Post by zim » August 7, 2018, 10:29 pm

Pigman wrote:
zim wrote:
August 7, 2018, 8:34 pm
Matt wrote:Surely the Q is,
Williams at half.
Or
Oldie on a wing
That's the Q, well as far as I'm concerned.
I can see the pros and cons either way. But once a decision is made it needs to be stuck to.
Fortunately this seems less impactful than which 2 hookers to use instead of hodgo.
The biggest concern with the Williams / Wighton swap would be the kicking game. Sammy takes a lot of pressure off Sezer, but, our biggest issue is defence.
Wighton will need to improve his kicking game for sure.
I dont think we can bank on Sezer recapturing his Titans form... even i've given up on that, which is a shame, because as primary kicker he was excellent. We'll need a secondary kicker, and honestly it cant be Hodgson. I love the guy and when he picks his spots, he's tremendous as a kicker... but you want him taking 2, maybe 3 a game... so we need a secondary kicker in the halves to ease the pressure on Sezer... it'd help if we ever positioned well to make a good kick too, feels like 1/3 times our kicker, whoever it is, is getting the ball high, low or wide and it throws their motion off.
One option would be to have Havili at lock to free up hodgo on the fifth to provide that extra option on both sides of the ruck but then you need to juggle your international back row around it.

reptar
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson

Re: NRL ban Jack Wighton for 10 matches, impose $30,000 fine

Post by reptar » August 8, 2018, 4:21 am

Matt wrote:
reptar wrote:
August 7, 2018, 8:35 pm
Couldn't we play a halfback at fullback? And a hooker at halfback? And a bench forward on the bench for 80 minutes?
In the last 4 seasons, im confident Ricky has ticked all those boxes
Often in the same game!
Gina Riley: Oh, come on, John. That’s a bit old hat, the corrupt IOC delegate.
John Clarke: Old hat? Gina, in the scientific world when they see that something is happening again and again and again, repeatedly, they don’t call it old hat. They call it a pattern.

RedRaider
Gary Belcher

Post by RedRaider » August 8, 2018, 5:53 am

Matt wrote:
August 7, 2018, 10:11 pm
RedRaider wrote:
August 7, 2018, 9:58 pm
I hope Cotric will continue to be picked at fullback for the rest of this year. I think he has the goods to be a top flight full back. He is already better under the high ball than Jack imo. This is a key skill for the role. Defensively he is up to the role as well. In attack he was getting more involved last weekend and I hope to see this continue in the coming weeks. As his confidence grows I think we will hear more talk from him which is another skill a fullback needs imo.

As for next year, I think Jack is more likely to find himself in the three quarter line. I have said before that I think BJ has the makings of a back rower. He is big enough and tough enough. He will not have to make as many defensive decisions either. Just tackle what is in front of him. At center he persistently stays out on his opposition center. This leaves a huge hole to his left which is often exploited by opposition sides including Penrith again last weekend. He would not displace any of the current starting International backrowers but would be a very good bench impact player imo.
Be careful with outrageous statements like body typing or playing style RR. People will think youre crazy... :lol: :P
:D It's too late Matt, I'm already thought of as crazy and senile. The good thing about senility though, is that in 5 minutes it's a whole new world :lol:

Archer
David Furner
Favourite Player: Boxhead

Post by Archer » August 8, 2018, 7:47 am

zim wrote:
August 7, 2018, 10:29 pm
Pigman wrote:
zim wrote:
Williams at half.
Or
Oldie on a wing
I can see the pros and cons either way. But once a decision is made it needs to be stuck to.
Fortunately this seems less impactful than which 2 hookers to use instead of hodgo.
The biggest concern with the Williams / Wighton swap would be the kicking game. Sammy takes a lot of pressure off Sezer, but, our biggest issue is defence.
I dont think we can bank on Sezer recapturing his Titans form... even i've given up on that, which is a shame, because as primary kicker he was excellent. We'll need a secondary kicker, and honestly it cant be Hodgson. I love the guy and when he picks his spots, he's tremendous as a kicker... but you want him taking 2, maybe 3 a game... so we need a secondary kicker in the halves to ease the pressure on Sezer... it'd help if we ever positioned well to make a good kick too, feels like 1/3 times our kicker, whoever it is, is getting the ball high, low or wide and it throws their motion off.
One option would be to have Havili at lock to free up hodgo on the fifth to provide that extra option on both sides of the ruck but then you need to juggle your international back row around it.
What about we just put him at prop and rotate him with Bateman, whichever is on at the time can slot into Hooker like you've said. Also, let's not rule out Rapa for long kicks (40/20ʼs and such) and Whitehead for short kicks. BJ rolled one into the in goal on the weekend too didn't he?

Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Wighton, Croker, Hodgson, Cotric

Post by Matt » August 8, 2018, 9:13 am

reptar wrote:
August 8, 2018, 4:21 am
Matt wrote:
reptar wrote:
August 7, 2018, 8:35 pm
Couldn't we play a halfback at fullback? And a hooker at halfback? And a bench forward on the bench for 80 minutes?
In the last 4 seasons, im confident Ricky has ticked all those boxes
Often in the same game!
yep

Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt » August 8, 2018, 9:14 am

RedRaider wrote:
August 8, 2018, 5:53 am
Matt wrote:
August 7, 2018, 10:11 pm
RedRaider wrote:
August 7, 2018, 9:58 pm
I hope Cotric will continue to be picked at fullback for the rest of this year. I think he has the goods to be a top flight full back. He is already better under the high ball than Jack imo. This is a key skill for the role. Defensively he is up to the role as well. In attack he was getting more involved last weekend and I hope to see this continue in the coming weeks. As his confidence grows I think we will hear more talk from him which is another skill a fullback needs imo.

As for next year, I think Jack is more likely to find himself in the three quarter line. I have said before that I think BJ has the makings of a back rower. He is big enough and tough enough. He will not have to make as many defensive decisions either. Just tackle what is in front of him. At center he persistently stays out on his opposition center. This leaves a huge hole to his left which is often exploited by opposition sides including Penrith again last weekend. He would not displace any of the current starting International backrowers but would be a very good bench impact player imo.
Be careful with outrageous statements like body typing or playing style RR. People will think youre crazy... :lol: :P
:D It's too late Matt, I'm already thought of as crazy and senile. The good thing about senility though, is that in 5 minutes it's a whole new world :lol:
:roflmao :roflmao :roflmao

CJ42
Laurie Daley

Post by CJ42 » August 8, 2018, 4:12 pm

Not sure if I’m late to the party, but in cotrics first few games of first grade he showed top tier ability of reading the game like a book. His defensive reads are immense and I don’t think it will take him long to sort it out at fullback.
Wighton to 6 and cotric to 1 with oldfield outside Croker next year, it works for me. If we can get a front row rotation that can clear the ruck quickly and defend, we will go better than we have this year.
Front row has killed us this year, paulo and boyd never get back in the line.

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk

gangrenous
Bradley Clyde

Post by gangrenous » August 8, 2018, 6:26 pm

I agree with Woodgers except for the part about Jack having the brains to make the right plays, and his spelling of Hingano.

Green eyed Mick
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Brett Mullins

Post by Green eyed Mick » August 8, 2018, 6:37 pm

I want Wighton to go to 5/8th for the hits.

Green eyed Mick
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Brett Mullins

Post by Green eyed Mick » August 8, 2018, 6:48 pm

gangrenous wrote:
August 8, 2018, 6:26 pm
I agree with Woodgers except for the part about Jack having the brains to make the right plays, and his spelling of Hingano.
I think Jack has a pretty good footy brain.

I'd prefer jack at 6 over any of the currently off contract halves.

Captain Punish
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Tarps

Post by Captain Punish » August 8, 2018, 7:35 pm

Green eyed Mick wrote:
gangrenous wrote:

Norman's football intelligence leaves Jack's for dead. Also we saw Jack at 5/8 and he was garbage and we wanted him out.

This has McCrone to hooker written all over it.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

reptar
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson

Post by reptar » August 8, 2018, 8:00 pm

Captain Punish wrote:
Green eyed Mick wrote:
gangrenous wrote:

Norman's football intelligence leaves Jack's for dead. Also we saw Jack at 5/8 and he was garbage and we wanted him out.

This has McCrone to hooker written all over it.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk
Is that an option?
Gina Riley: Oh, come on, John. That’s a bit old hat, the corrupt IOC delegate.
John Clarke: Old hat? Gina, in the scientific world when they see that something is happening again and again and again, repeatedly, they don’t call it old hat. They call it a pattern.

zim
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Past: Brett Mullins
Present: Elliot Whitehead

Post by zim » August 9, 2018, 12:00 am

Archer wrote:
August 8, 2018, 7:47 am
zim wrote:
August 7, 2018, 10:29 pm
Pigman wrote:
zim wrote:
Williams at half.
Or
Oldie on a wing
What about we just put him at prop and rotate him with Bateman, whichever is on at the time can slot into Hooker like you've said. Also, let's not rule out Rapa for long kicks (40/20ʼs and such) and Whitehead for short kicks. BJ rolled one into the in goal on the weekend too didn't he?
I guess it's not critical to have a specialized option in at hooker to provide the occasional 5th tackle feed, and Havili will rotate in eventually during the course of the game to provide it if needed.

Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 » August 9, 2018, 6:34 pm

I've seen nothing in Cotric's game or style that indicates to me he is a long term fullback for the Raiders. Centre or Second Row maybe, but not fullback.

If the club sticks by Wighton, my big home is that he pulls his head in and realises what he needs to do to become a top 5 fullback in the NRL, which is what he absolutely could be if his head was screwed on.

Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt » August 9, 2018, 6:46 pm

Seiffert82 wrote:
August 9, 2018, 6:34 pm
I've seen nothing in Cotric's game or style that indicates to me he is a long term fullback for the Raiders. Centre or Second Row maybe, but not fullback.

If the club sticks by Wighton, my big home is that he pulls his head in and realises what he needs to do to become a top 5 fullback in the NRL, which is what he absolutely could be if his head was screwed on.
:clap:
But watch ya back.... :P :lol: