Health and fitness

The social club of The Greenhouse

Moderator: GH Moderators

How healthy and happy are you?

Super healthy = Could trial for the Raiders
6%
Moderately healthy = I've got a six pack or at least I am trying to
34%
Slightly healthy = I eat junk and healthy stuff but I do walk (sometimes)
28%
Unhealthy = The only six pack I've got is for drinking
28%
Extremely unhealthy = Just don't ask
4%

Total votes: 53

-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Re: Health and fitness

Post by -PJ- »

:welcome: a
gergreg wrote: September 8, 2023, 12:37 pm I've had a sore foot since UTA, and had it checked out by a local (and very expensive) doctor. I was trying to explain to her that I thought I had a tiny rock embedded in my foot. She said 'nah, I think it's just a corn' ... then she just dug it out with her fingernail. I was squirming on the bed, she asks 'does that hurt', I replied 'yes'. She just goes straight back in with the nail.

It feels much better now though. Will be nice to get back out for a few runs this weekend, without compensating for a sore foot.

Let us know how UTK goes, it's on the bucket list. You doing the 100k or miler?
All that medical training, years and years of studying and she uses her fingernail.
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

gergreg wrote:I've had a sore foot since UTA, and had it checked out by a local (and very expensive) doctor. I was trying to explain to her that I thought I had a tiny rock embedded in my foot. She said 'nah, I think it's just a corn' ... then she just dug it out with her fingernail. I was squirming on the bed, she asks 'does that hurt', I replied 'yes'. She just goes straight back in with the nail.

It feels much better now though. Will be nice to get back out for a few runs this weekend, without compensating for a sore foot.

Don't think that I'm crazy enough for a miler
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

-PJ- wrote::welcome: a
gergreg wrote: September 8, 2023, 12:37 pm I've had a sore foot since UTA, and had it checked out by a local (and very expensive) doctor. I was trying to explain to her that I thought I had a tiny rock embedded in my foot. She said 'nah, I think it's just a corn' ... then she just dug it out with her fingernail. I was squirming on the bed, she asks 'does that hurt', I replied 'yes'. She just goes straight back in with the nail.

All that medical training, years and years of studying and she uses her fingernail.
So long as she washed it after picking her nose, should be fine.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Was a fun visit to the hospital. My foot gouged and then a sunspot (I think) lasered off my scalp.
Shoving it in your face since 2017
Coastalraider
David Furner
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Coastalraider »

I just DNFd surf coast century with an ongoing neuroma issue in my foot. Pulled out at 50k and went to the pub.

Off to the podiatrist again.. next step is injections I think. 4 years with orthotics but it’s getting worse. Bloody annoyed, took a week off to drive the family down. It was a good holiday though.
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

Coastalraider wrote:I just DNFd surf coast century with an ongoing neuroma issue in my foot. Pulled out at 50k and went to the pub.

Off to the podiatrist again.. next step is injections I think. 4 years with orthotics but it’s getting worse. Bloody annoyed, took a week off to drive the family down. It was a good holiday though.
I'd like to jokingly call you names but I can only imagine what you're putting yourself through so I won't

Sent from my SM-S911B using Tapatalk

Edrick The Entertainer
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

Coastalraider wrote:I just DNFd surf coast century with an ongoing neuroma issue in my foot. Pulled out at 50k and went to the pub.

Oh that sucks mate. I've got plantar fasciitis that I'm trying to keep under control while building for kosciuszko. Can imagine it blowing up and seeing me out half way through
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Health and fitness

Post by gangrenous »

Dr Zaius wrote:Oh that sucks mate. I've got plantar fasciitis
I hate fascists!
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Geez mate. You'll go crazy if you need to take an extended break from the sport. Maybe focus on swimming for a while?
EJ
David Furner

Post by EJ »

Hello all. Excuse my absence, Zaius is writing me up a note.

I'm now a Melbournian but I promise I'm still alright.

I can't even remember if I posted about doing the Mt Bulla Spartan back in Feb? But that was my first race since pre covid and went pretty well.

I've got my eyes on a few races first half of next year and it's been quite a few years since I was this motivated and excited. First up is the Bright Spartan, going for the ultra. Anybody done the Bright course before?

P.S. I also cannot go to Chiang Mai in December. Not only will I not be near fit enough for that so soon, I'll be using up all my leave for various adventures next year

Hope you're all well

Sent from my SM-S906E using Tapatalk

Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

Was Chiang Mai the crazy adventure race? If so, that's such a shame. I haven't done a Spartan for at least 5 years. Never done the Bright one. A bit of a challenge to get to...
EJ
David Furner

Post by EJ »

Oh ****, has it been that long since I posted? No my thing was a tuktuk through India thing. That ended up being 3000km in 2 weeks at an average speed of 35km/h. Do the math - a LOT of driving. It was wild and definitely an experience lol

Made a bit of a vid from the trip if anyone's interested

Chiang Mai was referencing gerg's 100km thing he offered an open invite to

Yeah my first Bright Spartan now that I'm in the state. Still a 4+ hour drive each way but very keen

bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

now that, in comparison to my life pre march this year, I'm crazy fit and tasted competitive xc riding I've decided to pencil in 3 for next year.
Convict 100 in May I'll probably do the 44km.
Wollombi Wild ride I'll do 32km again but have a real crack.
MS Gong ride not a race but an 82km commitment to a mate.

Looking for another race maybe dungog or awaba might have one that suits

Edrick The Entertainer
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

EJ wrote:Oh ****, has it been that long since I posted? No my thing was a tuktuk through India thing. That ended up being 3000km in 2 weeks at an average speed of 35km/h. Do the math - a LOT of driving. It was wild and definitely an experience lol

Yeah my first Bright Spartan now that I'm in the state. Still a 4+ hour drive each way but very keen

Looks a bit crazy, but fun. Hope the guts have recovered? Why have you become a Mexican, I thought you'd never move from Western Sydney?

Had to reconsider the Chiang Mai race due to tearing a muscle in about July. Just coming good now. My wife has started to really enjoy running and I'm trying to talk her into Ultra Trail Jeju for next year. Will probably be better for our marriage if I talk her into the 50 instead of 100.

So many good events these days but just not enough time or money.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

bonehead wrote:now that, in comparison to my life pre march this year, I'm crazy fit and tasted competitive xc riding I've decided to pencil in 3 for next year.

I've heard that Convict trail is pretty cool.
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

EJ wrote:Oh ****, has it been that long since I posted? No my thing was a tuktuk through India thing. That ended up being 3000km in 2 weeks at an average speed of 35km/h. Do the math - a LOT of driving. It was wild and definitely an experience lol

That is hectic. Crazy. What an adventure!
EJ
David Furner

Post by EJ »

gerg wrote:

Looks a bit crazy, but fun. Hope the guts have recovered? Why have you become a Mexican, I thought you'd never move from Western Sydney?

Had to reconsider the Chiang Mai race due to tearing a muscle in about July. Just coming good now. My wife has started to really enjoy running and I'm trying to talk her into Ultra Trail Jeju for next year. Will probably be better for our marriage if I talk her into the 50 instead of 100.

So many good events these days but just not enough time or money.
Mexican for financial and lifestyle reasons, but I also have way more friends here than in Sydney nowadays too. Work also found me a role down here too, so it all made a lot of sense.

I haven't signed up for it yet, but Ive got my eyes on next year's Canberra marathon. I just know I can set a new PB and will be going on a couple of holidays in the months after that so won't be fit for the flatter courses in Sydney or Melbourne. Lemme know if any of y'all are also interested!

Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

I'm planning on Comrades next year, and will likely do Canberra Marathon as my qualifier.
EJ
David Furner

Post by EJ »

Right on, Doc

Coastalraider
David Furner

Post by Coastalraider »

gerg wrote: November 6, 2023, 10:53 pm
bonehead wrote:now that, in comparison to my life pre march this year, I'm crazy fit and tasted competitive xc riding I've decided to pencil in 3 for next year.

I've heard that Convict trail is pretty cool.
Convict is fantastic - I did the 100 this year and absolutely loved it, really old school adventure - fully recommend.

Well after dnf-ing surf coast I cracked the **** with my foot and myself, changed a coupe of things and went and smashed lonely mountain ultra 100k. Have now had steroid injections - not sure it’s the answer but in the middle of 2 weeks of no running which is driving me nuts, but it’s been fun getting out on the kayak early mornings to keep the blood flowing. I’m pacing a mate
For the last 60 odd Ks and Kosci miler, so need to get back on the feet soon.
Coastalraider
David Furner

Post by Coastalraider »

Dr Zaius wrote: September 19, 2023, 7:04 pm

Oh that sucks mate. I've got plantar fasciitis that I'm trying to keep under control while building for kosciuszko. Can imagine it blowing up and seeing me out half way through
How did Kosciusko go mate? Tough conditions. I raced in Singapore the weekend before for work and bought covid back so spent most of the week locked in the Jindy hotel and missed most of the run. Got out Friday in time to crew my mate, but he passed out at 100k for about 10 seconds and pulled the plug. No pacing, and season is officially done.
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

It was **** tough. That was the most that I've suffered in a race. I'll post what I wrote about it.
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

Ultra-Trail Kosciuszko 100. Well that was one hell of a day out. Its a new course and I significantly underestimated how difficult it would be. Extreme terrain and extreme conditions. Literally rain, hail and shine, as well as wind and a thunderstorm. It very nearly broke me.

The race was set in the Jindabyne region, a place pretty special to me from all the summer holidays that I spent there as a kid. The course is a measured 106km (6 bonus km - yay!) starting and finishing at Friday Flat, Thredbo (elevation 1365m).

The start was a nice little tickler. We hiked up a ski slope, then ran along some mountain bike trails to Eagles Nest. 585m climb over 5km to set the mood of the day. This part was absolutely stunning with blankets of wild flowers and an elevated view back down to Thredbo Village.

After Eagles Nest, we had 5km of "the cheese grater", a raised iron mesh so named for its tendency to remove vast layers of flesh from people who stack it while running on it. This was an enforced walking section, which meant slow going, but allowed time to enjoy the views of more wildflowers, lakes, snow and Mt Kosciuszko. It's amazing to look around from the top of the continent, see as far away as Victoria and take in the vastness. It was very, very windy.

The cheese grater took us to the base of the peak of Mt Kosciuszko. We followed the road to the summit of Australia's highest peak (2228m), and got the mandatory photo. For the briefest of moments the highest point in mainland Australia was the top of my head. We carried on to Charlotte's Pass along the Main Range Trail. More cheese grater. More wind. Much of the non cheese grater path was big stepping stones which were hard to get a rhythm running on. About 50m of snow to cross.

We crossed a pretty little creek, a fairly steep but short hill to hike up and then ran down into Charlotte's Pass for a checkpoint. This was one of my favourite parts of the day. There is one road in and out of the alpine village, that we had to run down. It was lined with cars and supporters and crew walking to the checkpoint, calling out your name, cheering you on ringing cow bells. It had a real Ultra-Trail Monte Blonc vibe. Very cool.

From Charlotte's Pass to a check point at Guthega Village, more cheese grater, more technical terrain, still not a lot of great running. Onwards from Guthega along some very narrow single trail, still difficult to run on, then finally, finally some nice runnable trail. I was feeling pretty good at this stage. It was short lived. We surfaced onto Kosciuszko Rd. A lot of down hill. By then it was hot, around 28C. Running downhill for 40 minutes in the middle of the day fried me. I went from feeling good to feeling pretty ordinary.

A checkpoint at the Sawpit Camp Grounds, where family were waiting for me. A nice little lift to the spirits. Along the Sawpit trail, reasonably runnable, to the trout hatchery check point. Very exposed. Very hot. I stuck my head under the water tap, wet my hat to try to cool down. To no avail.

Then onto the Thredbo Valley Trail which runs between Jindabyne and Thredbo. Stunning trail through bush along the cascading Thredbo River. Very runnable if you have fresh legs and not hyperthermic. Unfortunately that did not describe me at this point. Pretty sure that my body temperature was at an unhealthy level. I was dizzy and losing balance. Just could not cool down. Joined many of the other runners bailing water out of the river over their heads. Just could not cool down. It was a long way between checkpoints, 19km. I thought that if I wasn't right by the check point, I'd have to pull out. It wasn't safe being out there in the dark like that.

And then my saviour! A thunderstorm. I got drenched. Soooooo good! Half an hour of running in the rain and I felt much, much better. Family sent me on my way from Bullock's Flat check point. 17km to go, Thredbo bound, one checkpoint along the way. Quite muddy at first, trail churned up by the 27km and 50km runners the day before. But the rest of it was lovely undulating, but quite obviously uphill. Apparently it hailed. I didn't notice. Arrived at Thredbo and the finish line. Awesome atmosphere. Happy to be finished. Spent.

It was hard to estimate a goal finish time for a new course. Going off my recent performances at similar distances, I was aiming for 14 hours. I was over 3 hours slower than that, by far the biggest blow out in that time was while I was stumbling around like a confused lunatic in the bush. It's not been ideal preparation. In September at times I was having trouble walking due to an injury (thanks for fixing me super physio Kyle Weise). Then 48 hours before the race I got lympadenitis from a tick bite 10 days before. I also received a reminder that drinking 750mL of pure beetroot juice the day before an ultra, or anytime really, is not a good idea. I got 188th out of 613 starters, and 11th out of the 36 finishers in my category. That's around were I usually finish. 19% of people who started didn't finish. I'm just happy to have finished this one.
ImageImageImageImageImage
Coastalraider
David Furner

Post by Coastalraider »

I love a good journey mate. If it was easy, everyone would do it. Really tough day out too.

What’s next??
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

Coastalraider wrote:I love a good journey mate. If it was easy, everyone would do it. Really tough day out too.

What’s next??
A bit of a break, I've done 5 100km ultras and a 46 in 14 months!

I've got Comrades in June. I'll need to do a road marathon first quarter of next year to post a qualifying time.
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

Pretty annoyed.

Was making good progress in the gym only to sustain an elbow injury. Tendinitis, I think.

Dr Zaius, any sage wisdom? Just taking arthrexin and lots of heat after a few days of ice

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk

The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

dubby wrote:Pretty annoyed.

Was making good progress in the gym only to sustain an elbow injury. Tendinitis, I think.

Dr Zaius, any sage wisdom? Just taking arthrexin and lots of heat after a few days of ice

Avoid repetitive actions with your elbow Dubs
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

Dr Zaius wrote:

I see what you did there Doc

Edrick The Entertainer
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

bonehead wrote:
Dr Zaius wrote:

I see what you did there Doc

Classic Sommers

The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Nice to read your race report Doc. Sounds like a huge slog, and nice to overcome those mental demons. You make it sound a little unappealing? Was it as bad a course as you described? It's probably on my bucket list. I might do the Srichinmoy 100 first though and also the normal UTA course. Too many good options around to waste on a boring course.

My wife is really enjoying her running I'm still trying to talk her into a 50 in South Korea but not sure if it will happen in 2024. Any insight Coastal?

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

gerg wrote:Nice to read your race report Doc. Sounds like a huge slog, and nice to overcome those mental demons. You make it sound a little unappealing? Was it as bad a course as you described? It's probably on my bucket list. I might do the Srichinmoy 100 first though and also the normal UTA course. Too many good options around to waste on a boring course.

My wife is really enjoying her running I'm still trying to talk her into a 50 in South Korea but not sure if it will happen in 2024. Any insight Coastal?

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk
I think that it's definitely worth doing. It's my 6th 95+ km ultra, and it was my hardest. I think because I got so hot. I was really enjoying it until I spontaneously combusted. Any race this length you're going to be hating life at some point. The only exception for me was my first UTA100, which I loved every minute of. UTA is still my favourite, I'd definitely give that a go. I've been eyeing off Sri Chinmoy also.
EJ
David Furner

Post by EJ »

Epic race report, Doc

In contrast to gerg, I actually think your report makes it sound appealing. Completely fkd to actually go through in the moment but after it's all done? That's a chef's kiss experience.

No idea how your body stays put together for all those ultras in such a short amount of time.

I'm not gonna be where I'd ideally want to be for Spartan Bright Ultra, but everything is going about to plan in the time given. Def keen on both Canberra mara and Spartan Picton Beast. I'm excited to do quite well in Picton in particular.

After that I've got a couple of holidays for the rest of the year and will assess whether I wanna continue with endurance stuff moving forward!

gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

EJ wrote: December 18, 2023, 9:31 am Epic race report, Doc Image

In contrast to gerg, I actually think your report makes it sound appealing. Completely fkd to actually go through in the moment but after it's all done? That's a chef's kiss experience.

No idea how your body stays put together for all those ultras in such a short amount of time.

I'm not gonna be where I'd ideally want to be for Spartan Bright Ultra, but everything is going about to plan in the time given. Def keen on both Canberra mara and Spartan Picton Beast. I'm excited to do quite well in Picton in particular.

After that I've got a couple of holidays for the rest of the year and will assess whether I wanna continue with endurance stuff moving forward!

It was mainly the comments about sections of the course being unrunnable - cheese grater etc. but he has assured us/me that it is worth doing so it’s back on that list of buckets.

And mate, you’re too young to retire from sports which grind you into the dust. It’s all about finding the right balance for you. You could go mental like Doc and Coastal and run like Goggins or pick one event each year like me and have a distinct training block, and outside of that block just run for enjoyment?
EJ
David Furner

Post by EJ »

I don't see myself stopping running. I genuinely enjoy my Sunday trail runs and I like the fitness benefits of running. But I don't like entering a race if I'm not at or near optimum fitness. I'm not sure yet if I want to continue with that kind of commitment much longer, that's all.

I've also picked multiple permanent injuries (I guess you just called them disabilities now?) over years and that always gives me pause. Anyway, we'll see. I'm super hyped for my next 5 months.

Changing subjects, has anyone ever run in a pair of super shoes? I saw Alphaflys on sale for $260 over Black Friday, so I pulled the trigger. I've only run in them once. Will do a long run or two in them before Canberra but mainly just have them for race day. My one experience in them is they are legit cheat shoes lol. It's wild how fresh my legs felt after the run and how springy they felt during. They look utterly ridiculous. I call them my clown shoes. And they also make weird noises as you run, so I definitely feel self conscious striding around in them. But keen to see how I perform and pull up with them in Canberra.

Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

I haven't worn super shoes as all of my in the last 5 years or so have been trail. In saying that Nike recently brought out a trail supershoe. A friend who has a road pair bought a trail pair and wasn't nearly as impressed.

In the lead up to Comrades, and having to run a qualifier (probably Canberra) I'll likely get a pair. It's at a point now where you are putting yourself at a disadvantage if you don't have a pair, given so many people do. I'm not a fan of the concept though.

I listen to The Real Science of Sport Podcast with Ross Tucker. Great podcast. He talks about them every now and then. Like me he does not like the concept but is pragmatic. He says that the advantage is not just on race day but in training. If you train in them, you can train at higher intensity and recover more quickly.