Health and fitness

The social club of The Greenhouse

Moderator: GH Moderators

How healthy and happy are you?

Super healthy = Could trial for the Raiders
6%
Moderately healthy = I've got a six pack or at least I am trying to
34%
Slightly healthy = I eat junk and healthy stuff but I do walk (sometimes)
28%
Unhealthy = The only six pack I've got is for drinking
28%
Extremely unhealthy = Just don't ask
4%

Total votes: 53

zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Re: Health and fitness

Post by zim »

Fuifui Bradbrad wrote: August 27, 2021, 6:00 pm
Coastalraider wrote:So how’s everyone going in various states of lockdown??
I’m down 10kgs. From 100.3 in May to 99.8 yesterday

Through diet and exercise. I do a 30 min walk with a 10kg weighted vest in the morning. The afternoon is 30 - 40 mins of either upper body / lower body focused workouts, all body workouts or Yoga

I’m intrigued, BMI wise, I need to get to 75kg to be normal weight for my height (172cm), but I’ve never been that small. I kind of want to keep pushing to see if I can get there. 85kg is my goal, 80kg is my stretch, 75 is ZOMG
A fellow halfback I see. Great work mate. Took me a few years to do the big loss down to under 75kg. I have an on and off season with my body weight :). Just be patient and keep working hard.
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Phil Graham

Post by FuiFui BradBrad »

zim wrote:
Fuifui Bradbrad wrote: August 27, 2021, 6:00 pm
Coastalraider wrote:So how’s everyone going in various states of lockdown??
I’m down 10kgs. From 100.3 in May to 99.8 yesterday

Through diet and exercise. I do a 30 min walk with a 10kg weighted vest in the morning. The afternoon is 30 - 40 mins of either upper body / lower body focused workouts, all body workouts or Yoga

I’m intrigued, BMI wise, I need to get to 75kg to be normal weight for my height (172cm), but I’ve never been that small. I kind of want to keep pushing to see if I can get there. 85kg is my goal, 80kg is my stretch, 75 is ZOMG
A fellow halfback I see. Great work mate. Took me a few years to do the big loss down to under 75kg. I have an on and off season with my body weight :). Just be patient and keep working hard.
Yeah that’s the plan. I’m pushing hard now, with the thought of being able to ease up on the daily weights routine I’ve got going. Then it’s just watching and easier management.

I reached out to a local kayaking club back in June to have a go on the water. Poor bloke running the club had a back operation and could take me out. Then when he was good to go, my suburb went into lockdown.

Looking forward to getting out on the water once things ease up.
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has done a superb job - 18/12/2020
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

I've got a 50km trail race next week, Coastal High. It's been a gradual decline in fitness for me since UTA. It's going to hurt real bad
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Yeah I'm in for a world of pain too. I've got about 8 weeks to train for stromlo 50k and I only just started running again yesterday after very little for the past 2 months. My usual plans are about 16 weeks so I guess I'll just have to ramp up the distances quicker than normal?
Shoving it in your face since 2017
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

Don't break yourself mate!
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

I find it truly fascinating. I bought a pretzl a few months back as I find night running fits my schedule better and less people/dogs on the trail to distract my dog. In the 15 - 20 night runs I've done 1 person has passed me (on a mtn bike). Tonight 20+ people on the trail, half of them without a light. It's like people say '**** you guvment, I don't care about your lockdown. I never go out, never exercise but because you're telling me to limit it I'm gonna do it'
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

gergreg wrote:I find it truly fascinating. I bought a pretzl a few months back as I find night running fits my schedule better and less people/dogs on the trail to distract my dog. In the 15 - 20 night runs I've done 1 person has passed me (on a mtn bike). Tonight 20+ people on the trail, half of them without a light. It's like people say '**** you guvment, I don't care about your lockdown. I never go out, never exercise but because you're telling me to limit it I'm gonna do it'
Night trail running. Super cool, super liberating, super creepy.

Covidiots. Even the trails aren't immune.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

gergreg wrote:I find it truly fascinating. I bought a pretzl a few months back as I find night running fits my schedule better and less people/dogs on the trail to distract my dog. In the 15 - 20 night runs I've done 1 person has passed me (on a mtn bike). Tonight 20+ people on the trail, half of them without a light. It's like people say '**** you guvment, I don't care about your lockdown. I never go out, never exercise but because you're telling me to limit it I'm gonna do it'
It's like the Muppets that were having a whinge about people riding on the bike paths too close to them.

a) Where are you the other 10 months of the year
b) it's a **** bike path

Go back inside and leave the rest of us alone to do what we do 12 months a year

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde

This is starting to happen on my morning walks. We have a shared path.

All through winter, I’ve had the track to myself in the mornings. But as soon as the temp gets over 10* it’s like Carnivale, and everyone’s on parade.

People walking in groups and taking up the width of the path, bike riders shouting abuse at people, everyone complaining about everyone being out. It’s like “Well head back to bed then and give me my walking track back!”
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde

Any Kayakers in the group? I’m thinking of getting into it once lockdowns ease. Keen to get some tips.

I’m thinking of starting with an inflatable setup at first, to see if I do it enough to warrant investing more into it.

Nickman's love of NSW
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

**** I hate people that spread out and take up the whole path. The footbath along the beach here can fit six abreast, but two fat waddlers can socially distance enough to occupy the entire width.
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

Fuifui Bradbrad wrote:Any Kayakers in the group? I’m thinking of getting into it once lockdowns ease. Keen to get some tips.

I’m thinking of starting with an inflatable setup at first, to see if I do it enough to warrant investing more into it.
I've got an inflatable stand up paddle board. I can't help but think what will happen if a shark takes a bite out of a
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

Fuifui Bradbrad wrote: September 3, 2021, 7:16 pm Any Kayakers in the group? I’m thinking of getting into it once lockdowns ease. Keen to get some tips.

Used to be. Got an Ocean Kayak Prowler. Mainly did fishing on lakes, estuaries and bay. Did the odd camping trip too.

Really depends on what you want to do with it as to what to buy.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Fuifui Bradbrad wrote: September 3, 2021, 7:16 pm Any Kayakers in the group? I’m thinking of getting into it once lockdowns ease. Keen to get some tips.

Used to when I was young. Canadian canoeing as well. Kayaks are not that expensive though are they? Didn’t have inflatables in my day!
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Post by Northern Raider »

Question is why an inflatable? If you have limited space to store then it's a no brainer. Can keep in in cupboard of your inner city studio apartment and fits in the boot of your Corolla.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Dr Zaius wrote:**** I hate people that spread out and take up the whole path. The footbath along the beach here can fit six abreast, but two fat waddlers can socially distance enough to occupy the entire width.
Yeah pretty annoying. I always, deliberately drag my feet (several times) when jogging up behind them. If they don't move I just loosen the leash and my wolfhound usually gives them a sniff on the bum and the shock of their lives.
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde

Northern Raider wrote:Question is why an inflatable? If you have limited space to store then it's a no brainer. Can keep in in cupboard of your inner city studio apartment and fits in the boot of your Corolla.
Yeah I’m thinking if I get an inflatable, I don’t need to worry about roof racks, can throw it in the boot. Also easier to store… all of the above

Nickman's love of NSW
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

So I knocked off Coastal High 50 today. I went in fairly under done compared to UTA. Didn't feel great, the last 10km was pretty much uphill. It was brutal. But managed to get 28th out of 260, and 11th in my category, so pretty happy with that. The time to aim for is 6 hours, and I missed out doing it in 6:15. Good to experience the highs in lows in one year, scraping in under 14 hours in UTA100 this year. Garmin got up me. ImageImageImage
Coastalraider
David Furner

Post by Coastalraider »

Great stuff doc. Super jealous, you have no idea.

I’ve got 2 events pencilled for November, one in nsw, one in vic, but who the hell knows.

Really hard to stay on track at the moment. Paced Mike form the GMP to his first half marathon yesterday which was really cool. Now sitting around eating 10 humans worth of food for Father’s Day.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

https://www.strava.com/clubs/TheGH?utm_ ... m=referral

The old Strava club I started ages ago, if anyone wants to join up

Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

Through my hat into the ring for UTA100 2022 today.

All going to plan, Tarawera 100km in Feb, UTA100 in May. Family threatening me with the psych unit.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Wow, that's an intense few months. I saw all the UTA distances sold out pretty quickly except the 100. It's a bucket list event for me but I'm fully expecting the Stromlo 50 to be pushed back. I've heard speculation it will be in January, which would be a pretty brutal time of year for it. So UTA can wait another year, I'm not crazy like you doc.
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

I prefer the term mentally unstable
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Anybody got a suggestion for a white noise app? My colleagues are driving me **** crazy with their non stop chatter. Louder than usual with very few people in the office. Such interesting topics as car parking, the intricacies of Chinese cooking by region. Yesterday afternoon they were doing a trivia session with their headphones on - so it was like they were yelling at each other in a niteclub. I'm ready to **** explode with the amount of work I need to get through.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Just listen to music?

EJ
David Furner

Post by EJ »

gergreg wrote:Anybody got a suggestion for a white noise app? My colleagues are driving me **** crazy with their non stop chatter. Louder than usual with very few people in the office. Such interesting topics as car parking, the intricacies of Chinese cooking by region. Yesterday afternoon they were doing a trivia session with their headphones on - so it was like they were yelling at each other in a niteclub. I'm ready to **** explode with the amount of work I need to get through.
Fking lol

When I have to do rare work at the desk, I put on "study music" like this

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk

FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde

Health and fitness

Spotify has a White Noise playlist. I find that works for me.

I can’t listen to music while I work, especially when it comes to reading. I find I get distracted by the music.

Been a while since I’ve done a health update. Now down to 87.6. Starting weight was 100.3

Nickman's love of NSW
Lamenting Actions
Glenn Lazarus
Favourite Player: Grace Kemp

Post by Lamenting Actions »

Was 80kg and lifting weights 5 days a week. Have back problems and spine surgery. No gym for 2 years. Go through mild depression and smash beers.

Finally recovered enough from surgery to walk/get on treadmill. Decide to take oxyshred to give myself a kick in the ****.

I now remember why I never liked thermos or stims. "I am so tired I could work out" < that is the precise feeling.

Chugging water to flush it out faster. FML.
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

Fuifui Bradbrad wrote:Spotify has a White Noise playlist. I find that works for me.

I can’t listen to music while I work, especially when it comes to reading. I find I get distracted by the music.

Been a while since I’ve done a health update. Now down to 87.6. Starting weight was 100.3
That's some good stuff Fui
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde

Dr Zaius wrote:
Fuifui Bradbrad wrote:Spotify has a White Noise playlist. I find that works for me.

Hit the 14kg lost mark. 1kg away from my original target, and about 10 away from my ultimate stretch target

Nickman's love of NSW
zim
Laurie Daley

Post by zim »

Killing it mate.
Try not to stress yourself out over the upcoming silly season. Give yourself a break but have a definite plan for when things need to switch back on.
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde

zim wrote:Killing it mate.
Try not to stress yourself out over the upcoming silly season. Give yourself a break but have a definite plan for when things need to switch back on.
Yeah I’ve worked out a mini routine which will do me up until Xmas break.

Setting myself up so I can have a break, then get back on the horse in the new year. Mrs Fui’s family is Italian, so I’m need to prep for big meals all through Xmas!

Nickman's love of NSW
zim
Laurie Daley

Post by zim »

Fantastic. Just be aware mate, well actually I don't know if it's like this for everyone but for me everytime I switch back on its like starting from scratch all over again in those first 2 weeks.
Gotta be real aggressive with yourself in those first 2.
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde

Fuifui Bradbrad wrote:
Dr Zaius wrote:

Hit the 14kg lost mark. 1kg away from my original target, and about 10 away from my ultimate stretch target
85.4, down from 100.3. So now I’ve hit my target. This means I’m back to the size I was 10 years ago when I met Mrs Fui.

Next stop is to try and have a crack at the 70’s. Closest I got was 82 before, but my Trainer at the time had me on this crazy diet that I couldn’t maintain. I think the way I’m doing it now is more achievable.

Nickman's love of NSW
Coastalraider
David Furner

Post by Coastalraider »

Well I am back up to 89kg which is driving me mad. Stress of lockdown, home schooling and going through a recruitment and handover for a new job has meant I’m stress eating too much and need to drop some weight. Run form is still fair which is something, but running 100k weeks and still putting on weight really screws with my head.

Have a 50 miler coming up in 2.5 weeks so hopefully I can hang together for that!