Health and fitness

The social club of The Greenhouse

Moderator: GH Moderators

How healthy and happy are you?

Super healthy = Could trial for the Raiders
6%
Moderately healthy = I've got a six pack or at least I am trying to
34%
Slightly healthy = I eat junk and healthy stuff but I do walk (sometimes)
28%
Unhealthy = The only six pack I've got is for drinking
28%
Extremely unhealthy = Just don't ask
4%

Total votes: 53

freddo
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Brett Mullins

Health and fitness

Post by freddo »

I have decided to make a lifestyle change and have decided to go into the fitness industry.

Over the last 9 weeks I have gone from 73 Kgs to 65Kgs Also going from (102cms to 84cms around my waist) losing 10% of my body fat.

I feel great and just wanted to see what other people are like and would like to exchange ideas on health, nutrition and fitness with fellow GHers
Truth Beauty and The Freddo Way
Green Jamey
Dean Lance

Re: Health and Fitness

Post by Green Jamey »

Well done Freddo. Being healthy is the greatest decision you well ever make.

I'm sure you know by now that health and fitness is a discipline. Its not easy. Saying no to unhealthy eating in this society is hard as we live a busy life and its easy to buy foods that will be detrimental to your health.

I prepare my meals one day in advance. I eat 6 times a day including a protein shake. Every meal contains carbs and protein.

Today I ate a 6 egg ommlette and a cup of oats for breakfeast.
at ten am it was a handful of almonds and a protein shake.
Lunch: chicken schnitzel and green salad.
Arvo lunch: 200g of turkey and green salad.
Preworkout supplement: Craze
Post workout: Protein Shake
tea: Salmon or lean steak and 2 cups of veggies.

One day a week I eat "crap" food. Usually a packet of chips and pizza but thats about it. I don't desire unhealthy food as much as I once did.

I do resistance training 4 days a week for at least an hour, usually 90 mins.
I do cardio training 3 days a week; running 5km or skipping rope.
I play touch footy every Wednesday.

I stand 186cm, weigh 85kg and have about 18% body fat according to my Big W scales. I struggle with water retention; about 56% WR which is slightly dehydrated for my size.

While I am not the biggest guy around nor the fittest I do manage to have abundant energy and a spring in my step.

The hardest thing I found was copping crap from my social circle. While they eat terribly they often make me the brunt of jokes because I don't buy pop corn at the movies or have cake with coffee, or beer with pizza.

My response is to usually lift my shirt and show them my flat stomach where you can actually see some abs. Its fun to do that in front of their missus, as she will nudge him and say "why can't you look like that"
freddo
John Ferguson

Post by freddo »

The Phantom wrote:Well done Freddo. Being healthy is the greatest decision you well ever make.

I'm sure you know by now that health and fitness is a discipline. Its not easy. Saying no to unhealthy eating in this society is hard as we live a busy life and its easy to buy foods that will be detrimental to your health.

I prepare my meals one day in advance. I eat 6 times a day including a protein shake. Every meal contains carbs and protein.

Today I ate a 6 egg ommlette and a cup of oats for breakfeast.
at ten am it was a handful of almonds and a protein shake.
Lunch: chicken schnitzel and green salad.
Arvo lunch: 200g of turkey and green salad.
Preworkout supplement: Craze
Post workout: Protein Shake
tea: Salmon or lean steak and 2 cups of veggies.

One day a week I eat "crap" food. Usually a packet of chips and pizza but thats about it. I don't desire unhealthy food as much as I once did.

I do resistance training 4 days a week for at least an hour, usually 90 mins.
I do cardio training 3 days a week; running 5km or skipping rope.
I play touch footy every Wednesday.

I stand 186cm, weigh 85kg and have about 18% body fat according to my Big W scales. I struggle with water retention; about 56% WR which is slightly dehydrated for my size.

While I am not the biggest guy around nor the fittest I do manage to have abundant energy and a spring in my step.

The hardest thing I found was copping crap from my social circle. While they eat terribly they often make me the brunt of jokes because I don't buy pop corn at the movies or have cake with coffee, or beer with pizza.

My response is to usually lift my shirt and show them my flat stomach where you can actually see some abs. Its fun to do that in front of their missus, as she will nudge him and say "why can't you look like that"

Thanks mate that is an awesome effort and you have hit all the nails on the head, I am almost at the point where my routine and diet is similar to yours but everyone is different and needs a different approach.
freddo
John Ferguson

Post by freddo »

If you can get your body fat down towards 10% big ask I know, But then your abs really start to pop out,
Please
Gary Belcher
Favourite Player: Jarrod Croker

Health and Fitness

Post by Please »

When I feel like losing weight I give myself gastro and lose 5kgs in one day. **** running.
Well, at least Jack got paid.
Raidersrawesome
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Captain Croker

Post by Raidersrawesome »

Thats massive Freddo , well done.

Im currently 20 days into my new lifestyle , my diet over the 20 days has been Veggies and meat , no junk food or anything processed. ( Essentially Paleo )

Im down 8.5kg

Im already feeling the benefits , I now have more energy , Im sleeping better and I have a condition ( an allergy to some food types ) where I get a choking sensation sometimes when I eat , that has nearly gone away.

I weigh 103kg ( 170cm tall ) and want to get to 70kg.

I used to train dam hard but my weight wouldnt shift , now Im eating properly the weights moving. My fitness is shot so Im starting from scratch for that.

Ive been doing 45 min cardio for the last few days. This will be ramped up in a few weeks.
Michael
Mal Meninga

Post by Michael »

I just try and eat well and run 5/6kms at night after dinner maybe four or five nights a week. And swim daily in summer. But then again I'm naturally skeletal, so its more about trying to stay in reasonable shape and health for when I get older - I figure that if you can't stay in good shape when you're 25 then it's not likely to magically happen when you're in your 30's or 40's, at least not without a huge amount of effort.
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

This has been my big year of getting fit - I'm down 30kg on where I started in February.

After years of eating 2 meals a day at my desk and exercising not at all, I thought it was time to make health a bit of a priority again.

Sooo, I've hardly touched either meat or alcohol for the year and have been training an absolute heap, running at least 10km most days, with lots of longer (20+km) runs on the weekends, and supplemented by long hike (40-50km+) from time to time.

I feel so much better than I did a year ago that it's just not funny.

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
Captain Punish
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Jared Waerea-Hargreaves

Post by Captain Punish »

It's a massive achievement to reach that point that you have changed not only your appearance but your entire lifestyle. I quit smoking 5 months ago and I am attempting to get fit again now. It is definitely taking it's time and it's toll.

Going from 9 years of 2/3 times a day x 7 days, over 120km a week training to nothing. I have learnt you have more of a life when you don't exercise/compete to an extreme, however your body NEVER looks the same and motivation ceases to exist. It is coming back slowly but bloody hell it hurts now!

I regret giving it all away so suddenly, but injury prevented me from continuing at that level, but laziness stopped me from continuing at all.
Avatar Bet - bleedgreen99 - Raiders to make (BG99)/miss(Lucy) the 8. Avatar from last round of regular season 2015 until GF 2016.
Signature Bet - Raider85 - Raiders to get(Lucy)/miss(R85) the wooden spoon. Signature for entire offseason.
Bottle of something to the value of $70 - Matthew Borewood to not see (Lucy)/to see (Piggles) a first grade game in 2015 for the Warriors.
The Name Change Bet - Regarding the three bets above;
I win all three I keep my name.
I win one I become "the Punish"
I lose all I become "Chicken Little"
Albi
David Furner
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Health and Fitness

Post by Albi »

I'm 42 and am the fittest I've ever been. My regime is to do 45 minutes of mixed cardio at the gym plus about 30 min of weights daily. I'm 75kg, 168cm and can bench press my body weight.

Avoid 'dead calories' like white bread, pasta and rice.. I can't stand red meat and eat lots of chicken and fish..

Avoid the temptation of getting your body fat percentage too low.. It's not good for you.
Canberra Raiders Bronze Member

Banner courtesy of the very talented, fistinz.
freddo
John Ferguson

Post by freddo »

Yeah I signed up for my Certificate III and IV today. So when the enrolment gets processed I am going to embark on that.

Also I got a few fitness books to help me out. There are a really good read with great ideas for dieting and work out plans.

They recommend full body movement core workouts to help burn calories and incourage muscle growth
yeh raiders
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Jack Wighton

Post by yeh raiders »

I train and play sports - cricket and touch footy - 5 times a week.

Ran the City2Surf this year for the first time in 65 minutes, which i was happy with.

It's not difficult, just eat healthy and work hard. Anyone can do it. Dont want to eat anything unhealthy, just dont buy it. Learn to cook and fill the fridge/pantry with fresh foods and you'll win.
Raidersrawesome
Mal Meninga

Health and Fitness

It is and isn't hard.

I've had 40 years of bad eating habits , which I'm trying to break , I'm lucky I have never smoked or very rarely drink.

The 1st week of eating ' clean ' I had bad withdrawal symptoms and the body played up , I had no energy.

But once I got past that I felt good.

It's a battle mentally more than anything , your body will adjust if you really want it to happen.

The mentality I had was It's easier to do nothing.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

I ride to work about three times a week, play touch footy on Monday and Wednesday nights and ref touch footy on Monday nights. From Wednesday night to Saturday night I drink more beer than 50 men and basically negate any of the good work I've put in during the week.
freddo
John Ferguson

Post by freddo »

Nickman you were looking good for a mintue there.

The Jason Smith diet doesnt work for many people
Green eyed Mick
Laurie Daley

Re: Health and fitness

Post by Green eyed Mick »

I am 182cm, 81kg and last time I jumped on the fancy machine at the gym I had 9.5% bodyfat.

A bit old to trial for the Raiders but I am still in excellant shape. I still enjoy my vices (Hookah and Indian food as well as the odd ciggie, cold beer and miscellaneous) but exercise has been a priority for a long long time and is still the first thing I do 6 mornings a week.
freddo
John Ferguson

Post by freddo »

Nice work Mick and to everyone else
yeh raiders
Laurie Daley

Post by yeh raiders »

Green eyed Mick wrote:I am 182cm, 81kg and last time I jumped on the fancy machine at the gym I had 9.5% bodyfat. .
That's solid.. im the same height but about 8kg less. I'd say similar bf% or slightly less. Ultimate goal is to be 80kg, at less than 9% bf

When do you guys prefer to exercise? Morning, noon, night?
Raidersrawesome
Mal Meninga

Health and fitness

I'm 1st thing in the morning , I have even got up at 3am to go to the gym before work.

I'll also tend to go straight after night shift .

If I don't do it in the am I struggle to get any training done
freddo
John Ferguson

Post by freddo »

Morning def, Now with the pool down the road open, I am looking at swimming after doing a few sprints of the adjoining oval
Green eyed Mick
Laurie Daley

Nothing like waking up when it is still pitch dark, donning the hoodie and beanie and hitting the road for an hour. Early morning training does have its pitfalls though. If you don't sleep well and get the calories in you can be pretty lethargic during the day. Some people also find it hard to exercise on an empty stomach or straight after eating. You do get used to it though (running on empty)

At the moment I work on my own schedule so training in the mornings suits me but it really depends on personal preferences. Having done 2 a days for many years I find mornings the easiest to get motivated for.
freddo
John Ferguson

Post by freddo »

I have been going in the mornings but leaving it late enough that I beat all the steroid pumped up tradies. So most mornings I am the only guy in the gym working out which is kinda peaceful
yeh raiders
Laurie Daley

Post by yeh raiders »

I'm not much of a morning person, but Sunday morning touch is Sunday morning touch for a reason.. so im forced to run basically on empty (down a Powerade during) then. Thankfully its social touch, for the sake of being able to take it easier and drinking during it. Comp touch is intense cardio, so a more fitness than footy based game.

City2Surf i tried drinking Powerade in between and had to throw it back up.

I weight train at night normally.. looking forward to it gets me through the day and i have plenty of time to accummulate calories to train on and motivation to get me going. Also being spent and especially tired around the time you want to sleep is brilliant.
freddo
John Ferguson

Post by freddo »

What supplments are people using for pre and post workouts, I am currently hooked on BSC Hydroburn Pro Dark Chocolate,
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

A few sauvignon blancs on Friday and Saturdays.
freddo
John Ferguson

Post by freddo »

Nice
yeh raiders
Laurie Daley

Post by yeh raiders »

Nothing beats covering your diet with whole foods as oppose to trying to make up for it with supplements. But if you can stomach it, I can't anymore, Whey protein isolate post workout is the to go.

Pre workout, cup of coffee will do the trick but I'm against artificially stimulating your heart before exercise. That's just me. I've tried supplements with caffeine and green tea extracts etc.. I just don't need it to get pumped up for a workout.

Post workout, I'm drinking pasteurized egg whites.. Buy 950mL, frozen from Woolies, for under $6. Add a simple carb like a banana and honey and you're good to go.
Green eyed Mick
Laurie Daley

Try Syntha 6 Protein with low fat milk. Tastes much much better than most preteins. Also pretty cheap if you buy it in bulk from the US. I also drink the odd sports drink but not often and only after a workout. For me good old tap water works best before and after a workout.

Other than that I think most supplements are about as useful as multi-vitamins :hmmm
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

freddo wrote:What supplments are people using for pre and post workouts, I am currently hooked on BSC Hydroburn Pro Dark Chocolate,
Hi mate,

someone mentioned it earlier but I also use Craze as a pre-workout. Very good stuff, it has creatine and heaps of other good gear to help you in your workout. Its not a supplement that makes you feel like you swallowed 12 Red Bulls; no jitters or rapid heart beat. I find it improves focus and concentration...it helps you pull one more rep......and then another.

Post workout I take Max's Mass Gainer protein powder. Its a 50-50 blend of carbs and protein. I'm 185cm and 83kg and trying to build some lean muscle. It will take time.

I was doing the gym 5 days a week before I had my appendix out. I wasn't trim at all, still had a flabby gut. However I have changed my diet dramatically and attained a n

ew program from a professional competitor which is reaping rewards.

For resistance training I use the German Volume method.

Ten sets of ten reps of one major exercise then 3-4 sets of 10 reps of the same muscle group

i.e. for chest:

10 sets x 10 reps of cable cross overs
3 sets incline bench
3 sets dumbell press then giant set with pushups to fail.
3 sets cable raise
1 minute rest between sets.

I am now running as well. I set small goals as I just find running boring. I started small; run for 1.6km at 10km/h. I found that easy (to my surprise) and then decided to do 1.6km at 12km/h. I'm working at reaching 2.5km at 12km/h after running 3.0km at 10km/h. Sounds weird but I get easily distracted running and need a point to keep me focussed.

I had to wait 6 weeks until after my operation before I could train. I waited 7 to be safe, and was shocked at how much strength and muscle I had lost during that period. I've recovered a lot of strength (not what I was but a lot better) and the shape is coming along slowly.
The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
Michael
Mal Meninga

Post by Michael »

This is all going way over my head. My entire knowledge of health and fitness starts and ends with 'eat healthier, get on the grog less frequently and run about a bit'.
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Phil Graham

Post by FuiFui BradBrad »

Worm wrote:It's a massive achievement to reach that point that you have changed not only your appearance but your entire lifestyle. I quit smoking 5 months ago and I am attempting to get fit again now. It is definitely taking it's time and it's toll.

Going from 9 years of 2/3 times a day x 7 days, over 120km a week training to nothing. I have learnt you have more of a life when you don't exercise/compete to an extreme, however your body NEVER looks the same and motivation ceases to exist. It is coming back slowly but bloody hell it hurts now!

I regret giving it all away so suddenly, but injury prevented me from continuing at that level, but laziness stopped me from continuing at all.
I'm at this point. I use to do Boot Camps 3 days a week and play A Grade Volleyball (don't be hating). Recently I was diagnosed with something that has basically bed ridden me for the last 3 months. I can still get out and about but anything resembling exercise such as weights, running etc causes discomfort and I can't go for very long.

Had ultrasounds and been told it's nothing fatal, have to see a specialist next month. All the doctors tell me to do is rest up, avoid physical exercise and hope this thing passes. As I said, it's been 3 months and I've seen all this work I've put in go away. I was 175cm and 86kgs. Now Ive hit the 90's.

Can't wait to be told Im good to go again. Have this George St Pierre workout DVD to help me catch up, as well as I'm going to invest in a treadmill.
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has done a superb job - 18/12/2020
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
yeh raiders
Laurie Daley

Post by yeh raiders »

Creatine is one supplement i'd definitely endorse.. it works
freddo
John Ferguson

Post by freddo »

What is this Craze people are talking about?
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Phil Graham

Post by FuiFui BradBrad »

freddo wrote:What is this Craze people are talking about?
It's the latest craze...

Sorry :arrow:
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has done a superb job - 18/12/2020
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
freddo
John Ferguson

Post by freddo »

Fuifui Bradbrad wrote:
freddo wrote:What is this Craze people are talking about?
It's the latest craze...

Sorry :arrow:

LOL Post of the year