A new Canberra Stadium?

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

Where would you like a new Canberra Stadium to be built?

Civic
91%
Bruce
9%
Mitchell
No votes

Total votes: 11

-TW-
Mal Meninga

Re: Civic still preferred stadium option for Canberra Raiders

Post by -TW- » February 7, 2020, 11:08 am

Just demolish Bruce, build better access roads and create a residential/business hub around it.

Sent from my ELE-L29 using Tapatalk

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed » February 7, 2020, 11:47 am

Mitchell will still be in the middle of nowhere, with a tram running past, and well away from the centre of population in Canberra.

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed » February 7, 2020, 11:48 am

-TW- wrote:
February 7, 2020, 11:08 am
Just demolish Bruce, build better access roads and create a residential/business hub around it.

That is certainly a better option than Mitchell. You have to wonder whether the ACT Government is favouring the north... as that is the basis of their support.

Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Wighton, Croker, Hodgson, Cotric

Post by Matt » February 7, 2020, 12:30 pm

greeneyed wrote:
February 7, 2020, 11:48 am
-TW- wrote:

That is certainly a better option than Mitchell. You have to wonder whether the ACT Government is favouring the north... as that is the basis of their support.
The reason is to focus all the money in 1 place. They want to upgrade Epic too.
Its a good financial reason, even if its poor for most of the rest of the reasons.

BJ
Jason Croker

Post by BJ » February 7, 2020, 12:51 pm

Matt wrote:
greeneyed wrote:
-TW- wrote:

Its a good financial reason, even if its poor for most of the rest of the reasons.
Can you explain “The reason is to focus all the money in 1 place.”???

Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Wighton, Croker, Hodgson, Cotric

Post by Matt » February 7, 2020, 1:05 pm

BJ wrote:
February 7, 2020, 12:51 pm
Matt wrote:
greeneyed wrote:
-TW- wrote:

Can you explain “The reason is to focus all the money in 1 place.”???
They want to upgrade the facilities out there at epic. Right now its and event location for fairs, markets etc, and they are being run out of animal sheds that have seen better days.
If you focus the upgrade into 1 place, you:
1. are digging holes in 1 places
2. arent disrupting multiple places - roads, business, etc
3. upgrade services in 1 place (electricity, water, sewer, etc)

They also have good access to the area via the 3 highways Monaro/ Majura, Barton and Federal for travellers.

They have already poured money into the area with the tram. So this would complete the upgrade of the area as a whole, and provide a versatile space for main events, creating an 'event hub'.

I dont like it, but I can see the reason.

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed » February 7, 2020, 1:21 pm

Mitchell is a complete disaster area as a bottleneck when there's any event there. Crazy to build it there.

afgtnk
Gary Belcher

Post by afgtnk » February 7, 2020, 3:36 pm

Surely there's enough room with a bit of creativity if needed in the Civic Pool precinct - we're only talking a 30k stadium tops here, with what I'm guessing is limited surface parking. And if it's a bit too tight, how much could chewing into that big ass median strip on Parkes Way to build a new lane/s possibly cost?

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed » February 7, 2020, 3:41 pm

afgtnk wrote:
February 7, 2020, 3:36 pm
Surely there's enough room with a bit of creativity if needed in the Civic Pool precinct - we're only talking a 30k stadium tops here, with what I'm guessing is limited surface parking. And if it's a bit too tight, how much could chewing into that big ass median strip on Parkes Way to build a new lane/s possibly cost?
The issue is it is too small, particularly if the stadium is to be properly aligned with the sidelines east-west. The original idea was to have no seats at one end... that's how small the site is... It will certainly need Parkes Way to be re-aligned (preferably put underground, but this looks to be a "cheapie" stadium development in the government's mind, and that'll probably be too expensive). It also preferably would have a retractable roof... but again that'll probably be too expensive.

Sterlk
John Ferguson

Post by Sterlk » February 7, 2020, 5:59 pm

greeneyed wrote:
-TW- wrote:

I haven't looked at growth statistics recently, but isn't the North (Gungahlin in particular) growing rapidly, and the South relatively stable or shrinking?

Now, I'm not in favour of the EPIC option - Civic makes much more sense - but taking North vs. South tribalism out of the equation and looking at logically... if you're a city planner with the choice of far North or far South, surely you take the growth area?
:!: Warning: poster is incapable of humour, engage with at your own risk. Symptoms of engagement may include frustration, mental imbalance and temporary insanity.

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed » February 7, 2020, 6:55 pm

Sterlk wrote:
February 7, 2020, 5:59 pm
greeneyed wrote:
-TW- wrote:

I haven't looked at growth statistics recently, but isn't the North (Gungahlin in particular) growing rapidly, and the South relatively stable or shrinking?

Now, I'm not in favour of the EPIC option - Civic makes much more sense - but taking North vs. South tribalism out of the equation and looking at logically... if you're a city planner with the choice of far North or far South, surely you take the growth area?
This was the latest I could find quickly (from 2016)... it had been moving north at 160 metres per annum, so it might be half a kilometre further north... but I'd say Civic is a fair representation of the centre. Remember that there is now also Molonglo. The centre of population is certainly not in Mitchell, and, being in the north east corner of the ACT, I doubt it ever will be. It is only a few minutes drive to the border.

"The centre of population in the ACT at June 2016 was located on the banks of Lake Burley Griffin, in the suburb of Yarralumla. In the ten years to 2016, the centre of population moved approximately 1.5 kilometres north. This reflects population growth in the northern suburbs of Canberra."

https://www.abs.gov.au/AUSSTATS/abs@.ns ... num=&view=

Begbie
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Smash Williams

Post by Begbie » February 7, 2020, 7:10 pm

Approx 500m north since 2016 means the rightful centre of Canberra is the quiet back streets of Reid.

BJ
Jason Croker

Post by BJ » February 7, 2020, 7:13 pm

The population shift to the north is based on political investment decisions not due to geospatial reasons.

New suburbs coming are even crossing over the northern border into NSW.

Tuggeranong west of the Hyperdome was the approved and planned area for growth. That’s why the Hyperdome sits where it is, weirdly on the edge of Tuggeranong.

Even Labor politicians have publicly stated that ACT elections are won in the north and that’s where the ACT Government focus their investment decisions.

Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 » February 8, 2020, 8:14 am

Hopefully, wherever they put the stadium, it can fit the 7 thousand people that attended the Brumbies game last night.

Those appalling crowds don't help the cause.

greeneyed
Don Furner

Re: A new Canberra Stadium?

Post by greeneyed » February 14, 2020, 5:14 pm

New $2 million Canberra Stadium video screen to debut for Canberra Raiders Round 1 home clash with Gold Coast Titans

Canberra Stadium officials are putting the finishing touches on a $2 million video screen at the southern end of the field - which is double the size of the existing screen. The final parts of the new screen arrived two weeks ago and have just been put in place... but testing and technical work will mean it will not make its debut until the Raiders 2020 season opener.

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14240

What the new screen looks like: https://twitter.com/TheGHRaiders/status ... 4981918723

Elcaptcroker
Ken Nagas
Favourite Player: Jarrod croker

Post by Elcaptcroker » February 14, 2020, 6:29 pm

Build it in civic, on the pool site and put a 3 story carpark underneath it, that can be used during the day at a reasonable cost

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 » February 14, 2020, 6:33 pm

They'll be crazy of they don't locate it centrally, in the city. It's a once in a lifetime opportunity to do so.

Building it elsewhere and hoping that restaurants and bars will establish themselves around it is a bit fanciful.