Re: NFL Thread

Post by greeneyed »

Go 49ers.
Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Post by Matt »

9ers have had 2 games with things going their way to play in the SB. Today was ridiculous.

I reckon Chiefs roll them big time.
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

From John Harbaugh to Jim Harbaugh: Chargers are working to hire Ravens’ director of player personnel Joe Hortiz as their general manager, per sources. Hortiz now is likely to team with Jim Harbaugh to give the Chargers their new coveted GM-HC combo.

Schefter
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

King Henry to Dallas is getting plenty of noise.
That would likely see Pollard gone.
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

the bone wrote: January 29, 2024, 9:40 am Ravens were very underwhelming. Mahomes and Kelce with the highlights but the Chiefs D is so good.
Felt like one of their worst games of the year to me.
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

The Steelers are hiring former Falcons HC Arthur Smith as their next offensive coordinator per @tompelissero
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

HUGE development for the Lions and Commanders... Lions OC Ben Johnson has told teams he's staying in Detroit
Just such a big win for Detroit to keep him in house for another year and a bitter blow for the Commanders who seemed to be zeroed in on him as their next HC. As an Eagles fan, im thrilled Ben Johnson won't be coming into the division. And it's objectively cool that he's choosing to stay with his guys and that Lions team and push for a ring rather than jump for the money and opportunity. If the eagles cant win the SB next year, i REAAAAAAAALY hope the Lions do.

For the Commies, it's now very interesting to see who they pivot to. Is this now a Seattle/Commanders dog fight for Mike Macdonald?
They were pretty adamant they were not interested in BB, so i still think he's out. But Mike Vrabrel? Dan Quinn? Do these guys come back into frame? Or is it the next best young offensive mind and is this a Bobby Slowik spot now?
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

Vrabel to Commies would be an ideal fit.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

As had come to be expected in recent days, Mike Macdonald is the pick in Seattle.
I think that's a really good hire, particularly for that team and it's a point everyone will make, but no one has defended the modern NFL offence with all it's pre snap motion and alignment stuff that Shanahan and McVay have brought in better than the Mike Macdonald Ravens defences.
He's going to Seattle where there actually a decent amount of young defensive talent and that's in a division with Kyle Shanahan and Sean McVay. Going to be a really fun divisional story to track.

Who he brings with him to manage the offense will be interesting and of importance, and also how they handle QB. You could very easily talk yourself into another 2-3 years with Geno. He's played well enough to do that, but i wonder if they'll look at this very deep and loaded QB class and try and swing for their future.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

Geno Smith is a conundrum for the Seahawks. He's proven to be an adequate starter. While most would be looking to move on from that it shouldn't be underestimated how difficult it is to find a QB that's above that level. Realistically there's only a handful of those in the NFL and those guys aren't on the market.

Getting rid of an adequate starter runs a serious risk of regression and odds are you won't find an upgrade. IMO the Seahawks should stick with Geno for the immediate term and work the team around him.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Dan Quinn is the man in Washington
Could be a major loss for Dallas, as the defence has been the consistent presence that has fuelled that team. I’ve seen Ron Rivera floated as an option but I wonder if the Jones’s contact Mike Zimmer

For the commies I’m not sure I like the hire, will largely depend on some of the staff but with the 2nd over all pick, and Drake Maye coming to town, I think pairing him with an offensive mind and play caller was the move, they obviously wanted to do that with Ben Johnson and it didn’t pan out but the pivot to a defensive HC is a strange one imo
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Botman wrote: February 2, 2024, 6:12 am Dan Quinn is the man in Washington
Could be a major loss for Dallas, as the defence has been the consistent presence that has fuelled that team. I’ve seen Ron Rivera floated as an option but I wonder if the Jones’s contact Mike Zimmer

For the commies I’m not sure I like the hire, will largely depend on some of the staff but with the 2nd over all pick, and Drake Maye coming to town, I think pairing him with an offensive mind and play caller was the move, they obviously wanted to do that with Ben Johnson and it didn’t pan out but the pivot to a defensive HC is a strange one imo
DQ and Moore in the Div. Gonna have some "prove it" spice next yr.

Cowboys Passing Game coordinator Joe Whitt Jr is the in house favorite to be the Cowboys next defensive coordinator.
From Cowboys News page.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Matt wrote: February 2, 2024, 6:53 am

Cowboys Passing Game coordinator Joe Whitt Jr is the in house favorite to be the Cowboys next defensive coordinator.
From Cowboys News page.
Joe Whitt is going with DQ to be the DC in Washington.
Curious to see if he also brings other Dallas staff members, could really be gutting the coaching on that side of the ball
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Botman wrote: February 2, 2024, 8:43 am
Matt wrote: February 2, 2024, 6:53 am

From Cowboys News page.
Joe Whitt is going with DQ to be the DC in Washington.
Curious to see if he also brings other Dallas staff members, could really be gutting the coaching on that side of the ball
Yeah, it changed like 1-2hrs after the above post.
We might offer it to DB coach Al Harris, but again, he's a DQ guy OR DL coach Aden Durde.
Riverboat Ron is also being thrown up.
Id rather talk to Vrabel. I want a hardnosed guy
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

The Cowboys are interviewing former Commanders HC Ron Rivera for their DC vacancy next week, per David Moore.

Former Vikings HC and Cowboys DC Mike Zimmer is interested in the current vacant Cowboys gig a person with knowledge of his thinking said.

Via Calvin Watkins
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

I **** knew Mike Zimmer's name would end up in hat for this :lol:
Jerreh must absolutely love that bloke, any time a DC position or HC position is open in Dallas people start murmuring about Zimmer
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Botman wrote: February 2, 2024, 3:13 pm I **** knew Mike Zimmer's name would end up in hat for this :lol:
Jerreh must absolutely love that bloke, any time a DC position or HC position is open in Dallas people start murmuring about Zimmer
I can't stand him
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Matt wrote: February 2, 2024, 7:29 pm
Botman wrote: February 2, 2024, 3:13 pm I **** knew Mike Zimmer's name would end up in hat for this :lol:
I can't stand him
I think he's actually a good DC! His units generally play hard and are very well coached. I dont think he'd be the worst hire by any stretch but it's just wild to me how he's always in the names thrown out when Dallas have an opening.

When Mike McCarthy was retained i saw a few tweets from reports sort of saying - be thankful, cowboys fans. You would not have been happy who might have got the job if McCarthy got sacked.
And my reading between the lines of that was Zimmer was going to be in the frame for that.
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Botman wrote: February 2, 2024, 7:48 pm
Matt wrote: February 2, 2024, 7:29 pm
I can't stand him
I think he's actually a good DC! His units generally play hard and are very well coached. I dont think he'd be the worst hire by any stretch but it's just wild to me how he's always in the names thrown out when Dallas have an opening.

When Mike McCarthy was retained i saw a few tweets from reports sort of saying - be thankful, cowboys fans. You would not have been happy who might have got the job if McCarthy got sacked.
And my reading between the lines of that was Zimmer was going to be in the frame for that.
Oh no... that would have been horrible
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

The Raiders are hiring former Cardinals HC Kliff Kingsbury as their next offensive coordinator per @adamschefter

He most recently served as a senior offensive analyst at USC
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Matt wrote: February 2, 2024, 8:31 pm The Raiders are hiring former Cardinals HC Kliff Kingsbury as their next offensive coordinator per @adamschefter

He most recently served as a senior offensive analyst at USC
i spent DAAAAAAAAAAYS before the Kellen Moore hire terrified the eagles would make him their OC.
They'd interviewed him and good lord did i want nothing to do with that... Kliff's obviously gotten where he got for a reason and has something to offer, but his approach to offense is not for me.
Im far from fully in on the Moore hire, i can see why they went that way and can see the high upside of it but i also can see how it's a disaster...

Kliff Kingsbery is imo, an offensive disaster. It's just not a holistic offensive approach imo. So part of my happiness about Kellen Moore is that it wasnt Kliff. :lol:

Im very weary of the Antonio Pierce hire, to me hiring the interims works almost never. There is some bounce back from the energy and excitement they have for the opportunity that can result in some uptick in game day performanace... but it's so rare that it works out and this hire is a big ol red flag for the AP tenure in LV. Gut feel... he wont last beyond year 2.
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Bo Nix stocks gonna rise after the senior bowl apparently. Getting some massive wraps.
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Dolphins officially named Anthony Weaver as their new Defensive Coordinator.

Schefter
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

The Pierce Raiders get their first break! Kliff deal falls through and they moved quickly to secure Luke Getsy
Nothing special about him as an OC and play caller but it's a competent, well thought about offence. Much better hire than Kliff

Meanwhile Kliff might be on his way to WAS to develop Maye with DQ. Another red flag for that whole situation
But Drake Maye is a very good talent who might be good enough to make it all work.
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Las Vegas Raiders head coach Antonio Pierce is a “big fan” of Heisman Trophy winner Jayden Daniels. Some league sources think the Raiders will try to move up in the Draft.

Daniels and Pierce spent time together at Arizona State.

Via ESPN.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Matt wrote: February 8, 2024, 5:53 pm Las Vegas Raiders head coach Antonio Pierce is a “big fan” of Heisman Trophy winner Jayden Daniels. Some league sources think the Raiders will try to move up in the Draft.

Daniels and Pierce spent time together at Arizona State.

Via ESPN.
It's hard to imagine they'll get the opportunity to draft him
All 3 teams at the top of the draft have clear needs at QB... i guess the Patriots could probably justify moving back for picks and anticipating they can be back in the top 5 to take QB in the next 2 years, but there is no guarantee and the picks you get to move back might end up being that and more for what they have to use to move up

Caleb Williams and Drake Maye going 1 and 2 seems like a slam dunk to me... if the Pats like Daniels, there is no reason they shouldnt slam that pick too but stranger things have happened
President Clinton
Dean Lance
Favourite Player: Clinton Schifcofske

Post by President Clinton »

Looks like Chicago are going to take Williams based on all reports.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

President Clinton wrote: February 8, 2024, 7:48 pm Looks like Chicago are going to take Williams based on all reports.
Does seem that way.
Firstly i think that's the right decision, secondly it will be very interesting to see where the Justin Fields landing spot in and what the cost is.
I've seen it suggested he might even get a first but i doubt that. I think it'll be an early 2nd and some change

Saw an interesting idea floated on twitter, that the Commanders could trade their 2nd and draft MHJ with their first
Doubt it, mostly because they're already pretty heavily invested in WR and i think they've got a good WR corp... i think both McLaurin and Dotson can play at a high level... but that's a fun idea for sure!
President Clinton
Dean Lance
Favourite Player: Clinton Schifcofske

Post by President Clinton »

Such an exciting draft.

Even with the intrigue around Fields and MHJ. I like Fields, and I’ll follow him the rest of his career. I don’t think CHI can take the risk of passing Williams though, especially after I’ve thought about it some more. They’ve already passed up on Mahomes.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

President Clinton wrote: February 8, 2024, 8:04 pm Such an exciting draft.

Even with the intrigue around Fields and MHJ. I like Fields, and I’ll follow him the rest of his career. I don’t think CHI can take the risk of passing Williams though, especially after I’ve thought about it some more. They’ve already passed up on Mahomes.
And Stroud who right now looks like the next stud QB
But yeah its just tough for the bears not to pull the trigger, it kind of resets their franchise at an appropriate time and they can get on with life with one of the best QB talents to come out in the last 20-30 years.

I like Feilds too, i think he's a very specific QB that needs to be in a specific set up, but i think he can be an impactful starter in the league. Not sure what his future hold. SB in a few days and then it's full steam ahead with off season.
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

The Cowboys are expected to hire Mike Zimmer as their defensive coordinator, per Tom Pelissero.

Arrrrgh...
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Cowboys are blocking the Commanders from interviewing DBs coach Al Harris for a position on Dan Quinn’s staff, per Todd Archer.

Hmm.... not sure this is good for moral
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Matt wrote: February 9, 2024, 5:37 pm Cowboys are blocking the Commanders from interviewing DBs coach Al Harris for a position on Dan Quinn’s staff, per Todd Archer.

They've blocked a few requests.
Which is interesting as usually a request doesnt come through unless the staff is already at the point of wanting to leave.
It seems more out of spite now than anything, just pissed off Quinn is gutting the staff. But yeah not great to keep staff against their desires imo.

Cant believe they actually made the Zimmer hire and i kind of called it :lol:
I like the hire though, Mike Zimmer is a good defensive coach, his teams play hard and play sound fundamental football. Curious to see if time away from the NFL has change his approach or if it's just going to classic double a gap blitzin' son of a gun Mike Zimmer
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Botman wrote: February 9, 2024, 6:40 pm
Matt wrote: February 9, 2024, 5:37 pm Cowboys are blocking the Commanders from interviewing DBs coach Al Harris for a position on Dan Quinn’s staff, per Todd Archer.

They've blocked a few requests.
Which is interesting as usually a request doesnt come through unless the staff is already at the point of wanting to leave.
It seems more out of spite now than anything, just pissed off Quinn is gutting the staff. But yeah not great to keep staff against their desires imo.

Cant believe they actually made the Zimmer hire and i kind of called it :lol:
I like the hire though, Mike Zimmer is a good defensive coach, his teams play hard and play sound fundamental football. Curious to see if time away from the NFL has change his approach or if it's just going to classic double a gap blitzin' son of a gun Mike Zimmer
At least he'll have 1 dude that is quick enough to get home in a hurry, and 3 ball hawks looking to jump hurried throws.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

**** it! Mock draft time baby
Been digging in a little on the draft class of late, starting to get a feel for the guys at the top of the draft, expecting to go day 1 and early day 2....

So i present, the way to early, but 100% totally right Botman Mock

1. CHI: Caleb Williams, QB, USC
2. WAS: Drake Maye, QB
3. NE: Jayden Daniels, QB
4. ARI: Marvin Harrison Jr, WR
5. LAC: Joe Alt, OT
6. NYG: Malik Nabbers, WR
7. TEN: Olumuyiwa Fashanu, OT
8. ATL: Cooper DeJean, CB
9. CHI: Rome Odunze, WR
10. NYJ: Brock Bowers, TE
11. MIN: Terrion Arnold, CB
12. DEN: Laiatu Latu, EDGE * (if he clears medical)
13. LVR: Taliese Fuaga, OT
14. NOS: Dallas Turner, EDGE
15. IND: Jer'Zhan Newton, DT
16. SEA: Chop Robinson, EDGE
17. JAC: Nate Wiggins, CB
18. CIN: JC Latham, OT
19. LAR: Quinyon Mitchell, CB
20. PIT: Kool-Aid McKinstry, CB
21. MIA: Amarius Mims, OT
22. PHI: Jackson Powers-Johnson, C
23. HOU: Jared Verse, EDGE
24. DAL: Tyler Guyton, OT