Ricky Stuart coaching

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

User avatar
Ruben Daley
Brett Mullins
Posts: 1560
Joined: June 13, 2007, 4:52 pm
Favourite Player: Kenny Nagas

Re: Sack Ricky

Post by Ruben Daley » August 26, 2018, 9:31 pm

I'm starting to wonder if Ricky is doing too much. He does so much excellent stuff for the club off the field and maybe it's affecting his coaching duties? It feels like he's carrying far more of the load than other coaches in this area.

Also, I spoke to someone in the junior fitness staff recently who was disillusioned with the head fitness team's preoccupation with strength training. This guy thought they should prioritise fitness and agility, and attributed the late-game fadeouts to the imbalance. This is a theory we've all discussed many times on this forum and is a completely baffling approach for a team loaded with massive units. But I mention it because maybe Ricky's support staff could be letting him down in areas they're supposed to be the experts in.

Before you pen your shutdown responses, I'm not giving Ricky an out for the last five years of results because I'm as disappointed as anyone and agree we need to aim higher than the "doing pretty well for a non-Sydney team" idea. Ricky is ultimately responsible for everything, so any failures by his staff still result in him failing - particularly as he probably picked all of them.

But I wonder if he's been quite as poor a coach for us as he looks from the outside.

RedRaider
Steve Walters
Posts: 7196
Joined: March 3, 2007, 7:02 pm

Re: Sack Ricky

Post by RedRaider » August 27, 2018, 7:01 am

gergreg wrote:
August 25, 2018, 8:55 am
Looks to me like BJ has been explicitly told to stay on his man - so that's what he does. Either that or it looks like the rift between him and Austin still remains. They certainly don't communicate or help each other out at all.
I think you are right gergreg. He simply stays marking his opposite oblivious to what is happening to his left. It is the complete opposite to what was happening a few years ago when we had freeways down our side lines because we played a compressed defensive line with a 'speed of a snail' slide.

In the match against Souths I don't blame BJ for the Inglis try although he missed the tackle. Inglis is just too strong and skillful with the ball. Inglis reminded me of the Mal days when a player would go high and he'd simply shrug off the defender with sheer strength. Sometimes you just have to say, 'too good'.

I didn't even blame Austin for the Cody Walker try. We all know that Austin can't defend a player with footwork, but that step from Walker was brilliant. Took me back to the days of Graeme Langlands who could do that off both feet, but it was a great example of a skill not seen so much in these days of 'power' football. Austin did give me my biggest head shaker moment though, when we 'lost the feed' to a scrum with Austin feeding the football into the scrum. The ball these days goes behind the second rowers feet. Yet he gave that great pass for Sia's try. Consistency - what's that? A fitting epitaph in his final home match for the Raiders.

I thought Sticky's post match comments, first about the sad passing of Lance Thompson and then his thanks for the NRL Hall of Fame presentation, showed him at his best. But it doesn't change the fact that his 5 year coaching record with the Raiders is poor.

User avatar
CJ42
Laurie Daley
Posts: 12683
Joined: April 12, 2011, 5:13 pm

Re: Sack Ricky

Post by CJ42 » August 27, 2018, 6:09 pm

edwahu wrote:BJ has awful try and line break cause stats, and that stat usually passes the eye test. Plus generally BJ and making good decisions just doesn't compute.

Still I think lots of our edge defensive issues start with our glacial slow inside men plodding out of marker, and this should improve next year with two of the worst gone. Bateman is very mobile and Guler also looked pretty good in that regard.

I do suspect BJ will come under even more pressure though as the huge target that is Austin will need to be redirected somewhere and he and Williams are the two most likely to be targeted.
This season and last, boyd and paulo have absolutely done my head in, watching them slowly get back to the line after a tackle, leaving a huge gap behind the markers. You can watch it happened every week. They’ve been much better the past two games and what do ya know, we defended well as a whole.


Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
Image

User avatar
CJ42
Laurie Daley
Posts: 12683
Joined: April 12, 2011, 5:13 pm

Re: Sack Ricky

Post by CJ42 » August 27, 2018, 6:15 pm

The last two weeks have also completely reinforced my opinion that our problems are completely mental based.


Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
Image

-GD-
Don Furner
Posts: 22542
Joined: February 10, 2007, 10:58 pm
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga, Terry Campese, Troy Thompson
Location: ACT

Re: Sack Ricky

Post by -GD- » August 27, 2018, 6:19 pm

CJ42 wrote:The last two weeks have also completely reinforced my opinion that our problems are completely mental based.


Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
Hard to argue with this mate, missing our FB, centre, gun second rower and first choice half.

Turned up mentally and we can see the results.

Raiders666
David Furner
Posts: 3993
Joined: June 9, 2013, 11:25 am
Favourite Player: Ken Nagas

Re: Sack Ricky

Post by Raiders666 » August 27, 2018, 6:38 pm

CJ42 wrote:
August 27, 2018, 6:15 pm
The last two weeks have also completely reinforced my opinion that our problems are completely mental based.


Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
100%

User avatar
Coastalraider
Brett Mullins
Posts: 1669
Joined: May 31, 2015, 7:25 am
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Re: Sack Ricky

Post by Coastalraider » August 27, 2018, 8:32 pm

I heard Blake on TripleM this Sunday, and he admitted that the last 2 weeks performances were heavily down to having no pressure on them due to our season being over. He said the pressure of fighting for the finals gets to you, and that tightens up your game.

We all saw this, but is interesting to hear from one of our worst performing players.

And also interesting to hear it after Sticky insists it isn’t a mental problem.

User avatar
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Posts: 21549
Joined: June 19, 2007, 8:17 am
Favourite Player: Dean Lance
Location: Greener pastures

Re: Sack Ricky

Post by Northern Raider » August 27, 2018, 8:37 pm

But if it was a mental issue Sticky would just bring in 10 sports psychologists and fix the problem. He didn't so it can't be a mental issue.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.

User avatar
gangrenous
Ricky Stuart
Posts: 9271
Joined: May 12, 2007, 10:42 pm

Re: Sack Ricky

Post by gangrenous » August 27, 2018, 10:11 pm

Northern Raider wrote:But if it was a mental issue Sticky would just bring in 10 sports psychologists and fix the problem. He didn't so it can't be a mental issue.
Ricky also has the mental issue of not admitting that there’s a mental issue

User avatar
-TW-
Mal Meninga
Posts: 29753
Joined: July 2, 2007, 11:41 am

Re: Sack Ricky

Post by -TW- » August 27, 2018, 10:47 pm

Mental exhaustion from pressure and performance anxiety and fatigue from over training

Sign me up Ricky

User avatar
Grün Maschine
Simon Woolford
Posts: 430
Joined: September 1, 2013, 7:27 pm
Favourite Player: Ken Nagas

Re: Sack Ricky

Post by Grün Maschine » August 28, 2018, 5:04 am

Can someone explain to me what a sports psychologist does and how he does it

im picturing him clicking his fingers and saying when you wake you will play like mal meninga

is it possible the away teams psychologist has got them playing like headless chickens?

User avatar
Roger Kenworthy
Bradley Clyde
Posts: 8002
Joined: January 7, 2005, 10:18 pm
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki, J-Lo, Jordan Rapana

Re: Sack Ricky

Post by Roger Kenworthy » August 28, 2018, 7:19 am

Coastalraider wrote:
August 27, 2018, 8:32 pm
I heard Blake on TripleM this Sunday, and he admitted that the last 2 weeks performances were heavily down to having no pressure on them due to our season being over. He said the pressure of fighting for the finals gets to you, and that tightens up your game.

We all saw this, but is interesting to hear from one of our worst performing players.

And also interesting to hear it after Sticky insists it isn’t a mental problem.
Ennis ripped these comments on Big League Wrap. Basically said the top players embrace pressure and that's why Blake isn't going to be playing NRL next year :roflmao

Fuifui Bradbrad
Ruben Wiki
Posts: 5611
Joined: May 3, 2008, 10:23 pm
Favourite Player: Denan Kemp
Location: Penrith, Sydney, NSW, Australia

Re: Sack Ricky

Post by Fuifui Bradbrad » August 28, 2018, 7:28 am

Grün Maschine wrote:Can someone explain to me what a sports psychologist does and how he does it

im picturing him clicking his fingers and saying when you wake you will play like mal meninga

is it possible the away teams psychologist has got them playing like headless chickens?
You’re confusing sports psychologists with sports hypnotists.

That said, I think you’re onto something. Can the club get Peter Powers on the books somewhere?
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

User avatar
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Posts: 21549
Joined: June 19, 2007, 8:17 am
Favourite Player: Dean Lance
Location: Greener pastures

Re: Sack Ricky

Post by Northern Raider » August 28, 2018, 1:31 pm

Grün Maschine wrote:
August 28, 2018, 5:04 am
Can someone explain to me what a sports psychologist does and how he does it

im picturing him clicking his fingers and saying when you wake you will play like mal meninga

is it possible the away teams psychologist has got them playing like headless chickens?
Same as any psychologist. They help people overcome mental barriers. Sports psychologists specialise in that area and focus on improved performance. They don't instantly turn players into immortals. They simply help them play to the level they are capable of.

It's no silver bullet. Some people respond better than others. In the Raiders situation it would be a case of bringing in a fresh approach to a problem the current staff have not been able to overcome.

If that fails then resorting to hypnosis might work.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.

Johno
David Furner
Posts: 3387
Joined: December 12, 2013, 9:28 am
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Re: Sack Ricky

Post by Johno » August 28, 2018, 2:41 pm

Roger Kenworthy wrote:
August 28, 2018, 7:19 am
Coastalraider wrote:
August 27, 2018, 8:32 pm
I heard Blake on TripleM this Sunday, and he admitted that the last 2 weeks performances were heavily down to having no pressure on them due to our season being over. He said the pressure of fighting for the finals gets to you, and that tightens up your game.

We all saw this, but is interesting to hear from one of our worst performing players.

And also interesting to hear it after Sticky insists it isn’t a mental problem.
Ennis ripped these comments on Big League Wrap. Basically said the top players embrace pressure and that's why Blake isn't going to be playing NRL next year :roflmao
Pertinent comments by Ennis.

Cop out comments by Austin.

Timbo
David Furner
Posts: 3088
Joined: January 6, 2005, 9:42 pm
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson
Location: Here

Re: Sack Ricky

Post by Timbo » August 28, 2018, 2:51 pm

Northern Raider wrote:
August 28, 2018, 1:31 pm
Grün Maschine wrote:
August 28, 2018, 5:04 am
Can someone explain to me what a sports psychologist does and how he does it

im picturing him clicking his fingers and saying when you wake you will play like mal meninga

is it possible the away teams psychologist has got them playing like headless chickens?
Same as any psychologist. They help people overcome mental barriers. Sports psychologists specialise in that area and focus on improved performance. They don't instantly turn players into immortals. They simply help them play to the level they are capable of.

It's no silver bullet. Some people respond better than others. In the Raiders situation it would be a case of bringing in a fresh approach to a problem the current staff have not been able to overcome.

If that fails then resorting to hypnosis might work.
Image
Sometimes the light at the end of the tunnel is just the train that's about to hit you.

User avatar
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Posts: 21549
Joined: June 19, 2007, 8:17 am
Favourite Player: Dean Lance
Location: Greener pastures

Re: Sack Ricky

Post by Northern Raider » August 28, 2018, 3:59 pm

Not the outcome we're after Timbo. Thats just more of what we have now.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.

LastRaider
Brett Mullins
Posts: 1221
Joined: March 31, 2018, 9:30 pm

Sack Ricky

Post by LastRaider » August 28, 2018, 9:54 pm

A big part that sport psychologists work on is routine with players. This is because when the pressure is on, your go to is your routine.

Melbourne Storm are well trained at this. I was reading that for each situation there it be attack or defence at different positions on the field they have a go to attacking play and a go to defensive structure which is drilled into there play. Cooper Cronk said the other day on Fox that he struggled at the beginning with the rosters as he had never had so much freedom with his play and struggled with the change.

In comparison the Raiders have no structure or go to sets in our attack or defense. That’s why we play well in the first 65 minutes of each game as we play what we see in front of us and our game has a lot of free flow about it. However when the pressure begins to turn up after the 65 minute mark we start to crack as we don’t have the structures or routine to get us through this period and we just fall apart. We especially crumble when we drop a ball or bad refereeing decision in this period as we just don’t have the mental capacity to get through this.

It’s beyond me why Stuart hasn’t fixed this in the last 2 years. If he and his team can’t fix this, then get someone in. It’s not just bad luck, it’s purely bad coaching.

For some reason the Raiders don’t get consultants in to help. The only thing I have seen so far is he got Mal Meninga in at the start of the season to help the leadership group but that’s all he has done. It’s probably a budget thing, but also I’m pretty sure Stuart has pissed off half of the NRL community and people don’t want to pick up his phone calls.





Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse

FROG
Dean Lance
Posts: 831
Joined: April 7, 2008, 8:14 pm

Re: Sack Ricky

Post by FROG » August 29, 2018, 4:02 am

The first step in solving a problem is admitting you have one. But that said its not as simple to solve as hiring a psych. Sometimes overthinking situations can have the inverse effect. A lot has to do with confidence. as the Great Jack gibson once remarked 'confidence. No one knows where it comes from and no body knows where it goes'. Consider Michael Morgans performances this year with last year as a case in point. What's obvious is that we do have a problem and something does need to change. We've changed part of our roster. We're changing part of our coaching team. Whether it's enough to fix our issues time will tell.

User avatar
Roger Kenworthy
Bradley Clyde
Posts: 8002
Joined: January 7, 2005, 10:18 pm
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki, J-Lo, Jordan Rapana

Re: Sack Ricky

Post by Roger Kenworthy » August 29, 2018, 7:38 am

I just can't imagine Ricky saying "I know what the problem is but I need some help fixing it".

Most organisations would judge him for those failings to bring in specialists to address repeated issues. The Canberra media credit him for working like a mad man to try and fix it all himself.

User avatar
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Posts: 21549
Joined: June 19, 2007, 8:17 am
Favourite Player: Dean Lance
Location: Greener pastures

Re: Sack Ricky

Post by Northern Raider » August 29, 2018, 9:43 am

Reckon you nailed it Roger
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.

LastRaider
Brett Mullins
Posts: 1221
Joined: March 31, 2018, 9:30 pm

Re: Sack Ricky

Post by LastRaider » August 29, 2018, 11:11 am

Yep sounds right Roger. Stuart putting his ego ahead of the tean


Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse

User avatar
zim
Gary Belcher
Posts: 6463
Joined: July 8, 2015, 3:38 pm
Favourite Player: Past: Brett Mullins
Present: Elliot Whitehead
Location: Sydney

Re: Sack Ricky

Post by zim » August 29, 2018, 11:16 am

Where does having guys like Meninga come in to help out Croker fit into this?

User avatar
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Posts: 21549
Joined: June 19, 2007, 8:17 am
Favourite Player: Dean Lance
Location: Greener pastures

Re: Sack Ricky

Post by Northern Raider » August 29, 2018, 2:43 pm

So all we need is find a sports psych thats a club legend and a mate of Stick's
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.

LastRaider
Brett Mullins
Posts: 1221
Joined: March 31, 2018, 9:30 pm

Re: Sack Ricky

Post by LastRaider » August 29, 2018, 3:07 pm

Northern Raider wrote:So all we need is find a sports psych thats a club legend and a mate of Stick's
Yep nailed it, also can’t be to harsh on the players, there hurting a lot after this season


Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse

User avatar
zim
Gary Belcher
Posts: 6463
Joined: July 8, 2015, 3:38 pm
Favourite Player: Past: Brett Mullins
Present: Elliot Whitehead
Location: Sydney

Re: Sack Ricky

Post by zim » August 29, 2018, 4:15 pm

Northern Raider wrote:
August 29, 2018, 2:43 pm
So all we need is find a sports psych thats a club legend and a mate of Stick's
Well I guess that's an improvement. Ricky's gone from never accepting help to only accepting help from unicorns. Maybe by the end of the thread we'll have changed the whole culture.

User avatar
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Posts: 21549
Joined: June 19, 2007, 8:17 am
Favourite Player: Dean Lance
Location: Greener pastures

Re: Sack Ricky

Post by Northern Raider » August 29, 2018, 6:39 pm

Can't think of any other examples of him calling in outside help in the last 5 years. Gets back to the original point of Sticky believing he knows the problem and how to fix it..... even though it remains broken.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.

gergreg
Gary Belcher
Posts: 6562
Joined: June 24, 2008, 4:22 pm

Re: Sack Ricky

Post by gergreg » August 29, 2018, 7:13 pm

Northern Raider wrote:
August 29, 2018, 6:39 pm
Can't think of any other examples of him calling in outside help in the last 5 years. Gets back to the original point of Sticky believing he knows the problem and how to fix it..... even though it remains broken.
He fixed it 2 weeks ago. Haven't you been paying attention NR?
Shoving it in your face since 2017

User avatar
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Posts: 21549
Joined: June 19, 2007, 8:17 am
Favourite Player: Dean Lance
Location: Greener pastures

Re: Sack Ricky

Post by Northern Raider » August 29, 2018, 7:22 pm

gergreg wrote:
August 29, 2018, 7:13 pm
Northern Raider wrote:
August 29, 2018, 6:39 pm
Can't think of any other examples of him calling in outside help in the last 5 years. Gets back to the original point of Sticky believing he knows the problem and how to fix it..... even though it remains broken.
He fixed it 2 weeks ago. Haven't you been paying attention NR?
I'll be happy provided its not broken again come round 1 next year.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.

User avatar
gangrenous
Ricky Stuart
Posts: 9271
Joined: May 12, 2007, 10:42 pm

Re: Sack Ricky

Post by gangrenous » August 29, 2018, 8:30 pm

Especially useful that the solution is “take all pressure off through being a mathematical impossibility for the finals”. Can see that one being a successful strategy...

User avatar
zim
Gary Belcher
Posts: 6463
Joined: July 8, 2015, 3:38 pm
Favourite Player: Past: Brett Mullins
Present: Elliot Whitehead
Location: Sydney

Re: Sack Ricky

Post by zim » August 29, 2018, 9:12 pm

Northern Raider wrote:Can't think of any other examples of him calling in outside help in the last 5 years. Gets back to the original point of Sticky believing he knows the problem and how to fix it..... even though it remains broken.
He hasn't said that this year.
Belcher was also at preseason for a few days with the fullbacks.

I think we need to move on and get a new coach. He's definitely made some decisions that I thought were stupid... but hey who cares. Let's just continue the meme that Stuart would rather cut off his nose to spite his face for years in some conspiratorial power play instead of doing what he thinks is best to help the club succeed.

User avatar
PigRickman
Mal Meninga
Posts: 24235
Joined: June 18, 2013, 4:31 pm
Favourite Player: Nick Cotric

Re: Sack Ricky

Post by PigRickman » August 29, 2018, 9:21 pm

zim wrote:
August 29, 2018, 9:12 pm
Northern Raider wrote:Can't think of any other examples of him calling in outside help in the last 5 years. Gets back to the original point of Sticky believing he knows the problem and how to fix it..... even though it remains broken.
He hasn't said that this year.
Belcher was also at preseason for a few days with the fullbacks.

I think we need to move on and get a new coach. He's definitely made some decisions that I thought were stupid... but hey who cares. Let's just continue the meme that Stuart would rather cut off his nose to spite his face for years in some conspiratorial power play instead of doing what he thinks is best to help the club succeed.
Its not really a meme, haha. Memes are something different to a troupe. But that's beside the point...Are you saying its inaccurate to suggest Stuart is a micro-manager, and that he doesnt believe he has all the answers and can solve all the problems?
The List - K.Love, Keno, Zippy's tennis angels, LA Lakers, Noah, Boozer, Lucy's horse tips, Colts, Lucy, Kevin Proctor, Dr Zaius, TR, Tinfoil hatted Gangers and Woody, anyone in Raiders HQ who can point to QBN on a map....

Matt wrote:
July 18, 2018, 3:49 pm
Edrick Lee 5. Jordan Rapana
Coaching Power Rankings: Ricky Stuart - Top 2, and he ain't 2.

User avatar
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Posts: 21549
Joined: June 19, 2007, 8:17 am
Favourite Player: Dean Lance
Location: Greener pastures

Re: Sack Ricky

Post by Northern Raider » August 29, 2018, 10:01 pm

zim wrote:
August 29, 2018, 9:12 pm
Northern Raider wrote:Can't think of any other examples of him calling in outside help in the last 5 years. Gets back to the original point of Sticky believing he knows the problem and how to fix it..... even though it remains broken.
He hasn't said that this year.
Belcher was also at preseason for a few days with the fullbacks.

I think we need to move on and get a new coach. He's definitely made some decisions that I thought were stupid... but hey who cares. Let's just continue the meme that Stuart would rather cut off his nose to spite his face for years in some conspiratorial power play instead of doing what he thinks is best to help the club succeed.
Haha, Badge having a few day with the squad in preseason is really stretching it for examples. A real cry for help from ol Stick there. :lol:
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.

User avatar
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Posts: 21460
Joined: March 17, 2007, 12:24 pm
Favourite Player: Bay56

Re: Sack Ricky

Post by Seiffert82 » August 30, 2018, 7:36 am

CJ42 wrote:
August 27, 2018, 6:09 pm
edwahu wrote:BJ has awful try and line break cause stats, and that stat usually passes the eye test. Plus generally BJ and making good decisions just doesn't compute.

Still I think lots of our edge defensive issues start with our glacial slow inside men plodding out of marker, and this should improve next year with two of the worst gone. Bateman is very mobile and Guler also looked pretty good in that regard.

I do suspect BJ will come under even more pressure though as the huge target that is Austin will need to be redirected somewhere and he and Williams are the two most likely to be targeted.
This season and last, boyd and paulo have absolutely done my head in, watching them slowly get back to the line after a tackle, leaving a huge gap behind the markers. You can watch it happened every week. They’ve been much better the past two games and what do ya know, we defended well as a whole.


Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
Yep. Does my head in every time I watch them.

gergreg
Gary Belcher
Posts: 6562
Joined: June 24, 2008, 4:22 pm

Re: Sack Ricky

Post by gergreg » August 30, 2018, 9:43 am

Northern Raider wrote:
August 29, 2018, 7:22 pm
gergreg wrote:
August 29, 2018, 7:13 pm
Northern Raider wrote:
August 29, 2018, 6:39 pm
Can't think of any other examples of him calling in outside help in the last 5 years. Gets back to the original point of Sticky believing he knows the problem and how to fix it..... even though it remains broken.
He fixed it 2 weeks ago. Haven't you been paying attention NR?
I'll be happy provided its not broken again come round 1 next year.
The side has proven they can match it with the best sides. Ricky's solved the puzzle. No need for any trials next year, we just need to make sure we peak for the finals and as a bit of an in-house team building exercise the players will all grow 'Porn style' moustache until we lose a game.
Shoving it in your face since 2017

Post Reply