A new Canberra Stadium

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

Where would you like a new Canberra Stadium to be built?

Civic
82%
Bruce
12%
Mitchell
6%

Total votes: 67

Raider47
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Matt Timoko

A new Canberra Stadium

Post by Raider47 »

Impressions of the 2018/2022 FIFA World Cup bid. Canberra involved. And above is the impression of a new Canberra Stadium.

http://www.australia2018-2022.com.au/au ... diums.aspx
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Re: A new Canberra Stadium

Post by Dr Zaius »

This was also in the SMH this morning. Would be bloody brilliant for Canberra. Hopefully they've shelved the plans for the "multipurpose" ie AFL arena. Or maybe thats the fall back option if the Cup bid fails.

On another note, the SMH article details the planned Blacktown stadium. What a spectacular waste of taxpayers money. Its to be downgraded to 26,000 after the world cup. If they left it at 40,000, I could see Parra and Penrith playing some of their bigger games there, maybe the Dogs and Tigers moving games there instead of Homebush. But at 26,000, the only tenant they'll have is the Rovers A-league team, which could quite easily play out of parra. At least the AFL miss out (-:
Nick
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Jack Wighton

Post by Nick »

let me assure, you as someone from the area, the panthers or tigers or para or bulldogs wont even think about moving a game there

and the simple reason is the stadium is in the middle of **** no where, there is absolutely no parking around the area, its not within coooooooe of a train station. To get there you'll have to get a train to blacktown and then a 30 minute bus to the ground

its a very poorly done project, **** location, too much money being pumped in of my dollars and all for a team that is a fiscal black hole because no one gives a **** about AFL in Penrith
Vanilla Bear
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Edrick Lee

Post by Vanilla Bear »

Considering it is being developed for the World Cup you would think they are also planning on building a train line and parking facilities.
Schifty
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson

Post by Schifty »

In infrastructure in terms of transport might be crap now, but in 12 years time I'm pretty sure things will be looking a lot different..
Nick
Mal Meninga

Post by Nick »

Vault Boy wrote:
Nick wrote:let me assure, you as someone from the area, the panthers or tigers or para or bulldogs wont even think about moving a game there

and the simple reason is the stadium is in the middle of **** no where, there is absolutely no parking around the area, its not within coooooooe of a train station. To get there you'll have to get a train to blacktown and then a 30 minute bus to the ground

its a very poorly done project, **** location, too much money being pumped in of my dollars and all for a team that is a fiscal black hole because no one gives a **** about AFL in Penrith
Considering it is being developed for the World Cup you would think they are also planning on building a train line and parking facilities.
you'd bloody well hope so but the line will only be useful for the WC, after that it will be a giant white elephant, there is plenty of room there to do the car park, but given between blacktown and where this ground sits, it's almost going to be impossible to built a rail line... btw, you'd almost be better off getting off at Mt Druitt station rather than blacktown, and no one wants to do that :roflmao
Raider Fan
Peter Jackson
Favourite Player: Terry Campese

Post by Raider Fan »

Rooty Hill station is not that far a walk to this stadium. Closer walk than the parramatta stadium is to parramatta station or even penrith really.
Turbo_Raider
Glenn Lazarus
Favourite Player: Big Papa

Post by Turbo_Raider »

I just realised, with this proposal wouldn't the AIS precinct need to be demolished? that's how it seems in the render anyway. and is it just me or does it looks like the existing canberra stadium is going underground!!! how cool!!
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

^ Nah, the AIS campus is those buildings to the North-East of the existing stadium (relative to that image). There is an empty block of land backing onto Gunghalin Drive where the new stadium would go.
Raider47
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Matt Timoko

Post by Raider47 »

New ACT stadium in World Cup bid
JOHN-PAUL MOLONEY

A new $270 million rectangular stadium will ensure Canberra will be one of the biggest winners if Australia secures the hosting rights to a soccer World Cup.

This vision of a new stadium which could potentially host a World Cup quarter-final is now sitting on the desks of international soccer's governing body.

The Football Federation Australia and the Federal Government confirmed yesterday that Canberra would get a 40,000-seat stadium if Australia won the rights to the 2018 or 2022 tournaments.

The new stadium, understood to cost $270million, would take three years to build and would sit alongside the existing Canberra Stadium. The ACT Government would contribute $100million in current dollars to the construction.

The stadium would be part of a massive nationwide upgrade of football grounds at an overall cost of $2.8billion.

Ten host cities from around the country have been selected from and put forward by a federation FIFA delegation at FIFA's headquarters in Zurich overnight.

Canberra, Perth and Sydney are the three cities slated to receive new stadiums, while Melbourne, Geelong, Townsville, Adelaide, Gold Coast, Newcastle, Brisbane and two other stadiums in Sydney will be upgraded. Canberra's 40,000 capacity would be temporary, reduced to a more appropriate 27,000 after the tournament.

ACT Chief Minister Jon Stanhope said last night the territory was committed to the stadium project, although it would only go ahead if the bid was successful. ''A major stadium of this type would obviously be well beyond the capacity of the ACT to afford by itself and this is an opportunity if the bid succeeds to secure a magnificent piece of sporting infrastructure for the territory,'' Mr Stanhope said.

In its bid documents the Football Federation Australia has listed potential matches each stadium could host. All grounds are listed as potential hosts of group stage, round of 16 and quarter-finals.

http://www.canberratimes.com.au/news/lo ... 30922.aspx
hookey-rox
David Shillington

Post by hookey-rox »

back to canberra stadium... id rather them demolish the current canberra stadium and build the new one on that land... you could build awesome parking where the new one is proposed unlike the **** parking at the moment lol... but if you go to www.canberrastadium.com.au it has pretty good plans on a new stadium
GO THE RAIDERS

Member since 2009

Guide Dogs Australia, supporting referees since 2010.
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Phil Graham

Post by FuiFui BradBrad »

You could also get off at Doonside station, but I think I would prefer to get off at Mount Druitt lol.
It's funny, I have a mate who plays AFL at the stadium. He said last week during the game a train went past and blew it's horn, the players mistook it for the 1/4 time siren and some started walking off lol

I agree, it's not the best place for a stadium, but it's nearly the only place in Blacktown they have. Maybe they'll plan a train station or a shuttle bus service. I can't see it being as hard as getting public transport to SFS
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has done a superb job - 18/12/2020
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
Blindside
Simon Woolford

Post by Blindside »

Notice Andrew Barr is refusing to let go of the idea of the new stadium being a great big oval so his beloved AFL can be played there. The boffins examining the new stadium proposal have been asked to include the oval option.
Vanilla Bear
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Edrick Lee

Post by Vanilla Bear »

Blindside wrote:Notice Andrew Barr is refusing to let go of the idea of the new stadium being a great big oval so his beloved AFL can be played there. The boffins examining the new stadium proposal have been asked to include the oval option.
Yeah I am sick of that AFL loving muppet. He has opened his mouth far to many times and even threatened that the ACT would pull out of the World Cup bid at one point :|
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

hookey-rox wrote:back to canberra stadium... id rather them demolish the current canberra stadium and build the new one on that land... you could build awesome parking where the new one is proposed unlike the **** parking at the moment lol... but if you go to http://www.canberrastadium.com.au it has pretty good plans on a new stadium
Awesome. Then the Raiders could play out of Seiffert again for 3 years while they knock Bruce down and build the new one. :lol:

...or maybe they could put their thinking caps on and build carparking underneath the new stadium. :hmmm :woot:

Anyway, the current parking isn't where the new stadium is proposed, so how about doing both? For the cost of knocking down the current stadium you could pay for the construction of new car parking facilities (where the existing dirt car parks are) and also pay to reconfigure the current stadium for AFL, by getting rid of most of the inner bowl seating and extending the stands and terraces to get the capacity back to around 20K. That would make the playing surface almost as big as Docklands.

In fact the playing surface at Bruce is already pretty much as long as the SCG, just not nearly as wide, so it should be easy to reconfigure the ground in some way for AFL. This will also stop all those whingers around Manuka complaining about using the bloody lights for night time footy.
Lui_Bon
Jason Croker

Post by Lui_Bon »

Just wondering, can anyone explain why the proposed new stadium is going to be some integrated design with 40,000 seats and as soon as the WC is over, it's going to have all those seats ripped out to make it a "more appropriate" 27,000 capacity?

I mean, that's about the capacity of Bruce right now... which will still be there. We'll have two 27,000 seats right next to each other. Pure genius. Is Barr a tool or what?

And why is a reduced capacity more appropriate? If the damn seats are empty, it's not like they have to be polished every night. With another 50,000 people living in Molongolo (over Green objections) within 10-20 years, maybe, just maybe, the national capital deserves a bloody decent arena. Regional population will be closer to a million within a few years, especially if (and I do appreciate the guffaws) some kind of real train link is built to Sydney, with a population corridor filling out all the way down the Hume.

You'd think that the current stock of politicians couldn't think more than a couple of year into the future.

Oh wait....
Nick
Mal Meninga

Post by Nick »

good luck to you blokes if you want to get off a train at Rooty Hill or Donny and walk the streets
taking your lives in your own hands on that one :lol:
Bay53
Steve Walters

Post by Bay53 »

Surely that graphic of a new Canberra Stadium is pure fantasy....

for a start there is a double lane road next to the ground that doesn't have any roadworks on it.

surely not!!!!
Go_Greenm@chine
Alan Tongue
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki

Post by Go_Greenm@chine »

I think Barr is now leaning towards a multi-purpose staium with moveable grandstands isn't he? That wouldn't be a bad idea, allowing for Cricket, AFL, League and Union at the one venue.
woppadingo
Brett Mullins

Post by woppadingo »

Go_Greenm@chine wrote:I think Barr is now leaning towards a multi-purpose staium with moveable grandstands isn't he? That wouldn't be a bad idea, allowing for Cricket, AFL, League and Union at the one venue.
Good God NO!

Everyone I have spoken to and, IMHO, anyone with any common sense, would see that as the dumbest idea in the world. Truly an idea only a politician could come up with.
A stadium that tries to be all things will fail at all of them.
A good rectangular stadium, with nice steep and fully covered grandstands is a great solution for Rugby league, Rugby Union and Soccer (yes thats right, I called it Soccer!).
The crowd has a better view of the games and the crowd cheering is better heard on the field. Also, it would be a bit warmer as the wind blow through it like it does at the current stadium. It would also be way better for TV coverage.

and why build a stadium that is suitable mainly only for AFL, when we dont even have an AFL team?
Manuka can be the AFL ground. They can add another stand there and increase the capacity a bit without changing the overall character of the area. (I live near Manuka and I dont mind).
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

Barr was making noises about this multi-purpose crap a few months ago, but the plans submitted to FIFA appear to be a rectangular stadium, so I think that is likely what will be built. A change in plans would not be accepted by FIFA, particularly when at least 5 of the other grounds submitted are non-rectangular (GC, MCG, Geelong, Adelaide and Perth).

The original plan had included removing (some of) the inner bowl seating from the currently Bruce stdaium, returning the playing surface to its original height and running track shape and using it as an AFL/Cricket oval. Manuka was to be returned to a "community oval" which is probably code for Stanhope auctioning it off to the highest bidder.
woppadingo
Brett Mullins

Post by woppadingo »

.....and the federal funding agreement is for the new rectangular stadium, not this stupid super stadium idea.
So I dont think Barr's idea will get any traction.
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

I guess if the bid fails, and the ACT government decides to go it alone with a new stadium, we might end up with this monstrosity. Hopefully by then, there will be another state election and the good people of the ACT will have come to their senses and realised constant ****.

I read somewhere that the estimated lifespan of the current stadiumj without major renos is about 15 years.
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

Nick wrote:let me assure, you as someone from the area, the panthers or tigers or para or bulldogs wont even think about moving a game there

Yep that's all 100% correct. I went to uni out at Kingswood and I did an article on the rpoject (the cricket NSW side of it). It's a **** terrible location even if they did get a special train station for it. It's not until you've used the train regularly West of Blacktown until you realise the limitations of it.
well, I guess you could say that I'm buy curious.
hookey-rox
David Shillington

Post by hookey-rox »

Lui_Bon wrote:Just wondering, can anyone explain why the proposed new stadium is going to be some integrated design with 40,000 seats and as soon as the WC is over, it's going to have all those seats ripped out to make it a "more appropriate" 27,000 capacity?

I mean, that's about the capacity of Bruce right now... which will still be there. We'll have two 27,000 seats right next to each other. Pure genius. Is Barr a tool or what?

And why is a reduced capacity more appropriate? If the damn seats are empty, it's not like they have to be polished every night. With another 50,000 people living in Molongolo (over Green objections) within 10-20 years, maybe, just maybe, the national capital deserves a bloody decent arena. Regional population will be closer to a million within a few years, especially if (and I do appreciate the guffaws) some kind of real train link is built to Sydney, with a population corridor filling out all the way down the Hume.
i agree, i hope they dont reduce the capacity... 40,000 capacity would mean we could get more big games (Kangaroos, SoO, Wallabies and Socceroos), it would be so more better!!! and who knows... bigger stadium = bigger crowds???
GO THE RAIDERS

Member since 2009

aussie1st
David Furner

Post by aussie1st »

40k Stadium isn't too big anyway, don't know why they want to reduce it. Plus with the design shown its not a simple chop away the temporary stands like they did for ANZ Stadium.
hookey-rox
David Shillington

Post by hookey-rox »

aussie1st wrote:40k Stadium isn't too big anyway, don't know why they want to reduce it. Plus with the design shown its not a simple chop away the temporary stands like they did for ANZ Stadium.
its bigger than 27,000 thats for sure... and we need a big stadium anyway... the government should really consult those who actually use the ground on what to do with it instead of letting that AFL nuthead Barr run it
GO THE RAIDERS

Member since 2009

Lui_Bon
Jason Croker

Post by Lui_Bon »

hookey-rox wrote:
aussie1st wrote:40k Stadium isn't too big anyway, don't know why they want to reduce it. Plus with the design shown its not a simple chop away the temporary stands like they did for ANZ Stadium.
its bigger than 27,000 thats for sure... and we need a big stadium anyway... the government should really consult those who actually use the ground on what to do with it instead of letting that AFL nuthead Barr run it
After intensive research (ie reading the paper) apparently the stadium engineers just build an extra tier of seats on three sides, still under the roof, and after the WC they cut them away, thus reducing the capacity. The roof etc doesn't have to change at all. Of course this doesn't answer the question, WHY? From my ignorant perspective I can of course see that it makes so much more sense to have a giant bunch of blank walls than an available arrangement of an extra 13 thousand seats ready to go, but hell, I'm no politician.

The question remains, why do we need two stadiums with identical capacity right next to each other?

More pertinently, for Gavel and anyone else reading this, if this new stadium goes ahead where can we buy a cut in the townhouses that will inevitably be built on the existing Bruce Stadium site?
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

Lui_Bon wrote:
hookey-rox wrote:
After intensive research (ie reading the paper) apparently the stadium engineers just build an extra tier of seats on three sides, still under the roof, and after the WC they cut them away, thus reducing the capacity. The roof etc doesn't have to change at all. Of course this doesn't answer the question, WHY? From my ignorant perspective I can of course see that it makes so much more sense to have a giant bunch of blank walls than an available arrangement of an extra 13 thousand seats ready to go, but hell, I'm no politician.

The question remains, why do we need two stadiums with identical capacity right next to each other?

More pertinently, for Gavel and anyone else reading this, if this new stadium goes ahead where can we buy a cut in the townhouses that will inevitably be built on the existing Bruce Stadium site?
Bruce will revert to an oval, makin Manuka redundant. So your question should be more correctly, whre canwe buy a cut in the townhouses that will inevitably be built on the Manuka Oval site. Manuka = more $$$ than Bruce. Bruce is AIS (federal) land, Manuka is ACT government.
Lui_Bon
Jason Croker

Post by Lui_Bon »

Greenbits wrote:
Lui_Bon wrote:
hookey-rox wrote:

Bruce will revert to an oval, makin Manuka redundant. So your question should be more correctly, whre canwe buy a cut in the townhouses that will inevitably be built on the Manuka Oval site. Manuka = more $$$ than Bruce. Bruce is AIS (federal) land, Manuka is ACT government.
Yep dead right, except that Manuka Oval is I think under some sort of heritage listing and so can't possibly be rezoned residentail, yet also can't be redeveloped with afl-standard seating because that would push it beyond its street boundaries. Plus there's no parking. So the question remains, who stands to gain what when the money has to be produced. My guess is Manuka oval ignores the objections of local residents and gets a few minor grandstands, plus parking all over Forrest, Bruce gets levelled and turned into AIS athlete accommodation, or a carpark, and the quid pro quo is that the suburb of Bruce gets further expanded into an eastward chinatown for the ACT government/townhouse landlord...
nachopants
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by nachopants »

We barely get 15,000.
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

nacho wrote:
We barely get 15,000.
Would get more with a better, more enclosed (i.e. warmer) stadium.
twobewe
Tom Learoyd-Lahrs
Favourite Player: Darren Lockyer

Post by twobewe »

Greenbits wrote:
nacho wrote:
We barely get 15,000.
I don't believe we would.

I wish we would reduce the size of the stadium and make the atmosphere more intense. Make it a fortress teams would be scared to come to! (when we are winning).

Take EPL for example, small packed stadiums with nuts home fans scare teams!
hookey-rox
David Shillington

Post by hookey-rox »

twobewe wrote:
Greenbits wrote:
nacho wrote:
We barely get 15,000.
I don't believe we would.

I wish we would reduce the size of the stadium and make the atmosphere more intense. Make it a fortress teams would be scared to come to! (when we are winning).

Take EPL for example, small packed stadiums with nuts home fans scare teams!
i reckon we would get bigger crowds with a bigger stadium... and with the Brumbies on the verge of winning the Super14 (soon Super15) and the Raiders gaining tons of local suppport and big games against the Dragons, Tigers, Panthers etc... The average crowd numbers should go up... btw rooster play at SFS with 36,500, they barely get 15,000... WHY? because they get bigger crowds for bigger games AND SO WILL WE!!!
GO THE RAIDERS

Member since 2009

Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

The Brumbies are on the verge of winning the Super 14. Funny, I thought the final tonight was between the Bulls and Stormers.

Brumbies haven't made the semi-finals since 2004 - they have never made a Super 14 finals series.