From cricket to motor sports to wrestling and anything in between

Moderator: GH Moderators

Green eyed Mick
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Brett Mullins

Lance Armstrong admits to using performance-enhancing drugs

Post by Green eyed Mick »

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2012/ju ... violations

Not surprised at all by this. Watching his team mates and associates over the years get caught it was only a matter of time before there was enough evidence to charge him.
Decorous Muse
Ruben Wiki

Re: Lance Armstrong Charged with Doping

Post by Decorous Muse »

Bout time. Obvious cheat
The Vindicated wrote:You would be hard pressed to find anyone who hasnt committed some kind of vandalism in their life, leaving your car to avoid getting breath tested is actually quite smart
Bay56 wrote:cant understand people who come in here and whinge
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

Not surprised but still disappointed.
Nick
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Jack Wighton

Post by Nick »

always have wanted to believe he was clean, you know that shining star on an otherwise dull night, still hopeful that he'll be proved innocent and his legacy remains in tact, but i think deep down most of us knew something was sus
KW
David Furner
Favourite Player: Steve "no mans land" Collins

Post by KW »

its not about the bike, its about the drugs that the doping authorities cant yet detect
Quality over Quantity Winner - 2007, 2008 and 2010 Golden Boogs Awards
Raiders Member #3383 - Bay 28, Row LL, Seat 6
Vanilla Bear
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Edrick Lee

Re: Lance Armstrong charged with doping

Post by Vanilla Bear »

does anybody in cycling NOT use drugs?
Professor
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: Bae

Post by Professor »

Decorous Muse wrote:Bout time. Obvious cheat
How was it obvious?

Like Nick, I always hoped (and still do hope) that he's clean. I guess we'll wait and see, for the 40th time.
Schifty
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson

Post by Schifty »

I'll still hold out hope that he is innocent.

End of the day he has still raised Millions upon millions for cancer research.. That will always be a good thing.
Michael
Mal Meninga

Post by Michael »

It would be more egalitarian if the cycling authorities just let everyone take whatever drugs they wanted and may the best man win.
tragic
Brett Mullins

Lance Armstrong charged with doping

Post by tragic »

I thought cyclists and body builders all hung out at the same pharmacy...

Would be a shame if Armstrong was guilty, but either way, doubt has and always will hang over his reputation.
Raiders member no# 2278.
Decorous Muse
Ruben Wiki

Post by Decorous Muse »

Raider 85 wrote:
How was it obvious?
Dunno, just felt like chiming in on a subject I know nothing about to be honest
The Vindicated wrote:You would be hard pressed to find anyone who hasnt committed some kind of vandalism in their life, leaving your car to avoid getting breath tested is actually quite smart
KW
David Furner

Post by KW »

Michael wrote:It would be more egalitarian if the cycling authorities just let everyone take whatever drugs they wanted and may the best man win.
I had to do an assignmnt at uni based on whether their could be 2 olympics - one which permitted the use of performance enhancing drugs, and one that didnt. It would be intersting to see what human beings can be capable of if given a bit of assistance.......

KW
Professor
Steve Walters

Post by Professor »

Decorous Muse wrote:
Raider 85 wrote:
How was it obvious?
Dunno, just felt like chiming in on a subject I know nothing about to be honest
:lol: fair enough
Michael
Mal Meninga

Post by Michael »

It was obvious he was always a cheat, at least in the sense that the chances of a cancer sufferer winning seven (I think?) Tour de France titles in a row against other guys who were cheating are just astronomical.
Captain Punish
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Jared Waerea-Hargreaves

Post by Captain Punish »

He did weigh slightly less than the regular man, so that may have helped when going up hill..

As someone above made mention, on Lance Armstrong the person not cyclist, he made massive inroads for cancer research, that should always be considered whether he is stripped of his titles or not.
Avatar Bet - bleedgreen99 - Raiders to make (BG99)/miss(Lucy) the 8. Avatar from last round of regular season 2015 until GF 2016.
Signature Bet - Raider85 - Raiders to get(Lucy)/miss(R85) the wooden spoon. Signature for entire offseason.
Bottle of something to the value of $70 - Matthew Borewood to not see (Lucy)/to see (Piggles) a first grade game in 2015 for the Warriors.
The Name Change Bet - Regarding the three bets above;
I win all three I keep my name.
I win one I become "the Punish"
I lose all I become "Chicken Little"
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

I agree that him raising funds for cancer is admirable. But isn't that similar to third world nations using drug lords money to fund public works?

IF he turns out to be a cheat, then his reputation will be changed forever, and no level of charity can alleviate that.

Its like being accused of a terrible crime (think B Stewart) whilst being innocent. Mud sticks, and that is the sad fact of life.
The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
Captain Punish
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Jared Waerea-Hargreaves

Post by Captain Punish »

I completely agree with your point Dubs. I am more commenting it is just a shame.

His image whether proven or not will be forever tarnished. He has always had that air of doubt arouind him as many of his team mates have fallen over the year in scandal after scandal. But this will never be something that is forgotten by most, whether cycling enthusiasts or not.

I was just commenting that it is just a shame for someone that off the track has put in so much hard work with something so admirable that it would be nice to have that not completely overlooked. Many a sportsperson does the wrong thing, but NOT many a person devotes so much time to charity. Carl Lewis is an unfortunate example of this, since his retiremnt in '97 he has devoted so much to charity especially his own "The Carl Lewis Foundation". How often is that ever mentioned any more?
Last edited by Captain Punish on June 19, 2012, 12:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Avatar Bet - bleedgreen99 - Raiders to make (BG99)/miss(Lucy) the 8. Avatar from last round of regular season 2015 until GF 2016.
Signature Bet - Raider85 - Raiders to get(Lucy)/miss(R85) the wooden spoon. Signature for entire offseason.
Bottle of something to the value of $70 - Matthew Borewood to not see (Lucy)/to see (Piggles) a first grade game in 2015 for the Warriors.
The Name Change Bet - Regarding the three bets above;
I win all three I keep my name.
I win one I become "the Punish"
I lose all I become "Chicken Little"
Professor
Steve Walters

Post by Professor »

dubby wrote:I agree that him raising funds for cancer is admirable. But isn't that similar to third world nations using drug lords money to fund public works?
Likening 3rd world countries using drug lords' money to fund public works to a Cyclist raising squillions through being a professional sportsman :lol:

Sorry Dubs, I can see relationship you're trying to make between the two but **** it's a poor attempt.
Decorous Muse
Ruben Wiki

Post by Decorous Muse »

Haha yeah, I am a massive fan of excessive hyperbole but even I think that's drawing a particularly long bow
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

sorry, sitting on hold for 20+ minutes.

I'm getting cranky!
The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
Schifty
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson

Post by Schifty »

That might be the worst analogy I've ever read :lol:

I think that actually deserves credit.
Nick
Mal Meninga

Post by Nick »

the analogy was odd but i agree with his point
regardless of his charity work and how commendable that is, if found guilty of cheating, his legacy and his reputation will change accordingly
LP Raider
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Master Bateman

Post by LP Raider »

I have been told by a local league player that he was offered performance drug's, IF Lance has been getting away with it for so many years at an international level how can we trust the players we chear on week after week are clean after the Storm scandal.
WorkChoice
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

lance lance lance, what were ya thinking.....
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Worm wrote:He did weigh slightly less than the regular man, so that may have helped when going up hill..

As someone above made mention, on Lance Armstrong the person not cyclist, he made massive inroads for cancer research, that should always be considered whether he is stripped of his titles or not.
Maybe he is a man of his word unlike GD.

As far fetched as MB's analogy is its right. If you or I started raising money for anything we would probably be lucky to raise $1000 and that would take a fairly good effort. The only reason he has raised millions is his profile and past. If this is true then his profile and past is tarnished.

How is Ben Johnson's charity going?
Oh and Carl Lewis - didn't he get found guilty of taking performance enhancers but that was very hush hush.
Shoving it in your face since 2017
yeh raiders
Laurie Daley

Post by yeh raiders »

His charity work shouldnt be considered on whether he is stripped or not. That's just unfair

Just because he's got a good nature away from competition, doesnt mean he didnt cheat genuine cyclists out of victory.

If he gets found guilty.. it wont surprise me. But a lot of people who are really keen cycling followers are already convinced he's a doper anyway. So his legacy will always have a cloud or asterisk* next to it.
yeh raiders
Laurie Daley

Post by yeh raiders »

Michael wrote:It was obvious he was always a cheat, at least in the sense that the chances of a cancer sufferer winning seven (I think?) Tour de France titles in a row against other guys who were cheating are just astronomical.
Exactly..
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

The allegations have become formal charges after USADA pressed the charges
Green eyed Mick
Laurie Daley

Armstrong to drop the fight against Drug Charges !

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2012/au ... sfeed=true

After the BALCO scandal it became pretty clear that the kinds of tests they were doing in many pro sports like cycling and Baseball were almost entirely ineffective at catching many drugs cheats. The kinds of drugs and methods to cheat are sadly always 2 steps ahead of the testing.

Still Lance Armstrong is a multi-millionaire so it kind of spits in the face of the saying cheats never prosper. Just a shame there aren't criminal penalties given he has literally made millions by doing something illegal.
Shadow Boxer
Ricky Stuart

Post by Shadow Boxer »

The idea that Armstrong could have won those titles clean against the type of drugged up monsters he was racing in those days is ridiculous.

That said he still had to peddle the bike and it is pretty clear everyone was doing it. Does that make it fair ?
KW
David Furner

Post by KW »

KW wrote:its not about the bike, its about the drugs that the doping authorities cant yet detect
QFT :)
yeh raiders
Laurie Daley

Post by yeh raiders »

Shadow Boxer wrote:The idea that Armstrong could have won those titles clean against the type of drugged up monsters he was racing in those days is ridiculous.

That said he still had to peddle the bike and it is pretty clear everyone was doing it. Does that make it fair ?
It doesn't make it fair. As long as its against the rules of the sport, it's unfair. It's synthetic enhancements that can be taken in many forms and quantities, having results that differ from person to person. At the end of the day, he's a brilliant cyclist but he and a lot of others in the sport are complete *****.
Aero
Laurie Daley

Post by Aero »

If Armstrong raced the same races as the other competitors and passed the same drugs tests as the other competitors, then he should be able to keep the titles he won
2012, 2014 and 2015 Boogs Avatar/Signature of the Year
Green eyed Mick
Laurie Daley

Aero wrote:If Armstrong raced the same races as the other competitors and passed the same drugs tests as the other competitors, then he should be able to keep the titles he won
But the testing was flawed or at the very least didn't adhere to the strict protocols of other sports or the olympics. Also the drugs many cyclists and other professional sports people have admitted to using or been charged with using were ahead of the testing processes and undetectable at the time. I am not aware if the cycling governing bodies stored specimens for later testing.

These days the Olympics keeps all the specimens and will have the ability to go back in 10 or 20 years and re-test. You can bet you bottom dollar that Usain Bolt will have his **** and blood tested by every new test that offers even the slightest chance of picking up something that may have been missed.

Armstrong should be stripped of his titles. Just like Marian Jones and Ben Johnson were. A cheat is a cheat and it doesn't matter who else was doing it or how long ago it was IMO
Nick
Mal Meninga

Post by Nick »

couldnt agree more, he's a cheat, and his accomplishments will rightly be stripped because he's a dirty rotten cheat. Makes Evans achievements all the more special

I read an article that stated that at the winning press conference for TDF winner, the media give a standing ovation only to those they are sure are clean, they gave it to Evans but never Armstrong. Journo's generally have some good inside track on these matters.