Moderator: GH Moderators

Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Re: One signal will put an end to all religions

Post by Dr Zaius »

T_R wrote:
Pigman wrote:
Manbush wrote:
Pigman wrote:Or to hit closer to his core his support of prostitution helps foster an environment which creates sex slavery

Basically manbush is a contributor of slavery and rape. What a **** piece

Where to even begin with his contribution of the illegal drug trade and all that goes a long with that
Not where prostitution is legal and regulated, when it's illegal I would totally agree.

Drugs yes can't disagree, but once legal and regulated that would be another issue.

TRs rape claim, men who don't stand against rape (just like religions who don't stand against discrimination, oppression etc) do contribute.
Listen, I don't think a slaver and rapist is in a position to judge religion, that's all
Careful Pigman....he's killed before.
Manbush
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Luke Turner

Post by Manbush »

I think the liberal Christian in brackets defines it.
simo wrote:Why though? In the end you know theyre just going into their own space and asking their imaginary friend to look after you. Hows that hurt you?
If they don't know I'm atheist no worries honest mistake otherwise they are asking an imaginary friend they know full well wants to see me tortured for eternity (most denominations Dubbys appears different), deliberately or naively being rude like the phrase gives them some moral high ground. A lot of it depends on the scenario it's used though be it a disagreement with a theist or sickness or someone's died.

As I said earlier the simple fact some choose deliberately to love and worship something that would send anyone no matter how good they are to eternal torture is offensive then to choose to use that as some kind of well wishing (in some cases) is just plain wrong. If you don't agree with the punishment then don't love and worship it by doing so you are condoning that act.

I will reiterate Dubbys belief isn't of that kind of god so he doesn't have to try and juggle with that congnitive dissonance but those that do its one hell of a juggling act to rationalise it. Some will say it's a choice but love me or be tortured for eternity is not a choice it's blackmail and a sign of an abusive relationship.

Honestly if someone uses it to me I don't get abusive or rude I just return the well wish with something equally absurd like I'll write a letter to Santa for you or I'll fart for you, though mum I know doesn't have that long to go and I'll be honest I can see myself either cracking it or really having to hold back when someone says it.
I bow down to thee oh great Nickman, the wisest of the wise, your political adroitness is unsurpassed, your sagacity is unmatched, your wisdom shines through on this forum amongst us mere mortals as bright as your scalp under the light of a full moon, never shall I doubt your analytical prowess again. You are my hero, my lord, my savior, may you accept my offerings so you continue to bless us with your genius.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

Manbush wrote: If they don't know I'm atheist no worries honest mistake otherwise they are asking an imaginary friend they know full well wants to see me tortured for eternity (most denominations Dubbys appears different)
By you're own **** words this person who wants to see you tortured for eternity DOESNT **** EXIST! :lol:
How on earth could you possibly be offended by blessing you on behalf someone who doesnt **** exist wanting you to suffer for eternity?

****, you are absolutely ridiculous. RIDICULOUS.

FWIW - My imaginary friend Chilli Mutombo thinks you should burn for all eternity for your contributions to murder, sex slavary, rape assosiated with your whoring and drug use. I've asked him to bless you and he said "Tell him to get ****, i dont give my blessing to rapers, murders and slavers"...
Manbush
Mal Meninga

Post by Manbush »

Whether you believe or not it's the belief you deserve it that is offensive, most insults and abuse are not true to the recipient, if I said all theists deserve to be tortured forever in a prison colony on Mars just because one doesn't exist doesn't mean it's not an insult or offensive to that person.
I bow down to thee oh great Nickman, the wisest of the wise, your political adroitness is unsurpassed, your sagacity is unmatched, your wisdom shines through on this forum amongst us mere mortals as bright as your scalp under the light of a full moon, never shall I doubt your analytical prowess again. You are my hero, my lord, my savior, may you accept my offerings so you continue to bless us with your genius.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

Seiffert82 wrote: Gangrenous, I don't expect you to agree with something you don't want to understand. What you consider to be an 'evil' God in the Old Testament is actually God punishing evil (in quite brutal ways). That is the just and jealous bit. Christians don't worship a namby pamby God. However, the New Testament changes the whole paradigm with our relationship with God and one another, based on love and forgiveness.

You can try to disconnect the good works of Christians from God all you want if it makes you feel happy. To be perfectly honest we've been through all this before. It's a bit tedious and I'm about to go on holidays for a week, so lets just agree to disagree and not go though it all again. :)
I find that quite condescending. I don't disagree with it because I don't want to understand. I disagree with it because I think it is (and you are) wrong.

As an example, how about the story of Lot which I've raised in the other thread before. The guy offers up his daughters to be raped because that's better than homosexuality, and God's like "That's my guy! We'll spare him."

That's not just or jealous. It's really inexplicable as far as I can see.
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

This is just getting weird
The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
Manbush
Mal Meninga

Post by Manbush »

I'm leaving that comment alone Dubby, it's just too easy :lol:
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

gangrenous wrote:
Seiffert82 wrote: Gangrenous, I don't expect you to agree with something you don't want to understand. What you consider to be an 'evil' God in the Old Testament is actually God punishing evil (in quite brutal ways). That is the just and jealous bit. Christians don't worship a namby pamby God. However, the New Testament changes the whole paradigm with our relationship with God and one another, based on love and forgiveness.

You can try to disconnect the good works of Christians from God all you want if it makes you feel happy. To be perfectly honest we've been through all this before. It's a bit tedious and I'm about to go on holidays for a week, so lets just agree to disagree and not go though it all again. :)
I find that quite condescending. I don't disagree with it because I don't want to understand. I disagree with it because I think it is (and you are) wrong.

As an example, how about the story of Lot which I've raised in the other thread before. The guy offers up his daughters to be raped because that's better than homosexuality, and God's like "That's my guy! We'll spare him."

That's not just or jealous. It's really inexplicable as far as I can see.
No, you have convinced yourself that God (which you don't believe in anyway) is evil based on the evil things that humans did in the Bible. Lot is a classic example. He was a flawed human and he gave up his daughters to be raped...and as it turns out, they weren't.

The Bible is full of messed up humans who did awful things to each other. Through it all is a story of salvation and hope. That's why people find relevance in it today, as history repeats itself over and over again. I'm sorry if you were offended by my assertion that you don't want to understand it...it just seems that the only reason you're engaging in this discussion is to repeat the reasons why you think religion is stupid and to try and 'prove' that people who believe in God are stupid. It's the same discussion over and over again, using the same select quotes over and over again. You're free to believe whatever you want.

Anyway, hopefully Australians can have a free vote about same sex marriage so we can all move on and focus on other issues like domestic violence, the treatment of refugees and drug addiction.

Anyway, I'm off to the beach. :)
Last edited by Seiffert82 on October 7, 2015, 8:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
dubby
Don Furner

Post by dubby »

As I understand it, people use stories (like Lot) without knowing the full story or the context to justify their argument and thats all they want to do ; argue. (not aimed directly at anyone).

That's why I lose interest in these debates.
The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga

Post by Seiffert82 »

Yep. Wash, rinse repeat.

Religion is stupid, God is evil, people who believe in God are idiots and hypocrites, Bible bashers shouldn't be allowed to infiltrate the public education system and the world would be a much better place if everybody believed there was no God... and drugs were legalised (because somehow it always comes back to that).

That's why I usually keep these threads to people who want to post random links about aliens and terrorists.
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

I know that this is a massive call, and I expect to be shouted down, but I do believe that this thread could well MB's worst ever effort.

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
dubby
Don Furner

Post by dubby »

At least bushy ain't malicious. I honestly think he had a green cigarette while posting these though.

T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

Oh, I completely agree - howling mad, but generally inoffensively so.

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

T_R wrote:I know that this is a massive call, and I expect to be shouted down, but I do believe that this thread could well MB's worst ever effort.

Hot field. Keen to see which effort brings home the Boogs.
Manbush
Mal Meninga

Post by Manbush »

dubby wrote:At least bushy ain't malicious. I honestly think he had a green cigarette while posting these though.
Nope away in Hervey Bay for the past week and a half so haven't tried to get on (no withdrawals by the way ;) ), so it's all straight posting the green ones will probably start Saturday night when I get home :lol:
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

Ah. There's the issue. You make more sense stoned.

Seiffert82
Mal Meninga

Post by Seiffert82 »

The irony is, if manbush was around 2000 years ago he'd probably be the most likely of any of us to hang out with a dude who was known to turn water into wine, associate with prostitutes and spent much of his time telling the religious leaders of the day that they were hypocritical ***holes.
Manbush
Mal Meninga

Post by Manbush »

I could've been the messiah, Jesus did sound a bit like a hippie, there are thoughts his miracle healing could've been part cannabis oil (fragrant cane) and bread was a word used for mushies, get the masses hallucinating and easy to fool them with even the most basic magic tricks :lol:
dubby
Don Furner

Post by dubby »

Seiffert82 wrote:The irony is, if manbush was around 2000 years ago he'd probably be the most likely of any of us to hang out with a dude who was known to turn water into wine, associate with prostitutes and spent much of his time telling the religious leaders of the day that they were hypocritical ***holes.
That made me laugh

Archer
David Furner
Favourite Player: Boxhead

Post by Archer »

Holy ****, what have I stumbled into. I'd heard about this part of the web before but had never seen it with my own eyes... am I on some government list now?
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

Seiffert82 wrote: No, you have convinced yourself that God (which you don't believe in anyway) is evil based on the evil things that humans did in the Bible.
No, I cannot understand how people rationalise the things put forward in the bible as stuff that would be there if it were actually the word of God.
Seiffert82 wrote: Lot is a classic example. He was a flawed human and he gave up his daughters to be raped...and as it turns out, they weren't.
So no harm no foul then hey? What exactly is the purpose of the story of Lot?
Seiffert82 wrote: The Bible is full of messed up humans who did awful things to each other. Through it all is a story of salvation and hope. That's why people find relevance in it today, as history repeats itself over and over again. I'm sorry if you were offended by my assertion that you don't want to understand it...it just seems that the only reason you're engaging in this discussion is to repeat the reasons why you think religion is stupid and to try and 'prove' that people who believe in God are stupid. It's the same discussion over and over again, using the same select quotes over and over again. You're free to believe whatever you want.
I engaged in this discussion because I thought your reasoning for ignoring the bits you don't like in the old testament is illogical to me. It doesn't fit with a God outside of time.
Seiffert82 wrote: Anyway, hopefully Australians can have a free vote about same sex marriage so we can all move on and focus on other issues like domestic violence, the treatment of refugees and drug addiction.
Amen
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

dubby wrote:As I understand it, people use stories (like Lot) without knowing the full story or the context to justify their argument and thats all they want to do ; argue. (not aimed directly at anyone).

That's why I lose interest in these debates.
I think a lot of people use "You don't understand the context" as a cop out for responding to legitimate questions. Instead of saying that, why not a brief sentence on what the context is?

But I am happy to argue, I find it fun. You've got me pegged on that one. :D
Notaroboticfish
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Royce Hunt

Post by Notaroboticfish »

Archer wrote:Holy ****, what have I stumbled into. I'd heard about this part of the web before but had never seen it with my own eyes... am I on some government list now?
Welcome, we've been expecting you.
Manbush
Mal Meninga

Post by Manbush »

gangrenous wrote:
Seiffert82 wrote: No, you have convinced yourself that God (which you don't believe in anyway) is evil based on the evil things that humans did in the Bible.
No, I cannot understand how people rationalise the things put forward in the bible as stuff that would be there if it were actually the word of God.

Id go further, it's not the evil things humans did in the bible that convinces me god is evil it's the things God did (also told his followers to do). For example the complete genocide of the human race except for one family, if God is so powerful why resort to a flood which would destroy all humans good and bad and animals, couldn't he have just made the bad ones die on the spot, the killing of all babies is down right evil and not justifiable.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

Hello123 wrote:
Archer wrote:Holy ****, what have I stumbled into. I'd heard about this part of the web before but had never seen it with my own eyes... am I on some government list now?
Welcome, we've been expecting you.
Wait until he sees the actual religion thread...
Botman
Mal Meninga

One signal will put an end to all religions

Post by Botman »

Manbush wrote:
gangrenous wrote:

Id go further, it's not the evil things humans did in the bible that convinces me god is evil it's the things God did (also told his followers to do). For example the complete genocide of the human race except for one family, if God is so powerful why resort to a flood which would destroy all humans good and bad and animals, couldn't he have just made the bad ones die on the spot, the killing of all babies is down right evil and not justifiable.
But God doesn't exist
It literally doesn't matter what he did or didn't do if you believe the bible to be a fictional story! It's like getting really upset at how evil the bad guy in the Avengers is! Hahaha
Manbush
Mal Meninga

Post by Manbush »

No but if otherwise good sane people loved and worshiped Ultron, tried to have our laws based upon him, tried to indoctrinate children into worshiping him through fear and intimidation, tried to get in the way of medical and scientific research, education, kill, oppress and discriminate and claimed Ultron to be a "loving kind just being" who is clearly the opposite it'd be a concern. Being able to justify complete genocide is **** up, if you can justify that you can justify anything.

Kudos for the example you used, Ultron wanted to destroy all humanity good and bad to save them from themselves, not sure if it was deliberate but it's a great comparison.