Health and fitness

The social club of The Greenhouse

Moderator: GH Moderators

How healthy and happy are you?

Super healthy = Could trial for the Raiders
6%
Moderately healthy = I've got a six pack or at least I am trying to
34%
Slightly healthy = I eat junk and healthy stuff but I do walk (sometimes)
28%
Unhealthy = The only six pack I've got is for drinking
28%
Extremely unhealthy = Just don't ask
4%

Total votes: 53

gerg
Laurie Daley

Re: Health and fitness

Post by gerg »

Would you recommend physio straight away or rest and recovery for a few months, then physio?
Shoving it in your face since 2017
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

I'd go see what a physio has to say. If you leave it, you will decondition and the recovery will be longer, harder and less successful. They'd likely give you some gentle range of motion and strengthening exercises.
Manchild
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Past: Brad Clyde
Present: Shaun Fensom

Post by Manchild »

I did my meniscus when i was a teenager and had to wait until I was 18 to get surgery. My knee used to lock in either the straight position or bent and i couldnt move it for days.

The first surgery I got was to pin the cartilage together and hoped it healed together. Well that failed and it tore again within days by doing barely anything.

Next surgery they just cut the chunk of cartilage out. My knee still has problems to this day some 20 years later.
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

I have femoroacetabular acetabular impingement in my hip. My doc has avoided arthroscopy, stating he will only recommend that until every other avenue has been explored. Reckons I'm too young for any kind of hip surgery, and that more doctors are not racing into arthroscopic surgery in these cases

Sent from my SM-G950F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk

The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Had my first physio appointment on Thursday and it went well. He gave me some stretches to do, daily, to stretch and strengthen the muscles around the knee. Quad, calf and glute stretches and some single leg squats. Then he did a quick thigh massage to get rid of a few nasty knots and then a heat pack. He seemed confident that I'd be running again in a few months - he'd had a similar injury a few years ago and he regularly does 10 - 15 km runs and cycles a lot. So that was reassuring.
Coastalraider
David Furner
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Coastalraider »

That’s great news!
EJ
David Furner

Post by EJ »

Few months is a great deal, gerg. Take it as a good break off running. Enjoy it.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Coastalraider
David Furner

Post by Coastalraider »

And think of it this way Gerg - its spring, and you cant run. Its the perfect excuse to get on the bike!!!
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

The magpies will love having me back on the bike. I have another physio appointment tomorrow and the stretches/exercises have been going well so far.
Coastalraider
David Furner

Post by Coastalraider »

Sydney marathon tomorrow!

I’ll be running this one on short notice to help raise money for a friends family, who have just been rocked by the dignaosis of aggressive breast cancer. Kitty, my fiends wife, has been training for a year for this, to celebrate her 42nd birthday with her first marathon. She was diagnosed 2 weeks ago, will still attempt the run tomorrow, and go for surgery to remove the cancer on Wednesday. She’s an amazing woman!
Coastalraider
David Furner

Post by Coastalraider »

If anyone has a spare$ and feels generous, feel free to donate 😊

https://www.backit.com.au/projects/ks-for-kitty/
EJ
David Furner

Post by EJ »

How did you, Nick?

Nothing like a short notice marathon.

Coastalraider
David Furner

Post by Coastalraider »

EJ wrote: October 5, 2018, 12:55 am How did you, Nick?

Nothing like a short notice marathon.

Hey mate,

I realised pretty early that I didnt have a great 42k in me, so ran hard to 30k, then backed off and enjoyed the sunshine. Used it as a long training day with aid stations! Ive started using a coach, and I tried a few different nutritional things as well which was great to validate at race pace before ironman next year - still ran a 10 minute PB. That says more about my other marathons than anything though...

Are you doing Spartan this weekend?
EJ
David Furner

Post by EJ »

Lol ran hard for 30km. Ok so you're in good shape. That's great to hear mate.

Yeah I did Spartan today. It was at a new venue which was pretty disappointing. Much flatter and and course measured short by most accounts. Plus it was a very weak field. Sydney Spartans are traditionally the toughest course and most competitive field in the country, so yeah a bit disappointing.

But still good racing for me and I'm essentially using it as a training run for World's Toughest Mudder in a month.

Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

I had three weeks of holidays sitting on my ****, eating twice as usual and having a few beers everyday. Unsurprisingly I came back heavier, slower and more unfit. I'm the wrong side of 40 now and notice that every time I lose a bit of fitness, it's really difficult to get back

Still I'm still on track to complete my goal for the year - one race 10km or more per month. Last week I did a 25km trail run
I did better than I thought I would given how much training I'd done, but man was I sore afterwards.
EJ
David Furner

Post by EJ »

Wow, that's a lot of racing, Doc. Nice one.

You should take confidence that many endurance athletes keep performing very well well into their 40s.

Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

EJ wrote:Wow, that's a lot of racing, Doc. Nice one.

You should take confidence that many endurance athletes keep performing very well well into their 40s.

Haha. I still feel great. There are just little reminders here and there that my fitness wasn't what it was 2-3 years ago and is unlikely to ever be. My crap diet doesn't help. I'm about 6kg heavier than this time last year
Coastalraider
David Furner

Post by Coastalraider »

EJ wrote: October 6, 2018, 11:52 pm Lol ran hard for 30km. Ok so you're in good shape. That's great to hear mate.

Yeah I did Spartan today. It was at a new venue which was pretty disappointing. Much flatter and and course measured short by most accounts. Plus it was a very weak field. Sydney Spartans are traditionally the toughest course and most competitive field in the country, so yeah a bit disappointing.

But still good racing for me and I'm essentially using it as a training run for World's Toughest Mudder in a month.

Sounds like a fiar day out, even if it was a dissapointing course and field.

Where is Worlds Toughest mudder this year?
Brewdle
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Love em all

Post by Brewdle »

Been about 4 years since I left the public service, dropped about 60 kilos , 5 or 6 sizes, been actively trying to drop it the last 12 months. Pretty pleased!

I got gifted a Roos jersey for my 40th, it had never fit me, been hanging in the cupboard for 10 years, I wore it comfortably to watch the Test Saturday

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

Brewdle wrote:Been about 4 years since I left the public service, dropped about 60 kilos , 5 or 6 sizes, been actively trying to drop it the last 12 months. Pretty pleased!

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
Schifty
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson

Post by Schifty »

Brewdle wrote: October 22, 2018, 5:06 pm Been about 4 years since I left the public service, dropped about 60 kilos , 5 or 6 sizes, been actively trying to drop it the last 12 months. Pretty pleased!

I got gifted a Roos jersey for my 40th, it had never fit me, been hanging in the cupboard for 10 years, I wore it comfortably to watch the Test Saturday Image

That's an amazing effort :o

Congratulations!
Coastalraider
David Furner

Post by Coastalraider »

Great work Brewdle!!
Brewdle
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Love em all

Post by Brewdle »

Cheers

Coastalraider
David Furner

Post by Coastalraider »

EJ, when is worlds toughest Mudder?

Does anyone else have any game goals this summer??
KingDynamite
Chris O'Sullivan
Favourite Player: Jordan Rapana

Post by KingDynamite »

I’ve really enjoyed reading this thread but haven’t been particularly active. I decided to join up for Movember TY and committed to running the 60ks over the month.

Did my first ParkRun and longest run in over 5 years last Saturday. I managed to get through the 5ks in 42 minutes which I was actually happy with.

I am keen to do this every week and see how I do. I’m also running another two times per week (2-3ks). As I drop some weight and get fitter I would love to complete a 10ker in the near future.

I’ll keep you guys posted with how I go!

I really enjoy reading your stories about the various things you all do, it’s great and keep it up!
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

Good work KD. Parkrun is a great way to get back into it.

On another note I had my ingrown toenail resected on the weekend and now the toe is looking infected. I've got a 25km trail run on Sunday
Coastalraider
David Furner

Post by Coastalraider »

KingDynamite wrote: November 7, 2018, 6:03 pm I’ve really enjoyed reading this thread but haven’t been particularly active. I decided to join up for Movember TY and committed to running the 60ks over the month.

Did my first ParkRun and longest run in over 5 years last Saturday. I managed to get through the 5ks in 42 minutes which I was actually happy with.

I am keen to do this every week and see how I do. I’m also running another two times per week (2-3ks). As I drop some weight and get fitter I would love to complete a 10ker in the near future.

I’ll keep you guys posted with how I go!

I really enjoy reading your stories about the various things you all do, it’s great and keep it up!
Mate the hard part is starting.

Well done, and keep us updated!
KingDynamite
Chris O'Sullivan

Post by KingDynamite »

Crazy morning, woken up by the 4 month old at 4am she covered myself and the wife in vomit and didn’t go back to sleep at all. Still I refused to miss ParkRun and packed the 18 month old and the 6yo in the car and thought I might just walk with the pram.

Well, I couldn’t get the pram straps to work (I spent 25 minutes on them!) so I missed park run and took the two boys to the park instead.

Still I had to go for my run. Got the youngest boy to bed and took the eldest out for a run. We did 5ks (my first not in an event type setting) it was much harder than the ParkRun course (trails, across roads etc). My time was slightly worse that lasts weeks PR at 43 minutes. Happy I got it done though. Will be stepping up my mid week runs this week too!
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Well done. I think they suggest about a 10% increase in distance per week. Don't worry too much about your times just try and enjoy the experience. Trail running is a great way to get the best out of running.

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk

Bigcheese
Glenn Lazarus
Favourite Player: The Volcano

Post by Bigcheese »

Does anyone here take or teach TaeKwonDo? Would like to start? Or have kids between the ages of 6 and 16 who’d like to learn?
Coastalraider
David Furner

Post by Coastalraider »

gergreg wrote: November 10, 2018, 1:32 pm Well done. I think they suggest about a 10% increase in distance per week. Don't worry too much about your times just try and enjoy the experience. Trail running is a great way to get the best out of running.

Mate you’re back on the bike!!!!
KingDynamite
Chris O'Sullivan

Post by KingDynamite »

Struggling through some runners knee at the moment. Any tips?
Coastalraider
David Furner

Post by Coastalraider »

KingDynamite wrote: November 13, 2018, 6:34 pm Struggling through some runners knee at the moment. Any tips?
Without knowing any specifics you generally get injuries by either adding distance before the body is ready to cope, or not recovering properly from the kms you are doing.

Are you doing anything to warm up before, and more importantly, are you stretching or foam rolling to loosen up the inevitable tightness??
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Coastalraider wrote:
gergreg wrote: November 10, 2018, 1:32 pm Well done. I think they suggest about a 10% increase in distance per week. Don't worry too much about your times just try and enjoy the experience. Trail running is a great way to get the best out of running.

Mate you’re back on the bike!!!!
Yes. A bit unfit but great to be doing some activity. Hopefully it also helps to strengthen the knee/muscles and hopefully back running again soon.

gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Coastalraider wrote:
KingDynamite wrote: November 13, 2018, 6:34 pm Struggling through some runners knee at the moment. Any tips?
Without knowing any specifics you generally get injuries by either adding distance before the body is ready to cope, or not recovering properly from the kms you are doing.

Are you doing anything to warm up before, and more importantly, are you stretching or foam rolling to loosen up the inevitable tightness??
Agree with CR. Provide a bit more info and somebody might be able to help. Doc?