Raiders Scouting Thread

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

User avatar
Matt
Don Furner
Posts: 29798
Joined: May 18, 2010, 4:17 pm
Favourite Player: Wighton, Croker, Hodgson, Cotric
Location: Canberra

Re: Raiders Scouting Thread

Post by Matt » July 9, 2018, 2:40 pm

RTW wrote:
July 9, 2018, 2:36 pm
Matt wrote:
zim wrote:
July 9, 2018, 2:12 pm
He's also signed up with the Titans for another 2 years (2020).
Well there you go, I missed that.
While we are at it Marsters has extended until end of 2020 for Tigers as well.
TBH, I knew Tigz weren't letting him go. Esp as a Kiwi rep. I didn't look that hard for him.

With you guys all looking so hard, ill have to up my contracts game :P

User avatar
RTW
David Furner
Posts: 3118
Joined: July 29, 2008, 7:05 pm
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley
Location: Brisbane

Re: Raiders Scouting Thread

Post by RTW » July 9, 2018, 2:55 pm

Matt wrote:
RTW wrote:
July 9, 2018, 2:36 pm
Matt wrote:
zim wrote:
July 9, 2018, 2:12 pm
He's also signed up with the Titans for another 2 years (2020).
Well there you go, I missed that.
While we are at it Marsters has extended until end of 2020 for Tigers as well.
TBH, I knew Tigz weren't letting him go. Esp as a Kiwi rep. I didn't look that hard for him.

With you guys all looking so hard, ill have to up my contracts game :P

Looking up contracts is a good way to avoid thinking about Stuart’s coaching. On that what positions do you have left to review and will you do a coaching staff review including assistants and Strength conditioning....The off season has come early!

User avatar
Matt
Don Furner
Posts: 29798
Joined: May 18, 2010, 4:17 pm
Favourite Player: Wighton, Croker, Hodgson, Cotric
Location: Canberra

Re: Raiders Scouting Thread

Post by Matt » July 9, 2018, 3:13 pm

RTW wrote:
July 9, 2018, 2:55 pm
Matt wrote:
RTW wrote:
July 9, 2018, 2:36 pm
Matt wrote:
zim wrote:
July 9, 2018, 2:12 pm
He's also signed up with the Titans for another 2 years (2020).
Well there you go, I missed that.
While we are at it Marsters has extended until end of 2020 for Tigers as well.
TBH, I knew Tigz weren't letting him go. Esp as a Kiwi rep. I didn't look that hard for him.

With you guys all looking so hard, ill have to up my contracts game :P

Looking up contracts is a good way to avoid thinking about Stuart’s coaching. On that what positions do you have left to review and will you do a coaching staff review including assistants and Strength conditioning....The off season has come early!
Wing and Fullback.
Ill probably post something about the bench too, but it needs to be worked out via the positions. So not sure how that will work.
As for coaches, that's a little trickier, but ill see what I can do.

User avatar
Matt
Don Furner
Posts: 29798
Joined: May 18, 2010, 4:17 pm
Favourite Player: Wighton, Croker, Hodgson, Cotric
Location: Canberra

Re: Raiders Scouting Thread

Post by Matt » July 15, 2018, 12:40 pm

An interesting side article on 5th tackle.

Read the article: https://www.5thtackle.com/2018/07/14/nr ... in-2019/4/

Here are my thoughts:

Bird is probably the worst buy of the yr. Pass.

Eastwood has health issues. Pass

Havili is likely to be re-signed, which is a great move.

We dont need another hooker, so Seggy is a Pass.

Elegy is not better than the halves options we have, and is yet another defensive liability. Pass.

Tapau is certainly someone we should chase, and chase hard. My #1 player on this list. BUY BUY BUY

Croft is another we should chase. We need another half. I cant see the Storm letting him go TBH, but he is a real talent. He is my 2nd favorite on this list. BUY BUY

Lamb was linked to us for a while, not sure what happened, but his form this yr hasn't been as good as last yr. We need a half, but im not liking him as much as I did when the season started. Pass.

Gela-Mosby, speed to burn, love it. Cowboys have missed a trick not using him this yr. I liked the Mociendreci buy from Souths, but he ended up at Mounties only, GGM is better. However, he has had a drivers license indiscretion this yr. We need another outside back, as depth if nothing else. BUY

G Jennings is probably the worst of the brothers, but has shown he is up to NRL standard. I think we are an outside back short, and he would be great depth. He will want regular NRL though, so while i say BUY, is suspect he wont come.

Phillips looks a very good depth option. Borderline starter. As stated we need another outside back, he could be it. Panthers cant keep everyone, and they are bringing Malaki Watene-Zeleniek (spelling) back. BUY

Allgood has been around a while and always been depth. Not good enough. Pass.

Hunt has been very good for the Bunnies. Can play centre or wing. Fantastic depth, but like Jennings, will probably want regular NRL. Id say BUY, but not sure he would come.

Baptiste looks like he will replace Garvey as our 3rd hooker at the club. BUY

Ayshford is a plodder. Has been for years. Pass

Gamble has had big wraps on him for a couple of years. Injury and NRL experienced players ahead of him have kept him out. He might be worth the gamble... Pass.

LastRaider
David Grant
Posts: 708
Joined: March 31, 2018, 9:30 pm

Raiders Scouting Thread

Post by LastRaider » July 15, 2018, 6:29 pm

Matt wrote:An interesting side article on 5th tackle.

Read the article: https://www.5thtackle.com/2018/07/14/nr ... in-2019/4/

Here are my thoughts:

Bird is probably the worst buy of the yr. Pass.

Eastwood has health issues. Pass

Havili is likely to be re-signed, which is a great move.

We dont need another hooker, so Seggy is a Pass.

Elegy is not better than the halves options we have, and is yet another defensive liability. Pass.

Tapau is certainly someone we should chase, and chase hard. My #1 player on this list. BUY BUY BUY

Croft is another we should chase. We need another half. I cant see the Storm letting him go TBH, but he is a real talent. He is my 2nd favorite on this list. BUY BUY

Lamb was linked to us for a while, not sure what happened, but his form this yr hasn't been as good as last yr. We need a half, but im not liking him as much as I did when the season started. Pass.

Gela-Mosby, speed to burn, love it. Cowboys have missed a trick not using him this yr. I liked the Mociendreci buy from Souths, but he ended up at Mounties only, GGM is better. However, he has had a drivers license indiscretion this yr. We need another outside back, as depth if nothing else. BUY

G Jennings is probably the worst of the brothers, but has shown he is up to NRL standard. I think we are an outside back short, and he would be great depth. He will want regular NRL though, so while i say BUY, is suspect he wont come.

Phillips looks a very good depth option. Borderline starter. As stated we need another outside back, he could be it. Panthers cant keep everyone, and they are bringing Malaki Watene-Zeleniek (spelling) back. BUY

Allgood has been around a while and always been depth. Not good enough. Pass.

Hunt has been very good for the Bunnies. Can play centre or wing. Fantastic depth, but like Jennings, will probably want regular NRL. Id say BUY, but not sure he would come.

Baptiste looks like he will replace Garvey as our 3rd hooker at the club. BUY

Ayshford is a plodder. Has been for years. Pass

Gamble has had big wraps on him for a couple of years. Injury and NRL experienced players ahead of him have kept him out. He might be worth the gamble... Pass.
I’m really warming to Brodie Croft. I liked his game against Brisbane the other day. He has the ability to put players into hole or into space, something which Sezar lacks. Sezar and Croft would be good for the Raiders to work off to then bring in a more dynamic running half once Sezar’s contract expires.

As for Taupau, I’m with you. Buy buy buy buy, throw the cheque book at him and develop one of our junior players to play along side him. Someone like knight might grow a leg when playing along side him.


Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse

User avatar
chris83
Chris O'Sullivan
Posts: 959
Joined: July 18, 2011, 9:44 am
Favourite Player: Sia, hodgo, all of the magnificent b**tards!!!
Location: in the crawlspace

Re: Raiders Scouting Thread

Post by chris83 » July 15, 2018, 7:53 pm

We have no money so i wouldn't be getting my hopes up
I've got legs, and i know how to use them

User avatar
zim
Ruben Wiki
Posts: 5548
Joined: July 8, 2015, 3:38 pm
Favourite Player: Past: Brett Mullins
Present: Elliot Whitehead
Location: Sydney

Re: Raiders Scouting Thread

Post by zim » July 16, 2018, 11:04 am

Gela-Mosby is a liability off the field (the reason he has not been used this year). Big pass.

User avatar
Matt
Don Furner
Posts: 29798
Joined: May 18, 2010, 4:17 pm
Favourite Player: Wighton, Croker, Hodgson, Cotric
Location: Canberra

Re: Raiders Scouting Thread

Post by Matt » July 16, 2018, 2:16 pm

zim wrote:
July 16, 2018, 11:04 am
Gela-Mosby is a liability off the field (the reason he has not been used this year). Big pass.
I've only heard about the drivers licence, but not surprised mate.

User avatar
zim
Ruben Wiki
Posts: 5548
Joined: July 8, 2015, 3:38 pm
Favourite Player: Past: Brett Mullins
Present: Elliot Whitehead
Location: Sydney

Re: Raiders Scouting Thread

Post by zim » July 16, 2018, 2:27 pm

Matt wrote:
July 16, 2018, 2:16 pm
zim wrote:
July 16, 2018, 11:04 am
Gela-Mosby is a liability off the field (the reason he has not been used this year). Big pass.
I've only heard about the drivers licence, but not surprised mate.
I can't quote anything official to back it up. It's not end of the world stuff but there's enough there to know his head is not in the right place to be moving to canberra as an untested rookie.

ALX22
Peter Jackson
Posts: 296
Joined: January 21, 2016, 11:55 am
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Re: Raiders Scouting Thread

Post by ALX22 » July 16, 2018, 6:28 pm

zim wrote:
July 16, 2018, 2:27 pm
Matt wrote:
July 16, 2018, 2:16 pm
zim wrote:
July 16, 2018, 11:04 am
Gela-Mosby is a liability off the field (the reason he has not been used this year). Big pass.
I've only heard about the drivers licence, but not surprised mate.
I can't quote anything official to back it up. It's not end of the world stuff but there's enough there to know his head is not in the right place to be moving to canberra as an untested rookie.
Agreed, clearly won't be moving anywhere South in the near future. Needs a mentor (M.Bowen hello) first, and some help with alcohol related issues.

magoo
Clinton Schifcofske
Posts: 582
Joined: March 9, 2015, 12:19 pm
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead
Location: maroochydore

Re: Raiders Scouting Thread

Post by magoo » July 22, 2018, 9:31 am

Was annoyed watching pangai Jr kill it for the broncos Fri night, knowing we chose Bateman over him.

User avatar
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Posts: 20968
Joined: March 17, 2007, 12:24 pm
Favourite Player: Bay56

Re: Raiders Scouting Thread

Post by Seiffert82 » July 22, 2018, 9:47 am

Not sure that was actually a choice magoo.

User avatar
edwahu
Laurie Daley
Posts: 15873
Joined: January 13, 2005, 5:22 pm

Re: Raiders Scouting Thread

Post by edwahu » July 22, 2018, 9:53 am

It was. TPJ was inexplicably behind Bateman in the queue.

TPJ doesn't strike me as the kind of bloke we would've kept past his first contract though. Probably better we got it out of the way early.

Old School Green
Ken Nagas
Posts: 138
Joined: May 9, 2007, 11:20 am

Re: Raiders Scouting Thread

Post by Old School Green » July 22, 2018, 10:32 am

TPJ was never staying here. Was always a launching pad for him. The circumstances around his departure to the Broncos show that in his mind he knew where he wanted to be all along..
87, 89, 90, 91, 94
I was there. Go the green !!

Post Reply