The Restaurant Thread

The social club of The Greenhouse

Moderator: GH Moderators

greeneyed
Don Furner

Re: The Restaurant Thread

Post by greeneyed »

Le Jules Verne is the restaurant that proves that the rule "never eat in a restaurant in a tower" is wrong. Extraordinary. And then there are the views.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

Plus you get a red carpet ride to the top, no waiting in the que or anything. It was phenominal. We came away from it thinking we'd never eat another meal in our lives as good as that, let alone better... 2 days later we were at Le Meurice and couldnt believe that it was THAT much better than Le Jules Verne
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Best restaurant I have eaten at was Jamin. Joel Robuchon. Before he "retired" and went commercial. Absolutely amazing. There's another... I'll have to dig out the name. Michelin starred restaurant in the French country side.
Raider Bell
Gary Belcher
Favourite Player: Billyt

Post by Raider Bell »

I surprised the fiancé with booking Plaza Athéneé and just told her on the day we have plans for the night, but I absolutely tried for Le Jules Verne first. It is ridiculously booked out, 3 months out the only thing I counsel get was a lunch slot which obviously isn't ideal.

Pigman RE forgetting money - that's the one single thing I try and convince people to do. Honestly, if you have the opportunity it won't be regretted. An all round excellent time and good fun living above your means for one night.
"A hex on your house, and more importantly your health"
"I truly hope the spirit of my mate gives you hell, you deserve it"
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Canberra Times latest list: http://www.goodfood.com.au/good-food/to ... 1z417.html

Never been to Temporada. Grazing deserves to be much, much, higher. Pulp Kitchen should not be on the list at all. Nor Malamay, it is awful, awful food.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Shezza
Laurie Daley

Post by Shezza »

I got a reservation at Fat Duck in Melbourne next year. Costs an obscene amount, but should be pretty enjoyable. Only open for six months, so worth having a go.
2013 'Nella Awards - MVP
2013 'Nella Awards - Spite Day Winner
2013 'Nella Awards - Worst System (The Club)
Bard
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: JD

Post by Bard »

greeneyed wrote:Canberra Times latest list: http://www.goodfood.com.au/good-food/to ... 1z417.html

Never been to Temporada. Grazing deserves to be much, much, higher. Pulp Kitchen should not be on the list at all. Nor Malamay, it is awful, awful food.

Agree on Grazing, i would easily rate it higher than Courgette and Ottoman.
Begbie
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Smash Williams

Post by Begbie »

I'm still boycotting all restaurants since the closure of Cons Seafood Restaurant in Mawson. If they had Michelin stars back them it would have been at least 8.
reptar
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Jordan Rapana

Post by reptar »

More like a full set of Michelin tyres.
Gina Riley: Oh, come on, John. That’s a bit old hat, the corrupt IOC delegate.
John Clarke: Old hat? Gina, in the scientific world when they see that something is happening again and again and again, repeatedly, they don’t call it old hat. They call it a pattern.
reptar
Laurie Daley

Post by reptar »

Went to Jamie's Brisbane last weekend, was expecting it to be gimmicky but it was actually quite good. Not sure how long that location on Edward Street will sustain enough foot traffic at dinner time with their policy of mostly walk ins, though. I give them 8.1/11
John Clarke: Old hat? Gina, in the scientific world when they see that something is happening again and again and again, repeatedly, they don’t call it old hat. They call it a pattern.
Shadow Boxer
Ricky Stuart

Post by Shadow Boxer »

Jamie's is pretty good, just need to be careful what you order or you end up with crushed peas or something. The menu is very literal.

Went to Blu Ginger indian last night, outstanding. Some sort of South indian coconut prawn and coriander dish was the highlight.

I think they have one in Sydney as well.
Begbie
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Smash Williams

Post by Begbie »

Shadow Boxer wrote:Jamie's is pretty good, just need to be careful what you order or you end up with crushed peas or something. The menu is very literal.

Went to Blu Ginger indian last night, outstanding. Some sort of South indian coconut prawn and coriander dish was the highlight.

I think they have one in Sydney as well.
Coconut with coriander? Surely you jest. That's the fashion equivalent of wearing blue with green.
Shadow Boxer
Ricky Stuart

Post by Shadow Boxer »

haha, you would think so, it was in this spicy creamy rich indian sauce, was fantastic.
reptar
Laurie Daley

Post by reptar »

Coconut and coriander sounds good to me.
Shadow Boxer
Ricky Stuart

Post by Shadow Boxer »

Found something similar here, might give it a crack

http://www.flavorsofmumbai.com/prawns-c ... ian-style/
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

Someone come and visit me in Kobe. I'll take you to places that will make you cry out with culinary joy. Seriously, my shout.

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

Begbie wrote:I'm still boycotting all restaurants since the closure of Cons Seafood Restaurant in Mawson. If they had Michelin stars back them it would have been at least 8.
This is just ignorant and dumb.

Its well known that Canberra's dining scene folded with the closure of The Fisherman's Wharf at Cooleman Court in 1984, and along with it the loss of their scallops in cheese sauce and special prawn cocktail dressing recipes.

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

T_R wrote:Someone come and visit me in Kobe. I'll take you to places that will make you cry out with culinary joy. Seriously, my shout.
Would we have to eat Japanese food?
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

Actually, its the French that they do best here. But yes, I'll make you eat Japanese, it'll be the real stuff and you'll love it

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Noooooo
Schifty
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson

Post by Schifty »

T_R wrote:Someone come and visit me in Kobe. I'll take you to places that will make you cry out with culinary joy. Seriously, my shout.

On my way now.

This better be good.
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

Schifty wrote:

On my way now.

This better be good.
Well worth the trip.

There are little kaiseki places here that only cater to 8 guests per night. You have no idea what will be served; only that it will be amazing.

Schifty
Laurie Daley

Post by Schifty »

T_R wrote:
Schifty wrote:

On my way now.

This better be good.
Well worth the trip.

There are little kaiseki places here that only cater to 8 guests per night. You have no idea what will be served; only that it will be amazing.
Sounds like an amazing place.

Or just an underground Japanese Hooters...
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

Schifty wrote:
T_R wrote:
Schifty wrote:

On my way now.

This better be good.
Well worth the trip.

Sounds like an amazing place.

Or just an underground Japanese Hooters...
Not quite sure how the Hooters concept would work here.

Recruitment would be a nightmare.

Schifty
Laurie Daley

Post by Schifty »

Probably right.

Finding a chef that can cook quality buffalo wings would be a nightmare over there....
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

Schifty wrote:Probably right.

Finding a chef that can cook quality buffalo wings would be a nightmare over there....
Actually, they'd just cook up a fine tebasaki and then ruin it with hot sauce.

Joke acknowledged, though

T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

greeneyed wrote:Noooooo
Lie back and think of England....you might be pleasantly surprised.

reptar
Laurie Daley

Post by reptar »

T_R: I will be going through Osaka in a couple of weeks time. Might just turn up on your doorstep.
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

reptar wrote:T_R: I will be going through Osaka in a couple of weeks time. Might just turn up on your doorstep.
20 mins on the local train. I'm happy to come into Osaka to buy you a beer!

reptar
Laurie Daley

Post by reptar »

T_R wrote:
reptar wrote:T_R: I will be going through Osaka in a couple of weeks time. Might just turn up on your doorstep.
20 mins on the local train. I'm happy to come into Osaka to buy you a beer!
That could be an idea! I'll let you know when it happens. Have my flights to Tokyo and my JR Pass, but going to pretty much wing it once I arrive.
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

What is it...a holiday?

God, don't waste your time in Tokyo...with the JR pass get out and see the country.

reptar
Laurie Daley

Post by reptar »

T_R wrote:What is it...a holiday?

God, don't waste your time in Tokyo...with the JR pass get out and see the country.
Yes, that was the idea.
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

Free booze in Osaka

reptar
Laurie Daley

Post by reptar »

That's the best kind of booze!