NFL Thread

From cricket to motor sports to wrestling and anything in between

Moderator: GH Moderators

the bone
John Ferguson

Re: NFL Thread

Post by the bone »

2 from 2 baby! Bears hiring Eberflus.

Quinn has announced he’s returning to Dallas as DC, so my perfect record is gone. Daboll to Miami rumours heating up, which could lead to Flores at Giants.
Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Post by Matt »

Quinn staying at cowboys.
Ian Rapoport via Tom Pelissero
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Saints have requested permission to interview Buccaneers OC Byron Leftwich for their head coaching job, per source.

Adam Schefter
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Big Ben officially retiring after 18yrs in the league.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

Botman wrote: January 27, 2022, 7:27 pm Your post got me interested haha.
On overthecap now trying to find another way and god dammit there really isn't a lot of options but to completely strip the roster down.

No wonder Payton wanted to get the **** out, this team has ghastly potential next year.
Yeah, it's a total train wreck. I look at other teams with cap problems and there's a number of outs. Saints not so fortunate. Even stripping the roster right down is difficult with the amount of dead money on some severly bloated contracts. A lot like the Bulldogs situation in the NRL. They will have to get rid of guys they really don't want to lose.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

Matt wrote: January 28, 2022, 6:11 am Quinn staying at cowboys.
That's surprising. Thought he'd get one of the jobs for sure.

Edit: looks like he probably would have but a substantial pay rise (and probably some other agreements about McCarthy's future) got him to take himself out of the running and come back
Last edited by Botman on January 28, 2022, 8:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Let's put all the caveats on the table to begin with. These HC hires are a lottery, no one really knows who's going to be good and bad. McAdoo was a highly sought after candidate and he stunk, Reich was an afterthought and he's good. Doug Pederson was considered one of the worst hires in recent memory and the Eagles won a SB on the back of his coaching. Urban Meyer was a big splashy name and was arguably the greatest disaster in NFL coaching history. Selah, Smith and Staley were the 3 hot candidates in 2021, whilst Sirianni was a punchline and you'd argue right now Sirianni is as good or better than all of them 1 year in... so we dont really know **** is what im saying :lol:

That said, i got some takes to get off :lol:

Eberflus - Bears
I HATE this hire. HATE it. I dont mind Eberflus as a DC, he's a bit timid for me, runs that soft zone coverage stuff that gets you some solid results in the regular season when you're going against a lot of average to bad teams but good QB's dice this **** up and that's played itself out mostly in the league. But look he'll do good things with that Bears defence im sure... the problem with this hire is what is the upside? Lets say Eberflus is GREAT, and the defence is awesome and he's got an OC in there who develops Fields into a legit franchise QB... what then? The OC gets hired away and you gotta go and find another guy and if he's good, he'll get hired away too.... the upside is signing up for constant turn over at the OC position at a time where you're trying to develop a young QB.
I dont like this hire at all.

Hackett - Denver
Seems like a blatant play for Rodgers. And the dominos are starting to line up where i can see a Rodgers-Adams trade to Packers for some picks and players... Gut feel one of Coutland Sutton/Jerry Juedy will be involved and 2-3 picks.
As for the hire itself, i quite like Hackett and the offensive systems he runs. It's a timing a rhythm based offence. Either they get Rodgers or they go in for a young QB and have to develop him and i like this sort of coach in a development role. He'll teach good habits and his scheme will emphasis those habits in the progressions and reads.
His DC will be important, he'll probably want to give that DC a lot of independence to run that initially but i think this is a solid hire with pretty good upside. If they get Rodgers, this team SHOULD compete in the play offs in year 1
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Also looks like the Raiders and Josh McDaniels is zooming quickly towards a marriage.
Interesting spot for McDaniels to make his final stand as a HC
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Eberflus to Bears I didn't expect. Not really as name I had noticed in the HC market. Thought Bears might have gone for a more ready made candidate. They are rolling the dice on this one and good luck to them. Fair to say the people making these hires have way way more insight than we do.

Dominoes begin to fall and most of the high profile candidates are still on the board. As boney already said, Flores to Giants and Daboll to Dolphins is looking increasingly likely. Some caveats though. 49ers still playing could be delaying announcements regarding the landing spot for Mike McDaniel. Then there's the Harbaugh factor. Apparently Bears were close to hiring him, which means he's on the market and still available. Raiders have now requested to interview Josh McDaniels, which I doubt would happen if they were all in on Harbaugh.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
the bone
John Ferguson

Post by the bone »

Rumours that the new Washington moniker (to be revealed next week) will be the Commanders
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

the bone wrote: January 28, 2022, 10:00 am Rumours that the new Washington moniker (to be revealed next week) will be the Commanders
Ewww. Dont like that.

Redhawks was my favourite but Miami University sort of beat them to that, Sentinels and Red Hogs were the others i thought were good
Commanders stinks :lol:
PrimetimeRaider
Jason Croker

Post by PrimetimeRaider »

Why would Rodgers go to the AFC to compete with teams quarterbacked by Josh Allen, Joe Burrow, (and if he chooses the Broncos), Mahomes and Herbert in his own division? David Carr is also competent as well from the AFC West. Thats a slog just to get to the playoffs. Seems to me he could cruise in the NFC but I guess there's not many good teams/solid teams just needing a QB in there that he could go to?
the bone
John Ferguson

Post by the bone »

Yeah agreed Commanders sucks. I was thinking they might take an NRL flavour - Roosters or Dragons.
the bone
John Ferguson

Post by the bone »

PrimetimeRaider wrote: January 28, 2022, 10:14 am Why would Rodgers go to the AFC to compete with teams quarterbacked by Josh Allen, Joe Burrow, (and if he chooses the Broncos), Mahomes and Herbert in his own division? David Carr is also competent as well from the AFC West. Thats a slog just to get to the playoffs. Seems to me he could cruise in the NFC but I guess there's not many good teams/solid teams just needing a QB in there that he could go to?
I’m not sure how much players take that into account tbh. Most of the top players are ultra competitive - anyone anyday type of attitude. I think they tend to go to the opposing conference because it reduces the risk of eliminating their former franchise in the playoffs, which can be a bit of a legacy killer in the eyes of their former franchise.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Botman wrote: January 28, 2022, 10:05 am
the bone wrote: January 28, 2022, 10:00 am Rumours that the new Washington moniker (to be revealed next week) will be the Commanders
Ewww. Dont like that.

Redhawks was my favourite but Miami University sort of beat them to that, Sentinels and Red Hogs were the others i thought were good
The Commanders leak is based on a domain name transfer so not most solid of info. I'd have thought this kind of thing was done well before the announcement was about to occur.

Name still sucks. WFT fans will be very disappointed if thats the case.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

PrimetimeRaider wrote: January 28, 2022, 10:14 am Why would Rodgers go to the AFC to compete with teams quarterbacked by Josh Allen, Joe Burrow, (and if he chooses the Broncos), Mahomes and Herbert in his own division? David Carr is also competent as well from the AFC West. Thats a slog just to get to the playoffs. Seems to me he could cruise in the NFC but I guess there's not many good teams/solid teams just needing a QB in there that he could go to?
I don’t know Aaron Rodgers personally but I’m confident he doesn’t think there is a QB in the world better than him
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

the bone wrote: January 28, 2022, 10:17 am
I’m not sure how much players take that into account tbh. Most of the top players are ultra competitive - anyone anyday type of attitude. I think they tend to go to the opposing conference because it reduces the risk of eliminating their former franchise in the playoffs, which can be a bit of a legacy killer in the eyes of their former franchise.
Agree. Fans think that way. Players don't. Might be more of a consideration if you were a Free Safety.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Botman wrote: January 28, 2022, 10:29 am
I don’t know Aaron Rodgers personally but I’m confident he doesn’t think there is a QB in the world better than him
Haha, reminds me when the Australian Open draw came out and there were news articles about how tough Ash Barty's draw was. I made the simple comment "Tougher draw for her oponents". :)
PrimetimeRaider
Jason Croker

Post by PrimetimeRaider »

Fair enough. I just figured he's only sticking around to win. And moving to the AFC West isn't really the easiest situation to be in (probably almost the worst tbh). But he's got a big enough opinion of himself that it'll be entertaining one way or the other.
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Botman wrote: January 28, 2022, 7:59 am
Matt wrote: January 28, 2022, 6:11 am Quinn staying at cowboys.
That's surprising. Thought he'd get one of the jobs for sure.

Edit: looks like he probably would have but a substantial pay rise (and probably some other agreements about McCarthy's future) got him to take himself out of the running and come back
I'm sure there are things like that, yes. The players looooooove him too. So that helps.
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Northern Raider wrote: January 28, 2022, 10:27 am
Ewww. Dont like that.

The Commanders leak is based on a domain name transfer so not most solid of info. I'd have thought this kind of thing was done well before the announcement was about to occur.

I thought a Twitter leak confirmed Sentinels a couple of wks back? Similar story RE domains.
Commanders is shiite!
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Matt wrote: January 28, 2022, 2:55 pm
Northern Raider wrote: January 28, 2022, 10:27 am
Ewww. Dont like that.

I thought a Twitter leak confirmed Sentinels a couple of wks back? Similar story RE domains.
Commanders is shiite!
Really has to be Washington Generals
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

They need to do it for the Simpsons memes

“Ohh I thought the generals were due… he’s spinning the ball on his finger, just take it!”
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Botman wrote: January 28, 2022, 3:31 pm They need to do it for the Simpsons memes

“Ohh I thought the generals were due… he’s spinning the ball on his finger, just take it!”
Here you go.

Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Northern Raider wrote: January 28, 2022, 3:41 pm
Botman wrote: January 28, 2022, 3:31 pm They need to do it for the Simpsons memes

Here you go.

But the Sentinels have Keanu at QB
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Ravens officially hired former Michigan defensive coordinator Mike Macdonald as their defensive coordinator.

Adam Schefter
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Matt wrote: January 28, 2022, 5:12 pm Ravens officially hired former Michigan defensive coordinator Mike Macdonald as their defensive coordinator.

Adam Schefter
Interesting, makes you wonder about harbough’s future there
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Botman wrote: January 28, 2022, 6:11 pm
Matt wrote: January 28, 2022, 5:12 pm Ravens officially hired former Michigan defensive coordinator Mike Macdonald as their defensive coordinator.

Adam Schefter
He's been good for them. But anyone can go stale
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Hard to read what that means for Harbaugh
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Matt wrote: January 28, 2022, 7:07 pm

Adam Schefter
I was talking about Jim and Michigan. Not John.
I think his DC walking away from Michigan to take a job with his brother suggests Jim is pretty serious about an NFL return. Problem is he's reportedly got limited interest. And the one who was heavily linked to him seems likely to have McDaniels and Dave Ziegler as their new GM-HC combo by the time i wake up tomorrow morning
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Botman wrote: January 28, 2022, 7:48 pm
Matt wrote: January 28, 2022, 7:07 pm

Adam Schefter
I was talking about Jim and Michigan. Not John.
I think his DC walking away from Michigan to take a job with his brother suggests Jim is pretty serious about an NFL return. Problem is he's reportedly got limited interest. And the one who was heavily linked to him seems likely to have McDaniels and Dave Ziegler as their new GM-HC combo by the time i wake up tomorrow morning
Thats the issue with 2 of them. Haha
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Daboll landing with New York :(
The giants might have nailed this

the bone
John Ferguson

Post by the bone »

Rapoport reporting Giants and Daboll are working on a deal so not over the hill just yet.There was a report that Leftwich and Jaguars were close but ultimately couldn’t agree to terms, so it can still go awry from here. I was hoping for Pederson, but doesn’t seem like Giants were ever interested. In fact Pederson overall appears to have had a very cool market.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Sounds like Daboll was Miami’s top choice too
Which could be a blessing in disguise, the eagles top candidate a few years ago was Ben McAdoo, the giants beat them to him and the Eagles hired Doug Pederson instead
the bone
John Ferguson

Post by the bone »

Daboll to Giants confirmed. It is hard to be excited because at the end of the day, we have no idea how this is going to turn out.