2017 Rd 24 V Panthers: Game Day

Canberra Raiders V Penrith Panthers
Sunday 20 August 2:00pm
Canberra Stadium
Gates open: 11:30am NYC kick off: 11:45am
Tickets: Click here
TV coverage: Fox League live Channel 502
Radio: ABC, 2CC
Weather: Severe morning frost. Sunny. Sunny. Areas of morning frost, locally severe. Areas of frost at night. Light winds. Chance of any rain: 0 per cent. Possible rainfall: 0 mm Min -4 Max 13

Round 23 2017. Raiders 36 Warriors 16. The Raiders went to Auckland and did what they had to do. Win. The game was played in the wet, horrible conditions at times, and it is not surprising that it looked a bit scrappy. But the Raiders were able to defend their errors and made the Warriors pay for theirs.

2017 Round 23 Canberra Raiders V New Zealand Warriors

More on Round 23: As I saw it

In Round 24, the Raiders return home and face the Penrith Panthers at Canberra Stadium in yet another must win match. The Raiders have named an unchanged line up, with Joey Leilua cleared of a serious knee injury after limping off in the Warriors clash. For the Panthers, Peter Wallace (broken hand) has been replaced at hooker by Sione Katoa. Hooker Mitch Rein and Trent Merrin (knee) have both been named on the reserves list.

Late changes: Royce Hunt and Erin Clark were omitted from the Raiders' squad of 21 on Saturday afternoon, leaving Michael Oldfield and Jeff Lima on the reserves list. The Raiders are expected to field their top 17. For the Panthers, Mitch Rein and Viliame Kikau drop out, leaving open the possibility of a return for Trent Merrin.

Matt's Match-ups: Click here

Franko's Five: Click here

History: Canberra has won 36 of 72 matches against Penrith Panthers. In the past 10 matches, it is five wins apiece. The Raiders lost the most recent contest in Round 14 this year, 24-20, with the Panthers scoring twice in the final minutes to snatch victory. However, the good news is that the Panthers have lost their past three matches in the national capital, including last year's Week 2 finals match. In addition, the Raiders have won 19 of 27 matches at the venue.

2017 Round 14 Canberra Raiders V Penrith Panthers

2016 Finals Week 2 Canberra Raiders V New Zealand Warriors

In this week's "History Happens" we go back to Week 1 of the finals in 2010 - a match which the surging Raiders took from the Panthers at Penrith. The Raiders fans surged as well... after the match to greet their heroes... and the fence crashed down. What a night!

2010 Finals Week 1 Canberra Raiders V Penrith Panthers

Form: The Raiders have a WLWWW record in their past five matches, while the Panthers are on a six game winning streak. Four of the Panthers' wins have been against teams towards the bottom of the ladder, but they have also beaten the Sea Eagles and the Cowboys. It was a 24-16 win in their last start over North Queensland at home.

Betting: The Raiders are $1.52 favourites in this match - strangely, given relative positions on the ladder. The Panthers are paying $2.60 and have 6.0 points start.

Stat attack: It's a match up between 6th and 10th on the competition ladder. The Panthers have a 12-9 record while the Raiders are 10-11. Canberra has a only a 5-5 record at home, while the Panthers are 4-6 away.

Attack: The Raiders are ranked fifth in the NRL in attack (23 points and four tries per match), while the Panthers rank sixth (21.6 points and 3.6 tries per match).

The Raiders and Panthers have relatively poor completion rates (both at 74 per cent) and high error rates (Panthers 11.5 per match, Raiders 11 per match). Both teams receive just over seven penalties per match, and concede around 6.5 per match. Overall, the Panthers average 51 per cent possession (49 per cent for the Raiders).

The Panthers rank third for running metres (1475 metres per match), the Raiders 12th (1383 metres). Penrith average around 13 more runs per match than than Canberra, with the Green Machine making slightly more metres per run (9.3-9.1). Both teams are well down the rankings for kicking metres (at around 410 metres per match). Canberra is second in the NRL for tackle breaks due to the strong running of Rapana, Cotric and Leilua (34 per match, 31 for the Panthers). Both teams produce five line breaks and around 10 offloads per match, while the Raiders produce more try assists (3.5-2.7 per match).

Defence: The Panthers rank seventh for least points conceded, the Raiders 10th. Penrith concede 18.7 points (3.3 tries) per match, compared with 19.6 points (3.3 tries) per match for Canberra. The Panthers rank second for fewest running metres conceded, the Raiders 10th (1339-1417 metres per match). Both teams concede relatively few line breaks (Raiders 3.7, Panthers 4.2 per match). However the Panthers rank second for missed tackles (31 per match, 26 for the Raiders) and first for offloads conceded (11 per match, 10 for the Raiders).

Our tip: The Raiders have the better attacking record, the Panthers the better defensive record. Canberra has the better points differential - in fact they have a better points differential than any team in the top eight apart from the Storm and Broncos.

The Panthers make a lot of metres with the ball in hand, keeping it alive with second phases - and the Raiders concede a lot of metres. At the same time, Penrith doesn't concede metres easily. Canberra's work rate in the forwards will really have to lift, in both attack and defence, if the Raiders are to win. They'll need the sort of work rate they delivered in spades in the Sharks match. The Raiders will have to move up quickly in defence and shut down the Panthers' passing.

Canberra will also need to be strong in the final stages of the game. The Panthers have scored more tries in the final 10 minutes than any other period of their matches. They score 40 per cent of their tries in the final 20 minutes. The Raiders know that only too well... They also score 40 per cent of their tries on the last tackle... so that is also something Canberra will need to watch. There are points in the match where the Panthers are vulnerable - they tend to concede tries in the opening stages and either side of half time. The Raiders should aim to take advantage of that.

Both teams have some momentum and need the victory to keep in the finals hunt. Canberra is in a more desperate situation. They cannot afford a single loss. The Panthers can, however they have three matches against contenders to finish the season. They'll be desperate too. But it's like every week: if the Raiders complete their sets and lay a platform in the forwards, they are capable of the win. Raiders by six.

What they're saying:

Blake Austin on the Panthers: "We've had some pretty big clashes against them in the last couple of years. We finished their season last year and they did what they did to us in Bathurst which really hurt us. We get to play them down in Canberra which will be good, and with the way we've been playing we'll be pretty confident."

Canberra Raiders

1. Jack Wighton
2. Nick Cotric
3. Jarrod Croker (C)
4. Joey Leilua
5. Jordan Rapana
6. Blake Austin
7. Aidan Sezer
8. Junior Paulo
9. Josh Hodgson
10. Shannon Boyd
11. Josh Papalii
12. Joe Tapine
13. Elliott Whitehead

14. Kurt Baptiste
15. Clay Priest
16. Dave Taylor
17. Luke Bateman

18. Michael Oldfield
19. Jeff Lima

Penrith Panthers

1. Dylan Edwards
2. Josh Mansour
3. Tyrone Peachey
4. Waqa Blake
5. Dallin Watene-Zelezniak
6. Matt Moylan (C)
7. Nathan Cleary
8. James Tamou
9. Sione Katoa
10. Reagan Campbell-Gillard
11. Corey Harawira-Naera
12. Isaah Yeo
13. Moses Leota

14. Tyrone May
15. Bryce Cartwright
16. Tim Browne
17. James Fisher-Harris

18. Trent Merrin
19. Dean Whare

Officials:

Referees: Ashley Klein, Alan Shortall
Sideline Officials: Chris Butler, Jeff Younis
Video Referees: Bernard Sutton, Luke Patten

Match Hashtags: #NRL #WeareRaiders #BleedGreen #NRLRaidersPanthers
The Greenhouse Hashtags: #WearGreen2017 #FromAllAngles

NSW Premiership teams: Click here
Holden Cup teams: Click here

Plus follow us on Twitter: @TheGHRaiders and Instagram: @TheGHRaiders
Lucky
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Croker

Re: 2017 Rd 24 V Panthers: Game Day

Post by Lucky »

It surprises me that we are heavy favourites for this one.... We ended the panthers season last year, expect them to do the same to us this year.... penny panfers to score 3 tries in 7 mins to rip our hearts out and win by 2.
Green eyed Mick
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Brett Mullins

Post by Green eyed Mick »

I am pretty confident about this week. Should be a good crowd and the boys should be primed to avenge the earlier loss to the Panthers.
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

Really hoping we come out and make a statement like in the sharks game, but the panthers will always think they are in it considering the way we lost last time.
Raider of d Lost Ark
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by Raider of d Lost Ark »

zim wrote:Really hoping we come out and make a statement like in the sharks game, but the panthers will always think they are in it considering the way we lost last time.
Not if we put 74 points on them like in 2008....

Campo scored 36 points, what a game!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Finite
David Furner

Post by Finite »

Very surprised how heavy we are favoured this one. I think the Panthers will get it done but I want to be proven wrong. I have no doubt the boys will be up for it but effort has never been the problem in the past. If we complete our sets we win, simple as that I recon.
reptar
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Jordan Rapana

Post by reptar »

Complete them with tries
Gina Riley: Oh, come on, John. That’s a bit old hat, the corrupt IOC delegate.
John Clarke: Old hat? Gina, in the scientific world when they see that something is happening again and again and again, repeatedly, they don’t call it old hat. They call it a pattern.
edwahu

Post by edwahu »

1.57 seems pretty short. The Panthers haven't beaten anyone above them though and have only got 2 wins against top 8 sides, so add in home ground and I guess the Bookies don't rate their form line that highly.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

Same bookies that repeatedly had the Raiders favourites through the middle of the season though. Not worth a lot.
raiderskater
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Croker, Cotric, Sezer

Post by raiderskater »

Raider of d Lost Ark wrote:
zim wrote:Really hoping we come out and make a statement like in the sharks game, but the panthers will always think they are in it considering the way we lost last time.
Not if we put 74 points on them like in 2008....

Campo scored 36 points, what a game!!

I vividly remember that game. Mostly because it had actually snowed that morning and we spent the first half sitting in a very icy rain. I think there were like 700 people there.

The way the wind felt today, maybe it will snow again...
And to all the people who doubted me, hello to them as well. - Mark Webber, Raiders Ballboy and Unluckiest F1 Driver Ever

I'm attacking in the right way, instead of just...attacking in the general direction. - Max Aaron (also eerily apropos for the Green Machine)
Lucky
Brett Mullins

Post by Lucky »

Just finished watching the 2008 74-12 game.... what a day that was :clap: Pity Campese didn't take the last shot at goal.... hopefully we draw inspiration from that game and get up in this one :thumbsup
Brewdle
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Love em all

Post by Brewdle »

Bloody disappointing! On a cruise from Sydney to Moreton Island and on Sunday the sports bar is all bloody AFL, disgraceful, we're going from NSW to Qld and its all Mexican footy on Sunday! Tempted to get off the bloody ship

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
Kryptonite
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Terry Reagan

Post by Kryptonite »

Lucky wrote:Just finished watching the 2008 74-12 game.... what a day that was :clap: Pity Campese didn't take the last shot at goal.... hopefully we draw inspiration from that game and get up in this one :thumbsup
After that game I was convinced that David Milne was the next Gary Belcher, how disappointed I was :(
kiwi raider
Steve Walters

Post by kiwi raider »

Did Trevor Thurling score a hat trick in that game or just a double?
Lucky
Brett Mullins

Post by Lucky »

kiwi raider wrote:Did Trevor Thurling score a hat trick in that game or just a double?
He got a hat trick.
Last edited by Lucky on August 17, 2017, 10:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lucky
Brett Mullins

Post by Lucky »

Is everyone prepared for a Nathan Cleary EDIT?
BlameItOnTheBooger
Glenn Lazarus
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson

Post by BlameItOnTheBooger »

Lucky wrote:Is everyone prepared for a Nathan Cleary EDIT?
How annoying is it getting?

Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

Kryptonite wrote:
Lucky wrote:Just finished watching the 2008 74-12 game.... what a day that was :clap: Pity Campese didn't take the last shot at goal.... hopefully we draw inspiration from that game and get up in this one :thumbsup
After that game I was convinced that David Milne was the next Gary Belcher, how disappointed I was :(
Jeez, you set yourself up for real disappointment there!

One of those guys was easily one of the top 5 players in the world in the early 90's; the other could run reasonably fast on a good day, but probably had the most limited skill-set I've ever seen in a fullback. :lol:
Kryptonite
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Terry Reagan

Post by Kryptonite »

Seiffert82 wrote:
Kryptonite wrote:
Jeez, you set yourself up for real disappointment there!

One of those guys was easily one of the top 5 players in the world in the early 90's; the other could run reasonably fast on a good day, but probably had the most limited skill-set I've ever seen in a fullback. :lol:
Clocking up 70+ points, there were 13 Garry Belchers out there that day
Rick
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: Daley

Post by Rick »

I could not stand Milne. What a hack!

Finchy
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Ata Mariota

Post by Finchy »

I'm going to lose all credibility (if I had any) but I thought Milne went ok. I'd actually take him over Wighton tbh
Ata Mariota’s #1 fan. Bless his cotton socks.
Sid
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Shannon Boyd

Post by Sid »

Milne is probably the worst defender I've seen in lime green. Top 3 with Robinson and Williams.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Would have won Boogs - 2016, 2017, 2018

1 part green, 1 part machine
-GD-
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga, Terry Campese, Troy Thompson

Post by -GD- »

Jeez he knew how to hit a hole though
Elcaptcroker
David Grant
Favourite Player: Jarrod croker

Post by Elcaptcroker »

Finchy wrote:I'm going to lose all credibility (if I had any) but I thought Milne went ok. I'd actually take him over Wighton tbh
milne was awesome when ran straight and hard hed break the line at will but then something changed and he stopped and started running sideways and thats when he became useless

Sir Green
Gerry De La Cruz

Post by Sir Green »

Hey Guys,

I've got a 2 game bronze membership and will be making the trek from Wagga, and I have a mate in Canberra who is also going to come along. I'm about to buy him a GA ticket as that's what my membership card mentions, but wanted to check something.

If I select say the North Terrace of the main stand for his ticket, we can both sit there? They're both GA but his ticket would sat North specifically and my members card doesn't specify? pretty sure its fine, just double checking.

Cheers.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

Sir Green wrote:Hey Guys,

I've got a 2 game bronze membership and will be making the trek from Wagga, and I have a mate in Canberra who is also going to come along. I'm about to buy him a GA ticket as that's what my membership card mentions, but wanted to check something.

If I select say the North Terrace of the main stand for his ticket, we can both sit there? They're both GA but his ticket would sat North specifically and my members card doesn't specify? pretty sure its fine, just double checking.

Cheers.
You can pretty much sit wherever you want at Canberra stadium once the first whistle goes
Sir Green
Gerry De La Cruz

Post by Sir Green »

The Nickman wrote:
Sir Green wrote:Hey Guys,

Cheers.
You can pretty much sit wherever you want at Canberra stadium once the first whistle goes
Shiny. Thanks for the quick reply
Raidersfan
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: George Clooney

Post by Raidersfan »

^^^
.. unless you are sitting in a members seat .. then look at your ticket, say sorry and move one across
I don't post facts
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

Raidersfan wrote:^^^
.. unless you are sitting in a members seat .. then look at your ticket, say sorry and move one across
After the first whistle they're probably already in their seat though, bay!
Baywatch
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Shaun Fensom

Post by Baywatch »

I have a good feeling about this game!
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Game Day preview updated for latest squads, weather, odds: http://thegh.com.au/forum/viewtopic.php ... 9#p1537089
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

I like this Sunday 2pm time slot.....

Stick it to em boys.

#bleedgreen
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
pickles
Ruben Wiki

Post by pickles »

Game day! Making the trip down from the coast for this so hopefully the raiders make it worth the trip!

Let's prolong the inevitable for one more week!
Raidersfan
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: George Clooney

Post by Raidersfan »

GAME DAY !!

GO YOU RAIDERS !!
I don't post facts
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »