Health and fitness

The social club of The Greenhouse

Moderator: GH Moderators

How healthy and happy are you?

Super healthy = Could trial for the Raiders
6%
Moderately healthy = I've got a six pack or at least I am trying to
34%
Slightly healthy = I eat junk and healthy stuff but I do walk (sometimes)
28%
Unhealthy = The only six pack I've got is for drinking
28%
Extremely unhealthy = Just don't ask
4%

Total votes: 53

gerg
Laurie Daley

Re: Health and fitness

Post by gerg »

Oooof... what a totally **** course that is. I'm never running that event again. First 20k I smashed out in 2.15 and feeling great - the arboretum section was wonderful. Just after the 10k turning point there was some truly magnificent single track through some pines. Was lovely. For me this is what running is all about - moments like that bring me much joy.

Then back at stromlo Park and the torture commences. Not quite straight over Stromlo but bad enough. The next 30k is just awful, truly awful. Sure I was BOP but it felt like everybody around me spent more time walking, than running. Up a steep hill ... walking. Then the 'downs' were also too steep for me to run because I didn't want to go **** over. It put so much pressure on my knees and ankles, by the last 5k I was starting to cramp up in my lower thighs just above the knee, my hips felt like they were going to seize up, knees shot and my ankles really sore.

You'd run up a hill then down then up again. This IMO is just lazy course design. Chatting to my fellow walkers, nobody was enjoying it. One guy commented between swear words that it was 'just dull' and he was right.

Us long distance runners are a mad lot. But the key word there is 'runners'. If I wanted to take up **** mountaineering I'd **** take up mountaineering.

I was so glad to reach that finish line and had a special family moment where my girls both spontaneously ran out to meet me for the last 100 metres and ran over the finish line with me. Definitely the highlight of the day.

So yeah first 20k in 2.15
Last 30k in a big **** you 4.30, or thereabouts. Weather was pretty good. Was meant to rain all day but I think there was a handful of drops and it wasn't hot. That course would suck even more in November, when it is usually held.

Time to give the knees a rest for a few months, dust off the bike and ride for a bit. Haven't touched the bike since my eye surgery about 3 years ago.
Shoving it in your face since 2017
Coastalraider
David Furner
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Coastalraider »

Oh mate, that’s sounds amazing finishing like that! Well done to you, a great achievement especially with a rough lead in.

Tomorrows going to hurt, but enjoy the pain!
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Haha... my wife has suggested I do a triathlon now. She's a little evil I think.

What tech are you wearing on your wrist these days coastal? I've been using an old 910xt - I think I may have bought this from you years ago? I think I'm well overdue for an upgrade. The Epix2 looks amazing, brighter screen and touch screen... but not sure I want to spend that much. Rebel usually have a few good sales at tax time and Christmas so happy to wait. I've had a look at a few fenix 6 reviews and it's probably enough watch for me but that touch screen is pretty tempting to wait for.
Coastalraider
David Furner

Post by Coastalraider »

I’m using an old Coros at the moment, and bought a second hand one to see if I like their systems vs Garmin. Pretty good for running, and much better battery life, but doesn’t interact with all my virtual training platforms for bike and treadmill, so I think I’m going back to a Garmin soon… the enduro looks the goods, but I’m still deciding which child to sell to afford one of those.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Yeah they're very expensive. There is the fenix 6 on sale at jb hifi for 750... very tempting but maybe they'll come down a little further in price later in the year?
EJ
David Furner

Post by EJ »

gergreg wrote: March 5, 2022, 2:21 pm Oooof... what a totally **** course that is. I'm never running that event again. First 20k I smashed out in 2.15 and feeling great - the arboretum section was wonderful. Just after the 10k turning point there was some truly magnificent single track through some pines. Was lovely. For me this is what running is all about - moments like that bring me much joy.

Then back at stromlo Park and the torture commences. Not quite straight over Stromlo but bad enough. The next 30k is just awful, truly awful. Sure I was BOP but it felt like everybody around me spent more time walking, than running. Up a steep hill ... walking. Then the 'downs' were also too steep for me to run because I didn't want to go **** over. It put so much pressure on my knees and ankles, by the last 5k I was starting to cramp up in my lower thighs just above the knee, my hips felt like they were going to seize up, knees shot and my ankles really sore.

You'd run up a hill then down then up again. This IMO is just lazy course design. Chatting to my fellow walkers, nobody was enjoying it. One guy commented between swear words that it was 'just dull' and he was right.

Us long distance runners are a mad lot. But the key word there is 'runners'. If I wanted to take up **** mountaineering I'd **** take up mountaineering.

I was so glad to reach that finish line and had a special family moment where my girls both spontaneously ran out to meet me for the last 100 metres and ran over the finish line with me. Definitely the highlight of the day.

So yeah first 20k in 2.15
Last 30k in a big **** you 4.30, or thereabouts. Weather was pretty good. Was meant to rain all day but I think there was a handful of drops and it wasn't hot. That course would suck even more in November, when it is usually held.

Time to give the knees a rest for a few months, dust off the bike and ride for a bit. Haven't touched the bike since my eye surgery about 3 years ago.
lol sounds good tbh. Out of curiosity, what was your total recorded elevation gain?
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Of course you'd love it you mountain goat. I'll check my watch later, not sure it has that metric, but at a guess it was up and down pretty consistently for the last 30k and it was an even split of up and down. So I'll go out on a limb and say there was 15km of elevation.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

My old watch is telling me 10k of elevation. I think I need a new watch.

Would you blokes be interested in a team event? Sri chinmoy 100? We could try and hunt down doc and do 25 each? It's second week of September.
Coastalraider
David Furner

Post by Coastalraider »

gergreg wrote: March 11, 2022, 11:36 am My old watch is telling me 10k of elevation. I think I need a new watch.

Would you blokes be interested in a team event? Sri chinmoy 100? We could try and hunt down doc and do 25 each? It's second week of September.
I’ve done stupider things.
Coastalraider
David Furner

Post by Coastalraider »

Will it interrupt our finals run? Or is that our home prelim week?
EJ
David Furner

Post by EJ »

Gerg, prob need new watch

The year they extended it to 54km and we did two trips up The Mother, my watch registered 1.4km elevation

I could be up for Sri Chinmoy actually. But yes, Coastals is a pertinent question, however optimistic that mentality might be

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk

FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Phil Graham

Post by FuiFui BradBrad »

My weight loss results since January last year. May was when I knuckled down and decided to start losing for good.

Today I hit 81kg. Lowest I’ve been as an adult. I started to stall at 82 since January, but this week I’ve taken a plunge into the 81’s.

Keep going, about 5-6kgs to go
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has done a superb job - 18/12/2020
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
Coastalraider
David Furner

Post by Coastalraider »

That’s huge Fui, mine seems to be the inverse of that!

Keep it up mate, really great stuff.
Rick
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: Daley

Post by Rick »

Classic Christmas blip. Well done buddy!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
EJ
David Furner

Post by EJ »

That's huge, Fui, good on you. Really impressive

Sid
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Shannon Boyd

Post by Sid »

Great work Fui!

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Would have won Boogs - 2016, 2017, 2018

1 part green, 1 part machine
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

That's a great result fui and clearly not 'crash' dieting because you've lost it over a long period, which I believe usually makes it easier to keep off.
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Phil Graham

Post by FuiFui BradBrad »

gergreg wrote:That's a great result fui and clearly not 'crash' dieting because you've lost it over a long period, which I believe usually makes it easier to keep off.
Yeah that’s been the plan, taking my time and making sure the habits I pick up are achievable and stuff I like doing.

It’s been good, I expected the Xmas blip, because I decided to enjoy the Nonna in law’s cooking and ease up on the daily weights, but come Jan it dropped as quickly as it gained.
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has done a superb job - 18/12/2020
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

That's fantastic work mate well done!
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

gergreg wrote:Yeah they're very expensive. There is the fenix 6 on sale at jb hifi for 750... very tempting but maybe they'll come down a little further in price later in the year?
More of the fenix 6 range is on sale at jb hifi at the moment so I'm going to get one. I went in store on Thursday and the 6x is massive. I jokingly said to my wife that it was like strapping a phone to my wrist.

I think I'll go with the 6 pro - I do prefer the size of the 6s but I want the extra battery life on the 6 pro.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

EJ wrote:Gerg, prob need new watch Image

The year they extended it to 54km and we did two trips up The Mother, my watch registered 1.4km elevation

I could be up for Sri Chinmoy actually. But yes, Coastals is a pertinent question, however optimistic that mentality might be

I emailed doc a few weeks ago and he asked for a bit more info so I sent him the link.

https://au.srichinmoyraces.org/canberratrailultra
EJ
David Furner

Post by EJ »

Ok yeah, injury permitting, count me in!
Coastalraider
David Furner

Post by Coastalraider »

I’m a ‘soft’ yes for this, one of my work races in on at the sunny coast that weekend so I might be unavailable, but it sounds like fun!

Did the AAA at Kosciusko a few weeks back and got owned, Easter weekend did a 6 hour last man standing event. Currently cram training for a four day MTB stage race with work next month…. I’m a goddam glutton for punishment.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Sorry guys just coming back around to this. Doc has too much on.

I'm considering UTA instead. Tickets go on sale on Thursday morning. It's a bucket list race... but **** me I've been looking at accommodation for that weekend and places are charging a 1000 a night. It's **** robbery and there isn't much available. Where did you guys stay? @Coastalraider, @Dr Zaius @EJ
Coastalraider
David Furner

Post by Coastalraider »

I took the camper trailer to the tourist park at Blackheath, they have cabins as well mate.
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

Coastalraider wrote:I took the camper trailer to the tourist park at Blackheath, they have cabins as well mate.
my Aunt lives in that park

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk

Edrick The Entertainer
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

Hey lads, I haven't posted in a while in this thread, but just wanted to stop by and let you know I ran my first 10km event last Sunday, the Rocky River Run. Pretty stoked considering how poor a Summer I'd had preparation wise.
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

Nice one Nicko.

Gergreg, got a AirBnb this year and last. Just keep jumping on and looking. People pull out of the time and properties come and go
Begbie
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Smash Williams

Post by Begbie »

Take the dog for a 3km walk each day. Thinking about jogging it later this week.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Ok, my social life is gone for the next 5 months. Meh who am I kidding I don't have one. Got a uta100 entry today.
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

gergreg wrote:Ok, my social life is gone for the next 5 months. Meh who am I kidding I don't have one. Got a uta100 entry today.
Woot!
Coastalraider
David Furner

Post by Coastalraider »

Nice!!! I have one but likely won’t be able to do it. In May it clashed with Sydney Half Mara, the new date clashes with Noosa Tri, so I’m likely to be up in qld for work.
EJ
David Furner

Post by EJ »

I also used an Airbnb when I did UTA. Widen your search to nearby towns if you haven't already and just be prepared time wise to possibly park quite away from the starting area on the morning of. And goodluck! Could be the warmest UTA yet in October!

And that's fine about Sri Chinmoy personally lol, I am now tracing back his roots and holidaying in India in September myself

gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

CR, will you be competing at Noosa or just working?

EJ, India would be quite the experience. You'll have to tell us all about it - maybe an update to the 'travel' thread which hasn't been touched for 2+ years.

I found some cheaper accommodation at Mt Victoria so that's all sorted. According to Google maps it's about 20/30 minutes drive from the event centre. Just need a new jacket and a few other items and I'm all set ... oh and the training too.
EJ
David Furner

Post by EJ »

Yeah, India will be about 2500km by our own tuktuk. Did about 1000km in Sri Lanka in 2019 and it was an amazing time, so stepping it up to the big leagues

What jackets are you looking at? I've just bought a new shell myself, Zeolite from Kathmandu. Made from Gore-Tex Shakedry. Super light and packable and proper waterproof not just resistant. Also very breathable compared to other jackets. So all the reviews and marketing say anyway. Haven't put it to the test yet since it's finally stopped raining.