2021 World Cup

Talk about NRL, State of Origin, Tests, Four Nations, World Cup, everything rugby league

Moderator: GH Moderators

-TW-
Mal Meninga

Re: 2021 World Cup

Post by -TW- »

Australia and New Zealand have withdrawn.

ARLC and NZRL joint Rugby League World Cup statement

The Australian Rugby League Commission (ARLC) and New Zealand Rugby League (NZRL) today informed the International Rugby League (IRL) and Rugby League World Cup (RLWC) organisers that Australia and New Zealand will not compete in a 2021 World Cup because of player welfare and safety concerns.

The ARLC and NZRL has again requested the RLWC2021 be postponed until 2022 to minimise risk of players contracting COVID-19 and ensure the best outcome for player wellbeing.

The decision to withdraw from the RLWC2021 comes after considering the risk of COVID-19 infection in the United Kingdom, the worsening environment in Australia and the time a majority of NRL Telstra Premiership players will spend away from home under strict biosecurity conditions prior to the World Cup. The ARLC and NZRL have resolved, that in the present environment the risks to athletes and officials travelling to the UK to participate in the tournament this year are too great, and it is unable to endorse Australia and New Zealand participating in the RLWC in 2021.

ARLC Chairman Peter V’landys AM said player wellbeing and safety must come first.

“Not participating in this year’s World Cup is not a decision the Commission has taken lightly, but we must put the best interests of our players and officials first. Protecting them is our absolute priority,’’ he said.

“In the current environment, the risks to the safety, health and wellbeing of the players and officials travelling from Australia to participate in the tournament this year are insurmountable.

"The majority of NRL players are currently living away from home under difficult biosecurity protocols. They would then be required to remain under protocols and away from home for the duration of the tournament before again quarantining on return to Australia. This is too much to ask our players and officials to do.

“We have again requested the IRL and Rugby League World Cup consider postponing the event until 2022 to enable all players to participate.”

NZRL CEO Greg Peters said the decision to withdraw was in the best interests of players and officials.

“The safety and wellbeing of our people is the main priority, and unfortunately, that cannot be guaranteed to our satisfaction,” he said.

“There are stark differences between how the pandemic is being managed in the UK compared to Australasia and recent developments have highlighted how quickly things can change.

“The tournament organisers have moved heaven and earth to make this work, so it is not an easy decision, but the Covid-19 situation in the UK shows no sign of improving, and it's simply too unsafe to send teams and staff over.

“We understand how disappointing this is for fans and those involved; however player and staff safety remains paramount.”

NRL media release
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

No alternative really.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

I don't get why people are blowing up about this, they're in a bubble at the moment, they'd have to most likely quarantine when they get to England, be in a bubble again (although the super league aren't really enforcing strict measures based on how many games are being canned), come home and quarantine, have a short off season and potentially go back into a bubble again.

**** that

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Phil Graham

Post by FuiFui BradBrad »

greeneyed wrote:No alternative really.
What about a rag-tag team made up of ex-pats already over there?
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has done a superb job - 18/12/2020
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Well c'mon the Kumuls, it's your time to shine.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Shoving it in your face since 2017
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

Fuifui Bradbrad wrote: July 22, 2021, 6:15 pm
They’d probably win it.
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Phil Graham

Post by FuiFui BradBrad »

-PJ- wrote: July 22, 2021, 7:13 pm
Fuifui Bradbrad wrote: July 22, 2021, 6:15 pm
They’d probably win it.
Just for a bit of fun, I've just gone through and made a list of every player resgistered as Australian or New Zealander playing in all 3 tiers of the ESL.
Aus
Backs
Greg Inglis C, FB, FE
Jy Hitchcox W, FB
Kelepi Tanginoa SR, PR
Ken Sio W

Forwards
Adam Cuthbertson LK, PR
Cheyse Blair SR, C
Darcy Lussick PR
Grant Millington PR, SR, LK
Jarrad Stack SR
Jason Clark LK, SR, PR
Joel Thompson SR
Luke Yates PR
Matt Prior PR, LK
Mitch Garbutt PR
Rhys Curran SR

Spine
Adam Quinlan FB
Ben Moores HK
Bevan French FB
Blake Wallace FE
Brandon O'Hagan HB, FB, W
Brendan Elliot FB, C
Jack Cogger FE, HB
Jacob Miller FE, HB
Jai Field FE, HB
James Maloney FE, HB
Josh Drinkwater FE, HB
Josh Reynolds FE, HK
Matt Parcell HK
Nathan Peats HK
Robert Lui FE, HB

NZ
Backs
Dean Whare C
Shaun Kenny-Dowall C, W
Geronimo Doyle FB, C, W

Forwards
Tyler Hepi PR
Bodene Thompson SR, LK
Mark Ioane PR
Nathaniel Peteru PR, SR
Elijah Taylor LK, HK
Mitch Clark PR
FUIFUI MOIMOI PR

Spine
Thomas Leuluai FE, HK, HB
Nikau Williams HB

This list excludes guys like Lachlan Coote, Aiden Sezer and Jarrod Sammut, who are registered as Scottish, Turkish and Maltese as examples.
NZ is a little light, but they could potentially get support from the other Pacific Islands.

Also, with a name like Geronimo Doyle, why isn't he playing in the NRL?!
Last edited by FuiFui BradBrad on July 23, 2021, 2:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has done a superb job - 18/12/2020
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
the bone
John Ferguson

Post by the bone »

I feel like this makes the World Cup more interesting. England would be the favourite but if one of the pacific island teams can get a decent contingent of NRL players to participate, they have a once in a lifetime opportunity to win a World Cup.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Canberra Raiders’ English star Josh Hodgson disappointed in World Cup withdrawals with tournament in doubt

Canberra and England hooker Josh Hodgson insists he wants to play in the Rugby League World Cup, and his club coach Ricky Stuart says he won’t stand in his way.

“If you can try and grow the game and represent your country, then that is what you have got to do whether it is tough or not. I am in a lot different position to the rest of the people going over there. I have family at home (in England) that I can lean on a little bit once we go back. I can’t comment for other nations, but I can just say I hope it goes ahead.”

Read more: https://www.weeklytimesnow.com.au/break ... 976021e781
MrPosh
Clinton Schifcofske
Favourite Player: Whitehead

Post by MrPosh »

Feeling over here is that it will go ahead and that Australia and New Zealand will fall back in line. I hope so, because 2022 just won't work - unless it's in the middle summer and the NRL and SL seasons take a long break.

The Covid numbers that have been cited in the withdrawal email are a bit of a red herring as they're not turning into hospitalisations and deaths.

Assuming a vaccine resistant strain doesn't emerge, I'd expect the UK to be one of the safer places in the world by the time of the tournament.
afgtnk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Crotic

Post by afgtnk »

MrPosh wrote: July 24, 2021, 7:46 pm Feeling over here is that it will go ahead and that Australia and New Zealand will fall back in line. I hope so, because 2022 just won't work - unless it's in the middle summer and the NRL and SL seasons take a long break.

The Covid numbers that have been cited in the withdrawal email are a bit of a red herring as they're not turning into hospitalisations and deaths.

Assuming a vaccine resistant strain doesn't emerge, I'd expect the UK to be one of the safer places in the world by the time of the tournament.
Not sure about that. 7 day moving average for deaths has doubled in the last fortnight, and there's still 45% of the population still not fully vaccinated.

Granted Australia's managed our vaccine rollout very poorly, but this strategy from the UK government seems to be a bit of a gamble.
MrPosh
Clinton Schifcofske
Favourite Player: Whitehead

Post by MrPosh »

afgtnk wrote: July 24, 2021, 8:01 pm
MrPosh wrote: July 24, 2021, 7:46 pm Feeling over here is that it will go ahead and that Australia and New Zealand will fall back in line. I hope so, because 2022 just won't work - unless it's in the middle summer and the NRL and SL seasons take a long break.

Not sure about that. 7 day moving average for deaths has doubled in the last fortnight, and there's still 45% of the population still not fully vaccinated.

Granted Australia's managed our vaccine rollout very poorly, but this strategy from the UK government seems to be a bit of a gamble.
Yeah, don't get me wrong. This isn't me lauding the way our government is dealing with this. It's been carnage from beginning to end, with a single bright spot of the vaccine roll out.

I just think that things will arrange themselves in a way that everyone is either vaccinated or has antibodies from having the virus, making the country reasonably low risk.

Although we'll have many instances on Long Covid and will suffer for years.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Canberra Raiders and England forward Elliott Whitehead says the majority of players he's spoken to want to play in 2021 World Cup

Elliot Whitehead says that the majority of players he's spoken to in the NRL want to play in the 2021 World Cup in England.

"To have a World Cup you need them in it. It's a disappointment but hopefully, it still goes ahead and the RFL and World Cup can work on it and change their mind. A lot of the players I've spoken to do want to play. A lot won't get another chance to play in a World Cup so want to be across to play in it."

Read more: https://www.examinerlive.co.uk/sport/ru ... p-21148897

Canberra Raiders star Elliott Whitehead disappointed in Australia's World Cup decision

Elliott Whitehead has expressed his extreme disappointment at Australia and New Zealand pulling out of the World Cup, a decision he says will prove a major setback for international rugby league.

"If it goes ahead without them I'm still willing to put my hand up and go over there for England. Any time I can pull on a jersey for England it's a proud moment for me and my family, I'll definitely be going over there if the World Cup was still on and representing my country."

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14239
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Canberra Raiders join other 15 NRL clubs in calling for postponement of the 2021 World Cup

Rugby league's World Cup appears in serious doubt after all 16 NRL clubs backed Australia and New Zealand withdrawing and indicating they did not want their players to feature.

"We all want to see a strong, safe and successful Rugby League World Cup," Canberra CEO Don Furner said on behalf of all clubs. "It's clear that cannot be achieved in 2021, but we are in strong support for the tournament to be held in 2022. We want the players to come home healthy.

Read more: https://7news.com.au/sport/rugby-league ... -c-3549616

NRL club CEOs call on World Cup organisers to postpone until 2022: https://www.nrl.com/news/2021/07/30/nrl ... ntil-2022/

JOINT WORLD CUP STATEMENT FROM THE 16 NRL CLUBS

The 16 NRL Premiership Clubs have today issued a joint statement confirming support for the Australian Rugby League Commission and New Zealand Rugby League’s decision not to participate in a 2021 Rugby League World Cup.

The 16 clubs are united that it is in best interests of player health, safety, wellbeing and the international game for the World Cup not to proceed in 2021. The support not to play is based on the high COVID-19 infection rate in the United Kingdom and onerous biosecurity and quarantine protocols that would be placed on all players having just completed a lengthy period away from home during the NRL Premiership.

The 16 clubs support the World Cup being delayed until 2022 where it is expected there will be less risk to player health and safety and a stronger competition.

Canberra Raiders Chief Executive Don Furner, speaking on behalf of club CEOs, said clubs supported players attending a World Cup but not at the risk of their health and wellbeing.

“We all want to see a strong, safe and successful Rugby League World Cup. It’s clear that cannot be achieved in 2021, but we are in strong support for the tournament to be held in 2022,’’ he said.

“We want the players to come home healthy. There are two massive challenges here, the UK infection rate is increasing, with the two countries being at different stages of vaccination levels and approach to dealing with the virus. Secondly there are several unknowns in terms of the process and protocols for players who may get exposed to Covid-19 locations and how that may disrupt the tournament, and safe passage home for players without significant risk in terms of isolation and quarantine requirements.”

South Sydney Rabbitohs Chief Executive Blake Solly, also speaking on behalf of Club CEOs, said a 2022 World Cup provided a better platform for players and fans.

“We all support our players reaching the pinnacle of representative football, be it All Stars, state or country. We’re proud of our players representing their nation, we continue to meet our obligations to players when they are on representative duty, but we also need to be sure they will remain healthy when they do,’’ he said.

“The NRL and its clubs have gone to great lengths and invested heavily to ensure our players remain healthy and the competition continues. These measures have been taken with an infection rate in Australia that is minimal when compared to the rate in the UK. This rate of infection is far too high for us to be confident the players will not contract COVID-19 during the World Cup in the UK. Every club and player has experienced great disruption and challenge over the last two seasons, with the players and their families away from home or living under strict protocols for most of this period. To spend another lengthy period away from home, under extremely strict protocols in a nation with a high infection rate and followed by quarantine upon their return to Australia is not a fair ask on the clubs or players.”
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Reports circulating it's been postponed

https://www.hulldailymail.co.uk/sport/r ... ssion=true

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

2021 World Cup officially postponed due to COVID-19 pandemic

Australia and New Zealand are set to be invited to take their places in the World Cup at the end of the 2022 season after tournament organisers agreed to postpone it for 12 months.

The World Cup board met on Wednesday night and reluctantly decided postponement was the best option after the ARLC and NZRL withdrew the Kangaroos, Jillaroos, Kiwis and Kiwi Ferns due to concerns over the safety of players travelling to England this year.

Read more: https://www.nrl.com/news/2021/08/05/202 ... -pandemic/

OFFICIAL STATEMENT

Rugby League World Cup 2021 (RLWC2021) and the UK Government have today announced their intention to stage the flagship event in the international Rugby League calendar in 2022.

The extremely difficult decision was taken by the RLWC2021 Board, which includes representation from the Department for Digital, Culture, Media and Sport, and the International Rugby League (IRL) Board.

This follows extensive and urgent consultation conducted by RLWC2021 Chief Executive Officer Jon Dutton and his team, which engaged players, competing nations, the Rugby League Players Association (Australia), UK Government, hosts, commercial and broadcast partners.

Tournament organisers faced several unique and complex challenges with the most significant being the non-release of up to 400 players, match officials and staff members from the NRL competition in Australia. This is despite all requests from international rugby league federations having been met which included the rigorous health measures that have been keeping thousands of elite athletes from around the world safe whilst competing in major sporting events across the UK over the last year.

Ultimately this decision has been detrimental to the plans and ambitions of many of the competing nations and potential replacement teams. A key factor was ensuring that fans of Rugby League are able to enjoy the best possible tournament, which was not possible under these circumstances.

We are working hard to confirm new tournament arrangements including ticket details and availability and will be providing updates as soon as can. Fans can sign-up to receive postponement updates, including new dates and schedule here.

Jon Dutton, RLWC2021 Chief Executive Officer, said:

“Today is a challenging moment for everyone involved in Rugby League, but most importantly the players and fans of the competing nations.

“Ultimately, time and competing priorities from others forced us to make the most difficult decision in our six-year history. However, we and the sport of Rugby League are resilient, and next year we will deliver our vision of the biggest and best Rugby League World Cup ever.

“We have always prioritised player voice and player choice. We have established a player working group, met with senior players and in the last few days commissioned a player survey to domestic players in Australia and New Zealand that showed more than 85% wanted to compete at RLWC2021 this year. However, following the disappointing decision of the ARLC and NZRL to withdraw, and the subsequent impact on player availability for other competing nations, it is apparent that delivering the tournament this year would not be feasible.

“The wellbeing of all those involved in the tournament, particularly players and team officials, has been our priority. I would like to thank the RLWC2021 Board and my team for the relentless hard work and extraordinary measures that had been undertaken to create a safe and secure environment in line with other major sports events that have been successfully hosted in the UK this year.

“I would also like to thank all our committed partners as well as the Rugby League community at large who have been so supportive of our trailblazing event. We appreciate the continued and unequivocal support of the UK Government, as well as the understanding of our competing nations.

Chris Brindley, RLWC2021 Chair, added:

“This process has shown that the RLWC Board are responsible leaders who have put the solidarity and unity of the sport first. The Board will now seek the commitment and alignment of all key partners immediately to deliver a clear timetable for the tournament next year.

“Now is the time for everyone who loves our game to come together, to show that Rugby League deserves its place on the international stage, and that the RLWC is a tournament we can all be proud of.”
Troy Grant, IRL Chair, said:

“On behalf of the whole international Rugby League community, I must thank Jon Dutton, Chris Brindley and their team for their unstinting efforts. I know that their focus is now on 2022. I also place on record our thanks to the UK Government, our sponsors and partners for their support throughout this whole process. They have been outstanding and understanding friends and we look forward to continuing the journey with them.

“We must now move forward quickly from this point to build confidence in our sport internationally and to seize the opportunity which still presents itself; to deliver the best Rugby League World Cup ever. I look forward to 2022 and the future with optimism and a renewed focus on the importance of international Rugby League for all our members large and small.

“We have seen the success that the Olympic Games and the Euro 2020 championship experienced after their postponements, and we are all determined to deliver the best Rugby League World Cup ever in 2022.”

Sports Minister Nigel Huddleston said:

“I am disappointed that we've needed to take the decision to delay the Rugby League World Cup. Despite working tirelessly to explore solutions that would allow us to go ahead as planned, circumstances beyond our control have meant that postponing the Rugby League World Cup until next year is the strongest option for staging a successful tournament.

"In the best interests of the sport and its millions of supporters around the world, I look forward to the Rugby League authorities in all competing nations accommodating a rearranged tournament in 2022, so we can put on the spectacle the fans deserve.”

Information on the rescheduling of the tournament and new dates will be released by organisers in due course. For the latest news and ticketing updates sign-up via rlwc2021.com/signup.

For existing ticket holders details regarding the next steps for ticket transfers and refunds will be provided directly by no later than 12 August 2021.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Revised draw for Rugby League World Cup released

RLWC2021 organisers have announced new dates and some venue changes for the rescheduled tournament, which will conclude with the men’s and women’s finals at Old Trafford on November 19 and the wheelchair final also in Manchester on November 18.

Read more: https://www.nrl.com/news/2021/11/19/kiw ... world-cup/

Men's Draw

Group A
Oct 15: England v Samoa at St James Park, Newcastle
Oct 17: France v Greece at Keepmoat Stadium, Doncaster
Oct 22: England v France at University of Bolton Stadium
Oct 23: Samoa v Greece at Keepmoat Stadium, Doncaster
Oct 29: England v Greece at Bramall Lane, Sheffield
Oct 30: Samoa v France at Halliwell Jones Stadium, Warrington

Group B
Oct 15: Australia v Fiji at Headingley Stadium, Leeds
Oct 16: Scotland v Italy at Kingston Park, Newcastle
Oct 21: Australia v Scotland at Ricoh Arena, Coventry
Oct 22: Fiji v Italy at Kingston Park, Newcastle
Oct 29: Fiji v Scotland at Kingston Park, Newcastle
Oct 29: Australia v Italy at Totally Wicked Stadium, St Helens

Group C
Oct 16: Jamaica v Ireland at Headingley Stadium, Leeds
Oct 16: NZ v Lebanon at Halliwell Jones Stadium, Warrington
Oct 22: NZ v Jamaica at MKM Stadium, Hull
Oct 23: Lebanon v Ireland at Leigh Sports Village
Oct 28: NZ v Ireland at Headlingley Stadium, Leeds
Oct 30: Lebanon v Jamaica at Leigh Sports Village

Group D
Oct 18: Tonga v PNG at Totally Wicked Stadium, St Helens
Oct 19: Wales v Cook Islands at Leigh Sports Village
Oct 24: Tonga v Wales at Totally Wicked Stadium, St Helens
Oct 25: PNG v Cook Islands at Halliwell Jones Stadium, Warrington
Oct 30: Tonga v Cook Islands at Riverside Stadium, Middlesbrough
Oct 31: PNG v Wales at Keepmoat Stadium, Doncaster

Nov 4: Quarter-Final 1 (Winner B v Runner-Up C) at John Smith's Stadium, Huddersfield
Nov 5: Quarter-Final 2 (Winner A/RU A v Runner-Up D/Winner D) at DW Stadium, Wigan
Nov 5: Quarter-Final 3 (Winner C v RU B) at MKM Stadium, Hull
Nov 6: Quarter-Final 4 (Winner A/RU A v RU D/Winner D) at University of Bolton Stadium

Nov 11: Semi-Final 1 (Winner QF1 v Winner QF 3) at Elland Road, Leeds
Nov 12: Semi-Final 2 Winner QF 2 v Winner QF 4) at Emirates Stadium, London

Nov 19: Final at Old Trafford, Manchester

Women's Draw

Group A
Nov 1: England v Brazil at Headingley Stadium, Leeds
Nov 1: PNG v Canada at Headingley Stadium, Leeds
Nov 5: England v Canada at DW Stadium, Wigan
Nov 5: PNG v Brazil at MKM Stadium, Hull
Nov 9: Canada v Brazil at Headingley Stadium, Leeds
Nov 9: England v PNG at Headingley Stadium, Leeds

Group B
Nov 2: NZ v France at LNER Community Stadium, York
Nov 2: Australia v Cook Islands at LNER Community Stadium, York
Nov 6: NZ v Cook Islands at LNER Community Stadium, York
Nov 6: Australia v France at LNER Community Stadium, York
Nov 10: France v Cook Islands at LNER Community Stadium, York
Nov 10: Australia v NZ at LNER Community Stadium, York

Nov 14: Semi-Final 1 at LNER Community Stadium, York
Nov 14: Semi-Final 2 at LNER Community Stadium, York

Nov 19: Final at Old Trafford, Manchester

Wheelchair draw

Group A
Nov 3: Spain v Norway at Copper Box Arena, London
Nov 3: England v Australia at Copper Box Arena, London
Nov 6: England v Spain at Copper Box Arena, London
Nov 6: Australia v Norway at Copper Box Arena, London
Nov 9: Australia v Spain at Copper Box Arena, London
Nov 9: England v Norway at Copper Box Arena, London

Group B
Nov 4: France v Wales at English Institute of Sport, Sheffield
Nov 4: Scotland v USA at English Institute of Sport, Sheffield
Nov 7: France v Scotland at English Institute of Sport, Sheffield
Nov 7: Wales v USA at English Institute of Sport, Sheffield
Nov 10: France v USA at English Institute of Sport, Sheffield
Nov 10: Wales v Scotland at English Institute of Sport, Sheffield

Nov 13: Semi-Final 1 (Winner B v RU A) at English Institute of Sport, Sheffield
Nov 13: Semi-Final 2 (Winner A v RU B) at English Institute of Sport, Sheffield

Nov 18: Final at Manchester Central, Manchester
Bay53
Steve Walters

Post by Bay53 »

Did anyone notice that Australia and New Zealand CANT play each other in the final? Teams from group B (Australia) and Group C (NZ) can only play in the semi in Leeds.

Similarly teams from group A (England) and Group D (Tonga) can play in the semi at Arsenal.
Bay53
Steve Walters

Post by Bay53 »

Tempted to go to this. Two Champions League rounds midweek in the tournament too - lots of frequent flyer points and a big leave balance - very tempting.
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

I don't even know where to put this...

Post by BadnMean »

Vlandy's has made himself a national selector.

Fantastic move I say, the International game needs more Vlandys! Long may his reign of terror continue, more Vlandys the better. I also think both teams should have to run one play per half specifically designed by Vlandys, to promote the kind of rugbuh leage he wants to see.

Peter V’landys to join Kangaroos selection panel alongside Origin coaches

Australian Rugby League Commission chairman Peter V’landys will assume the Kangaroos’ chairman of selectors role and both State of Origin coaches will join Mal Meninga on the panel as Australia plot their World Cup defence later this year.

Read more: https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/peter- ... 5aqe2.html[/url]
Sid
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Shannon Boyd

2021 World Cup

Post by Sid »

I hate the idea of V’landys meddling with the Australian team selections
Would have won Boogs - 2016, 2017, 2018

1 part green, 1 part machine
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

It's quite a take over V'Landys is engaging with, isnt it?
Sooner or later he declare himself the supreme emperor and Putin this RL ****
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

Botman wrote: June 2, 2022, 10:39 am It's quite a take over V'Landys is engaging with, isnt it?
Sooner or later he declare himself the supreme emperor and Putin this RL ****
"I AM THE SENATE!"
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

Vlandys should coach the Dogs.
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Canberra Raiders prop Josh Papalii leaning towards Samoa for World Cup

Josh Papalii's leaning towards playing for Samoa in this year's World Cup. That's if he even has a choice - the Canberra Raiders enforcer didn't think he'd be in the mix for Australia anyway.

"I'm not sure yet. I'm definitely leaning towards playing for Samoa," Papalii said. "I mentioned a few months ago I didn't have the best World Cup in '17 and I'd love to rewrite those games for the motherland.

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Fox League and Kayo gain exclusive rights to World Cup, will showcase 61 end of season matches – 31 men’s, 15 women’s and 15 wheelchair games from England between October 15 to November 19: https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport ... 5aa396f7d8
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Kangaroos dealt World Cup blow as another star, Canberra Raiders prop Josh Papalii, commits to Samoa

Canberra Raiders prop Josh Papalii has reportedly pledged his allegiance to Samoa for the upcoming Rugby League World Cup held in England later this year.

“As an older player, I feel like it’s a movement I just don’t want to be missing out on,” Papalii said. “I have put my hand up to play for Samoa. Mal Meninga knows that and I’ve had a coffee with Mal as well to speak about what I’m planning to do ... but that’s a long way from here, anything can happen in the next hopefully eight weeks.”

Read more: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... b71f44c380

Papalii commits to Samoa for World Cup: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14274
Dusty
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Past:Daley
Present: Hodgson

Post by Dusty »

Hope they don’t have an open buffet again

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2020: 1. Nicol-Klokstad 2. Cotric 3. Croker (c) 4 Leilua 5. Scott 6. Wighton 7. G. Williams 8. Papalii 9. Hodgson (c) 10. Sutton 11. J. Bateman 12. Whitehead 13. Tapine ----
14. Simmonson 15. Soliola 16. Guler 17. Horsburgh
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Canberra Raiders legend Mal Meninga backs Josh Papalii's World Cup call

Australia coach Mal Meninga has given Josh Papalii his blessing to play for Samoa at the World Cup.

"I'm happy for him to go to Samoa. Go where your heart is because that's where you're going to get your best performance," Meninga said. "From a Kangaroos point-of-view I want players to be committed to the green-and-gold jersey.

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Canberra Raiders second rower Hudson Young on Mal Meninga's Kangaroos World Cup radar

Canberra Raiders' boom back-rower Hudson Young is in the mix for Mal Meninga's World Cup squad.

"I think Jack Wighton and Hudson Young have done enough to be on the radar," Meninga said. "Young's been great. I'm surprised he wasn't in the calculations for NSW to be honest with you. The back end of his year has been really good."

President Clinton
Dean Lance
Favourite Player: Clinton Schifcofske

Post by President Clinton »

The 'expert' analysis in Rugby League is so so so poor!

This article has the predicted squad of 24. There is only one half listed, Liam Martin is in the #11 jersey and there is one prop on the bench.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... 22c46caea8

Awful!
Sid
Ricky Stuart

Post by Sid »

My Aus side, subject to change
(Not what I expect to be picked)

1. Tedesco (c)
2. Holmes
3. Wighton
4. Mitchell
5. Sua'ali'i
6. Munster
7. Cleary (k)
8. Hass
9. Grant
10. Fa'asuamaleaui
11. Murray
12. Nanai
13. Yeo

14. Hunt (vc)
15. Carrigan
16. Campbell-Gillard
17. Young

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Sid
Ricky Stuart

Post by Sid »

greeneyed wrote:Canberra Raiders second rower Hudson Young on Mal Meninga's Kangaroos World Cup radar

Canberra Raiders' boom back-rower Hudson Young is in the mix for Mal Meninga's World Cup squad.

"I think Jack Wighton and Hudson Young have done enough to be on the radar," Meninga said. "Young's been great. I'm surprised he wasn't in the calculations for NSW to be honest with you. The back end of his year has been really good."

NRL.com posted on social media asking fans if they think Hudson Young deserves an Australian jersey and it appears a LOT of people thought he was a pom up until now

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

He does look like Ryan Sutton.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Canberra Raiders rookies in New Zealand Kiwis sights for World Cup

In form Raiders rookies Matthew Timoko and Sebastian Kris may be playing for a World Cup berth in Friday night's semi-final against Parramatta after being named in an extended Kiwis squad.

Timoko, 22, and Kris, 23, are the only two members of the 34-man squad yet to pull on a New Zealand jersey, with Bulldogs hooker Jeremy Marshall-King and Eels winger Bailey Simonsson having played in the 2019 World Nines.

Read more: https://www.nrl.com/news/2022/09/15/rai ... world-cup/

Semi Valemei named in star-studded Fiji World Cup squad: https://www.nrl.com/news/2022/09/07/kor ... cup-squad/

New Zealand Kiwis squad
Nelson Asofa-Solomona (Melbourne Storm)
Jesse Bromwich (Melbourne Storm)
Kenny Bromwich (Melbourne Storm)
Dylan Brown (Parramatta Eels)
James Fisher-Harris (Penrith Panthers)
Kieran Foran (Manly-Warringah Sea Eagles)
Braden Hamlin-Uele (Cronulla Sharks)
Corey Harawira-Naera (Canberra Raiders)
Peta Hiku (North Queensland Cowboys)
Jahrome Hughes (Melbourne Storm)
Shaun Johnson (Warriors)
Sebastian Kris* (Canberra Raiders)
Moses Leota (Penrith Panthers)
Isaac Liu (Gold Coast Titans)
Joseph Manu (Sydney Roosters)
Jeremy Marshall-King (Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs)
Te Maire Martin (Brisbane Broncos)
Ken Maumalo (Wests Tigers)
Ronaldo Mulitalo (Cronulla Sharks)
Griffin Neame (North Queensland Cowboys)
Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad (Canberra Raiders)
Briton Nikora (Cronulla Sharks)
Kodi Nikorima (South Sydney Rabbitohs)
Marata Niukore (Parramatta Eels)
Isaiah Papali'i (Parramatta Eels)
Jordan Rapana (Canberra Raiders)
Jordan Riki* (Brisbane Broncos)
Bailey Simonsson* (Parramatta Eels)
Brandon Smith (Melbourne Storm)
Scott Sorensen* (Penrith Panthers)
Joseph Tapine (Canberra Raiders)
Matthew Timoko* (Canberra Raiders)
Jared Waerea-Hargreaves (Sydney Roosters)
Dallin Watene-Zelezniak (Warriors)
* Denotes yet to make Kiwis debut

Fiji Bati squad
Waqa Blake (Parramatta Eels)
Reagan Campbell-Gillard (Parramatta Eels)
Tui Kamikamica (Melbourne Storm)
Vuate Karawalevu (Sydney Roosters)
Viliame Kikau (Penrith Panthers)
Apisai Koroisau (Penrith Panthers)
Lamar Manuel Liolevave (Tweed Seagulls)
Joe Lovodua (Hull FC)
Isaac Lumelume (Canterbury Bulldogs)
Netane Masima (Wests Magpies)
Laitia Moceidreke (NQ Cowboys)
Sitiveni Moceidreke (London Broncos)
Taane Milne (South Sydney Rabbitohs)
Marcelo Montoya (NZ Warriors)
Kevin Naiqama (Sydney Roosters)
Ben Nakubuwai (Leigh Centurions)
Jason Qareqare (Castleford Tigers)
Mikaele Ravalawa (St George Illawarra Dragons)
Taniela Sadrugu (NQ Cowboys)
Daniel Saifiti (Newcastle Knights)
Jacob Saifiti (Newcastle Knights)
Pio Seci (Manly Sea Eagles)
Korbin Sims (Hull KR)
Tariq Sims (St George Illawarra Dragons)
Maika Sivo (Parramatta Eels)
Penioni Tagituimua (Canterbury Bulldogs)
Sunia Turuva (Penrith Panthers)
Joseph Vakacereivalu (Redcliffe Dolphins)
Semi Valemei (Canberra Raiders)
King Vuniyayawa (Salford Reds)
Ratu Inoke Vasuturaga (Kinoya Eagles)
Brandon Wakeham (Canterbury Bulldogs)
Siua Wong (Sydney Roosters)