The Video Game Thread

Discuss music, movies, TV shows and video games

Moderator: GH Moderators

-TW-
Mal Meninga

Re: The Video Game Thread

Post by -TW- »

It's a decent amount, and you definitely improve faster earning the badges quicker

It's just a bit of a chore to start when you suck. I'm a PG and it took me about 20 games before I started to be able to shoot consistently. But those first 20 games I wanted to throw my controller through the wall with how **** he was.

With 12 minute qtrs I can only really play 2-3 games at a time before I get bored of it

Sent from my ELE-L29 using Tapatalk

FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Phil Graham

Post by FuiFui BradBrad »

Just saw F1 2020 has announced a release date of July.
They have annouced a MyCareer mode, where you can create your own team. Pick colours, sponsors, engines, 2nd driver, the works.

I have waited my whole life for this feature
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has done a superb job - 18/12/2020
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

That's awesome, I'll look at that for sure

Sid
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Shannon Boyd

Post by Sid »

Awesome. I'd base the livery design from the 1994 Raiders Jersey.
Would have won Boogs - 2016, 2017, 2018

1 part green, 1 part machine
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde

Sid wrote:Awesome. I'd base the livery design from the 1994 Raiders Jersey.
My helmet designs are typically Raiders themed. All feature Green, blue, yellow and black/white
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde

Just a heads up guys. Project Cars 2 Deluxe Edition on sale at the PlayStation store. Down from a hundred and something to $20

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nickman's love of NSW
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Would recommend

Its so much better than Forza or Gran Turismo for realism

FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde

Yeah I’ve got it. Thinking it would be better for the eracing urge I’ve had than iracing.

Will have to play via controller until I have spare cash for a decent wheel

Nickman's love of NSW
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Once you go wheel you'll never go back to a controller

So much more engaging

FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde

Yeah I agree, I can’t wait!

Nickman's love of NSW
Sid
Ricky Stuart

Post by Sid »

The difficult part about buying a wheel at the moment is trying to figure out how compatible it’s going to be with PS5

FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde

The Video Game Thread

Sid wrote:The difficult part about buying a wheel at the moment is trying to figure out how compatible it’s going to be with PS5
Yeah true... I’m not sure if I’ll be getting the PS5 yet. I think the 4 might be as far as I go... not sure yet

We should see if enough people have PC2 and would be interested in a GH Online comp.
Last edited by FuiFui BradBrad on May 31, 2020, 4:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Nickman's love of NSW
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Assetto Corza Competitione looks pretty good

Was watching some of the gt eracing using it earlier

Sterlk
David Furner

Post by Sterlk »

What do people think about the design of the PS5, by the way? Size comparisons so far seem to conclude that the thing is huge, and regarding the design in general - personally, I'm not a fan.

I'm more on board with the design of the disk-less version, which appears to be the 'design lead'; the version with the disk drive seems like that section is an afterthought bolt-on. IMO it ruins the proportions and makes that particular SKU unappealing. Even the disk-less version is a bit of a divisive statement piece; a primarily-white console, that is massive, and has rather unique styling... it's a bold choice.

The choice for me was already made before any designs were released, due to ecosystem and franchise lock-in, but personally I prefer Microsoft's monolith to Sony's curved white sculpture.

Sid
Ricky Stuart

The Video Game Thread

Post by Sid »

Didn’t realise how huge it was. Controller in particular looks pretty ugly.. not sure on the actual console design yet.. curious to see how it’d look as 1 colour instead of 2. I’m presuming the PS5 will be able to lay horizontally better into entertainment units?

Xbox console design looks uninspiring

Sterlk
David Furner

Post by Sterlk »

Yeah, they can both lie sideways. Nothing particularly fancy about the Xbox design, but as a full-grown adult I think I'd prefer something conservative that blends in nicely at home, rather that something that screams 'look at my l33t new console, bro!'.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

My xb1 version of Assetto Corza Competitione should be here tomorrow, I'll post a review when I've had a bit of a play

Hopefully it's as good or better than project cars 2, which btw I just did a 2:03.4 at Bathurst in a supercar

-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Finally got a decent run with ACC.

My wheel isn't fully supported so the FF can be a bit patchy, and sometimes it's not recognised as a wheel so it's a bit fiddly to get it to work.

The game itself is really good, apparently the PC version is a million times better but it is what it is. The game play is great, you really notice the differences between the cars in handling and behaviours.

I'm driving a Bentley Continental GT3 in my career which really suits my driving style, but in the tutorial sessions you get a Lamborghini Gallardo which I struggled with so much the game told me to start on easy. I'm on normal now and it's a bit easy for me.

Sterlk
David Furner

Post by Sterlk »

I got Watch Dogs 2 for $20 a couple of days ago on Xbox, on special as a promo as part of the whole marketing campaign for Watch Dogs Legion.

I played the first one back when it originally came out, had a good time with that back in the day but it was far less than it was hyped up to be. Hadn't bothered with 2 for so long due to the original not hooking me in to the franchise, but with Legion looking quite good I'm happy to jump back in to the series.

2 is quite enjoyable so far, better than the first, and an absolute steal for $20. It's going to be rather crowded with big releases when the new generation of consoles comes out, so I don't think I'll get Legion at launch, but definitely something I might grab partway through next year - hopefully during a sale.
Sterlk
David Furner

Post by Sterlk »

I watched the Xbox games showcase today. Super disappointing.

I wasn't sold by the PS5 presentation, and this one was worse. Both companies are playing chicken with each other, and it's getting really frustrating. Cinematic trailers galore and next to no gameplay (Xbox is a bigger offender here than PS5). If I recall correctly the Playstation showcase spent the majority of its time dwelling on the current gen, Xbox is more forward-looking but they're taking up all that airtime without communicating anything even close to meaningful!

There's a few games now that I've seen multiple trailers for across multiple events, and no idea what the game actually is. I know the art style and perhaps a little about the world, but is it a shooter, an RPG, a survival game... **** are you showing me!?!?! Gah!

To Microsoft's credit, they lifted the lid on Halo Infinite today, which I think looks pretty fun even though the graphics seem a bit disappointing, but then there's Senua's Saga, Fable, Forza, Obsidian's new game Avowed, whatever The Initiative has been working on for bloody years. They should be highlighting their big titles and giving people something to look forward to, not shining 80%+ of the spotlight on filler nobody cares about. Look at Cyberpunk - even going back a year or more before release they started showing people what it is. I'm sick to death of the 'you don't get to see anything until release is imminent' model the industry has been in for years now.

It was so bad, that even as somebody super locked-in to the ecosystem, it had me thinking of potentially getting a PS5... but then I think about all the stuff I love, all the stuff that I know about and think will probably be really good (they're just being frustratingly close-lipped), and the absurdly-good value proposition that is Xbox Game Pass. I'm mostly certain I won't jumping ship, but geez they're doing an awful job of stopping people from thinking about grass that might be greener.
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

Ghost of Tsushima. Get on it. That game is beautiful.
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde

zim wrote:Ghost of Tsushima. Get on it. That game is beautiful.
I follow Steph Bendixsen (Formerly Hex of Good Game fame) and she’s been posting screenshots and videos of this game, and it looks amazing.

I snapped up Madden 20 for $20 online. It’s a pretty neat game. Doing a franchise with Miami, as they’re the worst team in the game.

Nickman's love of NSW
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

Surprised you guys didn't get a madden tournament up and running during lockdown.
Sterlk
David Furner

Post by Sterlk »

All the cards are now on the table.

I bought my last Xbox directly from Microsoft, though EB Games has a mighty-fine trade in deal to get an Xbox Series X. No real reason to hang on to my current One X since the new Xbox is 100% backwards compatible with the current generation. It'll be the first time I've ever traded in a console.

Logged into my ancient and mostly unused EB account to find I'm somehow a level 2 member, and therefore get 10% bonus trade-in value. Extraordinary, considering I've been an all-digital purchaser for years.

Amazing to think that I'll be walking out of there having paid $364 for a $749 console. I'm not sure how a soon-to-be-last-generation console could be worth $385 to EB, but I'll take it!
Sid
Ricky Stuart

The Video Game Thread

Post by Sid »

With no disc trays in the cheapest consoles, is this the beginning of the end for gaming stores such as EB? Can see them slowly dying out like video rental stores during the time whenever the PS6 and it’s equivalent XBox comes out

Sterlk
David Furner

Post by Sterlk »

The writing has been on the wall for EB for quite some time. A prolonged and inevitable demise.

They've been trying hard to diversify for a while, it's why there's a bunch of clothing in store these days, and why Zing exists.

I don't have too much sympathy for them, they're a horrible company. Whole bunch of unpaid OT that staff need to do, toxic corporate culture, and they typically try to gouge the unaware with their high list prices for games - if you wanted to buy a physical game from there for whatever reason on release, you're likely looking at $99 and you'd have to pricematch your way down to match what everybody else is doing. I'd prefer to give my business to somewhere that doesn't try gouge you in the first place.

That said, they do have outstanding deals from time to time - like this one! I'll happily take full advantage, the tiny margin they get from me won't help them much in the end. I think the good trade in values for old consoles are somewhat akin to a loss leader; they want people to buy a whole heap of other stuff when they buy their console from EB, and they want people to trade in their old games at the same time so they can be re-sold with a ridiculous margin.

I'll be walking out of there with just the console-for-console transaction, and everything else will continue to be digital.
Sterlk
David Furner

Post by Sterlk »

https://news.xbox.com/en-us/2020/09/21/ ... ox-family/

:shock:

People may want to read this before deciding which console to buy. This is perhaps the biggest acquisition in the history of modern gaming.
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde

Anyone playing Among Us on IOS/Android? I just played my first game and thought it was pretty fun.
Happy to create a GH League if anyones interested?

Nickman's love of NSW
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

Fuifui Bradbrad wrote: September 24, 2020, 12:18 pm Anyone playing Among Us on IOS/Android? I just played my first game and thought it was pretty fun.
I've been watching Call Me Kevin play it on YouTube and it looks friggen hilarious.

I'm not sure if that's due to Kevin or the game itself though.
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde

The Nickman wrote: September 24, 2020, 12:45 pm
Fuifui Bradbrad wrote: September 24, 2020, 12:18 pm Anyone playing Among Us on IOS/Android? I just played my first game and thought it was pretty fun.
I've been watching Call Me Kevin play it on YouTube and it looks friggen hilarious.

I'm not sure if that's due to Kevin or the game itself though.
Yeah its good fun. Its just chaos trying to figure out who the Impostor is. Definitely recommend. I reckon Nickman would be great as an Impostor

Nickman's love of NSW
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

Alright ive been playing for an hour
im in
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde

Botman wrote:Alright ive been playing for an hour
im in
Been non-stop since midday. Have that Rocket map down pat.

I’ll set up something tomorrow if we get 8 others

Nickman's love of NSW
Sterlk
David Furner

Post by Sterlk »

Anybody manage to get a day 1 console, for either system?

My trade-in plans went up in smoke when EB's website crapped itself so hard that it made the mainstream media. Got one through Microsoft directly, but no trade there.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

Fuifui Bradbrad wrote: September 24, 2020, 5:24 pm
Botman wrote:Alright ive been playing for an hour
im in
Been non-stop since midday. Have that Rocket map down pat.

I’ll set up something tomorrow if we get 8 others

haha yeah i've been trying to play whilst doing kids stuff.... Im a pretty bad imposter at the moment but getting there
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde

Yeah same. I can go on killing sprees and pass the blame on like no ones business. Haven’t figured out how to sabotage yet

Nickman's love of NSW