Through green eyes 2018

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

TongueFTW
Peter Jackson

Re: Through green eyes 2018

Post by TongueFTW » August 6, 2018, 9:37 am

I am convinced more than ever we have serious fitness issues. Remember we had the Warriors, a team notorious for its lack of fitness, run over the top of us in the last 5 minutes. You cannot have this happen again and again without it being a fundamental issue with fitness.

reptar
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson

Post by reptar » August 6, 2018, 10:07 am

4 is generous for Paulo. He's lucky not to get negative ratings
Gina Riley: Oh, come on, John. That’s a bit old hat, the corrupt IOC delegate.
John Clarke: Old hat? Gina, in the scientific world when they see that something is happening again and again and again, repeatedly, they don’t call it old hat. They call it a pattern.

-PJ-
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Joseph Tapine

Post by -PJ- » August 6, 2018, 10:16 am

When is Paul Crawley going to stop defending his good friend Ricky Stuart in the media and call him out on some glaring issues which are 100% his doing ?

Can somebody out there in rugby league land question our coach on a very very poor 2yrs since a preliminary final appearance ?

How can this squad of blokes continue to make the same mistakes for 2yrs ?

I want something done..
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
20/7/18 Shark Park - a dark day in rugby league.

LastRaider
Dean Lance

Through green eyes 2018

Post by LastRaider » August 6, 2018, 10:38 am

TongueFTW wrote:I am convinced more than ever we have serious fitness issues. Remember we had the Warriors, a team notorious for its lack of fitness, run over the top of us in the last 5 minutes. You cannot have this happen again and again without it being a fundamental issue with fitness.
I think it was at the beginning of the season but now it is just lack of belief and laziness.

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed » August 13, 2018, 8:59 am

Through green eyes: As I saw it

"It killed us, being 16-0 when Joey came back onto the field and for us to hang in there and get back into the game I thought was a really big effort. I know I'm going to get the effort every week no matter what the situation that's why I enjoy coaching them because they're giving 100% at every moment. That's why you still get 14,500 people out here supporting them because they know they've got a lot of ticker and they're playing for the jumper and that's something in the culture. But still it doesn't subtract from any of the disappointment...

It's not an excuse but it's been a factor of our season, Josh is as important to us as Cameron Smith is to Melbourne and we've had 14 weeks of having to put up with that. Losing our fullback, which is no fault of anybody but ours and Jack's, again that's your Billy Slater to your Melbourne. That's why they're hanging around the top four and we're around 10th, they've been two massive blows to us."

Canberra Raiders coach Ricky Stuart.

Round 22 2018. Wests Tigers 22 - Canberra Raiders 20. Yet another narrow loss. And it was the end of any mathematical possibility that the Raiders could make the finals, with three rounds of the regular season left. It was the fifth game in 2018 lost by two points or less. It was the seventh game lost by four points or less. That's the difference between a share of 10th place and the competition lead. The Raiders ultimately lost the match in the first 20 minutes, conceding three tries and 16 points while Joey Leilua was in the sin bin. The Raiders came back, and reduced the deficit to just two points with 15 minutes to go. But ill discipline and error in the final stages meant the team were unable to post a winning try in the final stages.

The Raiders were again disrupted by injury, with Aidan Sezer (hamstring) a late withdrawal, forcing Blake Austin back to the halves and Elliott Whitehead to centre. But the Raiders still had enough opportunities to win the game. They are the No. 1 attacking team in the competition. No other team has scored more points or tries. As I pointed out last week, the Raiders have scored enough points to be a top four team - despite the serious injury disruptions faced this year. But they are a bottom four team in defence. Defence, ill discipline and error. Those are the reasons the Raiders have again missed the finals.

In the past decade, the Raiders have made the finals just three times. Just once in the past six years. It is the worst performed period in Raiders history. The Canberra District Rugby League took back ownership of the Canberra Raiders in 2002. Since then, the Raiders have now missed the finals in more years than they have made them.

On Saturday, coach Ricky Stuart said that there will be a review of the season and it won't be a "fluffy" one. It'll follow the "brutal" review conducted after last season.

"We'll do a thorough review of the whole football department. It won't be a fluffy review where it makes people feel good. We'll be doing a review to make sure we're finding areas that we need to fix, areas where we have to sit down and focus on in regards to getting right. In saying that, we've got a very good football department, you can see what we can do in our attack... There's not a lot to fix."

I'd like to think there's not a lot to fix. However, given the Raiders have continued to be plagued by the same problems for the past two years, those problems are clearly proving pretty difficult to fix. Changes in playing personnel in 2019 should help - the addition of some more mobile forwards, for a start.

But clearly the organisation is under-performing as a whole and has been for a long time. There are many good things that have recently been achieved by the Raiders, including the build up in memberships, increased involvement in the community and charity, and the presentation of matches on game day. But three finals appearances in a decade underlines that the whole club - not just the football department - needs a "root and branch" review. Hopefully, the Raiders owners and board will act, quickly. The future of rugby league in the region depends on it.

Stats that mattered? On the whole, the Raiders had the statistical advantage in this match... but not on the final scoreboard. The Raiders finished with a 53 per cent possession share, despite barely touching the ball in the early stages of the match. The Raiders had the better completion rate (84 per cent- 82 per cent), made fewer errors (5-8), but did concede more penalties (10-9). Both teams had 38 sets. However, the Raiders made more runs (185-151), made more metres gained with the ball in hand (1621m-1508m) and produced more post contact metres (575m-511m) than the Tigers. The Tigers made more kicking metres (482m-399m).

The Tigers had to make more tackles (368-292) and missed a whopping 50 tackles in the match (compared with 36 for the Raiders). The tackle efficiency rates for both teams were poor, but the Tigers were were clearly worse. But the Raiders kept missing tackles that counted, with the Tigers making 10 in the match, compared with six for the Raiders. Canberra made more offloads (13-6), but that, and the other statistical advantages, didn't count for much in the end.

Memorable moments? There were quite a few, and some were not of a good kind. Like Brad Abbey throwing the ball over the sideline, with the Raiders on the attack, desperately searching for a winning try. Or Blake Austin inverting a Tigers player in a tackle, the visitors trapped on their goal line with three minutes remaining. It wasn't dangerous, but... Penalties for back chat, a head high tackle, as the Raiders sought to bridge a two point deficit in the final stages.

But there were some very good moments from the Raiders as well. There were some terrific offloads in the lead up to Joey Leilu's try in the 60th minute, starting the Raiders' charge back into the match in the second half. The best Raiders try came shortly after, with a stunning angled run from Joe Tapine, which saw him go over in the corner. It was the second of two tries for Tapine, both the result of his power running. Nick Cotric had a couple of problems in the last line of defence. It was a tough day for him, given the number of line breaks being made by the Tigers up field. But he produced a stunning try saver just before half time on Esan Marsters... and with some help from Blake Austin and Elliott Whitehead, put him over the sideline. That was the best moment for the Raiders in defence.

Best performers?

Joe Tapine. Two tries, 15 runs for 152 metres, 30 post contact metres, 10 tackle breaks, three line breaks, three off loads, 29 tackles.

Josh Papalii. One try, 18 runs for 172 metres, 64 post contact metres, five tackles breaks, one line break assist, one off load, 38 tackles. The blot on the copy book was seven missed tackles.

Jordan Rapana. 20 runs for 174 metres, 61 post contact metres, eight tackle breaks, one line break, two offloads, five tackles.

Top tacklers: Josh Hodgson 44, Josh Papalii 38, Joe Tapine 29, Shannon Boyd 29.
Most metres gained: Jordan Rapana 174, Josh Papalii 172, Joe Tapine 152.

My player ratings:

Nick Cotric 7
Brad Abbey 4
Elliott Whitehead 5
Joey Leilua 6
Jordan Rapana 7
Blake Austin 6
Sam Williams 5
Dunamis Lui 5
Josh Hodgson 7
Shannon Boyd 5
Joseph Tapine 9
Sia Soliola 5
Josh Papalii 8

Junior Paulo 5
Siliva Havili 5
Luke Bateman 5
Jack Murchie dnp

Do you agree or disagree with the ratings? Let us know!

Plus follow us on Facebook: The Greenhouse Forum and Instagram: @TheGHRaiders

If you can put some sentences together and you'd like to write a regular column for The Greenhouse, let us know! We are keen to have more contributing writers!

RedRaider
Gary Belcher

Post by RedRaider » August 13, 2018, 10:37 am

What was Lui's rating GE? I thought a 6. I just cannot see how Austin is rated better than Sam Williams unless there is a WWE bonus in the guidelines. He fair dinkum killed all momentum, twice in the closing minutes when we still had a chance to win the match. Once with the positioning for the power slam and once with the 'chip and chase' that simply handed the ball back to the Tigers. The first part of a 'chip and chase' is that the ball is kicked into an open space. Fail.

zim
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Past: Brett Mullins
Present: Elliot Whitehead

Post by zim » August 13, 2018, 10:50 am

Would have been great to see Havili get more than 19 minutes:
104m (48 post contact), 3 tackle breaks, 1 offload. That's quite a little stint.

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed » August 13, 2018, 12:32 pm

RedRaider wrote:
August 13, 2018, 10:37 am
What was Lui's rating GE? I thought a 6. I just cannot see how Austin is rated better than Sam Williams unless there is a WWE bonus in the guidelines. He fair dinkum killed all momentum, twice in the closing minutes when we still had a chance to win the match. Once with the positioning for the power slam and once with the 'chip and chase' that simply handed the ball back to the Tigers. The first part of a 'chip and chase' is that the ball is kicked into an open space. Fail.
I went a 5 Red.

Green eyed Mick
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Brett Mullins

Post by Green eyed Mick » August 13, 2018, 7:55 pm

RedRaider wrote:
Austin was trash. From the warm-up, where he is the only bloke not wearing the official warm up shirt through to the final whistle he is a one man band.

Someone needs to remind this **** that Rugby League is a team sport.

-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- » August 13, 2018, 8:09 pm

I cracked it when he got the **** on half time cause he wasn't passed the ball 5m from the sideline

**** off you flog

-GD-
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga, Terry Campese, Troy Thompson

Post by -GD- » August 13, 2018, 8:27 pm

Green eyed Mick wrote:
RedRaider wrote:
Austin was trash. From the warm-up, where he is the only bloke not wearing the official warm up shirt through to the final whistle he is a one man band.

Someone needs to remind this **** that Rugby League is a team sport.
Did he do the thing in the warm up where he ran off the field while everyone else is shaking hands with each other?