Moderator: GH Moderators

Green_Hammock
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Rapana, Campese

Re: The metal thread

Post by Green_Hammock »

Lui_Bon wrote:
Rodman wrote:
Chicka's shoe wrote:dude, I love Thin Lizzy but wouldn't really call them metal. Have you seen this? a genius bit of mash-up http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bqOoVetljiw
I'd say that Thin Lizzy have more respect within the metal world than Metallica.
Certainly from me.... when i was a kiddy I loved about a third of the tracks on Jailbreak - hated the rest. But Phil sure summed up metal with that bit from the Cowboy Song - Move my fingers... up and down...

Actually I like the Black Rose song much more. Any time guitars imitate bagpipes it's a winner.

The Dream Theater album isn't in shops today... shouldn't be long though. I'm told Mangini drummed for Steve Vai - I was hoping for Virgil Donati.

Found Ziltoid the Omniscient on the weekend, to go with Terria which I got a week ago. Devin Townsend - even at his silliest he's great. The new Symphony X album is alright too - I've been getting too much to listen to enough!

Nightfall and Ancient dreams (Candlemass) eh? there's a wadge of Candlemass at JBs Belco so I'll check it again.
It was leaked online a couple of weeks early. Mike Mangini sounds very good on the album and yeah he's played with a few different artists, just a couple of tracks with Steve Vai I think, some off "Fire Garden" which is a great album.
Rodman
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: N/A

Post by Rodman »

Lui_Bon wrote: Found Ziltoid the Omniscient on the weekend, to go with Terria which I got a week ago. Devin Townsend - even at his silliest he's great. The new Symphony X album is alright too - I've been getting too much to listen to enough!
Symphony X, huh? I had an album of theirs about ten years ago that didn't do much for me. I might have to revisit it.

Devin signed my copy of Terria a few years back. I saw them on the tour for the SYL album and it was insane. Back then he was probably my favourite artist in the world.
#BoneMcCrone
Green_Hammock
Bradley Clyde

Post by Green_Hammock »

Rodman wrote:
Lui_Bon wrote: Found Ziltoid the Omniscient on the weekend, to go with Terria which I got a week ago. Devin Townsend - even at his silliest he's great. The new Symphony X album is alright too - I've been getting too much to listen to enough!
Symphony X, huh? I had an album of theirs about ten years ago that didn't do much for me. I might have to revisit it.

Devin signed my copy of Terria a few years back. I saw them on the tour for the SYL album and it was insane. Back then he was probably my favourite artist in the world.
I don't know if I'd recommend their latest, got a couple of good tracks but the rest are sort of generic and blend in together, imo.
Rodman
Laurie Daley

Post by Rodman »

I sincerely hope you guys have checked out Blind Guardian if you're listening to a band like Symphony X. Blind Guardian are probably the greatest epic power/speed metal band ever.
#BoneMcCrone
Lui_Bon
Jason Croker

Post by Lui_Bon »

Green_Hammock wrote:
Rodman wrote:

I don't know if I'd recommend their latest, got a couple of good tracks but the rest are sort of generic and blend in together, imo.
That would be Iconoclast. I got The Oddyssey after reading some reviews on Amazon, and was deeply disappointed - it was just cods. Over the course of time I got used to the thin and bassless production but still think there's one good song and one other good riff on it. Eventually I got a copy of Paradise Lost and was surprised at not only how much better the production was but also a how much less straightforward the composition was. Liked it enough to get iconoclast when i discovered its existence earlier this week. And I've only heard it twice, but I like it. Sure, it sounds a lot lik Paradise Lost, and yes it also sounds a bit like a band without Dream Theater's chops trying to do the same sort of thing, and yes, the singer is generic, but to be honest their lyrics are actually less putrid than Dream Theater's (I pray that now Portnoy has sodded off that may change a bit, but I doubt it given Petrucci is a worse poet than I am) and the song construction is pretty damn fine. I agree that it blends in together, but let me hear it a bit more and I may find the bits I like - the similarities are probably in th production.

The last song on Terria, Stagnant, is my going-to-work anthem... though I do like playing the song F...ers off The New Black loud in the carpark... because I am very juvenile.
Albi
David Furner
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

The metal thread

Post by Albi »

Good thread, not sure how I've missed it.. I'm a big fan of technical metal and mathcore.. Two favs of mine are Meshuggah and the Dillinger Escape Plan.. I was going to see Gojira later this month, but their concert was cancelled :(
Canberra Raiders Bronze Member

Banner courtesy of the very talented, fistinz.
Chickas shoe
John Ferguson

Post by Chickas shoe »

Lui_Bon wrote:
Green_Hammock wrote:
Rodman wrote:

That would be Iconoclast. I got The Oddyssey after reading some reviews on Amazon, and was deeply disappointed - it was just cods. Over the course of time I got used to the thin and bassless production but still think there's one good song and one other good riff on it. Eventually I got a copy of Paradise Lost and was surprised at not only how much better the production was but also a how much less straightforward the composition was. Liked it enough to get iconoclast when i discovered its existence earlier this week. And I've only heard it twice, but I like it. Sure, it sounds a lot lik Paradise Lost, and yes it also sounds a bit like a band without Dream Theater's chops trying to do the same sort of thing, and yes, the singer is generic, but to be honest their lyrics are actually less putrid than Dream Theater's (I pray that now Portnoy has sodded off that may change a bit, but I doubt it given Petrucci is a worse poet than I am) and the song construction is pretty damn fine. I agree that it blends in together, but let me hear it a bit more and I may find the bits I like - the similarities are probably in th production.

The last song on Terria, Stagnant, is my going-to-work anthem... though I do like playing the song F...ers off The New Black loud in the carpark... because I am very juvenile.
Portnoy's complaint noted!
Lui_Bon
Jason Croker

Post by Lui_Bon »

Chicka's shoe wrote:
Lui_Bon wrote:
Green_Hammock wrote:
Rodman wrote:

Portnoy's complaint noted!
Ha yes and I bet he's never heard that before. The curse of both shredders and cowboys everywhere... oh, and posters!
Rodman
Laurie Daley

Post by Rodman »

@ Lui_Bon - Did you ever hear the album Tales From the Thousand Lakes by Amorphis?
#BoneMcCrone
Green_Hammock
Bradley Clyde

Post by Green_Hammock »

Lui_Bon wrote:
Green_Hammock wrote:
Rodman wrote:

I love Stagnant, one of the most uplifting songs I've heard.

Paradise Lost and The Divine Wings of Tragedy are probably my favourites by Symphony X, I'm not a huge fan though. Iconoclast (title track) is the best on the album for me, I also like the ballad When All Is Lost.

The lyrics were noticeably better on A Dramatic Turn Of Events imo, no cringe worthy stuff like The Count of Tuscany (love the song, hate the lyrics).
Rodman
Laurie Daley

Post by Rodman »

Green_Hammock wrote:
Lui_Bon wrote:
Green_Hammock wrote:
Rodman wrote:

I love Stagnant, one of the most uplifting songs I've heard.

Paradise Lost and The Divine Wings of Tragedy are probably my favourites by Symphony X, I'm not a huge fan though. Iconoclast (title track) is the best on the album for me, I also like the ballad When All Is Lost.

The lyrics were noticeably better on A Dramatic Turn Of Events imo, no cringe worthy stuff like The Count of Tuscany (love the song, hate the lyrics).
The Odyssey is the album I had and passed on years ago. I'll check out Paradise Lost (and you should check out the band of the same name).

Seriously, Green_Hammock, check out some Blind Guardian. German speed/power metallers who base all their lyrics on classic novels and films, as well as all things Tolkein. What really separates them from the pack is their vocalist who, unlike most power metal singers, has balls the size of an Irish broad's ar*e. The lead guitarist also happens to be my all-time favourite player. He can make his guitar sing like nobody else. Their first 5 albums are essential. Youtube songs like Time What Is Time, Journey Through the Dark, Traveler In Time, Bright Eyes, I'm Alive, Ashes to Ashes, Majesty, Welcome to Dying, Valhalla, Banish From Sanctuary, Mirror Mirror...

Check some of those out and if you dig them I can point you in the direction of more.
#BoneMcCrone
Green_Hammock
Bradley Clyde

Post by Green_Hammock »

I have Imaginations from the Other Side from a couple of years ago, and thought it was pretty good from what I remember, what other albums would you recommend?
Rodman
Laurie Daley

Post by Rodman »

Green_Hammock wrote:I have Imaginations from the Other Side from a couple of years ago, and thought it was pretty good from what I remember, what other albums would you recommend?
Imaginations is great. All the previous albums are awesome too - they started to lose the plot a bit after that...

I'd say Tales From the Twilight World or Somewhere Far Beyond should be the next albums check out. The previous two, Follow the Blind and Battalions of Fear are pure speed metal (but still brilliant). Once you're familiar with those albums it's essential to check out the live album Tokyo Tales - all killer, no filler.
#BoneMcCrone
Green_Hammock
Bradley Clyde

Post by Green_Hammock »

Rodman wrote:
Green_Hammock wrote:I have Imaginations from the Other Side from a couple of years ago, and thought it was pretty good from what I remember, what other albums would you recommend?
Imaginations is great. All the previous albums are awesome too - they started to lose the plot a bit after that...

I'd say Tales From the Twilight World or Somewhere Far Beyond should be the next albums check out. The previous two, Follow the Blind and Battalions of Fear are pure speed metal (but still brilliant). Once you're familiar with those albums it's essential to check out the live album Tokyo Tales - all killer, no filler.
Cheers, will do.
Lui_Bon
Jason Croker

Post by Lui_Bon »

I'll think about Blind Gardain later, though it sounds interesiting... also, no I haven't hearf Tales from 1000 Lakes. I believe that this new album Magic and Mayhem (?) has remakes from earlier Amorphis albums... would that be worth it? Should I just extend my tentacles backwards? You know Rodman (et al) you are costing me a lot money!)

Well whatever. I picked up the new Dream Theater album on Friday when it was first available... haven't watched the dvd of their drummer rehearsals yet, what with life and etc intervening, but I hve to say, my judgement is: I like it.

There's a lot less of that obtrusive drumming. Only one instance of that high-tuned tom roll. And it sounds almost like a tribute.

Sounds to me like the band had a whole lot more fun making the album. The lyrics are (mostly) better. Altogether, it seems to me like Portnoy is better off with his godbothering mates on Transatlantic and Rudess and petrucci are finally getting it on LTE style. And laBrie can sing the way he wants without Portnoy trying his ludicrous growling.
Rodman
Laurie Daley

Post by Rodman »

Lui_Bon wrote:I'll think about Blind Gardain later, though it sounds interesiting... also, no I haven't hearf Tales from 1000 Lakes. I believe that this new album Magic and Mayhem (?) has remakes from earlier Amorphis albums... would that be worth it? Should I just extend my tentacles backwards? You know Rodman (et al) you are costing me a lot money!)

Well whatever. I picked up the new Dream Theater album on Friday when it was first available... haven't watched the dvd of their drummer rehearsals yet, what with life and etc intervening, but I hve to say, my judgement is: I like it.

There's a lot less of that obtrusive drumming. Only one instance of that high-tuned tom roll. And it sounds almost like a tribute.

Sounds to me like the band had a whole lot more fun making the album. The lyrics are (mostly) better. Altogether, it seems to me like Portnoy is better off with his godbothering mates on Transatlantic and Rudess and petrucci are finally getting it on LTE style. And laBrie can sing the way he wants without Portnoy trying his ludicrous growling.
I never got into Dream Theater. Had a few albums but didn't care for them much...even this sexy girl from uni who was a fanatic couldn't arouse my interest. Like Chinese food, perhaps it's something I'll learn to appreciate as I get older.

I would definitely recommend going backwards re Amorphis. I've heard a few newish tracks and while decent, they can't compare with that record. Even the followup to Tales From the Thousand Lakes (which I believe is Elegy) sounds like a different band. You should probably youtube a few tracks before forking out any dosh, but as a Black Sabbath fan who appears to have a penchant for atmospheric, proggy metal, I think you'll dig it.
#BoneMcCrone
Rodman
Laurie Daley

Post by Rodman »

I just read that Destruction are touring Australia in the next few months.

F**k yeah!
#BoneMcCrone
Lui_Bon
Jason Croker

Post by Lui_Bon »

Rodman wrote:I just read that Destruction are touring Australia in the next few months.

F**k yeah!
Oh Good. Sorry, I've never heard of them. You ubderstan i am a bit old and limited... as was the style of the day, to wear an obion...

ah, yeah, in answer to some of your previous and unanswered questions I haven't heard Amorphs' Tales from 1000 Lakes (is that the right name... ayway doesn't matter), I bought Skyforger whcih I liked despite a certain cheesiness, then got Elegy at random second hand, and jusrt recently pixcked up thnew album (I'm not sure I could be bothered correcting my keyboard erosr...ayk). The new album is a bit ho hum, I loved Skyforger, Elegy was good. They have some album called Magic and Somethingorother which is them rerecording earlier stuff... I giess that might be a good sampler - it includes a couple at least of tracks from elegy so possibly goes back to the TF1KL you are talking about.

The new Dream Theater abum, I think it's the best thing they've done since 6 Degrees. It's all a personal opinion, but I like it. I got caught by them because when a mate put me onto tem I had no idea that they were partof a genre that existed and i was in the sort of loop of christ there must be more to music than the new Oasis album and i can't just listen to Richmond Fontaine and old Van der Graaf Generator albums... so the idea that there was such a beast as either neoprog or progmetal made my day. Kind of like remembering that I liked war films. in fact, I think that I might be the epitome of Denis Leary's song...

and out of the blue, Rodman, have you got a copy of the Space Ritual?
Rodman
Laurie Daley

Post by Rodman »

Destruction are a German thrash band that emerged during the 1980s. IMO, they were the weakest of the 'Big 3' of Teutonic thrash (behind Kreator and Sodom), but have usurped both bands with their more recent albums. They are one of the few 80s thrash acts to put out better albums in the 21st century than during thrash's heyday. The Antichrist is easily one of the best modern thrash albums.

I don't have Space Ritual. I don't have any Hawkind. I don't really have a lot of Motorhead - only Ace of Spades and a random compilation.
#BoneMcCrone
Lui_Bon
Jason Croker

Post by Lui_Bon »

To quote selectively from Allmusic:

"While not concerned with rock's material trappings, Hawkwind were, ironically, among the hardest-working groups in Britain, averaging one show every three days during the year preceding these recordings. Given all that practice, it's not surprising that the performances collected here are incredibly tight (although, reportedly, a couple of tracks were edited). Incorporating most of Doremi Fasol Latido, the show for the Space Ritual tour was conceived as a space rock opera, its blend of sci-fi electronics, mesmerizing psy-fi grooves, and heavy, earthbound jamming punctuated with spoken word interludes from astral poet Bob Calvert. Although his intergalactic musings date the album, coming across now as camp futurism, they still provide fitting atmospheric preambles to Hawkwind's astounding, mind-warping sounds. Calvert's manic recital of Michael Moorcock's "Sonic Attack," for instance, is an exercise in tension that subsequently explodes on the stomping "Time We Left This World Today"; with Nik Turner's otherworldly sax, Dave Brock's guitar distortion, and the earth-moving rhythm section of Simon King and Lemmy, this track offers a blueprint for the album's most potent material. Another standout is "Orgone Accumulator," ten minutes of hypnotic (Wilhelm) Reich and roll that could be the missing link between Booker T. and Stereolab. A 1973 advertisement described Space Ritual as "88 minutes of brain damage"; that characterization still holds true. "

They are wrong. This is a five star album, not 4 and a half. Also, the late great Bob Calvert does not date the album; his recitations from Moorcock are pitch perfect.

I might be a little biased. But i swear, I loved this album straight for at least 4 years before I realised its true glory.

The edited tracks are available on various rematestered editions. I think I own about 9 different versions of Brainstorm. I've also seen Pop Will Eat Itself play Orgone Accumulator at the ANU Bar and it doesn't compare with listening to it the original on a machine on numerous occasions...

I've heard it said that the Who's Live at Leeds was the first heavy metal record... maybe , but this is better. And it still sounds great.

They have some other good albums too. I think I've got most of them...
Albi
David Furner

The metal thread

Post by Albi »

Anyone going to Opeth this December?

Lui_Bon
Jason Croker

Post by Lui_Bon »

Albi wrote:Anyone going to Opeth this December?
I'd love to, but I'm probably not allowed out. Where are they playing - Sydneywise?
Rodman
Laurie Daley

Post by Rodman »

Just got my ticket to Blind Guardian at the Metro!!!

My most favourite band I've never seen live. Pretty...pretty...pretty pumped.
#BoneMcCrone
Albi
David Furner

The metal thread

Post by Albi »

Lui_Bon wrote:
Albi wrote:Anyone going to Opeth this December?
I'd love to, but I'm probably not allowed out. Where are they playing - Sydneywise?
THURSDAY 15 DECEMBER BRISBANE, THE TIVOLI – 18+
http://www.ticketek.com.au

FRIDAY 16 DECEMBER SYDNEY, THE ENMORE – LIC A/A

SUNDAY 18 DECEMBER MELBOURNE, THE PALACE – 18+

TUESDAY 20 DECEMBER PERTH, FREMANTLE METROPOLIS – 18+
http://www.oztix.com.au

Rodman
Laurie Daley

Post by Rodman »

I won't be going to Opeth, but only because the size of my fortnightly government stipend forces me to be very selective when it comes to gigs.

I saw Opeth years ago at Newtown and it was pretty impressive. Have you seen them before, Albi?
#BoneMcCrone
Albi
David Furner

The metal thread

Post by Albi »

No, never been, not really a fan tbh..

Rodman
Laurie Daley

Post by Rodman »

I've never been a great fan either, TBH, but I've been listening to them a bit of late whilst I've been studying. Headbanging thrash or technical death metal is not really conducive to concentrating and absorbing the writings of Edward Said, and I've rinsed all my Candlemass and Katatonia these last few months. Albums like Still Life and Blackwater Park are quality background music.
#BoneMcCrone
Green_Hammock
Bradley Clyde

Post by Green_Hammock »

I wish I liked Opeth more than I do because I think they are a great band but there are so few songs that I really like that much, among those are Deliverance, The Lotus Eater and I really like the album Damnation although it's not metal. Their new album is pretty decent, especially Marrow of the Earth but I'll need to listen to that more.
Lui_Bon
Jason Croker

Post by Lui_Bon »

I have just been getting off on a preliminary listen and watch of the new Devin Townsend Project 4 dvd 5 cd box set, By A Thread, Live in London 2011.

I have to say that it is totally magnificent.

I even love the packaging...
Michael
Mal Meninga

Post by Michael »

I've been listening to a little bit of Municipal Waste lately - it's good fun.
Rodman
Laurie Daley

Post by Rodman »

Municipal Waste are unreal, though it's beginning to seem that they've pushed the whole retro-party crossover-thrash thing about as far as it can go. Hazardous Mutation and The Art of Partying are the ones to get.
#BoneMcCrone
Michael
Mal Meninga

Post by Michael »

Alright fellas, can anyone recommend any decent new hardcore/punk/trash bands? Most of the more aggressive bands I listen to have been around forever, and for some reason the entire market is just flooded with new bands that play screamo and call themselves 'hardcore/post-hardcore' eg. Amity Affliction, The Ghost Inside, Bring me the horizon et al.

Also, has there ever been a genre of music that has produced band names as terrible as screamo bands?
Albi
David Furner

The metal thread

Post by Albi »

I've heard some 'life long tragedy' a hardcore punk band from California and thought they were excellent

Shezza
Laurie Daley

Post by Shezza »

Michael - I don't. Hope this helps.
2013 'Nella Awards - MVP
2013 'Nella Awards - Spite Day Winner
2013 'Nella Awards - Worst System (The Club)
Michael
Mal Meninga

Post by Michael »

Metalcore is a pox on us all.