Health and fitness

The social club of The Greenhouse

Moderator: GH Moderators

How healthy and happy are you?

Super healthy = Could trial for the Raiders
6%
Moderately healthy = I've got a six pack or at least I am trying to
34%
Slightly healthy = I eat junk and healthy stuff but I do walk (sometimes)
28%
Unhealthy = The only six pack I've got is for drinking
28%
Extremely unhealthy = Just don't ask
4%

Total votes: 53

gerg
Laurie Daley

Re: Health and fitness

Post by gerg »

It's always nice to have goals and signing up is a great way to do it. I saw an email from UTA today (are you the race director Coastal?) .... saying they're hopeful of going with the original/old course. That's great news, hopefully when I'm back that course will be available.
Shoving it in your face since 2017
Coastalraider
David Furner
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Coastalraider »

No not race director mate, but involved at some level. I think the biggest issue we had last year was comms, while a lot of that was driven from many other stakeholders, we learnt a lot. The last minute course changes at kosi were handled and received better, as was yet another round of last minute changes at Tarawera. This wild weather we keep having is really causing issues with Trail events of this scale!

Great to hear you signed up for kosi doc, it was a goddam epic event last year. Really well received.

I’ve just signed up to a few shorter runs of around 45-50, and I think I’m keen on the convict 100k mtb race in May. Usually I’m prepping for UTA or Ironman in May, but I’m kind of free this year, so might give it a crack.

Also thinking of surf coast century later in the year as another longer run.
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

Surf Coast Century is supposed to be good. I think it's by the same guys that do Run Larapinta, and they put on a good event.

Comms from UTA last year were terrible. Comms from Tarawera excellent. Can't comment on UTK. I saw the UTA race director at the pub with the Tarawera crew after the race in Rotorua. Hope he was taking notes.

Coastalraider
David Furner

Post by Coastalraider »

Have you done larapinta?
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

Last year. Would recommend.
Coastalraider
David Furner

Post by Coastalraider »

Dr Zaius wrote: February 23, 2023, 3:24 pm Last year. Would recommend.
It’s in the bucket list for sure. I actually got a last minute wait list option for that last year but couldn’t make it work.

Not sure if the multi day or west macs would be the better way to experience it?
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

Is that the monster?

I'd go the multi day. The really long runs like the West Mac monster become painful at some point. I enjoyed every run at Run Larapinta

Also the multiday event is a whole other experience, planning and preparation, focus on daily recovery etc
Coastalraider
David Furner

Post by Coastalraider »

Yeah the monster event. They have a few different distances at that race so looked appealing. Good feedback on the multi day though.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

I'm looking at this race for this year's event. Note: last year's website but the course is the same I think.

http://www.asiatrailmaster.com/ultra-tr ... ng-mai-tha

I haven't decided on distance yet. My eldest is flippantly saying just do the 100 dad, the 65 will be too easy. Great to have that support, but I'm just looking at that elevation profile and that looks brutal. I think this year they have a miler too.
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

I took a last minute entry to UTA 100. Absolutely brutal. But what an amazing event. Back to its best - well run, great atmosphere. Well done Coastal and Co. Old Zaius is in a world of hurt this morning.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Health and fitness

Post by The Nickman »

You guys are all mental. Here’s me getting prepped for the 10km Rocky River Run next Sunday where I’m hoping to crack an hour (got my Parkrun PB for the year yesterday at 28:30), and you blokes are knocking out ten times that amount!

Blows my mind, seriously inspiring stuff.
Coastalraider
David Furner

Post by Coastalraider »

Nice work Doc, it was great for everyone to finally get this event back to where it should be.

I did the 50 yesterday and finally found out how much is too much - with a road marathon, a 100k mtb race, and a 50 within 5 weeks, it all caught up with me yesterday and was truly horrible. Good to drag my **** to the end regardless.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

In the immortal words of Mark Gasnier, Coastal, “sometimes you just have to ask yourself, when is enough… too nuff?”

And I think that’s still true today.
Coastalraider
David Furner

Post by Coastalraider »

Some days you’re the hammer, and some days you’re the nail.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

I was wondering if you lunatics would be running? Shame I missed that course but there'll always be other opportunities. Did you manage a 14hr doc on the tougher course?
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

Ooof that's a whole world of punishment Coastal.

Not this time Greg. I managed it just, 2 years ago. Wasn't good enough this time. Got around in 14:41
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

So you missed the game?

Did you have it in your ears to push through the final leg?
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

No, was getting running commentary via txt though
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Dr Zaius wrote:No, was getting running commentary via txt though
Should’ve just had the Game Day thread pumped into your ears.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

The Nickman wrote:
Dr Zaius wrote:No, was getting running commentary via txt though
Should’ve just had the Game Day thread pumped into your ears.
Wouldn't that just be screeching ala Dumb and Dumber?

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Well at least by the time he’d finished the run he’d be convinced Kris couldn’t play fullback.
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

bonehead wrote:Ticked the 30kg loss off today, knocked 5mins off my 9km bike loop in the last 5 weeks.
8 more kg's before Xmas is probably a stretch but I'm going for it, that'd get me into double figures for the first time in 27 years.

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk
1yr today that I started on the weight loss pre-op diet at 138kg.
Scales today read 90kg and I've dropped from 44in pants to 34, 3xl shirts to medium.
I'll admit my goal is 85kg but I'm stable at 90 to 92kg since I blew out my hernia in January and had that surgery in march can't be too disappointed.
Fitness is at a lifetime high, I knocked a further minute off my benchmark mtb lap this morning. I see my cardiologist 21st August so pretty keen to see the 14 month difference on my ecg.
Anyone who ever asks about gastric sleeve I can honestly say my experience is it's 99% mental, I have zero hunger ever but can tell when I'm over full and have learnt a lot about what I can and can't eat or drink, haven't had a beer since Xmas but I now love vodka and lemon.
Anyway, gameday so grit spit and duck tape!

Sent from my SM-S911B using Tapatalk

Edrick The Entertainer
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

bonehead wrote:
bonehead wrote:Ticked the 30kg loss off today, knocked 5mins off my 9km bike loop in the last 5 weeks.
8 more kg's before Xmas is probably a stretch but I'm going for it, that'd get me into double figures for the first time in 27 years.

Scales today read 90kg and I've dropped from 44in pants to 34, 3xl shirts to medium.
I'll admit my goal is 85kg but I'm stable at 90 to 92kg since I blew out my hernia in January and had that surgery in march can't be too disappointed.
Fitness is at a lifetime high, I knocked a further minute off my benchmark mtb lap this morning. I see my cardiologist 21st August so pretty keen to see the 14 month difference on my ecg.
Anyone who ever asks about gastric sleeve I can honestly say my experience is it's 99% mental, I have zero hunger ever but can tell when I'm over full and have learnt a lot about what I can and can't eat or drink, haven't had a beer since Xmas but I now love vodka and lemon.

Holy **** that's incredible Boney. Well done.
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

Beyond amazing. Respect to you.

Sent from my SM-G998B using Tapatalk

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

bonehead wrote: July 29, 2023, 11:18 am

Fantastic mate
The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Wow that's pretty amazing. You've lost a third of your body weight. The tough bit is maintaining that weight now. Just keep a good exercise schedule or habits and you'll be right. And don't follow your young fella on those crazy downhill runs.
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Phil Graham

Post by FuiFui BradBrad »

Amazing work Boner, you have to be chuffed!

Agree that keeping it off is a challenge, but going at it the way you have, you create habits. I feel out of whack these days when I miss too many weights or walking sessions.
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has done a superb job - 18/12/2020
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

I'm heading to the Dogs raiders game late august, will do stromlo for an arvo

Edrick The Entertainer
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

Booked in for my first mtb race, it's pretty gentle territory, Wollombi Wild ride, 32km of fire trail in Sept.
Will be working what's left of my backside off to be ready for it, I'm probably fit enough to go hard for 20km's at the moment and the banana stomach is a bit limiting for fluids.

Edrick The Entertainer
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Earlier this year I signed up for the Ultra Trail Chiang Mai 65k. In July I tweaked my groin all the way down to my knee playing bloody soccer, of all things. So I couldn’t train for six weeks and had to reschedule to 13k. Silver linings moment, as my eldest asked to run it with me. So proud of her, 9 y/o and she smashed it in two hours.
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

Great effort little one.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Hmmm my inner voice is talking me into the Doi Inthanon 100k in December. Need to check whether I can get the time off work - early December. Any of you boofheads (@EJ/@Coastalraider/@Dr Zaius) interested? It's 6,000 mtrs elevation. Flights from Bangkok to Chiang Mai are very cheap, like less than $100 return.

I only did the 13k last weekend and running through jungle was pretty amazing. It's a beautiful region, beautiful people and great/cheap food. I'll put you guys up, while in Bangkok? It's worth double points in running stones. You must be due for a family holiday Coastal and Doc/Matt?
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

That would be quite the adventure. Despite living in SE QLD for the best part of 13 years, I still struggle with humidity. I'm signed up for UTK this year in December, so won't be joining you unfortunately. There are whispers amongst some of my friends about tackling Comrades next year though.
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

Currently tackling a sore foot and haven't run for a few weeks. Between my physio being popular and my work commitments, it's been hard getting in and getting it sorted.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

I've had a sore foot since UTA, and had it checked out by a local (and very expensive) doctor. I was trying to explain to her that I thought I had a tiny rock embedded in my foot. She said 'nah, I think it's just a corn' ... then she just dug it out with her fingernail. I was squirming on the bed, she asks 'does that hurt', I replied 'yes'. She just goes straight back in with the nail.

It feels much better now though. Will be nice to get back out for a few runs this weekend, without compensating for a sore foot.

Let us know how UTK goes, it's on the bucket list. You doing the 100k or miler?