Health and fitness

The social club of The Greenhouse

Moderator: GH Moderators

How healthy and happy are you?

Super healthy = Could trial for the Raiders
6%
Moderately healthy = I've got a six pack or at least I am trying to
38%
Slightly healthy = I eat junk and healthy stuff but I do walk (sometimes)
25%
Unhealthy = The only six pack I've got is for drinking
27%
Extremely unhealthy = Just don't ask
4%

Total votes: 48

bonehead
Laurie Daley

Re: Health and fitness

Post by bonehead » June 4, 2018, 6:58 am

EJ wrote:
-PJ- wrote:When I was a young man I could run 5k in 17mins..no carp.
Today I couldn't drive it.

I'm not unfit, I'm not even overweight, I'm just in a who cares mode...
Wow. When is the last time you ran?

Sounds like you've got it in you to wipe the floor with any of us.
Peej is an impressive human

Sent from my SM-G950F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Edrick The Entertainer

-PJ-
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Joseph Tapine

Post by -PJ- » June 4, 2018, 7:18 am

EJ wrote:
June 3, 2018, 10:02 pm

I haven't ran anywhere since giving footy away in 1999.

The 17min 5000m was part of a basic fitness test which included push ups(60), situps(100) and chin ups(15).

There was a 23min cut off for the 5k. If you couldn't run 5k in under 23mins they found you alternate employment within defence.

Now that I think back, I was a fairly good middle distance runner. Plenty of zone/regional/state rep during high school which carried on I spose. Played rugby league for Ingleburn RSL while serving along with Army rugby(hated it but got to smash Navy/Airforce girls).
Last edited by -PJ- on June 4, 2018, 7:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:

-PJ-
Laurie Daley

Post by -PJ- » June 4, 2018, 7:20 am

bonehead wrote:
June 4, 2018, 6:58 am
EJ wrote:

Peej is an impressive human

Sent from my SM-G950F using The Greenhouse mobile app powered by Tapatalk
You're too kind boney... :lol:

EJ
David Furner

Post by EJ » June 6, 2018, 3:50 pm

You should give something a go, PJ! Try a short fun run event or something. The training for it might ignite the beast again.

-PJ-
Laurie Daley

Post by -PJ- » June 7, 2018, 7:32 am

EJ wrote:
June 6, 2018, 3:50 pm
You should give something a go, PJ! Try a short fun run event or something. The training for it might ignite the beast again.
Mate..please.

In short..no. If I ever run again it will be -
A. From a burning building.
B. To avoid being hit by a car.
C. To chase the prick who keeps stealing my thongs from my front verandah.

I have so much saved up energy, I'm ready to run just need something above to happen.

Thanks for the advice EJ..

Coastalraider
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Coastalraider » June 12, 2018, 2:16 pm

EJ, I saw your Strava session from the weekend - your a nutter!

How did it go??

EJ
David Furner

Post by EJ » June 14, 2018, 6:04 pm

Sorry mate. That was the first 24 hour Obstacle Course Racing World Championship, held where else but Lower Portland, NSW 🤣

Previous years, the event has been labelled the Aussie Titles. This is the first year under the OCRWC banner, which has until now only held events in the Northern Hemisphere. It was definitely a much more competitive field than ever, with quite a few internationals competing.

I came 38th overall out of about 250ish.

Despite what Strava and my GPS say, I officially ran 104.4km, which is a new distance PB for me. I can only assume my watch in Ultratrac mode cut out a lot of corners.

Anyway, I pretty much hated about 80% of my time out there. It was a bloody long night that was filled with heavy fog and many camp fires scattered across the course that bellowed smoke that didn't seem to dissipate because of all the fog. I did 6 of my 9 laps in the dark, and I got really sick of it.

After 5 laps and except before my final lap, I started taking 10 minute lay down breaks in my tent.

I also didn't do myself favours as I kept forgetting to take my gels out with me and only remembered for my final lap. So I did about 19 hours on Tailwind alone, plus I think maybe 3 Clif Bars. Once I got a caffeinated gel into me though, boy it I felt good. I ran my final lap faster than my previous 4.

Still, it's a great social event. Real down to earth and I'll probably do it again.

I am all but confirmed for World's Toughest Mudder in Atlanta in November. I earnt contender status with my 6 laps at Toughest Mudder South East QLD a few weeks back. So that will be a real bucket list event ticked if I can make it.

Dr Zaius
Laurie Daley

Post by Dr Zaius » June 14, 2018, 6:51 pm

EJ wrote:Sorry mate. That was the first 24 hour Obstacle Course Racing World Championship, held where else but Lower Portland, NSW 🤣

Previous years, the event has been labelled the Aussie Titles. This is the first year under the OCRWC banner, which has until now only held events in the Northern Hemisphere. It was definitely a much more competitive field than ever, with quite a few internationals competing.

Despite what Strava and my GPS say, I officially ran 104.4km, which is a new distance PB for me. I can only assume my watch in Ultratrac mode cut out a lot of corners.

Anyway, I pretty much hated about 80% of my time out there. It was a bloody long night that was filled with heavy fog and many camp fires scattered across the course that bellowed smoke that didn't seem to dissipate because of all the fog. I did 6 of my 9 laps in the dark, and I got really sick of it.

After 5 laps and except before my final lap, I started taking 10 minute lay down breaks in my tent.

I also didn't do myself favours as I kept forgetting to take my gels out with me and only remembered for my final lap. So I did about 19 hours on Tailwind alone, plus I think maybe 3 Clif Bars. Once I got a caffeinated gel into me though, boy it I felt good. I ran my final lap faster than my previous 4.

Still, it's a great social event. Real down to earth and I'll probably do it again.

I am all but confirmed for World's Toughest Mudder in Atlanta in November. I earnt contender status with my 6 laps at Toughest Mudder South East QLD a few weeks back. So that will be a real bucket list event ticked if I can make it.
Argh. Those 24 hour ones have never appealed to me
RIP Greenbits: 2007-2014

EJ
David Furner

Post by EJ » June 14, 2018, 7:52 pm

I definitely wondered what the appeal was many times during the race.

Coastalraider
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Coastalraider » June 20, 2018, 4:02 pm

EJ wrote:
June 14, 2018, 6:04 pm
Sorry mate. That was the first 24 hour Obstacle Course Racing World Championship, held where else but Lower Portland, NSW 🤣

That sounds like a bloody horrible night mate...

WTM in Atlanta will be one hell of an experience though!