The Politics Thread 2015

Discuss all the events of the day

Moderator: GH Moderators

T_R
Don Furner

Re: The Politics Thread

Post by T_R »

God. That's deep.

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
Schifty
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson

Post by Schifty »

T_R wrote:God. That's deep.
iran not muslim country muslim country lives under sharia law
#theverdict legalise marijuana its no worse than alcohol and has proven to be beneficial for medicinal purposes
I've been trolled by Manbush.
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

$50 bucks says the two of you eventually move in together.

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

In other news, it appears that the Russian pilots are now in kit form.

A little NSFW, if you are queasy.

https://twitter.com/allsory_allhor/stat ... 6624689152

Schifty
Laurie Daley

Post by Schifty »

T_R wrote:$50 bucks says the two of you eventually move in together.
More chance of me and you opening a Shoe repair store in Vancouver.

Ohh and I don't think I want to click that twitter link..

Anyway apparently this is the flight tracker, blue border I'm guessing is Turkey's space? Again CNN deliver with their detail to labeling

Last edited by Schifty on November 24, 2015, 8:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

Holy ****!

The red line appeared to go over the blue line and there's black all over the place and a little green box and some grey!

**** should nuke Ankara.

Schifty
Laurie Daley

Post by Schifty »

T_R wrote:Holy ****!

The red line appeared to go over the blue line and there's black all over the place and a little green box and some grey!

**** should nuke Ankara.

Can we just agree to take out CNN turkey for giving us that image?
Green eyed Mick
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Brett Mullins

Post by Green eyed Mick »

Schifty wrote:UPDATE The decision to shoot down Russian jet was taken "directly" by the Turkish Prime Minister.

UPDATE Two pilots ejected from downed plane, one captured by Syria rebels: Turkish reports.

UPDATE Russian Defense Ministry says it can prove the aircraft was over Syria for whole flight

http://www.airlive.net/2015/11/alert-un ... ashes.html

oh ****.....
You would think if the Russian jet was shot down in Turkish Airspace the pilots would have ejected over Turkey and been captured in Turkey.
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

I was hoping that is was an SU-35 shot down, so I could go back to mocking GEM and his knowledge of fighter planes.

It would have been nice if some good had come from this :(

Schifty
Laurie Daley

Post by Schifty »

Russia releasing a statement... and being calm? about it... I don't think this is necessarily a good thing..

Manbush
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Luke Turner

Post by Manbush »

Schifty wrote:
T_R wrote:God. That's deep.
iran not muslim country muslim country lives under sharia law
#theverdict legalise marijuana its no worse than alcohol and has proven to be beneficial for medicinal purposes
I've been trolled by Manbush.
If I had Twitter id be all over your feed :lol:

On Iran one of the floaters for our company is a Christian refugee from there (he insists on calling it Persia though), interesting bloke to work with for his inside views on the country.
I bow down to thee oh great Nickman, the wisest of the wise, your political adroitness is unsurpassed, your sagacity is unmatched, your wisdom shines through on this forum amongst us mere mortals as bright as your scalp under the light of a full moon, never shall I doubt your analytical prowess again. You are my hero, my lord, my savior, may you accept my offerings so you continue to bless us with your genius.
Archer
David Furner
Favourite Player: Boxhead

Post by Archer »

Manbush wrote:
On Iran one of the floaters for our company is a Christian refugee from there (he insists on calling it Persia though).
This is pretty amongst the Farsi speaking population isn't it?
Also I think I played that game on the old Megadrive Shifty, maybe Turkey CNN were looking in the wrong screenshot folder.

Seriously though I don't even know what to say at this point, some of the reports coming out seem pretty crazy.
'Turkmen forces shot dead pilots as they parachuted'
Posted at 14:39
The deputy commander of a Turkmen brigade in Syria says his forces shot dead two pilots of the downed Russian jet as they descended with parachutes, says Reuters.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/world-mi ... t-34908469

Now I don't know much about this so I stand to look like a fool, but this seems like a pretty wrong thing to do to me.
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

Archer wrote:
Manbush wrote:
On Iran one of the floaters for our company is a Christian refugee from there (he insists on calling it Persia though).
This is pretty amongst the Farsi speaking population isn't it?
Also I think I played that game on the old Megadrive Shifty, maybe Turkey CNN were looking in the wrong screenshot folder.

Seriously though I don't even know what to say at this point, some of the reports coming out seem pretty crazy.
'Turkmen forces shot dead pilots as they parachuted'
Posted at 14:39
The deputy commander of a Turkmen brigade in Syria says his forces shot dead two pilots of the downed Russian jet as they descended with parachutes, says Reuters.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/world-mi ... t-34908469

Now I don't know much about this so I stand to look like a fool, but this seems like a pretty wrong thing to do to me.
My advice to pilots in general is not to parachute in on top of the people you were just napalm.

They tend to be a little miffed.

Schifty
Laurie Daley

Post by Schifty »

This is the last thing we need..

Armed men have taken hostages after gun shots were fired in the northern French town of Roubaix, a police source said.

It was not immediately clear whether the gunmen were linked to the attacks in Paris on November 13.

"An operation is underway after hostages were taken. Gunshots were fired and the neighbourhood has been cordoned off," the source told Reuters.

Read more: http://mobile.abc.net.au/news/2015-11-2 ... ix/6971218
Schifty
Laurie Daley

Post by Schifty »

Now there's also this.
https://twitter.com/smh/status/669241612694876162

Radar image shows shot-down Russian jet did fly into Turkish airspace - but only for about 10 seconds. https://t.co/UgInTAdmVI
If they were in it for 10 seconds it's a bit hard to buy the "we warned them 10 times" tale..
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

Schifty wrote:This is the last thing we need..

Armed men have taken hostages after gun shots were fired in the northern French town of Roubaix, a police source said.

It was not immediately clear whether the gunmen were linked to the attacks in Paris on November 13.

"An operation is underway after hostages were taken. Gunshots were fired and the neighbourhood has been cordoned off," the source told Reuters.

Read more: http://mobile.abc.net.au/news/2015-11-2 ... ix/6971218
If you're NOT a terrorist, France is a really, really bad place and this is a really, really bad time to be taking hostages at gunpoint. I imagine the police are quite.....tense.

Schifty
Laurie Daley

Post by Schifty »

Apparently it is a bank manager and his family taken hostage?

It French authorities get a open shot it's pretty obvious they will be taking it.
Last edited by Schifty on November 25, 2015, 6:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

Damn them all to hell. I have successfully managed to mainly avoid the news for about ten years now, in the last few weeks I've been glued to it
Schifty
Laurie Daley

Post by Schifty »

Oh and there has also been another bombing in Tunisia..
Green eyed Mick
Laurie Daley

Schifty wrote:Now there's also this.

Radar image shows shot-down Russian jet did fly into Turkish airspace - but only for about 10 seconds. https://t.co/UgInTAdmVI
If they were in it for 10 seconds it's a bit hard to buy the "we warned them 10 times" tale..
The strip of Turkish land they flew across is about 1km wide which makes the Turkish version of events difficult to swallow.
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

Green eyed Mick wrote:
Schifty wrote:Now there's also this.

The strip of Turkish land they flew across is about 1km wide which makes the Turkish version of events difficult to swallow.
I think the Turkish point is that they've warned them over and over again to stop.

Of course, it's just an excuse - the Russians are bombing ethnic Turkmen, who are traditional allies of the Turkish. I imagine that the Turks have been hanging on having a chance at taking a shot at them.

Schifty
Laurie Daley

Post by Schifty »

Did Turkey just say they'll even intercept a bird if it enters their airspace?

F16 vs a seagull is most lopsided fight ever.
Green eyed Mick
Laurie Daley

The big problem in Syria is everyone has a different view of what victory looks like.
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

Green eyed Mick wrote:The big problem in Syria is everyone.
Fixed
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Schifty wrote: UPDATE Two pilots ejected from downed plane, one captured by Syria rebels: Turkish reports.
The good rebels or the bad ones?
Shoving it in your face since 2017
Green eyed Mick
Laurie Daley

Clearly this guy is a scholar of 1800's Australian History.
Green eyed Mick
Laurie Daley

Gerg wrote:
Schifty wrote: UPDATE Two pilots ejected from downed plane, one captured by Syria rebels: Turkish reports.
There are US backed rebels, Turkish backed rebels, Al Qaeda backed rebels but there are no good rebels. That is why Syria is destined to be a complete balls up like Afghanistan and Iraq
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

The best thing about Syria compared to Iraq and Afghanistan though, is that it's slowly drawing the whole world into the conflict
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

Green eyed Mick wrote:
Gerg wrote:
There are US backed rebels, Turkish backed rebels, Al Qaeda backed rebels but there are no good rebels. That is why Syria is destined to be a complete balls up like Afghanistan and Iraq
It's really very simple and straight-forward. The Economist has pitched in with this helpful infographic:

http://www.economist.com/blogs/graphicd ... asternmesh

The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Nice work, TR. I didn't realise Iran and the US were on the same sides in Iraq

The more you know
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

The Nickman wrote:Nice work, TR. I didn't realise Iran and the US were on the same sides in Iraq

The more you know
Must have caused them huge embarrassment

The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

At least they're on opposite sides in Yemen and Syria though

Phew!!
Schifty
Laurie Daley

Post by Schifty »

For those who need a quick of what happened last night

Green eyed Mick
Laurie Daley

There is no way the Russians will go to war with Turkey over this. At worst they will cut off their gas supplies and kill off some poor Turkish geriatrics.
Schifty
Laurie Daley

Post by Schifty »

Seems like Syrian gov forces found the other Russian pilot.

That guy needs to buy lottery tickets.