The Boxing Thread

From cricket to motor sports to wrestling and anything in between

Moderator: GH Moderators

RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Re: The Boxing Thread

Post by RedRaider »

Tim Tszyu will have a non title fight against Keith Thurman in Los Vegas in March 2024. He will then be the WBO champ for 9 months without a defence agianst the No. 1 WBO super welter weight for his belt, Englands Josh Kelly. I hope his next fight is againt Kelly to ensure he holds the belt. Then he can go after either the other belts or some big money fights against the likes of Crawford or Canelo Alvarez.

WBC continue to play funny buggers with their belt, referring to Jermell Charlo as the 'Champion in Recess'. What on Earth is that? He is either the champion or he isn't. They are putting forward Fundora v Bohachuk for the WBC title. No word yet on what the WBA is doing with their super Welterweight belt.
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

BadnMean wrote: January 4, 2024, 7:37 pm
RedRaider wrote: January 4, 2024, 6:52 pm February 17 will be good for us BnM. The Raiders first trial game and the Heavy Weight title bout.
Love it :thumbsup

For the record, I back Fury over Usyk, if he turns up good. Despite all his shennanigans and how turned off I've got over his fight avoiding the last few years I have enjoyed watching Fury revive HW as a division so much I kinda hope he delivers...

(and I think usyk is an incredible boxer, so it'll be remarkable either way)
BnM the fight has been put back until May 18 because Tyson Fury has suffered a cut above the eye in training. He has had Australian Jai Opetaia as a sparring partner. I wonder if Jai caused the damage?
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

RedRaider wrote: February 14, 2024, 10:06 am
BadnMean wrote: January 4, 2024, 7:37 pm
RedRaider wrote: January 4, 2024, 6:52 pm February 17 will be good for us BnM. The Raiders first trial game and the Heavy Weight title bout.
Love it :thumbsup

For the record, I back Fury over Usyk, if he turns up good. Despite all his shennanigans and how turned off I've got over his fight avoiding the last few years I have enjoyed watching Fury revive HW as a division so much I kinda hope he delivers...

(and I think usyk is an incredible boxer, so it'll be remarkable either way)
BnM the fight has been put back until May 18 because Tyson Fury has suffered a cut above the eye in training. He has had Australian Jai Opetaia as a sparring partner. I wonder if Jai caused the damage?
No Jai left before the cut.

Jai left because he was granted a huge fight on the same card and Fury only had southpaws in there to spar with- terrible preparation for the biggest fight of your life vs an orthodox fighter. Fair enough.

Tyson has a "boy who cried wolf" recent history of bailing out of fights/delaying. Probably linked to his well publicised drug and mental health issues. He looked godawful and unfit vs Ngannou. This is a guy who can honestly look like he'd give any heavyweight in any era a REAL hard time at his best.. but who can also struggle vs Wallin and waddle around doing very little and looking fragile vs Ngannou.

I called the delay weeks ago based on Fury's shape and performance over on some boxing forums. No surprise there. (he "released" some fit looking pics from his camp... (recycled from 3 years ago!)

If you saw the Turki Alakshish interviews recently he was fuming mad and seemed like Fury/Usyl each now had $10 mill in escrow hostage in case they pull out again...

I've gone from being a huge Fury fan to just a bit sick of his BS over recent years (even though this cut seems to be possibly legit?). So inactive, dodging AJ and Usyk etc.

My feeling is he'll dial in for the new date.
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

Justice Huni has beaten Lerena in a unanimous points decision. Well done to the Australian Heavy Weight Champion.
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

Keith Thurman has pulled out of the Super Welterweight fight with Tim Tszyu due to injury. Instead Tim will fight another American, Sebastian Fundora and put his WBO belt on the line against Fundora and the vacant WBC belt will also be on the line. 26 year old Fundora is very tall for this weight limit with some having him at 197cms tall. Tim is unlikely to have fought or sparred against anyone that is a southpaw and that tall. But that lanky body would offer a large target. The fight will take place on March 31.

Murtazaliev takes on Culcay the following week for the vacant Super Welterweight IBF title. With Israel Madrimov holding the WBA belt, Jermell Charlo now holds zero belts. Charlo has not fought at this weight division to attempt to retain the 4 belts he held a year ago.
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

Fundora is as decent a replacement as you'll find- at least he's a name.

Everybody gets the jitters when they come up against Tszyu it seems.

If Thurman really wants to come back after 3 (?) years out, mayb e best he eases back in because Tszyu seems ready to chew the division up.
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

BadnMean wrote: March 19, 2024, 2:48 pm Fundora is as decent a replacement as you'll find- at least he's a name.

Everybody gets the jitters when they come up against Tszyu it seems.

If Thurman really wants to come back after 3 (?) years out, mayb e best he eases back in because Tszyu seems ready to chew the division up.
Yep, Fundora will be awkward with that height and reach BnM. Interesting that Brian Mendoza knocked Fundora out in the 7th round in April last year. Tszyu schooled Mendoza in their bout. I think Tim really wanted an American to build his name over there and he has got one. Should Tim win and have two belts, then there will be the opportunity to unify the division. Alternatively someone like Terence Crawford would be a big money pay day if Tim has both belts. WBO gave Tim the opportunity for a title and I reckon he should defend that title against the WBO top contenders, British boxer Josh Kelly or American Erickson Lubin.

https://box.live/boxing-rankings/
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

Australian middle weight Michael Zerafa was knocked out in the 2nd round by Erislandy Lara on the Tim Tszyu undercard. He was set up a jab from the southpaw and then finished with a left hand.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/boxing/box ... 8ea74b85a0
LimeGreenMachine
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Ethan Strange

Post by LimeGreenMachine »

Tszyu had to change tactics. Nasty head cut from an accidental elbow.
Lost on split decision.
Fundora threw plenty of jabs , doubt they hurt Timmy. Tim threw the more meaningful punches even though he couldn't see.
Enjoyable fight. Hope there is a rematch
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

Tim Tszyu beaten on a split decision after 12 rounds. He copped a stray elbow in the 2nd round which opened up the top of his head and he was bleeding so much he had trouble seeing. There was a re-match clause in the contract and I'm sure Tim will want to go ahead against Sebastian Fundora again.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/boxing/box ... 8ea74b85a0
LimeGreenMachine
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Ethan Strange

Post by LimeGreenMachine »

Definitely should be a rematch .
Why did they bring on that other boxer ( Forget his name ) into the ring at the end. Let Fundora enjoy his moment. Boxing can be a circus.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

What a bum..
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

I'm astounded the doctor didn't stop the fight in 4th round when it was obvious the cut wasn't going to stop bleeding.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

Murtazaliev stopped Culcay in the 11th round to claim the IBF Junior middle weight title. Although being behind on points the sheer punching power he has is always a threat.