Discuss all the events of the day

Moderator: GH Moderators

BrisbaneRaider
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Jarrod Croker

Oscar Pistorius 'shot girlfriend' dead

Post by BrisbaneRaider »

Oscar Pistorius 'shot girlfriend' dead: report

Paralympic gold medallist Oscar Pistorius has shot and killed his girlfriend, South African media are reporting. Afrikaans-language newspaper Beeld is reporting he mistook Reeva Steenkamp, his girlfriend of a year, for a burglar to his Pretoria home. Johannesburg's Talk Radio 702 said Pistorius was understood to have shot Steenkamp in the head and arm.

Police spokesman Katlego Mogale said a "26-year-old man had been taken into custody for shooting a 30-year-old woman". Mogale could not confirm if the suspect was Pistorius, saying his identity would be revealed only once he appears in court later on Thursday. "The deceased was shot four times and died on the scene. It is believed that she was the girlfriend of the accused," said Mogale. Beeld said Pistorius had been arrested, and was expected to appear in the Pretoria Magistrate's Court on Thursday. Beeld reported that the incident had occurred at 4am local time. His girlfriend's body had been taken from his property in a hearse just over four hours later.

Pistorius lives in the Silver Wood Estate complex which markets itself a "new prestigious security estate" that has 24 hour security. Media has been kept out of the estate by police. Pistorius, who races wearing carbon fibre prosthetic blades after he was born without a fibula in both legs, was the first double amputee to run in the Olympics and reached the 400 metres semi-finals in London 2012. Nicknamed 'the Blade Runner', the 26-year-old has been a trailblazer for disabled athletes, and was hailed as an inspiration by many of the able-bodied athletes during the London Games. Pistorius has won eight Paralympic medals across three Olympics, comprising six gold, one silver and one bronze. He won two Paralympic golds and a silver in London. Pistorius went on to carry the flag for South Africa in the Closing Ceremony, before winning two golds and a silver in the Paralympics. He was due to arrive in Australia on March 6 and was scheduled to compete in able-bodied 400m events in Sydney on March 9 and Perth on March 16.

http://www.smh.com.au/sport/oscar-pisto ... 2efj6.html
Begbie
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Smash Williams

Re: Oscar Pistorius 'shot girlfriend' dead

Post by Begbie »

That would really suck. Shooting your girlfriend dead after mistaking her for a home intruder. If its true, poor bloke- you would struggle to live with yourself after that one.
Michael
Mal Meninga

Post by Michael »

And that is why anyone who owns a gun is a **** idiot.
Rick
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: Daley

Post by Rick »

Michael wrote:And that is why anyone who owns a gun is a **** idiot.
That's a dumb thing to say. What about knives?

People have run over their kids with cars, are cars owners dumb?

It's tragic is all it is.
Please
Gary Belcher

Post by Please »

Rick wrote:

Too right. They are putting fuels into the atmosphere and destroying it.
Well, at least Jack got paid.
Begbie
Laurie Daley

Post by Begbie »

I'm with Michael on this one. Guns cause more problems than they are worth. Knives and cars are primarily used for other things that are useful in life. Guns are just useful for killing really, and occasionally for sport shooting , I wonder i Oscar had his gun locked away for sports shooting?
Professor
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: Bae

Post by Professor »

4 rounds? 4 **** rounds before he realised it was his partner of 12 months?
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

Rick wrote:

No, your post is a dumb thing to say.

How many people mistakenly stab someone? How much more utility do cars bring to the world than guns in people's homes.

Ridiculous post.

Edit - I see Begbie already said much the same thing in a less offensive way :)
Schifty
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson

Post by Schifty »

x2.

If you live in suburbia you have no reason to own a gun.

It's why America is completely f**cked up.

IN some states you can legally walk to the local store to buy some milk waving your gun around as 'open carry' is legal..

Then some states ban cameras in the legislative hall but concealed weapons are perfectly fine.

Thankfully we don't have anything close to the gun culture America has.
Rick
Steve Walters

Post by Rick »

Dumb people are dumb.

Ill leave it at that and we can all agree to disagree.

I still say this is unfortunate and tragic (if all is as it seems, which in this case I think it is)

We always look for things or people to blame, I see it everyday, but sometimes unfortunate **** just happens.
Michael
Mal Meninga

Post by Michael »

Rick wrote:

That is the worst logic I've ever come across, even by internet standards.

The sole purpose of a gun is to kill things with. Knives, cars and other household items actually have uses which extend beyond that.
Professor
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: Bae

Post by Professor »

Rick wrote:Dumb people are dumb.

I still say this is unfortunate and tragic (if all is as it seems, which in this case I think it is)

We always look for things or people to blame, I see it everyday, but sometimes unfortunate **** just happens.
"**** happens" would have been if he fired one round, maybe two given how easy guns can go off. But 4?

If there's no more to the story than what's been reported then you're right, some people are just very, very dumb!

4 rounds accidentally pumped into his Mrs of 12 months. ****!?
Nick
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Jack Wighton

Post by Nick »

well said.
Schifty
Laurie Daley

Post by Schifty »

It is all pretty simple.

Tighter Gun Control = Harder to own a gun which = less guns in the community which = less gun crime.
Rick
Steve Walters

Post by Rick »

Raider 85 wrote:
Rick wrote:Dumb people are dumb.

"**** happens" would have been if he fired one round, maybe two given how easy guns can go off. But 4?

If there's no more to the story than what's been reported then you're right, some people are just very, very dumb!

4 rounds accidentally pumped into his Mrs of 12 months. ****!?
I would be more concerned about someone shooting at something, when they don't know what they are shooting at. That's concerning.
Michael
Mal Meninga

Post by Michael »

Only when you own a gun, do you somehow get yourself into a situation when you end up blowing a loved-one away.

I'd love to know the worldwide ratio of 'gun used to successfully defend against an intruder: said gun used to kill family member' - it must be through the roof.
Schifty
Laurie Daley

Post by Schifty »

Michael wrote:Only when you own a gun, do you somehow get yourself into a situation when you end up blowing a loved-one away.

I'd love to know the worldwide ratio of 'gun used to successfully defend against an intruder: said gun used to kill family member' - it must be through the roof.
Some of the states in MERICA' are trying to make these look better by introducing these ridiculous 'stand your ground laws'

Like that Zimmerman bloke who (against police orders) decided to follow then shoot and kill a black guy who was armed with a pack of skittles...
Begbie
Laurie Daley

Post by Begbie »

This is a black and white argument imo. I know of no one (pro gun) who has changed their mind,even after mass shootings in their country week after week and a gun homicide rate smashing every other country . The powerful NRA use the Second Amendment (hold the right to bear arms) as a politcal weapon as powerful as a nuclear bomb. Nothing will change before any of us are dead.
Rick
Steve Walters

Post by Rick »

I'm not completely disagreeing with all you are saying however to label all gun owners dumb is a bit over the top, much like naming all Australian athletes drug users who match fix for their criminal gang associates.

I own a gun, I know lots of people who own guns, can't say I have ever even thought of it when I hear something like the dog scratching on the door (I do acknowledge we live in a much better place then SA)

If society did not use guns it would be just something else.

I am not a massive gun nut, I think Australia went down the right track with there laws and also think there is still someway to go.
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

South African police have just called 'bull****' on the 'accidental shooting' story. From reports from neighbours, it sounds like they were fighting all evening before she was shot.

Our Olympic friend is in the ****.

On gun control and owning a gun. I owned a rifle from the age of about 12 through till when I went to uni. I used it for vermin control at a rural property my parents owned as a weekender. When we were not shooting at bunnies, the rifle was locked in a cabinet at the farm, the bolt of the rifle was locked in a drawer in our house in Canberra and the ammunition disappeared off to a secret location only my father knew of - the separate components of the weapon were never closer than 100km apart when it was not actively in use.

THAT is the only safe way to own a gun. The idea of keeping a weapon, loaded, by your bed is so freakin' insane that Darwinian selection suggests that the only people dumb enough to do it are the ones that need to be removed from the gene pool anyway.

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
Nick
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Jack Wighton

Post by Nick »

T_R wrote: On gun control and owning a gun. I owned a rifle from the age of about 12 through till when I went to uni. I used it for vermin control at a rural property my parents owned as a weekender. When we were not shooting at bunnies, the rifle was locked in a cabinet at the farm, the bolt of the rifle was locked in a drawer in our house in Canberra and the ammunition disappeared off to a secret location only my father knew of - the separate components of the weapon were never closer than 100km apart when it was not actively in use.

THAT is the only safe way to own a gun. The idea of keeping a weapon, loaded, by your bed is so freakin' insane that Darwinian selection suggests that the only people dumb enough to do it are the ones that need to be removed from the gene pool anyway.
agreed
Rick
Steve Walters

Post by Rick »

Spot on.
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Phil Graham

Post by FuiFui BradBrad »

Thought the story was bogus as soon as I heard it. If you knew your girlfriend wasn't home, and heard the rattling of the door, how many people would 1st think its a burglar.
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has done a superb job - 18/12/2020
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

he won't have a leg to stand on in court.

-----> door.
well, I guess you could say that I'm buy curious.
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Phil Graham

Post by FuiFui BradBrad »

Maybe he had one drink too many and he was legless...

Hold the door open Julian
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has done a superb job - 18/12/2020
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
Please
Gary Belcher

Post by Please »

She took his legs away.

He took her life away.
Well, at least Jack got paid.
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

T_R wrote:South African police have just called 'bull****' on the 'accidental shooting' story. From reports from neighbours, it sounds like they were fighting all evening before she was shot.

Our Olympic friend is in the ****.

On gun control and owning a gun. I owned a rifle from the age of about 12 through till when I went to uni. I used it for vermin control at a rural property my parents owned as a weekender. When we were not shooting at bunnies, the rifle was locked in a cabinet at the farm, the bolt of the rifle was locked in a drawer in our house in Canberra and the ammunition disappeared off to a secret location only my father knew of - the separate components of the weapon were never closer than 100km apart when it was not actively in use.

Well said old mate.

I have one mate who owns a few rifles. He is licensed, in a club, hunts on legal grounds and locks his rifles in a cabinet. He is one of the most responsible yet passionate men in relation to his hobby. To put him in the same company as murderers is simply idiotic.
The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

agreed with tr.

and this is coming from someone who has only ever shot a slug gun and wants it to stay that way.
well, I guess you could say that I'm buy curious.
Michael
Mal Meninga

Post by Michael »

dubby wrote:
I have one mate who owns a few rifles. He is licensed, in a club, hunts on legal grounds and locks his rifles in a cabinet. He is one of the most responsible yet passionate men in relation to his hobby. To put him in the same company as murderers is simply idiotic.
I wouldn't put him in the same category as murderers, that would be insane, but I don't think it's as great a distinction as you think. Is killing animals as a 'hobby' really that far removed from killing people? I know hunting is fairly popular and generally accepted, but killing anything for sport is sick.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

Yeah I stand by my point in a thread way back that nobody needs guns in this day and age.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

Well that was a really unfortunate typo.
Rick
Steve Walters

Post by Rick »

The Nickman wrote:Well that was a really unfortunate typo.
Hahhahahah or was it?
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

The Nickman wrote:Yeah I stand by my point in a thread way back that nobody needs guns in this day and age.

South Africa is a really nasty place mate. I work with a woman who moved here from SA a few years ago, she told me that in SA they would wait in the car while the husband/father would inspect the house before they could go inside. This woman is not poor either, they lived in a well-to-do area.

Without living in an area like that, I'm probably best not to make a judgement call though.

My point is, Rockhampton is not J'Burg or Pretoria.
The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
david231280
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Past - Laurie Daley
Current - Jarrod Croker

Post by david231280 »

i was going to come on a make some legless jokes but i saw the door swinging and guessed people had already made em..... I'll just go and join em
Michael
Mal Meninga

Post by Michael »

Dubs, I think it's pretty clear that Pistorious didn't have guns purely for reasons of self-defence. Apparently he was a self-confessed gun enthusiast and posted a particularly incriminating tweet about charging into the laundry armed to the teeth ready to blaze away because he mistook the sound of his washing machine for an intruder. A profile of him in a UK paper said he had a baseball bat and cricket bat behind his bedroom door, a pistol next to the bed and some sort of semi-auto near the window. He sounds like a **** idiot.