Post by LP Raider »

In times like these I miss Pig.
WorkChoice
Brew
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: Blake Austin

Re: Wooden spoon favourites

Post by Brew »

LP Raider wrote:In times like these I miss Pig.
What happened to him? He got banned?

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
In Ricky We Trust
Finchy
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Ata Mariota

Post by Finchy »

Brew wrote: April 3, 2018, 6:47 pm

He's dead.
Ata Mariota’s #1 fan. Bless his cotton socks.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

Brew wrote:

Over zealous moderation, like so many others before him.

The final straw was when he had a post deleted, even though two other admins had already seen the post and deemed it ok

It’s almost as ludicrous as arbitrarily deciding joking about firing someone out of a cannon somehow breaks forum guidelines
LP Raider
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Master Bateman

Post by LP Raider »

Miss Piggy swallowed him up in my V, Jay Jay.
WorkChoice
Schifty
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson

Post by Schifty »

Brew wrote: April 3, 2018, 6:47 pm

Deported. :(
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

The Nickman wrote: April 3, 2018, 6:58 pm
Brew wrote:

Over zealous moderation, like so many others before him.

The final straw was when he had a post deleted, even though two other admins had already seen the post and deemed it ok

It’s almost as ludicrous as arbitrarily deciding joking about firing someone out of a cannon somehow breaks forum guidelines
It wasn't overzealous moderation. We had a complaint from another poster, because his young daughters were brought into a debate in a way that poster thought distasteful and inappropriate. And asked for the post to be deleted. And the moderation team agreed.

If you ever cared to ask me, via PM, as to why your posts get moderated, I'll explain via PM.

The forum guidelines provide for complaints about moderation to be resolved via PM. You can complain to any moderator... if you don't think I will deal with your complaint appropriately.

I'm responding to this publicly, as you continue to make posts like these, in breach of the forum guidelines. And the bottom line is people need to consider the interests of the broader forum community... before they get on their high horses about moderation.

In any case, that's the end of the public discussion of the moderation, thanks. Any future posts you make about it will be deleted, consistent with the forum guidelines... as no one wants to read posts about moderation.
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

Surely continually being childish about it is a much better option. It's certainly more entertaining.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

greeneyed wrote: April 3, 2018, 7:52 pm It wasn't overzealous moderation. We had a complaint from another poster, because his young daughters were brought into a debate in a way that poster thought distasteful and inappropriate. And asked for the post to be deleted. And the moderation team agreed.
To be perfectly clear about what happened here, let me explain.

A poster engaged in victim blaming and made a number of misogynistic and disrespectful comments about the VICTIM of an alleged sexual assault. In the course of the debate which stemmed from those comments, i proposed a HYPOTHETICAL to this poster which asked how he would feel if one of his daughters was the victim of an assault and some random guy on the internet was speaking about them in the terms he was using about this young lady. I realise this is a confronting thing to think about but given we’re all adults here (or 13+ as the guidelines stipulate) I would hope we’re all mature enough to handle such things.

The hypothetical posed to this poster included my own daughter, and the reason for that is he has 2, i have 1. That's 3 between us and statistically speaking one of our little girls will unfortunately have experience in the realm of physical/sexual/emotional abuse. That's just the facts. 1 in 3 women are affected by these issues. The poster in question became overly emotional and irate that i dared to put this situation into a context that might hit a little closer to home. I suspect this hit a little home and he quickly realised he’d want to tear the **** throat out of the scumbag speaking about his daughter in the way he was about this girl. But that is entirely the point that men need to change their behaviour, their verbiage around how we treat and speak about VICTIMS in such cases and the best way to change that behaviour is to view it in prisms of the women in our own lives that matter. Our mothers, aunties, sisters, wives and yes, even daughters. The old “treat people who you would like to be treated” rings true… treat victims of violence the same way you’d like your loved ones to be treated. Put yourself in their shoes and consider how victim blaming from men impacts what is a major issue in society right now.

The poster complained and Greeneyed, applying not the forum guidelines by his own conservative standard, elected to edit the post. It should be noted that the post was seen by 3 other administrators (Matt, Dubby and T_R). No action was taken, 2 of those were asked DIRECTLY about their views on both agreed the hypothetical was fair, valid and crossed no guidelines, one of those 2 is notoriously conservative, publically stated he saw no issue. The post was seen by multiple other moderators. No action was taken. So the idea that the moderation team agreed is false. If they agreed, action would have been taken in a 6 days prior to the edit being made. If moderation team agreed, it is simply a function of Greeneyed having an issue with it, and his standing within the moderation/administration team meaning others are too meek to disagree or challenge him on this sort of thing. If this was not a case of one person pulling rank, I’d love to know why it took nearly a week for someone to act.

Now in fairness to Greeneyed, I’ll say this: He deserves to have that rank. He has stumped this forum up since its inception both physically with the work he puts in to post and create content, to manage the site day to day and to deal with the various personalities. A task I know is not always easy, and is time consuming. Also financially, for many years he literally paid for the site, I have no idea where things are at financially now but when I left the administration group, the site was on its way to being self-sufficient. Greeneyed should be commended always for his immense contributions to this forum, put bluntly, it would not exist without him.

BUT that does not give him the right to apply his own personal conduct and standards to the wider community. This was a “final straw” of an on-going disagreement I’ve had with the direction of the site for a few years now. Part of this includes the ridiculous style of dealing with these matters publically where Greeneyed, ALWAYS demands to have the last PUBLIC say, shoe horning in his own shots and denying a public retort. I’m certain this post will be deleted (a number of times) by the moderation team at his behest to maintain this face saving policy. It was in-acted essentially because the moderators and administrators were tired of being called out for their level of control over the community. The answer is not to supress that criticism, the answer is to correct the course.

In the last 2-3 years this forum has been PLAGUED by overly conservative moderation, and as a direct result many quality contributors (many of which drove content, discussion and traffic) have decided to leave. Which is a damn shame, because one of this forum’s core principles WAS to moderate only when necessary and to allow free flowing debate. This is not a house of parliament, the intention was never to create some genteel, watered down version of people’s opinions to save the feelings of players, coaches, administrators at the club, or other fans. This core principle no longer appears to be part of the fabric of the Greenhouse and thus it is no longer the site I and others established it to be. And because of that, I decided to join those in exile. And will return there after I post this (and re-post it if needed)… by exile I mean making positive contributions, my lifelong commitment to **** all over Matt’s Match-Ups continues unabated.

This season has been tough to sit out on, because boy have I got some views on this current Raiders situation, most of those views centre around where in Garema Place the cannon should be set up to ensure the entire Canberra community can safely see a variety of administrators, coaches and players be shot out of. My hope is that the administrators take a step or two back and let the community drive the site again.
Timbo
David Furner
Favourite Player: Hudson Young

Post by Timbo »

Sossman wrote: April 3, 2018, 3:31 pm Looking forward to our "perfect season" parade when we go 0-24.
It's literally the one thing I get to hold over my Roosters-supporting mates. Don't even joke about that.
Sometimes the light at the end of the tunnel is just the train that's about to hit you.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

@Pigman Unfortunately, your post misrepresents what happened. Certainly a number of moderators saw your post and did not edit it. I saw it and did not edit it. However we then received a complaint from another poster. That poster did not wish to have his children involved in an internet debate. And we then did the right thing, and deleted the post he was complaining about. I believed it was the decent thing to do... many people find that bringing family members into an internet debate is crossing a line. The other moderators agreed with the decision.

On the issue of shooting people out of cannons. I'm leaving that up... simply so I can explain this. I have no doubt another poster is and you are joking in these references. But I don't believe we want to be a forum where people are (repeatedly) wishing for something like that. It is over the top criticism and the criticism can easily be made without that remark.

The forum is not constraining people from making critical comments. You'll have seen a raft of criticisms of what is happening at the Raiders right now. There's a multitude of threads to that effect. We've established a good relationship with the club after some rocky times in the past. You'll no doubt recall a meeting in a tram at Dickson Tradies in the final days of Neil Henry... and that is why we eliminated swearing and sought to ensure that criticisms are not over the top. But that doesn't stop anyone from making critical comments.

I note that if there is a column that we promote on our other social media platforms... I'm even more careful to ensure that the content is balanced. We aim to do that on The Greenhouse Live on Facebook as well. But that is a different thing to people posting their personal views on the site. Don't swear, don't wish injury on anyone, you'll be pretty much right... and it is rare that any comment is edited.

I hope that's the last on the moderation... because people get sick of debates over moderation. They'd much rather read posts about the footy.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Hahahahahaha shooting someone out of a cannon is a reference to shooting clowns out of a cannon at the circus!!

Did you genuinely think it meant a violent act?? Good grief, you’ve lost the plot in your attempt to keep the club “on side”!

And how did that work out for you? You’ve already complained about Stuart’s opinion of the fans...

Fact of the matter is, fans like you and I pay literally thousands of dollars a year to see this team. Without us, these players wouldn’t have these lucrative high-paying jobs.

Hahahaha I still can’t believe you thought the cannon thing was a violent reference. You’re priceless, Fergus
Dibbers
Chris O'Sullivan
Favourite Player: Brad Clyde

Post by Dibbers »

Maybe Nickman should complete the cannon thing and not stop short...

"Fire him out of a cannon, threw a couple of buildings only to land comfortable in a pillow factory.... before its demolished..."

I found a moon rock in my nose....
T_R
Don Furner

Nick and Nick's rant page

Post by T_R »

Just a new thread for Cannon conversations.

As soon as I can work out how to move posts here, of course.

EDIT: Hey! I did it! Achievement Unlocked!

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
hrundi89
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Jarrod Croker

Post by hrundi89 »

I wasn't aware of Pigman's exile. Disappointing to hear as his contributions, and Nickman's humorous observations, are chief amongst the content I like most about this site.

I know Pigman quite well and I've met Nickman (at Shark Park) and they are good and decent people who's opinions, as long-term Raiders fans, are entirely relevant.

The humour inherent in their posts is somewhat of an elixir in these troubling times as a Raiders supporter.

I April Fools'd (I know that's not a thing but I've done it anyway) the idea that I was dropping the Raiders for Manly (after 36 years), and I got a depressing number of likes on both Instagram and Facebook (including my Dad). They may have been liking the joke of course, but...
You may remember me from such forum usernames as hrundi99 and... hrundi99.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Re: Nick and Nick's rant page

Post by The Nickman »

Hey hrundi, good to see you, I (very, very vaguely) remember meeting you at Shark Park. I think that was my world famous Greenhouse Live appearance (for some reason I’ve never been invited back, I think it was because Brew was so disgustingly drunk)

I have to say, I’ve never felt lower as a Raiders fan, not even in the Dugan and Ferguson days, and I guess it shows with my posting style of late. It just feels like everything is wrong with the culture of the club, all the players want out and hate each other and it’s gone EXACTLY to the Ricky Stuart script

Absolutely everything he’s done at every other club has been repeated here to a tee. All that’s left is for the team to win the spoon and the players to all leave and he’s fulfilled his destiny as the Destroyer of Clubs
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

I like Pigman's posts, too, though for the record (and I told him at the time) I thought that using other people's kids as a reference was a little bit of a bridge too far.

And while I am not desperately keen to get involved in the discussion, I really need to correct one comment of Pigman's also for the record; In the many wasted years I've been on this site (God love ya's all), GE has never on any occasion directed, requested, suggested, hinted or otherwise that a post regarding his views or his moderation be deleted. If anything, he bends over backwards to be seen to be reasonable and fair at all times - far more so than I would be in his shoes. The suggestion that a post would be deleted at his 'behest' is not worthy of you, Pigman.

Finally for the record, I am delighted to see our man Pigman posting again, and I hope he continues to do so. The forum is better for his views, despite him being mostly wrong about things.

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

The actual thought of firing someone out of a cannon ( Ricky, Nickman, Fergus) actually makes me laugh. I ALWAYS think of Luke Perry
The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

T_R wrote:I like Pigman's posts, too, though for the record (and I told him at the time) I thought that using other people's kids as a reference was a little bit of a bridge too far.

And while I am not desperately keen to get involved in the discussion, I really need to correct one comment of Pigman's also for the record; In the many wasted years I've been on this site (God love ya's all), GE has never on any occasion directed, requested, suggested, hinted or otherwise that a post regarding his views or his moderation be deleted. If anything, he bends over backwards to be seen to be reasonable and fair at all times - far more so than I would be in his shoes. The suggestion that a post would be deleted at his 'behest' is not worthy of you, Pigman.

Finally for the record, I am delighted to see our man Pigman posting again, and I hope he continues to do so. The forum is better for his views, despite him being mostly wrong about things.
To be fair though, I remember the discussion like it was yesterday (and I have a photographic memory) and at the time dubby said something along the lines of “I’ve reviewed that post and there’s nothing wrong with it” and I’m pretty sure you yourself saw it, as you were posting at the time too.

And we all know dubby is my favourite mod and I hold his opinion on most things in the highest regard. So if dubs thought the post was ok, then... ah screw it, no wonder you got deleted you stupid pig

It’s the Manbush Theory all over again
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

The Nickman wrote: April 5, 2018, 10:43 am
T_R wrote:I like Pigman's posts, too, though for the record (and I told him at the time) I thought that using other people's kids as a reference was a little bit of a bridge too far.

To be fair though, I remember the discussion like it was yesterday (and I have a photographic memory) and at the time dubby said something along the lines of “I’ve reviewed that post and there’s nothing wrong with it” and I’m pretty sure you yourself saw it, as you were posting at the time too.

And we all know dubby is my favourite mod and I hold his opinion on most things in the highest regard. So if dubs thought the post was ok, then... ah screw it, no wonder you got deleted you stupid pig

It’s the Manbush Theory all over again
Absolutely. I definitely did see it and chose not to delete.

Pigman and I discussed outside the forum and I suggested it be deleted as it had caused offence, that's all.

The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

The post was absolutely not offensive though. The reason the poster in question was offended was because it challenged his own views on the topic, NOT because anything offensive was said

People tend to respond with anger when their point of view is challenged, rather than conceding “oh crap, you’re right, I never looked at it this way”

And that’s exactly what happened here
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

The Nickman wrote: April 5, 2018, 10:52 am The post was absolutely not offensive though. The reason the poster in question was offended was because it challenged his own views on the topic, NOT because anything offensive was said

People tend to respond with anger when their point of view is challenged, rather than conceding “oh crap, you’re right, I never looked at it this way”

And that’s exactly what happened here
I don't have a strong view on that except that people tend to react strongly when you bring their kids into it, and I understand that.

Not my kids, of course - they're awful. But you know, nice kids.

Lucy
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Tarps

Post by Lucy »

Let's recap it for all those serving bans at the time.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

Hang on... careful here TR... i still have those PM's and your position was indeed made quite clear
Pigman wrote:Honestly question, do you feel my remarks in that discussion were out of line or not within the guidelines of the forum?
That was my direct question to you privately.
And you answered it. I'm not going to go against forum guidelines and reveal your verbatim response to me, because that WOULD be against forum guidelines. But you could reveal that. ;)
Lucy
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Tarps

Post by Lucy »

Woah woah woah. Pigman is back.

PIGMAN IS BACK!!

T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

Pigman wrote: April 5, 2018, 10:58 am Hang on... careful here TR... i still have those PM's and your position was indeed made quite clear
Pigman wrote:Honestly question, do you feel my remarks in that discussion were out of line or not within the guidelines of the forum?
That was my direct question to you privately.
And you answered it. I'm not going to go against forum guidelines and reveal your verbatim response to me, because that WOULD be against forum guidelines. But you could reveal that. ;)
I believe that I said that I did not think you were out of line, but that people get weird about their kids and it's not worth beating your head against that wall.

But I can't remember the details of the coversation and do not have the PMs to reference.

I also drink a lot of wine and could have said **** anything, let's face it.

Whatever the case, it's nice to have you back, you recalcitrant ****.

Timbo
David Furner
Favourite Player: Hudson Young

Post by Timbo »

I will say this, this forum is quite good at welcoming disaffected people back after a prolonged absence.

I recall my first post after a several year gap over the great GH/LU split. I felt like the long lost son returning home again.
Sometimes the light at the end of the tunnel is just the train that's about to hit you.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

Do you know how much time I’ve saved in the last few months not arguing with pigman? It’s saved my marriage!
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Captain Punish wrote:Woah woah woah. Pigman is back.

PIGMAN IS BACK!!

I never left!!

Ohhhh, THAT pigman
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Timbo wrote:I will say this, this forum is quite good at welcoming disaffected people back after a prolonged absence.

I recall my first post after a several year gap over the great GH/LU split. I felt like the long lost son returning home again.
Who the devil are you??
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

gangrenous wrote:Do you know how much time I’ve saved in the last few months not arguing with pigman? It’s saved my marriage!
Yeah, but it ruined Pigman’s
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

Notaroboticfish
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Royce Hunt

Post by Notaroboticfish »

Captain Punish wrote: April 5, 2018, 10:56 am Let's recap it for all those serving bans at the time.

They were talking about Hayne's rape case and someone was trying to say the victim was lying about it, to which Pigman responded by asking them what he would do, if, in a hypothetical situation one of his daughters claimed the same thing happened to her and someone told her or him that she was lying. Completely reasonable hypothetical, to which the person was rightfully angry at the proposition. They wanted the post to be taken down because it exposed their own hypocrisy, not because of any manufactured offence. The fact that it was deleted and that now they are trying to claim it was a group decision is completely typical of this moderation team.
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

Notaroboticfish wrote:
Captain Punish wrote: April 5, 2018, 10:56 am Let's recap it for all those serving bans at the time.

They were talking about Hayne's rape case and someone was trying to say the victim was lying about it, to which Pigman responded by asking them what he would do, if, in a hypothetical situation one of his daughters claimed the same thing happened to her and someone told her or him that she was lying. Completely reasonable hypothetical, to which the person was rightfully angry at the proposition. They wanted the post to be taken down because it exposed their own hypocrisy, not because of any manufactured offence. The fact that it was deleted and that now they are trying to claim it was a group decision is completely typical of this moderation team.
Are you trying to make a point?

Hang on, didn't you already storm off and swear never to post again?

Sent from my SM-G955F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Notaroboticfish
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Royce Hunt

Post by Notaroboticfish »

No, I only stormed off. I never said I'd never post again