Is Croker the right captain for the team

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

User avatar
gangrenous
Bradley Clyde
Posts: 8474
Joined: May 12, 2007, 10:42 pm

Re: Is Croker the right captain for the team

Post by gangrenous » June 9, 2018, 5:49 pm

LastRaider wrote:
RTW wrote:Does anyone really believe that if the captaincy was given to someone else in this current squad then results and as such our culture would be significantly different?
Yes, I believe there would be. Look at the Storm as an example. Bellamy and Smith run that team. Currently with the Raiders t is just Stuart. Croker doesn’t step up enough


Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse
I think you missed a key aspect of that question. Smith is not in our team.

Croker is the best captain we have imo.

LastRaider
Chris O'Sullivan
Posts: 935
Joined: March 31, 2018, 9:30 pm

Is Croker the right captain for the team

Post by LastRaider » June 9, 2018, 6:12 pm

gangrenous wrote:
LastRaider wrote:
RTW wrote:Does anyone really believe that if the captaincy was given to someone else in this current squad then results and as such our culture would be significantly different?
Yes, I believe there would be. Look at the Storm as an example. Bellamy and Smith run that team. Currently with the Raiders t is just Stuart. Croker doesn’t step up enough


Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse
I think you missed a key aspect of that question. Smith is not in our team.

Croker is the best captain we have imo.
Whitehead or Hodgson I think are better options. Purely because although Ricky bought them to Australia they would know they could get a contract at any other club so aren’t reliant on sucking up to Stuart to keep their contract. They have a footy head, the team listens to them on the ground and they work hard.

Unfortunately Croker needs to stay in Stuart’s good books to retain his level of pay Cheque and position in the team.


Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse

raiderskater
John Ferguson
Posts: 2223
Joined: July 26, 2015, 8:24 pm
Favourite Player: Croker, Wighton, Baptiste
Location: The Land of Lime Green

Re: Is Croker the right captain for the team

Post by raiderskater » June 9, 2018, 6:15 pm

BigPapa wrote:
June 9, 2018, 12:08 pm
raiderskater wrote:
June 9, 2018, 10:38 am
BigPapa wrote:
June 9, 2018, 6:49 am
I don't think Croker is the right Captain for this team moving forward anymore. I wouldn't even be disappointed if he left the club. I don't think he'll ever be much more then your average centre. I think we have 2 better centers in Wighton and Cotric that will never get a run there while Croker is in the team.
Imagine being such an idiot that you post something like this after a night when his general ball play was outstanding, when his defence was solid, when his kicking was perfect, and when he continued to challenge the absolute garbage ref even as the ref told him not to bother.

Croker did not make Hingano a butterfingers. Croker did not make Havili decide to take that shot when Austin was standing ready. Croker was not the one standing there with the whistle refusing to blow a penalty when the shot clock had expired and the Panthers still hadn't fed the scrum. What did you want him to do, exactly?
General ball playing outstanding thank God we have a captain who can pass to his winger. Defence was solid OMG make him captain for life. And his kicking was perfect why the **** is he even kicking but your right give him the C for life because results don't mean **** hey idiot.
My first paragraph was responding to your general delusion that the club would be better off if he moved on, which you'd know if you actually had reading comprehension. He's a fine centre who should have had rep honours already and does good work for our team. Always.

(As for "why the **** is he even kicking" BECAUSE WE SCORED TRIES, you blithering idiot, and someone has to convert them, and why not Croker, whose kicking percentage is among the best in the league?)

Again: Croker did not make Hingano a butterfingers. Croker did not make Havili decide to take that shot when Austin was standing ready. Croker was not the one standing there with the whistle refusing to blow a penalty when the shot clock had expired and the Panthers still hadn't fed the scrum. And none of those things would change if someone else was the captain. The only one I'll grant you is that Cameron Smith probably would have blown himself the penalty for the shot-clock, but I've said before and I'll say again, I don't want that vile, filthy, dirty nasty cheat to be anywhere near our club except when Papalii is dropping his face to the turf.

The ol' "Croker needs to sacked" idiot threads usually start coming out around this time because people are looking for an easy scapegoat. Croker's not the one who put Hingano on the wing. He's not the one who dropped all those balls like Rapana did, or who chose to try a field goal attempt - in fact, after the Manly game, he admitted he considered it after Sezer's first charged-down attempt and thought better of it which means he clearly doesn't think he's up for that job - he's not even the one who spilled the ball with the line wide open, and as much as I love Cotric, that was potentially a more damaging factor than anything else.
And to all the people who doubted me, hello to them as well. - Mark Webber, Raiders Ballboy and Unluckiest F1 Driver Ever

I'm attacking in the right way, instead of just...attacking in the general direction. - Max Aaron (also eerily apropos for the Green Machine)

User avatar
CJ42
Laurie Daley
Posts: 12645
Joined: April 12, 2011, 5:13 pm

Re: Is Croker the right captain for the team

Post by CJ42 » June 9, 2018, 6:45 pm

The only person I’d have over Croker is Hodgson, and he does that job when he’s in the side anyway.


Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
Image

User avatar
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Posts: 20084
Joined: June 19, 2007, 8:17 am
Favourite Player: Dean Lance
Location: Greener pastures

Re: Is Croker the right captain for the team

Post by Northern Raider » June 11, 2018, 8:55 am

LastRaider wrote:
June 9, 2018, 4:54 pm
RTW wrote:Does anyone really believe that if the captaincy was given to someone else in this current squad then results and as such our culture would be significantly different?
Yes, I believe there would be. Look at the Storm as an example. Bellamy and Smith run that team. Currently with the Raiders t is just Stuart. Croker doesn’t step up enough


Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse
So we should appoint somebody who’s as good a player/leader as Cam Smith?
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.

User avatar
Captain Punish
Brett Mullins
Posts: 1079
Joined: June 24, 2017, 8:47 pm
Favourite Player: Tarps

Re: Is Croker the right captain for the team

Post by Captain Punish » June 11, 2018, 9:04 am

Northern Raider wrote:
LastRaider wrote:
June 9, 2018, 4:54 pm
RTW wrote:Does anyone really believe that if the captaincy was given to someone else in this current squad then results and as such our culture would be significantly different?
Yes, I believe there would be. Look at the Storm as an example. Bellamy and Smith run that team. Currently with the Raiders t is just Stuart. Croker doesn’t step up enough


Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse
So we should appoint somebody who’s as good a player/leader as Cam Smith?
Jackson Hastings. He is the only choice.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk


User avatar
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Posts: 20084
Joined: June 19, 2007, 8:17 am
Favourite Player: Dean Lance
Location: Greener pastures

Re: Is Croker the right captain for the team

Post by Northern Raider » June 11, 2018, 9:54 am

Captain Punish wrote:
June 11, 2018, 9:04 am
Northern Raider wrote:
LastRaider wrote:
June 9, 2018, 4:54 pm
RTW wrote:Does anyone really believe that if the captaincy was given to someone else in this current squad then results and as such our culture would be significantly different?
Yes, I believe there would be. Look at the Storm as an example. Bellamy and Smith run that team. Currently with the Raiders t is just Stuart. Croker doesn’t step up enough


Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse
So we should appoint somebody who’s as good a player/leader as Cam Smith?
Jackson Hastings. He is the only choice.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk
At last somebody brings some logic to the discussion
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.

User avatar
Roger Kenworthy
Steve Walters
Posts: 7743
Joined: January 7, 2005, 10:18 pm
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki, J-Lo, Jordan Rapana

Re: Is Croker the right captain for the team

Post by Roger Kenworthy » June 12, 2018, 10:57 pm

After seeing Hodgson on The Fan this evening he just seems perfect for the job. Very articulate and well mannered - great ambassador for the club and the game.

User avatar
Brew
Gary Belcher
Posts: 6502
Joined: June 4, 2005, 11:35 am
Favourite Player: Blake Austin
Location: Bondi Junction

Re: Is Croker the right captain for the team

Post by Brew » June 13, 2018, 7:37 am

Roger Kenworthy wrote:After seeing Hodgson on The Fan this evening he just seems perfect for the job. Very articulate and well mannered - great ambassador for the club and the game.
So is Croker...


Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
In Ricky We Trust

User avatar
Roger Kenworthy
Steve Walters
Posts: 7743
Joined: January 7, 2005, 10:18 pm
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki, J-Lo, Jordan Rapana

Re: Is Croker the right captain for the team

Post by Roger Kenworthy » June 13, 2018, 7:48 am

Brew wrote:
June 13, 2018, 7:37 am
Roger Kenworthy wrote:After seeing Hodgson on The Fan this evening he just seems perfect for the job. Very articulate and well mannered - great ambassador for the club and the game.
So is Croker...


Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
Croker is definitely a great ambassador and very well mannered also. I just think Hodgson's charisma is invaluable in promoting the club in this day and age of media overload, plus being in the centre of the action on field is never a bad thing.

He has had a temper on the field in the past so there are some issues :lol:

User avatar
LP Raider
Bradley Clyde
Posts: 8764
Joined: March 13, 2010, 8:44 am
Favourite Player: Craig Garvey

Re: Is Croker the right captain for the team

Post by LP Raider » June 19, 2018, 5:44 pm

Bump.

You all know where I'm going with this.

Has presence in the game, international, great player, refs might actually listen if they can understand him.

User avatar
-TW-
Mal Meninga
Posts: 29122
Joined: July 2, 2007, 11:41 am

Re: Is Croker the right captain for the team

Post by -TW- » June 19, 2018, 6:00 pm

Joey Leilua?

User avatar
The Green Arrow
Peter Jackson
Posts: 229
Joined: July 20, 2013, 7:40 pm
Favourite Player: Aidan Sezer

Re: Is Croker the right captain for the team

Post by The Green Arrow » June 19, 2018, 6:01 pm

No.

Hodgson doesn't need a (C) next to his name to be a leader of this team.

Croker speaks well, is great with the fans, has no off-field problems and is respected by the players and coach. Just because he doesn't yell at the boys under the posts doesn't mean he isn't a leader.
Last edited by The Green Arrow on June 20, 2018, 11:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sezer's Palace on Twitter

User avatar
LP Raider
Bradley Clyde
Posts: 8764
Joined: March 13, 2010, 8:44 am
Favourite Player: Craig Garvey

Re: Is Croker the right captain for the team

Post by LP Raider » June 19, 2018, 6:23 pm

-TW- wrote:
June 19, 2018, 6:00 pm
Joey Leilua?
Nope

User avatar
Pigman
Mal Meninga
Posts: 22502
Joined: June 18, 2013, 4:31 pm
Favourite Player: Nick Cotric

Re: Is Croker the right captain for the team

Post by Pigman » June 19, 2018, 6:28 pm

That's where you're wrong, Green Arrow

There is only one type of leadership acceptable in sports, and unless Jarrod Croker is prepped with Al Pacino Inch by Inch level speeches every time a try is conceded then he cant be the captain of this god damn football team!
The List - K.Love, Keno, Zippy's tennis angels, LA Lakers, Noah, Boozer, Lucy's horse tips, Colts, Lucy, Kevin Proctor, Dr Zaius, TR, Tinfoil hatted Gangers & Woody, anyone in Raiders HQ who can point to QBN on a map....

Matt wrote:
July 18, 2018, 3:49 pm
Edrick Lee 5. Jordan Rapana
Prepare the cannon!

User avatar
luke
John Ferguson
Posts: 2234
Joined: February 7, 2010, 5:32 pm
Favourite Player: Brett Mullins

Re: Is Croker the right captain for the team

Post by luke » June 19, 2018, 8:03 pm

Imagine if we could keep Croker as captain *and* continue to have Hodgson repping the club well in the media, being a strong on field leader etc

User avatar
zim
Ruben Wiki
Posts: 5814
Joined: July 8, 2015, 3:38 pm
Favourite Player: Past: Brett Mullins
Present: Elliot Whitehead
Location: Sydney

Re: Is Croker the right captain for the team

Post by zim » June 19, 2018, 8:55 pm

I thought the move, sack, replace Croker as captain talk was for after losses. It's good to see the GH keep evolving their play.

User avatar
reptar
Laurie Daley
Posts: 14051
Joined: January 25, 2005, 9:24 pm
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson
Location: Brisbane

Re: Is Croker the right captain for the team

Post by reptar » June 19, 2018, 9:20 pm

luke wrote:Imagine if we could keep Croker as captain *and* continue to have Hodgson repping the club well in the media, being a strong on field leader etc
What crazy world is this, luke, and will I need to wear a seatbelt to get there?
Gina Riley: Oh, come on, John. That’s a bit old hat, the corrupt IOC delegate.
John Clarke: Old hat? Gina, in the scientific world when they see that something is happening again and again and again, repeatedly, they don’t call it old hat. They call it a pattern.

User avatar
luke
John Ferguson
Posts: 2234
Joined: February 7, 2010, 5:32 pm
Favourite Player: Brett Mullins

Re: Is Croker the right captain for the team

Post by luke » June 19, 2018, 9:48 pm

reptar wrote:
June 19, 2018, 9:20 pm
luke wrote:Imagine if we could keep Croker as captain *and* continue to have Hodgson repping the club well in the media, being a strong on field leader etc
What crazy world is this, luke, and will I need to wear a seatbelt to get there?
Purely fictional, reptar

LastRaider
Chris O'Sullivan
Posts: 935
Joined: March 31, 2018, 9:30 pm

Is Croker the right captain for the team

Post by LastRaider » June 20, 2018, 10:04 am

I think it was pretty clear over the weekend how the team lifted and went to a different level with Hodgson on the field. He is the real leader in this team and Croker needs to stand a side


Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse

RedRaider
Gary Belcher
Posts: 6790
Joined: March 3, 2007, 7:02 pm

Re: Is Croker the right captain for the team

Post by RedRaider » June 30, 2018, 2:58 pm

While Sticky is the Coach there will be no change in Captain. Once he makes up his mind he will never change his decision. Just as we have seen the likes of Hingano, a half, playing hooker off the bench. Only return from injury by Hodgo and now injury to Hingano changed that decision. It didn't matter Hingano's crook form, nothing will sway Sticky from his path. Regardless of where the path leads.

User avatar
luke
John Ferguson
Posts: 2234
Joined: February 7, 2010, 5:32 pm
Favourite Player: Brett Mullins

Re: Is Croker the right captain for the team

Post by luke » June 30, 2018, 3:28 pm

luke wrote:
June 19, 2018, 8:03 pm
Imagine if we could keep Croker as captain *and* continue to have Hodgson repping the club well in the media, being a strong on field leader etc

User avatar
luke
John Ferguson
Posts: 2234
Joined: February 7, 2010, 5:32 pm
Favourite Player: Brett Mullins

Re: Is Croker the right captain for the team

Post by luke » June 30, 2018, 3:30 pm

LastRaider wrote:
June 20, 2018, 10:04 am
I think it was pretty clear over the weekend how the team lifted and went to a different level with Hodgson on the field. He is the real leader in this team and Croker needs to stand a side


Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse
actually, Conor, is this you trolling me from an alt account?

"stand a side" is a nice touch

User avatar
mamando
Peter Jackson
Posts: 285
Joined: May 22, 2017, 3:41 pm
Favourite Player: Hard to go past Big Bruce!

Re: Is Croker the right captain for the team

Post by mamando » June 30, 2018, 9:38 pm

No. He’s a reflection of the mediocrity that is only accepted at the Canberra Raiders. He wouldn’t even get a run at a bunch of other clubs.

User avatar
yeh raiders
Laurie Daley
Posts: 14335
Joined: June 21, 2008, 3:04 pm
Favourite Player: Jack Wighton
Location: Sydney

Re: Is Croker the right captain for the team

Post by yeh raiders » June 30, 2018, 9:45 pm

mamando wrote:
June 30, 2018, 9:38 pm
No. He’s a reflection of the mediocrity that is only accepted at the Canberra Raiders. He wouldn’t even get a run at a bunch of other clubs.
I think he’d get a run at other clubs, but I agree that putting a player like him on a pedestal is typical of a us... a club clearly not results focussed or performance driven.

User avatar
-TW-
Mal Meninga
Posts: 29122
Joined: July 2, 2007, 11:41 am

Re: Is Croker the right captain for the team

Post by -TW- » June 30, 2018, 9:48 pm

He was the best choice at the time not knowing how much of a boss Hodgo would be

User avatar
Pigman
Mal Meninga
Posts: 22502
Joined: June 18, 2013, 4:31 pm
Favourite Player: Nick Cotric

Re: Is Croker the right captain for the team

Post by Pigman » June 30, 2018, 9:52 pm

Unless he can get Stuart to send Austin to reserve grade, he should be stood down as captain*

*Im only half joking
The List - K.Love, Keno, Zippy's tennis angels, LA Lakers, Noah, Boozer, Lucy's horse tips, Colts, Lucy, Kevin Proctor, Dr Zaius, TR, Tinfoil hatted Gangers & Woody, anyone in Raiders HQ who can point to QBN on a map....

Matt wrote:
July 18, 2018, 3:49 pm
Edrick Lee 5. Jordan Rapana
Prepare the cannon!

User avatar
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Posts: 20084
Joined: June 19, 2007, 8:17 am
Favourite Player: Dean Lance
Location: Greener pastures

Re: Is Croker the right captain for the team

Post by Northern Raider » June 30, 2018, 9:55 pm

Pretty sure Hodgo was on the field in that 2nd half too.

Unfortunately our problems are a little deeper than who attends coin tosses, press conferences and promotional engagements.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.

Ilanraiders
Brett Mullins
Posts: 1296
Joined: November 1, 2012, 3:54 am
Favourite Player: Rubenrunlikeatrainandhitlikeatruckwiki!
Location: Thursday island

Re: Is Croker the right captain for the team

Post by Ilanraiders » June 30, 2018, 9:58 pm

Northern Raider wrote:
June 11, 2018, 8:55 am
LastRaider wrote:
June 9, 2018, 4:54 pm
RTW wrote:Does anyone really believe that if the captaincy was given to someone else in this current squad then results and as such our culture would be significantly different?
Yes, I believe there would be. Look at the Storm as an example. Bellamy and Smith run that team. Currently with the Raiders t is just Stuart. Croker doesn’t step up enough


Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse
So we should appoint somebody who’s as good a player/leader as Cam Smith?
Jason Bulgarelli
"Learn to appreciate what you have, before time makes you appreciate what you had"!! RAIDERSTILLIDIE!!

User avatar
afgtnk
Ruben Wiki
Posts: 5730
Joined: April 7, 2007, 1:45 am
Favourite Player: Jersh McCrerne
Location: Sydney

Re: Is Croker the right captain for the team

Post by afgtnk » June 30, 2018, 10:01 pm

A slow, mild mannered ball hogging centre with still slightly questionable defence, who never has and never will play rep football, has been our captain for the last 4 seasons.

If that doesn't say we aren't mediocre, I don't know what does.

User avatar
yeh raiders
Laurie Daley
Posts: 14335
Joined: June 21, 2008, 3:04 pm
Favourite Player: Jack Wighton
Location: Sydney

Re: Is Croker the right captain for the team

Post by yeh raiders » June 30, 2018, 10:04 pm

afgtnk wrote:
June 30, 2018, 10:01 pm
A slow, mild mannered ball hogging centre with still slightly questionable defence, who never has and never will play rep football, has been our captain for the last 4 seasons.

If that doesn't say we aren't mediocre, I don't know what does.
It’s all Edrick Lee’s fault

User avatar
edwahu
Laurie Daley
Posts: 16999
Joined: January 13, 2005, 5:22 pm

Re: Is Croker the right captain for the team

Post by edwahu » June 30, 2018, 10:06 pm

Hodgo and Whitehead lead the team from what I can see. Just give one the (C).

User avatar
CJ42
Laurie Daley
Posts: 12645
Joined: April 12, 2011, 5:13 pm

Re: Is Croker the right captain for the team

Post by CJ42 » June 30, 2018, 10:34 pm

Pigman wrote:Unless he can get Stuart to send Austin to reserve grade, he should be stood down as captain*

*Im only half joking
Well we all know his opinion on Austin from earlier this season, hopefully tonight pushes him over the edge lol
Image

Billy Walker
Chris O'Sullivan
Posts: 998
Joined: April 29, 2017, 7:22 pm
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Re: Is Croker the right captain for the team

Post by Billy Walker » June 30, 2018, 10:56 pm

He should captain the Mounties- he adds nothing

User avatar
luke
John Ferguson
Posts: 2234
Joined: February 7, 2010, 5:32 pm
Favourite Player: Brett Mullins

Re: Is Croker the right captain for the team

Post by luke » June 30, 2018, 11:18 pm

so, logically, Hodgo shouldn't be captain now yeah?

Post Reply