Raiders Scouting Thread

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

User avatar
Timbo
John Ferguson
Posts: 2749
Joined: January 6, 2005, 9:42 pm
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson
Location: Here

Re: Raiders Scouting Thread

Post by Timbo » September 4, 2018, 10:41 am

julian87 wrote:
September 4, 2018, 10:11 am
I’m still convinced a solid/strong stop gap at five-eighth could work with the current squad. Good defense, willing to run and play direct and they’re essentially going to be #4 playmaker anyway. And that’s not even touching on the on the roles Whitehead and the right edge can play.

Our best points of attack are Hodgson and Wighton from fullback. Sezer as the main kicker and we can’t pretend Austin ever offered much ball play even at his peak for us.
It's also why I wouldn't mind a solid fullback either. Move Wighton to #6 who plays as a second fullback in attack and defends in the line - essentially as a version of Austin who defends better.
Sometimes the light at the end of the tunnel is just the train that's about to hit you.

User avatar
Matt
Don Furner
Posts: 30451
Joined: May 18, 2010, 4:17 pm
Favourite Player: Wighton, Croker, Hodgson, Cotric
Location: Canberra

Re: Raiders Scouting Thread

Post by Matt » September 4, 2018, 11:47 am

Timbo wrote:
September 4, 2018, 10:41 am
julian87 wrote:
September 4, 2018, 10:11 am
I’m still convinced a solid/strong stop gap at five-eighth could work with the current squad. Good defense, willing to run and play direct and they’re essentially going to be #4 playmaker anyway. And that’s not even touching on the on the roles Whitehead and the right edge can play.

Our best points of attack are Hodgson and Wighton from fullback. Sezer as the main kicker and we can’t pretend Austin ever offered much ball play even at his peak for us.
It's also why I wouldn't mind a solid fullback either. Move Wighton to #6 who plays as a second fullback in attack and defends in the line - essentially as a version of Austin who defends better.
These appear to be the 2 main thought processes by fans and Ricky TBH.
Im not convinced that Sammy and Sezer wont work though. I thought Sammy had a pretty good year, and he certainly finished the yr strong.

ALX22
Glenn Lazarus
Posts: 319
Joined: January 21, 2016, 11:55 am
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Re: Raiders Scouting Thread

Post by ALX22 » September 13, 2018, 11:55 pm

Chudleigh released by the Cowboys. Would be a cheap option as a backup hooker?

User avatar
greeneyed
Don Furner
Posts: 120429
Joined: January 7, 2005, 4:21 pm

Re: Raiders Scouting Thread

Post by greeneyed » September 14, 2018, 7:04 am

Another player struck by the ACL curse, dynamic hooker Josh Chudleigh was never able to add to his one NRL game.

A former Queensland Cup Player of the Year, Chudleigh tragically suffered repeated knee injuries over the last three seasons.

https://www.cowboys.com.au/news/2018/09 ... g-players/

Not given this.
Image

User avatar
julian87
Laurie Daley
Posts: 10768
Joined: October 20, 2005, 3:35 pm

Re: Raiders Scouting Thread

Post by julian87 » September 14, 2018, 7:33 am

ALX22 wrote:
September 13, 2018, 11:55 pm
Chudleigh released by the Cowboys. Would be a cheap option as a backup hooker?
Didn’t we already sign back Baptiste?
well, I guess you could say that I'm buy curious.

User avatar
greeneyed
Don Furner
Posts: 120429
Joined: January 7, 2005, 4:21 pm

Re: Raiders Scouting Thread

Post by greeneyed » September 14, 2018, 7:51 am

julian87 wrote:
September 14, 2018, 7:33 am
ALX22 wrote:
September 13, 2018, 11:55 pm
Chudleigh released by the Cowboys. Would be a cheap option as a backup hooker?
Didn’t we already sign back Baptiste?
As it turns out, no.
Image

User avatar
julian87
Laurie Daley
Posts: 10768
Joined: October 20, 2005, 3:35 pm

Re: Raiders Scouting Thread

Post by julian87 » September 14, 2018, 11:04 am

greeneyed wrote:
September 14, 2018, 7:51 am
julian87 wrote:
September 14, 2018, 7:33 am
ALX22 wrote:
September 13, 2018, 11:55 pm
Chudleigh released by the Cowboys. Would be a cheap option as a backup hooker?
Didn’t we already sign back Baptiste?
As it turns out, no.
Good.
well, I guess you could say that I'm buy curious.

User avatar
-TW-
Mal Meninga
Posts: 29058
Joined: July 2, 2007, 11:41 am

Re: Raiders Scouting Thread

Post by -TW- » September 14, 2018, 12:08 pm

That would have been up there in terms of dumb decisions the club has made

I think Havili exceeded expectations so they didn't proceed

User avatar
Matt
Don Furner
Posts: 30451
Joined: May 18, 2010, 4:17 pm
Favourite Player: Wighton, Croker, Hodgson, Cotric
Location: Canberra

Re: Raiders Scouting Thread

Post by Matt » September 14, 2018, 12:25 pm

ALX22 wrote:
September 13, 2018, 11:55 pm
Chudleigh released by the Cowboys. Would be a cheap option as a backup hooker?
As a #3 or #4 option, esp given he is a local kid, probably not a bad option TBH. However, a couple of serious knee injuries is of concern.

User avatar
Matt
Don Furner
Posts: 30451
Joined: May 18, 2010, 4:17 pm
Favourite Player: Wighton, Croker, Hodgson, Cotric
Location: Canberra

Re: Raiders Scouting Thread

Post by Matt » September 18, 2018, 12:34 pm

No surprises, but Cleary has inked a mega deal to stay at Penrith

User avatar
Matt
Don Furner
Posts: 30451
Joined: May 18, 2010, 4:17 pm
Favourite Player: Wighton, Croker, Hodgson, Cotric
Location: Canberra

Re: Raiders Scouting Thread

Post by Matt » September 18, 2018, 12:36 pm

ALX22 wrote:
September 13, 2018, 11:55 pm
Chudleigh released by the Cowboys. Would be a cheap option as a backup hooker?
Knights trying to poach Luke.
Would you look at Levi?
Or even Griffin after ACL reconstruction 1000?

ALX22
Glenn Lazarus
Posts: 319
Joined: January 21, 2016, 11:55 am
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Re: Raiders Scouting Thread

Post by ALX22 » September 18, 2018, 1:32 pm

Matt wrote:
September 18, 2018, 12:36 pm
ALX22 wrote:
September 13, 2018, 11:55 pm
Chudleigh released by the Cowboys. Would be a cheap option as a backup hooker?
Knights trying to poach Luke.
Would you look at Levi?
Or even Griffin after ACL reconstruction 1000?
Maybe Tapine can convince Levi to leave Newie? Otherwise Cam King could be an option.

Pass on Griffin, poor guy can't catch a break with serious injuries.

User avatar
Matt
Don Furner
Posts: 30451
Joined: May 18, 2010, 4:17 pm
Favourite Player: Wighton, Croker, Hodgson, Cotric
Location: Canberra

Re: Raiders Scouting Thread

Post by Matt » September 18, 2018, 2:00 pm

ALX22 wrote:
September 18, 2018, 1:32 pm
Matt wrote:
September 18, 2018, 12:36 pm
ALX22 wrote:
September 13, 2018, 11:55 pm
Chudleigh released by the Cowboys. Would be a cheap option as a backup hooker?
Knights trying to poach Luke.
Would you look at Levi?
Or even Griffin after ACL reconstruction 1000?
Maybe Tapine can convince Levi to leave Newie? Otherwise Cam King could be an option.

Pass on Griffin, poor guy can't catch a break with serious injuries.
I agree.

User avatar
Matt
Don Furner
Posts: 30451
Joined: May 18, 2010, 4:17 pm
Favourite Player: Wighton, Croker, Hodgson, Cotric
Location: Canberra

Re: Raiders Scouting Thread

Post by Matt » October 11, 2018, 8:45 am

Looks like Ken Sio would be only worth a touch over min wage. He is good enough as depth.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... 9f484564a9

User avatar
Dusty
Jason Croker
Posts: 4254
Joined: December 21, 2009, 12:25 pm
Favourite Player: Past:Daley
Present: Hodgson

Re: Raiders Scouting Thread

Post by Dusty » October 11, 2018, 8:56 am

I’d be happy if we picked up Ken Sio as a depth signing.

To have outside back depth of
Starters: Wighton, Cotric, Croker, Leilua, Rapana
Depth: Abbey, Oldfield, Kris, Sio


Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse
2019: 1. Wighton 2. Cotric 3. Croker 4 Leilua 5. Rapana 6. Williams 7. Sezer 8. Sutton 9. Hodgson 10. Papalii 11. Tapine 12. Whitehead 13. J.Bateman ----
14. Havili 15. Soliola 16. Guler 17. Knight/Lui

Concentrate on the process and the result will take care of itself...

Post Reply