Health and fitness

The social club of The Greenhouse

Moderator: GH Moderators

How healthy and happy are you?

Super healthy = Could trial for the Raiders
6%
Moderately healthy = I've got a six pack or at least I am trying to
34%
Slightly healthy = I eat junk and healthy stuff but I do walk (sometimes)
28%
Unhealthy = The only six pack I've got is for drinking
28%
Extremely unhealthy = Just don't ask
4%

Total votes: 53

gerg
Laurie Daley

Re: Health and fitness

Post by gerg »

What attracts you to that profession, out of curiosity? What is involved in the PAT?
Shoving it in your face since 2017
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

Sid wrote:I just failed the Physical Aptitude test trying out for the firies. This was my 2nd time applying. This time last year I passed the beep test, written aptitude, Physical Aptitude test and had an interview. This time around I passed the beep and the written, but didn't get past the 1st phase of the physical Aptitude test, it was the 3rd phase of the PAT that I'd felt would be the difficult one. During the static hold I lost control with a few seconds to go. I'd had a niggling lower back injury from deadlifts, which had interrupted my training a little in the lead up, but otherwise I was feeling as fit, if not more fit than last year.

There were less people this intake, starting with 150, down to 60 coming into the PAT, so if I had passed today, I felt I had a reasonable chance to have joined the squad of 12. The next intake isn't until around September next year which feels a long time away, particularly since I'm 35 y/o now. Gutted.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk
That sucks man. What are the phases in the PAT
What do you need on a beep test?
Sid
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Shannon Boyd

Post by Sid »

gergreg wrote:What attracts you to that profession, out of curiosity? What is involved in the PAT?
First looked into it when my brother who's been in the police force for almost 20 years recommended it to me. In short, some attractive points are a mixture of physical and mental challenges, interesting training/work, help the community, felt like my skills and experiences from being in the fuel and transport industry would be relevant and transferable, have been in that industry for 17 years so ready for a change.

Would have won Boogs - 2016, 2017, 2018

1 part green, 1 part machine
Sid
Ricky Stuart

Post by Sid »

Dr Zaius wrote:
Sid wrote:I just failed the Physical Aptitude test trying out for the firies. This was my 2nd time applying. This time last year I passed the beep test, written aptitude, Physical Aptitude test and had an interview. This time around I passed the beep and the written, but didn't get past the 1st phase of the physical Aptitude test, it was the 3rd phase of the PAT that I'd felt would be the difficult one. During the static hold I lost control with a few seconds to go. I'd had a niggling lower back injury from deadlifts, which had interrupted my training a little in the lead up, but otherwise I was feeling as fit, if not more fit than last year.

There were less people this intake, starting with 150, down to 60 coming into the PAT, so if I had passed today, I felt I had a reasonable chance to have joined the squad of 12. The next intake isn't until around September next year which feels a long time away, particularly since I'm 35 y/o now. Gutted.

That sucks man. What are the phases in the PAT
What do you need on a beep test?
9.6 for the beep test, it was in aircon this year which made it a bit easier. I can't get 9.6 when I try to do a beep test myself using a local concrete cricket pitch, but succeeded both times I applied.

Here's the PAT, have 15 mins to do the Phase 1 and 2 mins to do phase 3. Last time I completed phase 1 in under 13 mins, the sooner you finish, the longer rest you get between phase 2 and 3.

Sid
Ricky Stuart

Post by Sid »

How do you long distance runners here go with the beep test, I imagine you'd get far? Though I guess it's not the training you'd do for your long distance stuff. It's probably not something many people would do just for the fun of it haha

Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

Sid wrote:How do you long distance runners here go with the beep test, I imagine you'd get far? Though I guess it's not the training you'd do for your long distance stuff. It's probably not something many people would do just for the fun of it haha
The bootcamp that I used to go would occasionally pull it out for a session. Firstly do a beep test. Then do something like run one beep, do push ups for the next...

Best I got to was just shy of 14, and I would typically get around 12 give or take. But that was back when I was doing more HIIT style training. Would be interesting to see how I went now that I do far less anaerobic training and far more long distance running.
Sid
Ricky Stuart

Post by Sid »

That's incredible

Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

I don't know about incredible, but I was pretty fit back then (in a different way to now)
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

next year it's in the bag Sid

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk

Edrick The Entertainer
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

I couldn't read some of the detail on the attachment but I noticed quite a few related directly to activities with a jerry can. You may have this covered already but if it were me I would focus my training program on the exact exercises in the test. I wouldn't bother with the gym - I'd go and buy a jerry can and do the exact exercises in the test, practice exactly what you have to do in the test. You know the minute detail of the test so do the test in your training. That could set you up perfectly, mentally and physically.
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

gergreg wrote:I couldn't read some of the detail on the attachment but I noticed quite a few related directly to activities with a jerry can. You may have this covered already but if it were me I would focus my training program on the exact exercises in the test. I wouldn't bother with the gym - I'd go and buy a jerry can and do the exact exercises in the test, practice exactly what you have to do in the test. You know the minute detail of the test so do the test in your training. That could set you up perfectly, mentally and physically.
Solid advice
Sid
Ricky Stuart

Post by Sid »

Dr Zaius wrote:
gergreg wrote:I couldn't read some of the detail on the attachment but I noticed quite a few related directly to activities with a jerry can. You may have this covered already but if it were me I would focus my training program on the exact exercises in the test. I wouldn't bother with the gym - I'd go and buy a jerry can and do the exact exercises in the test, practice exactly what you have to do in the test. You know the minute detail of the test so do the test in your training. That could set you up perfectly, mentally and physically.
Solid advice
In hindsight I think what has happened is the guy I had demonstrating the rescue tool static hold was left handed and I’ve held it the same way he has, which had my weaker grip at the top where my stronger grip should have been. Spewing.

Some of the easier exercises are a bit easier to replicate than others, the sled drag stuff a little less so. I mostly do functional fitness through CrossFit, but I’d changed it a bit in the lead up to focus more on leg strength, cardio and static strength since those seem to be the areas most required. I was doing things such as kettle bell step ups, interval air bike/runs and plank holds. But yeah I should invest in a jerry can or kettle bell/s for home to do more farmer’s carry/stair work and improve grip.

This time around I’ll look into Airservices Australia (their recruitment requirements appear almost identical) and I’ll also take a look at the process to apply for interstate departments so I don’t have to wait a year.

FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Phil Graham

Post by FuiFui BradBrad »

If you couldn’t read the detail, it sounds like you failed the eye test
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has done a superb job - 18/12/2020
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Fuifui Bradbrad wrote:
A few too many ciders last night for that reading stuff to work, Fui. But eyes have always been my Achilles. Image
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

gergreg wrote:
Fuifui Bradbrad wrote:
A few too many ciders last night for that reading stuff to work, Fui. But eyes have always been my Achilles. Image
Back in the home town, and have branched out hitting trails that I haven't previously. Canberra is a trail runners paradise!
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Yep. Great trails for running, riding or walking the dog. I'm a five minute (trail) run from Cooleman Ridge. It's fantastic.
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

I'm regretting not finding them when I lived here...

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde

Awesome spots Doc!

We just had a little park / walkway open up in the 2765. Decent sized man-made lake in the middle of the track. The FB group is going crazy with people asking whether we can kayak in it, myself included. Did a walk around the lake today and saw a promising looking concrete track leading to the water amongst the grass. Looks like a perfect spot for launching a kayak.

I think I’m going to try my luck tomorrow
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

Fuifui Bradbrad wrote:Awesome spots Doc!

We just had a little park / walkway open up in the 2765. Decent sized man-made lake in the middle of the track. The FB group is going crazy with people asking whether we can kayak in it, myself included. Did a walk around the lake today and saw a promising looking concrete track leading to the water amongst the grass. Looks like a perfect spot for launching a kayak.

I think I’m going to try my luck tomorrow
So what's the go with the kayaking situation? Yay or nay?
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde

Health and fitness

I get the feeling we’re all waiting for the first person to get in there, so the others can say “Yep, I saw someone in there this morning. It’s on!”

I’m feeling like tomorrow I’m willing to be that one person to make the one small paddle for man…

It’s perfect for me. I have this Challenger inflatable Kayak I’ve been wanting to test out, but I’m not confident enough to throw an inflatable kayak into the Hawkesbury. So I’ve been looking for a lake to give it a test run on.

Nickman's love of NSW
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

What's the worst that can happen Fui? "Oi, you! Get off the lake!"

How big is this lake?
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde

Yeah that’s my thinking. Worst case, they tell me to get out.

We’ve all been collecting the Stockland promotional materials showing pics of families kayaking and living their best lives, so we can go all “You have kayakers in your advertising!”

Lake wise, it’s decent, on the small side I’d guess. It’s about 1km / 1.5km to walk around it.

Nickman's love of NSW
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Health and fitness

Post by gangrenous »

Worst case is the lake isn’t water and you don’t notice until you capsize in the middle.
Sid
Ricky Stuart

Post by Sid »

Or the lake is full of sharks with frickin laser beams

Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

Polished off Tarawera 102km yesterday in Rotorua. What an awesome event. Just such a great vibe, and well run. Prefer UTA (usual course) in terms of course though, it just special. But man Rotorua is a beautiful area. Ran next to 5 different natural lakes.

Tough day at the office. Bit of a sprint finish to just get in under 13 hours, then promptly directed to the medical tent cause I looked a tad rubbish. ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Nice work, great time. I'm going to try to do it in the next few years. Interesting your comment about uta being a better course? Tarawera is meant to be a pretty course. I guess I missed out on the 'real' uta so I'm keen to do both eventually. But keen to do the original uta though.

Did our crazy Coastal do the miler?

What's next doc? Probably too early to think about? Hope you have a good recovery.
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

Would be interesting to see what is in the first 60km of Tarawera, because it was an altered course due to a landslip last weekend.

Not sure what is next for me. I wasn't loving life yesterday, so don't think that I'm too keen on lining up for a 100km again. At least not in the near future. Friends want to put a team into kokoda 46km in July, and also talk of Comrades next year.
Coastalraider
David Furner
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Coastalraider »

Hey Doc, didn’t realise you were over here!

Yep, knocked off my first miler - now stuck over here for the week because of this cyclone. That’s the 3rd consecutive course change in our trail races due to weather impacts - hopefully the next 12 months we can get back to normal.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Seeing some of the footage I think you guys were really lucky the race even happened.

How was the step up to the miler, and what's next?
Coastalraider
David Furner

Post by Coastalraider »

It’s a really big step if I’m honest. Felt like twice the race. Crazy weather over here, but only really before and after the race. Currently stuck working in a hotel room waiting in the backlog of passengers trying to get home - at this stage I’m here until Saturday. Craziness.

What’s next? Beer and lots of food!
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

That is outstanding mate. Well done and congratulations. How long did it take you, and how are you feeling?

We were damn lucky get that run in. I've had the week off, with no firm plans, just a vague want to go to Napier, and need to be on a flight in Wellington on Sunday. We essentially moved south based on the weather forecasts one day at a time. Needless to say that we didn't get to Napier and spending more time in Wellington than anticipated. Not complaining, Wellington is awesome. Had a bonus earthquake thrown in last night for good measure.
Coastalraider
David Furner

Post by Coastalraider »

Dr Zaius wrote: February 16, 2023, 6:20 pm That is outstanding mate. Well done and congratulations. How long did it take you, and how are you feeling?

We were damn lucky get that run in. I've had the week off, with no firm plans, just a vague want to go to Napier, and need to be on a flight in Wellington on Sunday. We essentially moved south based on the weather forecasts one day at a time. Needless to say that we didn't get to Napier and spending more time in Wellington than anticipated. Not complaining, Wellington is awesome. Had a bonus earthquake thrown in last night for good measure.
Finally got home last night, ended up catching a bus to the airport and forcing the issue with people at the anz desk, only way I could make it happen.

Race was decent- went sideways at about 95k and was struggling to get a sentence together. Reset at 100k, sat for a while, changed clothes, shoes, ate and drank a tonne and just had to reset and start again. Had a target of 30 hours based on average finishers times historically, did a low 29 hour which was about right for the faster course.
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

Fantastic. Well done, the is a freaking awesome effort mate. You should be very proud of yourself.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

amazing effort Coastal. The logical or illogical step up from the 100 is the miler but I think I need to do a few more 100's before I even consider it. That last 20k in Katoomba was tough. My eyes aren't great and with the fatigue I didn't feel comfortable running on the single track and my legs were gone anyway. Coastal - are you going to look at a few of the big O/S races now -- mt blanc, leadville etc..?

On another note, where the hell is EJ.. We need an update on that crazy Indian Tuktuk race/adventure?
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

So I went and signed up for Kosciuszko 100. I don't know what the **** I was thinking