show what we can do in Canberra."

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14239
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

What are the ideas for the ACT in terms of budget. Is 628m something they could scrounge together?
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

zim wrote: March 22, 2024, 7:56 pm What are the ideas for the ACT in terms of budget. Is 628m something they could scrounge together?
They are saying "around $500 million". They will be building a very basic stadium for that. Spartan.