Canberra Raiders re-sign Aidan Sezer for two more years

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

User avatar
BJ
John Ferguson
Posts: 2876
Joined: February 2, 2007, 12:14 pm

Re: Canberra Raiders re-sign Aidan Sezer for two more years

Post by BJ » June 15, 2018, 12:32 pm

I think Sezer offers more stability than Austin. But we need to be in the market for a top quality half over the next two seasons.

I doubt his contract would have broken the bank, but it will be more likely $7-750k than the $500k that some have mooted.

If the higher amount is still the case we may have the option to pay St George money for a Hunt style opportunity. Especially without retaining our two props on big deals.

User avatar
The Green Arrow
Peter Jackson
Posts: 221
Joined: July 20, 2013, 7:40 pm
Favourite Player: Aidan Sezer

Re: Canberra Raiders re-sign Aidan Sezer for two more years

Post by The Green Arrow » June 15, 2018, 12:36 pm

I don't think it would be $750k, the original word was that we wanted him to take a pay cut.

With the cap inflating since he signed in 2015, I'd say it would be somewhere in the ballpark of $500-600k.
Blake Ferguson - You have failed this city.

User avatar
Northern Raider
Laurie Daley
Posts: 19363
Joined: June 19, 2007, 8:17 am
Favourite Player: Dean Lance
Location: Greener pastures

Re: Canberra Raiders re-sign Aidan Sezer for two more years

Post by Northern Raider » June 15, 2018, 12:38 pm

Very good post Mr Arrow. Well measured and shines a light on the cold hard truth of our situation. Sezer is a long way off an elite NRL half but he’s still the best we currently have and at least on par any off contract alternatives.

The situation for available quality halves is quite dire at the moment. Also consider guys like Cronk and Thurston are close to hanging up the boots which creates even more demand for talent in the role.

I think we’re pretty screwed for options right now and our only real hope is to pick up Corey Norman the hope he finally switches on attitude wise.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.

User avatar
Zip Zip
Ruben Wiki
Posts: 5111
Joined: January 11, 2005, 7:41 pm
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga
Location: The Club!

Re: Canberra Raiders re-sign Aidan Sezer for two more years

Post by Zip Zip » June 15, 2018, 1:01 pm

Great post. All fair points. We just crave consistency.
"Look sorry if that came across wrong, I was just referring to the jokes we were making about all the desperate guys who chase you. Hope to catch up some time, but if not best of luck with everything."

User avatar
Matt
Don Furner
Posts: 29627
Joined: May 18, 2010, 4:17 pm
Favourite Player: Wighton, Croker, Hodgson, Cotric
Location: Canberra

Re: Canberra Raiders re-sign Aidan Sezer for two more years

Post by Matt » June 15, 2018, 1:33 pm

I've said it a 1000 times, but I believe Sezer is the more serviceable of our 2 starting halves. I have always believed this team needs ball distributers in the halves, esp with the money we have spent on the edges.


As for his pay packet, the figure floated around when he signed from Titans was 500K. Which we all thought was a bargain. TBH, if the figure was still that, we are even better off. If its now 600K, we are still probably ahead with cap raising etc.

User avatar
edwahu
Laurie Daley
Posts: 15558
Joined: January 13, 2005, 5:22 pm

Re: Canberra Raiders re-sign Aidan Sezer for two more years

Post by edwahu » June 15, 2018, 1:58 pm

Zip Zip wrote:
June 15, 2018, 1:01 pm
Great post. All fair points. We just crave consistency.
I think he is consistent, just consistently poor. He has had maybe 4 or 5 good games since he joined.

User avatar
RTW
David Furner
Posts: 3029
Joined: July 29, 2008, 7:05 pm
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley
Location: Brisbane

Re: Canberra Raiders re-sign Aidan Sezer for two more years

Post by RTW » June 15, 2018, 2:45 pm

The more I think about it the more we have to give Beock Lamb a shot.

Sign him on a two year deal. We really don’t have any other options and nothing is really becoming available at the end of next year.


RedRaider
Gary Belcher
Posts: 6394
Joined: March 3, 2007, 7:02 pm

Re: Canberra Raiders re-sign Aidan Sezer for two more years

Post by RedRaider » June 15, 2018, 3:11 pm

Why wouldn't we look to England for possible halves options? As others have said the pickings are slim in Australia and with Cronk and JT about to retire the competition will be hot. Now is the time to get into the England market. We have an England representative in EW who will see first hand in the Test against the Kiwi's, the possibilities.

I wonder why the Club won't shut the door on Austin. I believe in the adage 'No means No'. He has said No twice. Move on.

User avatar
Northern Raider
Laurie Daley
Posts: 19363
Joined: June 19, 2007, 8:17 am
Favourite Player: Dean Lance
Location: Greener pastures

Re: Canberra Raiders re-sign Aidan Sezer for two more years

Post by Northern Raider » June 15, 2018, 3:17 pm

RedRaider wrote:
June 15, 2018, 3:11 pm
Why wouldn't we look to England for possible halves options? As others have said the pickings are slim in Australia and with Cronk and JT about to retire the competition will be hot. Now is the time to get into the England market. We have an England representative in EW who will see first hand in the Test against the Kiwi's, the possibilities.

I wonder why the Club won't shut the door on Austin. I believe in the adage 'No means No'. He has said No twice. Move on.
England might be our only alternative. The biggest concern is the number of sub standard NRL halves who have gone over there and become superstars. Makes you think it’s no different to recruiting halves from state leagues.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.

User avatar
BJ
John Ferguson
Posts: 2876
Joined: February 2, 2007, 12:14 pm

Re: Canberra Raiders re-sign Aidan Sezer for two more years

Post by BJ » June 15, 2018, 4:29 pm

RTW wrote:The more I think about it the more we have to give Beock Lamb a shot.

Sign him on a two year deal. We really don’t have any other options and nothing is really becoming available at the end of next year.
Brock Lamb is pretty average and not likely to become a top line half. He hasn’t exactly shined at Newcastle.

User avatar
Roger Kenworthy
Steve Walters
Posts: 7512
Joined: January 7, 2005, 10:18 pm
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki, J-Lo, Jordan Rapana

Re: Canberra Raiders re-sign Aidan Sezer for two more years

Post by Roger Kenworthy » June 16, 2018, 6:48 am

BJ wrote:
June 15, 2018, 12:32 pm
I think Sezer offers more stability than Austin. But we need to be in the market for a top quality half over the next two seasons.

I doubt his contract would have broken the bank, but it will be more likely $7-750k than the $500k that some have mooted.

If the higher amount is still the case we may have the option to pay St George money for a Hunt style opportunity. Especially without retaining our two props on big deals.
I agree. With the mess we're in it's pretty clear we pay 15-30% over market value.

Strange to give our cap management the benefit of the doubt.

User avatar
Pigman
Mal Meninga
Posts: 21307
Joined: June 18, 2013, 4:31 pm
Favourite Player: Nick Cotric

Re: Canberra Raiders re-sign Aidan Sezer for two more years

Post by Pigman » June 16, 2018, 9:12 am

its interesting to note the money side of it hasnt been leaked... usually that stuff is leaked by managers as advertisement for the deals they've gotten, to help attract other clients
The List - K.Love, Keno, Zippy's tennis angels, LA Lakers, Noah, Boozer, Lucy's horse tips, Colts, Lucy, Kevin Proctor, Dr Zaius, TR, Tinfoil hatted Gangers & Woody, anyone in Raiders HQ who can point to QBN on a map....

Prepare the cannon!

User avatar
BJ
John Ferguson
Posts: 2876
Joined: February 2, 2007, 12:14 pm

Re: Canberra Raiders re-sign Aidan Sezer for two more years

Post by BJ » June 16, 2018, 10:16 am

Pigman wrote:its interesting to note the money side of it hasnt been leaked... usually that stuff is leaked by managers as advertisement for the deals they've gotten, to help attract other clients

I’m with you on that one Pigman. Managers often spruik these high claims for various reasons.

Then some journalists love to increase the players wage if their from Raiders or Titans or reduce the players wage if their from Broncos or Storm.

The Milford playing for $450k at the Broncos for half of what the Raiders offered took the cake for me.

Raidernation
Peter Jackson
Posts: 218
Joined: August 11, 2015, 3:12 pm
Favourite Player: Stuart

Re: Canberra Raiders re-sign Aidan Sezer for two more years

Post by Raidernation » June 16, 2018, 10:27 am

That was around about the same time as the missing 300k wasn’t it🤔🤔🤔

Raidernation
Peter Jackson
Posts: 218
Joined: August 11, 2015, 3:12 pm
Favourite Player: Stuart

Re: Canberra Raiders re-sign Aidan Sezer for two more years

Post by Raidernation » June 16, 2018, 10:29 am

I’d like to see a few games with sezer and Hingano in the halves.

Damoni
Sam Backo
Posts: 182
Joined: March 13, 2010, 11:31 am
Favourite Player: Too Easy

Re: Canberra Raiders re-sign Aidan Sezer for two more years

Post by Damoni » June 16, 2018, 10:35 am

BJ wrote:
Pigman wrote:its interesting to note the money side of it hasnt been leaked... usually that stuff is leaked by managers as advertisement for the deals they've gotten, to help attract other clients

I’m with you on that one Pigman. Managers often spruik these high claims for various reasons.

Then some journalists love to increase the players wage if their from Raiders or Titans or reduce the players wage if their from Broncos or Storm.

The Milford playing for $450k at the Broncos for half of what the Raiders offered took the cake for me.
In regards to that Milford example isn’t funny now how they all acknowledge that Milf is in fact getting paid $1m and deemed overs based on current form.

Outside of 2015 you would probably have to agree. As a side note I still think he would be a better FB.

User avatar
gangrenous
Steve Walters
Posts: 7824
Joined: May 12, 2007, 10:42 pm

Re: Canberra Raiders re-sign Aidan Sezer for two more years

Post by gangrenous » June 16, 2018, 12:20 pm

Raidernation wrote:I’d like to see a few games with sezer and Hingano in the halves.
Why do it to yourself mate?

LastRaider
Clinton Schifcofske
Posts: 572
Joined: March 31, 2018, 9:30 pm

Re: Canberra Raiders re-sign Aidan Sezer for two more years

Post by LastRaider » June 16, 2018, 12:33 pm

yeh raiders wrote:I have the same feelings as I did when we re-signed Josh McCrone.

Even then when some sat back and said “oh it’s on depth coin”, it would further annoy me. We shouldn’t have players like that on our roster, available to be picked in key positions. The fact is neither Sezer or McCrone are/were deserving of playing first grade for us from a certain point in time moving forward. And that’s exactly what the club has to do with players like that ...move forward without them.

This is very disappointing.
That’s why the Roosters, Bronco’s and Storm are successful teams. They don’t hesitate to let players go that are not performing or don’t fit what they need


Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse

User avatar
CJ42
Laurie Daley
Posts: 12550
Joined: April 12, 2011, 5:13 pm

Re: Canberra Raiders re-sign Aidan Sezer for two more years

Post by CJ42 » June 16, 2018, 1:18 pm

Damoni wrote:
BJ wrote:
Pigman wrote:its interesting to note the money side of it hasnt been leaked... usually that stuff is leaked by managers as advertisement for the deals they've gotten, to help attract other clients

I’m with you on that one Pigman. Managers often spruik these high claims for various reasons.

Then some journalists love to increase the players wage if their from Raiders or Titans or reduce the players wage if their from Broncos or Storm.

The Milford playing for $450k at the Broncos for half of what the Raiders offered took the cake for me.
In regards to that Milford example isn’t funny now how they all acknowledge that Milf is in fact getting paid $1m and deemed overs based on current form.

Outside of 2015 you would probably have to agree. As a side note I still think he would be a better FB.
He was good in 2015, I still think his absolute best was for us at fullback!


Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
Image

RedRaider
Gary Belcher
Posts: 6394
Joined: March 3, 2007, 7:02 pm

Re: Canberra Raiders re-sign Aidan Sezer for two more years

Post by RedRaider » June 16, 2018, 1:39 pm

Northern Raider wrote:
June 15, 2018, 3:17 pm
RedRaider wrote:
June 15, 2018, 3:11 pm
Why wouldn't we look to England for possible halves options? As others have said the pickings are slim in Australia and with Cronk and JT about to retire the competition will be hot. Now is the time to get into the England market. We have an England representative in EW who will see first hand in the Test against the Kiwi's, the possibilities.

I wonder why the Club won't shut the door on Austin. I believe in the adage 'No means No'. He has said No twice. Move on.
England might be our only alternative. The biggest concern is the number of sub standard NRL halves who have gone over there and become superstars. Makes you think it’s no different to recruiting halves from state leagues.
I take your point NR, but we have been generally successful with our England recruits (2 out of 3's not bad). We cannot stay with the halves we have. Sezer is reported to have agreed to terms. We have Sam Williams and O'Hagan as a development player, but we are still one short in the halves positions for 2019 imo. I am unaware of the contract situation with the likes of Luke Gale, Danny Richardson or Matt Smith. But I think any would be an upgrade on Austin.

Mr Posh or others from England who frequent this site - your opinion on these three players would be most welcome.

User avatar
-PJ-
Laurie Daley
Posts: 14735
Joined: May 8, 2010, 1:58 pm
Favourite Player: Joseph Tapine
Location: 416.9 km from GIO Stadium

Re: Canberra Raiders re-sign Aidan Sezer for two more years

Post by -PJ- » June 16, 2018, 1:45 pm

Gday all, how is everyone ?

I'm fine.
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:

User avatar
reptar
Laurie Daley
Posts: 13696
Joined: January 25, 2005, 9:24 pm
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson
Location: Brisbane

Re: Canberra Raiders re-sign Aidan Sezer for two more years

Post by reptar » June 16, 2018, 2:04 pm

-PJ- wrote:Gday all, how is everyone ?

I'm fine.
Genkimasu! Arigato!

Nope.
Gina Riley: Oh, come on, John. That’s a bit old hat, the corrupt IOC delegate.
John Clarke: Old hat? Gina, in the scientific world when they see that something is happening again and again and again, repeatedly, they don’t call it old hat. They call it a pattern.

User avatar
greeneyed
Don Furner
Posts: 117747
Joined: January 7, 2005, 4:21 pm

Re: Canberra Raiders re-sign Aidan Sezer for two more years

Post by greeneyed » June 16, 2018, 2:05 pm

Raidernation wrote:
June 16, 2018, 10:29 am
I’d like to see a few games with sezer and Hingano in the halves.
Why?
Image

User avatar
reptar
Laurie Daley
Posts: 13696
Joined: January 25, 2005, 9:24 pm
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson
Location: Brisbane

Re: Canberra Raiders re-sign Aidan Sezer for two more years

Post by reptar » June 16, 2018, 2:07 pm

greeneyed wrote:
Raidernation wrote:
June 16, 2018, 10:29 am
I’d like to see a few games with sezer and Hingano in the halves.
Why?
Hey, lots of people watched Grease 2. It takes all types.
Gina Riley: Oh, come on, John. That’s a bit old hat, the corrupt IOC delegate.
John Clarke: Old hat? Gina, in the scientific world when they see that something is happening again and again and again, repeatedly, they don’t call it old hat. They call it a pattern.

gergreg
Jason Croker
Posts: 4579
Joined: June 24, 2008, 4:22 pm

Re: Canberra Raiders re-sign Aidan Sezer for two more years

Post by gergreg » June 16, 2018, 2:09 pm

RedRaider wrote:
June 16, 2018, 1:39 pm
Northern Raider wrote:
June 15, 2018, 3:17 pm
RedRaider wrote:
June 15, 2018, 3:11 pm
Why wouldn't we look to England for possible halves options? As others have said the pickings are slim in Australia and with Cronk and JT about to retire the competition will be hot. Now is the time to get into the England market. We have an England representative in EW who will see first hand in the Test against the Kiwi's, the possibilities.

I wonder why the Club won't shut the door on Austin. I believe in the adage 'No means No'. He has said No twice. Move on.
England might be our only alternative. The biggest concern is the number of sub standard NRL halves who have gone over there and become superstars. Makes you think it’s no different to recruiting halves from state leagues.
I take your point NR, but we have been generally successful with our England recruits (2 out of 3's not bad). We cannot stay with the halves we have. Sezer is reported to have agreed to terms. We have Sam Williams and O'Hagan as a development player, but we are still one short in the halves positions for 2019 imo. I am unaware of the contract situation with the likes of Luke Gale, Danny Richardson or Matt Smith. But I think any would be an upgrade on Austin.

Mr Posh or others from England who frequent this site - your opinion on these three players would be most welcome.
Throw Hingano in the halves at Mounties and maybe we could develop...... sorry guys, sorry
Raiders Member #4173
Bay 72, Row T, Seat 8

User avatar
-PJ-
Laurie Daley
Posts: 14735
Joined: May 8, 2010, 1:58 pm
Favourite Player: Joseph Tapine
Location: 416.9 km from GIO Stadium

Re: Canberra Raiders re-sign Aidan Sezer for two more years

Post by -PJ- » June 16, 2018, 2:28 pm

reptar wrote:
June 16, 2018, 2:04 pm
-PJ- wrote:Gday all, how is everyone ?

I'm fine.
Genkimasu! Arigato!
I agree.
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:

User avatar
reptar
Laurie Daley
Posts: 13696
Joined: January 25, 2005, 9:24 pm
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson
Location: Brisbane

Re: Canberra Raiders re-sign Aidan Sezer for two more years

Post by reptar » June 16, 2018, 2:50 pm

-PJ- wrote:
June 16, 2018, 2:28 pm
reptar wrote:
June 16, 2018, 2:04 pm
-PJ- wrote:Gday all, how is everyone ?

I'm fine.
Genkimasu! Arigato!
I agree.
私は黒猫を持っています
Gina Riley: Oh, come on, John. That’s a bit old hat, the corrupt IOC delegate.
John Clarke: Old hat? Gina, in the scientific world when they see that something is happening again and again and again, repeatedly, they don’t call it old hat. They call it a pattern.

User avatar
-PJ-
Laurie Daley
Posts: 14735
Joined: May 8, 2010, 1:58 pm
Favourite Player: Joseph Tapine
Location: 416.9 km from GIO Stadium

Re: Canberra Raiders re-sign Aidan Sezer for two more years

Post by -PJ- » June 16, 2018, 2:53 pm

reptar wrote:
June 16, 2018, 2:50 pm
-PJ- wrote:
June 16, 2018, 2:28 pm
reptar wrote:
June 16, 2018, 2:04 pm
-PJ- wrote:Gday all, how is everyone ?

I'm fine.
Genkimasu! Arigato!
I agree.
私は黒猫を持っています
I understand.
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:

User avatar
reptar
Laurie Daley
Posts: 13696
Joined: January 25, 2005, 9:24 pm
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson
Location: Brisbane

Re: Canberra Raiders re-sign Aidan Sezer for two more years

Post by reptar » June 16, 2018, 3:31 pm

-PJ- wrote:
June 16, 2018, 2:53 pm
reptar wrote:
June 16, 2018, 2:50 pm
-PJ- wrote:
June 16, 2018, 2:28 pm
reptar wrote:
June 16, 2018, 2:04 pm
-PJ- wrote:Gday all, how is everyone ?

I'm fine.
Genkimasu! Arigato!
I agree.
私は黒猫を持っています
I understand.
I'm glad you do! And Frank will be especially pleased.
Gina Riley: Oh, come on, John. That’s a bit old hat, the corrupt IOC delegate.
John Clarke: Old hat? Gina, in the scientific world when they see that something is happening again and again and again, repeatedly, they don’t call it old hat. They call it a pattern.

User avatar
Captain Punish
Dean Lance
Posts: 848
Joined: June 24, 2017, 8:47 pm
Favourite Player: Tarps

Re: Canberra Raiders re-sign Aidan Sezer for two more years

Post by Captain Punish » June 16, 2018, 3:45 pm

reptar wrote:
greeneyed wrote:
Raidernation wrote:
June 16, 2018, 10:29 am
I’d like to see a few games with sezer and Hingano in the halves.
Why?
Hey, lots of people watched Grease 2. It takes all types.
I love Grease 2.

That movie alone is responsible for my Michelle Pfieffer obsession.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk


User avatar
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Posts: 20917
Joined: March 17, 2007, 12:24 pm
Favourite Player: Bay56

Re: Canberra Raiders re-sign Aidan Sezer for two more years

Post by Seiffert82 » June 16, 2018, 10:20 pm

I'm good with this extension. Austin has to go however.

User avatar
Love4Noa
Chris O'Sullivan
Posts: 961
Joined: April 23, 2008, 1:50 pm

Re: Canberra Raiders re-sign Aidan Sezer for two more years

Post by Love4Noa » June 16, 2018, 10:22 pm

Of the two halves we currently have - one is capable of breaking a game open and threatening the defensive line.

The other one we just signed for 2 years and I simply don't understand it.

Stupid. Stupid. Stupid.

User avatar
Pigman
Mal Meninga
Posts: 21307
Joined: June 18, 2013, 4:31 pm
Favourite Player: Nick Cotric

Re: Canberra Raiders re-sign Aidan Sezer for two more years

Post by Pigman » June 16, 2018, 10:34 pm

The one capable of breaking a game open and threatening the defensive line has spent almost NO time threatening opposition defensive lines and ALL his **** time demoralising our defensive line in the past 18 months. He's cost us WAAAAY more tries than he's created or scored.

So enough.

Let's all stop pretending either of these guys are worth planting a flag in the ground for.
The List - K.Love, Keno, Zippy's tennis angels, LA Lakers, Noah, Boozer, Lucy's horse tips, Colts, Lucy, Kevin Proctor, Dr Zaius, TR, Tinfoil hatted Gangers & Woody, anyone in Raiders HQ who can point to QBN on a map....

Prepare the cannon!

User avatar
Archer
David Furner
Posts: 3637
Joined: September 3, 2012, 12:46 pm
Favourite Player: Boxhead

Re: Canberra Raiders re-sign Aidan Sezer for two more years

Post by Archer » June 17, 2018, 3:35 am

Pigman wrote:
June 16, 2018, 10:34 pm
Let's all stop pretending either of these guys are worth planting a flag in the ground for.
Excuse me? Only one of these guys gives afhsgsndb more discomfort than hemorrhoids and for that reason alone he earns my flag.

User avatar
Raider Azz
David Furner
Posts: 3958
Joined: January 7, 2005, 10:22 pm

Re: Canberra Raiders re-sign Aidan Sezer for two more years

Post by Raider Azz » June 17, 2018, 10:38 am

Archer wrote:
June 17, 2018, 3:35 am
Pigman wrote:
June 16, 2018, 10:34 pm
Let's all stop pretending either of these guys are worth planting a flag in the ground for.
Excuse me? Only one of these guys gives afhsgsndb more discomfort than hemorrhoids and for that reason alone he earns my flag.
+1

Post Reply