A new Canberra Stadium

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

Where would you like a new Canberra Stadium to be built?

Civic
82%
Bruce
12%
Mitchell
6%

Total votes: 67

Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Re: A new Canberra Stadium

Post by Seiffert82 »

BJ wrote:Why is it that many AFL supporting Canberrans want a multipurpose new stadium for all codes, but every cricket supporting League fan I know recognise that that style of stadium wouldn’t be a great solution or create a good viewing experience?
Yeah, it's a huge surprise.

Maybe the AFL should instead consider playing on a rectangle ground of, oh I don't know, 80 metres wide and 140 metres long.

Sent from my CPH2021 using Tapatalk

Ruben Daley
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Kenny Nagas

Post by Ruben Daley »

One oval stadium for AFL and cricket.

One purpose-built rectangular stadium for league, rugby and football (and events).

It's not hard. We already have the first one. Let's just do the second one really well and expand the first if/when anyone wants to base an AFL team here (AKA never).
Timbo
David Furner
Favourite Player: Hudson Young

Post by Timbo »

Sid wrote: March 4, 2024, 12:06 pm The only reason I stopped watching the annual nrl match in Darwin is because it's played on an oval ground, which makes for terrible viewing being so far away from the game

Sent from my SM-S911B using Tapatalk
What’s weird is that they could get 10k into Darwin Rugby League Park, which is basically a clone of the ground in Mackay that was used during COVID.

Given 10k is about what they’ve been drawing, I’m confused why they don’t play at the rectangle ground.
Sometimes the light at the end of the tunnel is just the train that's about to hit you.
Rick
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: Daley

Post by Rick »

Timbo wrote:
Sid wrote: March 4, 2024, 12:06 pm The only reason I stopped watching the annual nrl match in Darwin is because it's played on an oval ground, which makes for terrible viewing being so far away from the game

Sent from my SM-S911B using Tapatalk
What’s weird is that they could get 10k into Darwin Rugby League Park, which is basically a clone of the ground in Mackay that was used during COVID.

Given 10k is about what they’ve been drawing, I’m confused why they don’t play at the rectangle ground.
That would be better if they did that. It’s a much better ground to watch RL at. Don’t know how they would go with just the one entrance/ exit for 10k people though. Would like to see them give it a go though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

'We need it to survive': Las Vegas inspires Canberra Raiders' call for new Canberra Stadium

Canberra Raiders boss Don Furner says a new stadium is crucial for the survival of ACT's sporting teams. He made the comments off the back of a visit to Las Vegas Stadium for the NRL's opening round there last weekend.

"Their facilities are amazing. We need to have facilities. It brings people in," he said. "That's why we keep banging on about a new stadium. We need it to survive and we need it to thrive. It will sustain sport and us, and other codes, soccer, rugby union, for another 25 years."

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14239
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Post by Billy Walker »

Are we saying we expect the club to fold if someone doesn’t build us a stadium?
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Billy Walker wrote: March 9, 2024, 8:10 pm Are we saying we expect the club to fold if someone doesn’t build us a stadium?
It’s usual practice in Australia for Federal and state governments to build major sports stadiums in their jurisdictions. Queensland and NSW have lots of high quality stadiums now. No clubs in either State need to play in old stadiums right now. Victoria built one for the Storm.

If you’re a Raiders fan, why wouldn’t you want a new Canberra Stadium for the club and the Raiders fans? We are increasingly at a competitive disadvantage with other clubs, as we have a State/Territory government unwilling to get this done. Surely you want us to have a competitive advantage? Good governments find ways to get things done that are needed.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

greeneyed wrote: March 9, 2024, 8:37 pm
Billy Walker wrote: March 9, 2024, 8:10 pm Are we saying we expect the club to fold if someone doesn’t build us a stadium?
It’s usual practice in Australia for Federal and state governments to build major sports stadiums in their jurisdictions. Queensland and NSW have lots of high quality stadiums now. No clubs in either State need to play in old stadiums right now. Victoria built one for the Storm.

If you’re a Raiders fan, why wouldn’t you want a new Canberra Stadium for the club and the Raiders fans? We are increasingly at a competitive disadvantage with other clubs, as we have a State/Territory government unwilling to get this done. Surely you want us to have a competitive advantage? Good governments find ways to get things done that are needed.
Yeah shiny new stadium sounds great, but are we really at risk of extinction if we don’t get one? Seems like a dramatic headline.
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

Billy Walker wrote:Are we saying we expect the club to fold if someone doesn’t build us a stadium?
When we have a local government who happily blow $80 million on a failed IT project and $800 million on 1.7km of light rail track to nowhere, I just don’t know what to expect from anymore.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Billy Walker wrote:Are we saying we expect the club to fold if someone doesn’t build us a stadium?
If the stadium isn't fit for purpose then the NRL can revoke the licence, yes

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

Bay53
Steve Walters

Post by Bay53 »

I think it will make it harder to be successful, whether we will fold is another question. We already have some considerable disadvantages being a small market, with less hospitable weather. If we end up with the worst regularly used ground in the competition on top of that, it is hard to see us consistently challenging.
Bay53
Steve Walters

Post by Bay53 »

-TW- wrote: March 9, 2024, 9:25 pm
If the stadium isn't fit for purpose then the NRL can revoke the licence, yes

I think there is a lot of space between being a poor ground and not fit for purpose. It is not as if nothing has been done in recent years, but it doesn’t fix the overarching issue that there are far better stadia across the NRL.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

greeneyed wrote:

Come on Ferg, you know the answer to that first sentence in your second paragraph
woppadingo
Brett Mullins

Post by woppadingo »

Well I was at CBUS Robina last night for the Titans/dragons game, and I have to say it puts into stark contrast just how bad GIO stadium in Canberra is.
It really makes you understand just how much of a **** the local govt doesn't give.
woppadingo
Brett Mullins

Post by woppadingo »

For context, Robina stadium is a fairly simple rectangle with fairly standard stands and coverage over the seating. I was in the top tier half way to the back and the view was excellent. I felt close to the play, with a commanding views over the field. It was stormy weather and no one felt any wind or rain at all.

By contrast, Canberra feels like a country park football stadium, where if you are up high you are miles away and if you are close you cannot see across the park. Its really just terrible in comparison.

I cant imagine a stadium like Robina is anything special, and would not be a relatively expensive stadium to build, But its 100 times better tjan what we currently have.
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

Canberra stadium is showing its 47 year old age.

You’re a long way from the action, its old cement build makes it freezing in winter, even some of the below average Sydney grounds are much better for watching the game.

Mr Barr has spent over a decade talking up a new stadium, but has spent no time actually trying to build it.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

'Long overdue': Liberals blast Barr, fire shot in new Canberra Stadium stoush

ACT Opposition Leader Elizabeth Lee says Canberrans have a right to feel frustrated by the repeated delays in delivering a new Canberra Stadium and that the city remains the Liberal Party's preferred location. A city stadium remains the preference of both the Canberra Raiders and the Brumbies, however Chief Minister Andrew Barr has repeatedly declared it is off the table.

"As we've always said, we do see merit in the stadium being in a city location and that is still our preference," Ms Lee said. "It's still on the table and we'll have a lot more to say in the lead up to the election on it."

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14329
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

The general vibe I get from the people I speak to is its time for a change.

A well run campaign focusing on health, transport, education and a new stadium and I think the undecided may swing liberals way

woppadingo
Brett Mullins

Post by woppadingo »

Pollies talking of a new stadium, is there an election looming?
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

-TW- wrote: March 13, 2024, 4:59 pm The general vibe I get from the people I speak to is its time for a change.

A well run campaign focusing on health, transport, education and a new stadium and I think the undecided may swing liberals way

Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

Some loose sewerage at the stadium today?
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

Thought the crowd was a little flat today.
reptar
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Jordan Rapana

Post by reptar »

Azza wrote:Some loose sewerage at the stadium today?
Inner bowl?
Gina Riley: Oh, come on, John. That’s a bit old hat, the corrupt IOC delegate.
John Clarke: Old hat? Gina, in the scientific world when they see that something is happening again and again and again, repeatedly, they don’t call it old hat. They call it a pattern.
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

reptar wrote:
Azza wrote:Some loose sewerage at the stadium today?
Inner bowl?
Gold
Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

Seriously though what happened there were some comments in the presser aye
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

Azza wrote: March 16, 2024, 6:31 pm Seriously though what happened there were some comments in the presser aye
I am wondering that too! It must have smelt absolutely awful for it to be brought up in the presser!
Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

Just adds further evidence the existing stadium is cooked, not that Barr the muppet cares
reptar
Laurie Daley

Post by reptar »

Azza wrote:Just adds further evidence the existing stadium is cooked, not that Barr the muppet cares
Cooked sewerage might kill off some of the nasty bugs.
John Clarke: Old hat? Gina, in the scientific world when they see that something is happening again and again and again, repeatedly, they don’t call it old hat. They call it a pattern.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

Probably just the tigers stinking up the joint
Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

reptar wrote: March 16, 2024, 6:44 pm
Azza wrote:Just adds further evidence the existing stadium is cooked, not that Barr the muppet cares
You’re an idiot.

I hope this helps.
reptar
Laurie Daley

Post by reptar »

Azza wrote:
reptar wrote: March 16, 2024, 6:44 pm
You’re an idiot.

I hope this helps.
It does!
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Ricky Stuart rips into rotten eggs 'stench' in call for a new Canberra Stadium

You know it's not good when a pungent rotten eggs odour dominates the essence of Deep Heat outside footy players' change rooms. After Saturday's game, players, coaches, families and friends of the teams - as well as the media - had to hold their noses as a foul smell flooded the tunnel underneath the Mal Meninga Stand.

"I feel sorry for those people there with the stench. I know people laugh at it. But we are the capital of Australia. It's absolutely crap that they don't build a stadium to look after Canberra's people.

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14329
Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

Wonder if any of the players yelled out “last one out’s a …”
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

Barr has been talking about a new stadium for well over a decade. So much talk about city infrastructure so little delivered.

He’s building an $800 million dollar 1.7km extension of Light Rail to Commonwealth Park. That is not a wise investment decision. That money could build a very good stadium.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

It really is getting quite ridiculous, and it will bite the ACT Government in the ass.

I look forward to another 5 years of debate on the matter if the Liberals get the nod.

Sent from my CPH2021 using Tapatalk