NFL Thread

From cricket to motor sports to wrestling and anything in between

Moderator: GH Moderators

the bone
John Ferguson

Re: NFL Thread

Post by the bone »

The first of the HC dominoes falls (exc. internal promos). Callahan to the Titans - seems like a good hire given his work with Burrow over the past 4 years and even with Browning this year. Prior to a few days ago, whenever his name came up I was confusing him with the Bengals DC, who was talked about as a potential HC in prior cycles but no so much during this one… so because of my confusion and the fact I thought he was a DC, I didn’t look into him at all until the last couple of days. He’s the son of a former HC who is one of the best OL coaches in the league, so you’d think he’d bring his father along to Nashville (currently Browns OL coach). To update my HC predictions, I now think Slowik gets hired by the Panthers, and Canales goes back to Tampa Bay, missing out this cycle.
the bone
John Ferguson

Post by the bone »

Posts on X are saying Harbaugh and Chargers are close to a deal!

Looks like Vrabel could miss out this hiring cycle, but he’ll have his eyes on a big prize next year - potential vacancies in Pittsburgh, Dallas, Philadelphia and both teams in New York.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

Callahan bringing his father almost makes the hire worth it on it's own
Said to be one of the best OL coaches of all time

Some random thoughts:

Vrabel missing out on this cycle would be pretty wild but it's hard to find the spot for him now
Im surprised to see how soft the Belichick market is, right now it seems like it's Falcons or bust and the Falcons interest is seemingly fed entirely by the owner, and the GM Fontenot and CEO Rick McKay dont seem as on board
Raheem Morris is a good dark horse candidate too, wouldnt be shocked if he gets one of these jobs, Falcons or Commanders could be his spot.
Seeing reports Dan Quinn would be bringing Chip Kelly with him as OC, i think that tandem would be a slam dunk for Seattle.
The Panthers should get Ben Johnson in the door as soon as they can and not let him leave, they desperately need him to try salvage Young.

Based on all that, my predictions would be:
Falcons: Bill Belichick
Panthers: Ben Johnson
Seahawks: Dan Quinn
Commanders: Raheem Morris
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

Vrabel an interesting one. Not exactly part of the Belichick coaching tree however most of his NFL playing experience was under him. Vrabel did an outstanding job at Titans during his tenure getting a fairly average roster to overachieve. That seems to be Belichick disciples are able to do well. Get the most out of ordinary players. Unfortunately they domuch beyond that which is why that particular coaching tree has been a relative failure. The question will therefore remain can Vrabel take a team to the next level? Organisations may view him more as a blue collar competitor rather than elite NFL coach who can deliver championships. As such he most likely will end up at a perennial battler who covets a playoff spot rather than a team with Superbowl aspirations. That rules out jobs like Dallas and Philly of the come available.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Post by Matt »

Cowboys are expected to work toward a Dak Prescott extension this offseason. As options go, there is a way the team can reduce his $59.46M cap hit in 2024 without a new deal. The avenue requires no negotiation, already baked into his contract’s language.

Per Michael Gehlken
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Matt wrote: January 24, 2024, 11:42 am Cowboys are expected to work toward a Dak Prescott extension this offseason. As options go, there is a way the team can reduce his $59.46M cap hit in 2024 without a new deal. The avenue requires no negotiation, already baked into his contract’s language.

Per Michael Gehlken
They kind of have to... its pretty wild how much leverage Dak has
He's off contract in 2025 and he has a no trade clause and no tag clause... so if he wanted to, he could simply play this year out and be a TRUE free agent and Dallas could not do a damn thing to stop it. He could leave the cowboys and all they'd get back would be a 3rd round compensatory pick for the contract he'd sign. They either need to extend him and make him the highest paid player in the NFL, or find a team he'd be willing to waive his no trade clause to trade him to. Those are literally their only viable options

I would LOVE to see what a QB like him would get as a true free agent... i think it would top the Watson deal... but it wont happen. I would wager Dak's contract will clear Joe Burrows 55m AAV (annual average value) mark by a decent margin.

60m AAV is in play
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Botman wrote: January 24, 2024, 1:05 pm
Matt wrote: January 24, 2024, 11:42 am Cowboys are expected to work toward a Dak Prescott extension this offseason. As options go, there is a way the team can reduce his $59.46M cap hit in 2024 without a new deal. The avenue requires no negotiation, already baked into his contract’s language.

Per Michael Gehlken
They kind of have to... its pretty wild how much leverage Dak has
He's off contract in 2025 and he has a no trade clause and no tag clause... so if he wanted to, he could simply play this year out and be a TRUE free agent and Dallas could not do a damn thing to stop it. He could leave the cowboys and all they'd get back would be a 3rd round compensatory pick for the contract he'd sign. They either need to extend him and make him the highest paid player in the NFL, or find a team he'd be willing to waive his no trade clause to trade him to. Those are literally their only viable options

I would LOVE to see what a QB like him would get as a true free agent... i think it would top the Watson deal... but it wont happen. I would wager Dak's contract will clear Joe Burrows 55m AAV (annual average value) mark by a decent margin.

60m AAV is in play
It's harder coz he clearly a fringe top QB. So it makes him harder to move on from. But if u do, your also likely shutting the SB windows they are in.
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Where do we think Henry and Barkley land?

Will Cowboys cut Pollard? Or did we get lucky and we can pay unders?
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

It's really ridiculous the % of cap taken up by QBs these days. Teams are compelled to over pay for guys who are good, not great. Dak is a great example. Plays at an elite level then has a tendency to let you down when you need him most. He's got plenty of friends in that category.
Allen, Lamar, Hurts, Herbert, etc are all guilty of it too. When you look at the top paid QBs and theirs very few that you could call bankable match winners. Mahomes for sure. Maybe Burrow.

We also see guys like Wilson, Murray and Watson on incredible money and simply not worth it. Shows how desperate teams are for QB talent.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Matt wrote: January 24, 2024, 1:22 pm Where do we think Henry and Barkley land?

Dalvin Cook showed what the market is like for veteran RBs. Don't see anybody forking out big $$ on these guys. Nobody is interested in what they did in the past. They only worried about what they can do going forward. Most will assume these guys will tail off as RBs tend to do. Might get decent money on 1 year deals. Multi year deals will have very little guaranteed money.

Pollard cashed in this past season. Looking at half that money for 2024 I'd expect.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

If i had to guess... Pollard stays at the Cowboys on a reasonable extension, Henry signs with the Ravens on a team friendly ring chasing sort of deal.

Saquon... to me this is a Texans spot. They've got the QB, LT, couple of legit WRs. Their OL is solid. They just don't have juice at RB. They also have over 60m of projected cap space. They can afford to pay at the top of the RB market given they're saving huge at QB and WR and i think that will be their general ethos... spend in FA on offence and let DeMeco Ryans draft and develop on defence.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Northern Raider wrote: January 24, 2024, 1:24 pm It's really ridiculous the % of cap taken up by QBs these days. Teams are compelled to over pay for guys who are good, not great. Dak is a great example. Plays at an elite level then has a tendency to let you down when you need him most. He's got plenty of friends in that category.
Allen, Lamar, Hurts, Herbert, etc are all guilty of it too. When you look at the top paid QBs and theirs very few that you could call bankable match winners. Mahomes for sure. Maybe Burrow.

We also see guys like Wilson, Murray and Watson on incredible money and simply not worth it. Shows how desperate teams are for QB talent.
Yeah its tough, and one of the reasons why a rookie QB contract is so valuable. If you've got even a good QB on a rookie deal, it just allows you to do so much to supplement the roster. If you pay a QB, you need him to be GREAT. Not just good. And they need to be able to win in the play offs

I think Mahomes, Burrow and Allen are all 100% no questions asked worth it IMO.
I think Lamar is proving and will continue to prove this year he's in that bucket too. The only problem with Burrow, Allen and Lamar is they're stuck in an era and conference with Mahomes. But there is no doubt in my mind, that you pay those guys whatever it takes and they're worth it.

Herbert, Hurts, Dak, Lawrence... these are the guys who have got the money or will get it soon who still have something to prove.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Botman wrote: January 24, 2024, 1:41 pm
Northern Raider wrote: January 24, 2024, 1:24 pm It's really ridiculous the % of cap taken up by QBs these days. Teams are compelled to over pay for guys who are good, not great. Dak is a great example. Plays at an elite level then has a tendency to let you down when you need him most. He's got plenty of friends in that category.

Yeah its tough, and one of the reasons why a rookie QB contract is so valuable. If you've got even a good QB on a rookie deal, it just allows you to do so much to supplement the roster. If you pay a QB, you need him to be GREAT. Not just good. And they need to be able to win in the play offs

I think Lamar is proving and will continue to prove this year he's in that bucket too. The only problem with Burrow, Allen and Lamar is they're stuck in an era and conference with Mahomes. But there is no doubt in my mind, that you pay those guys whatever it takes and they're worth it.

Herbert, Hurts, Dak, Lawrence... these are the guys who have got the money or will get it soon who still have something to prove.
Those top 4 you could invest heavily in and build a roster around them. Just like Pats did with Brady. They could let expensive FAs walk and bring in a lot of mid level offensive talent knowing Brady could elevate them to the next level. Mahomes and Allen can certainly make players around them better. Burrow likely to fall into that category once the sample size is larger. Lamar doesn't necessarily make other better with his QB play. It's more about creating a system that complements his strengths so ultimately everyone on offense benefits. Worked exceptionally well this year.

It's that next tier down where questions get raised. They're all in the same salary region as the top players but still have something to prove. Teams are paying them in hope that they achieve that level.

Dolphins are in a conundrum right now with Tua. They have his 5th year option for 2024 but need to look beyond that. An extension would require another one of these mega deals and I don't think he's proven to be worth that yet. Trouble is you don't pay him and risk spending the next 5+ years trying to find someone as good, let alone better.
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Northern Raider wrote: January 24, 2024, 2:34 pm
Botman wrote: January 24, 2024, 1:41 pm

Those top 4 you could invest heavily in and build a roster around them. Just like Pats did with Brady. They could let expensive FAs walk and bring in a lot of mid level offensive talent knowing Brady could elevate them to the next level. Mahomes and Allen can certainly make players around them better. Burrow likely to fall into that category once the sample size is larger. Lamar doesn't necessarily make other better with his QB play. It's more about creating a system that complements his strengths so ultimately everyone on offense benefits. Worked exceptionally well this year.

It's that next tier down where questions get raised. They're all in the same salary region as the top players but still have something to prove. Teams are paying them in hope that they achieve that level.

Dolphins are in a conundrum right now with Tua. They have his 5th year option for 2024 but need to look beyond that. An extension would require another one of these mega deals and I don't think he's proven to be worth that yet. Trouble is you don't pay him and risk spending the next 5+ years trying to find someone as good, let alone better.
That quandary never goes away. That's why "good" is deemed good enough, and they get paid.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Botman wrote: January 24, 2024, 1:34 pm

If i had to guess... Pollard stays at the Cowboys on a reasonable extension, Henry signs with the Ravens on a team friendly ring chasing sort of deal.

Saquon... to me this is a Texans spot. They've got the QB, LT, couple of legit WRs. Their OL is solid. They just don't have juice at RB. They also have over 60m of projected cap space. They can afford to pay at the top of the RB market given they're saving huge at QB and WR and i think that will be their general ethos... spend in FA on offence and let DeMeco Ryans draft and develop on defence.
Biggest problem for veteran RBs is teams are consistently finding decent substitutes on days 2 and 3 of the draft. While many feel they can snag a quality starter for a $1m-$2m cap hit they won't cough up for veteran FAs.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Northern Raider wrote: January 24, 2024, 2:42 pm
Botman wrote: January 24, 2024, 1:34 pm

Biggest problem for veteran RBs is teams are consistently finding decent substitutes on days 2 and 3 of the draft. While many feel they can snag a quality starter for a $1m-$2m cap hit they won't cough up for veteran FAs.
I think that is largely correct and it will still make sense for most teams to steer clear of paying veteran RBs and simply draft them.
There are a few factors at play here that specifically make me think the Texans would give Barkley a 2-3 year deal at the top of the market for RBs

1. They have nothing at RB at all. The QB is good, the WRs are good, the OL is solid and they just got nothing out of their RBs so it's a clear need.
2. They have the cap space to do it, as said, 60+m and Nico Collins aside and maybe Steven Nelson, they dont have anyone they have to pay urgently.
3. Barkley is a 3 down back who can pass protect, which helps their QB in providing a balanced running game and helps protect him in the pocket
4. RB's can always be found in drafts, so im not saying all these guys are bums, but this is said to be a very bad RB draft. But if you just lined up the top 75 prospects in this class, one RB might scrap into that list right now.

I think this Texans team is uniquely positioned to offer Barkley the Johnathon Taylor contract
3 years, $42m and $26.5m guaranteed... which means they could get 2 years of elite production out of him, at 14m and move on in 2027 when he'd be 29 and they're starting to think about paying this draft class
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Vic Fangio and Dolphins have mutually agreed to part ways. Fangio expected to take up the DC role with Eagles.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Northern Raider wrote: January 25, 2024, 7:04 am Vic Fangio and Dolphins have mutually agreed to part ways. Fangio expected to take up the DC role with Eagles.
And here i was thinking "That's it. I am done with these Fangio tree DCs"
But i think there is a fairly large difference between guys who have coached with and use the Fangio style and actually getting Vic Fangio himself. Worth noting that if Jonno Gannon didnt **** the eagles last year by not being upfront about his HC opportunity, Fangio was 1000000% going to be their DC this year. He's from the area and has strong relationship with Roseman. So this partnership makes a lot of sense. I am somewhat surprised Miami let him go though.

I don't want the Fangio wannabe's but I'm pretty excited to get the real deal actual Vic Fangio.
That pretty much puts to bed the Eagles DC situation.

OC has some interesting names popping up, including Frank Reich, Jim Bob Cooter, Eric Bieniemy, Kliff Kingsbury and Terrod Taylor. At the end of season presser today Nick Sirianni and Roseman did say the new OC will have a large control of the offence, so presumable Sirianni has agreed to step back a little on that front.
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

Jim Bob Cooter. The guys name is actually Jim Bob Cooter. That's a real slice of apple pie.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

zim wrote: January 25, 2024, 9:07 am Jim Bob Cooter. The guys name is actually Jim Bob Cooter. That's a real slice of apple pie.
I remember thinking almost that exact thought when i first heard about him as Detroits QB coach back in 2015.
Its American as it gets :lol:
the bone
John Ferguson

Post by the bone »

Harbaugh to the Chargers is confirmed
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

the bone wrote: January 25, 2024, 11:30 am Harbaugh to the Chargers is confirmed
Seemed the obvious landing point.

I guess Vrabrel might miss out
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Sean Payton, Andy Reid and Jim Harbough in the same division is very fun!
AFC W is going to be a dog fight
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Botman wrote: January 25, 2024, 11:55 am Sean Payton, Andy Reid and Jim Harbough in the same division is very fun!
AFC W is going to be a dog fight
2 rosters need to get better 1st, but in a yr or 2, yup
the bone
John Ferguson

Post by the bone »

The trail of Slowik to the Panthers has gone cold. Seems like Belichick to the Falcons is fading too.
Vrabel back in play for both NFCS teams.
Still seems like Ben Johnson to the Commanders.
Seahawks ? Still assuming Dan Quinn
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Belichick might not get hired this cycle. Which would be absolutely nuts
I doubt it happens and i think Blank will eventually hire him but if the Falcons go another direction, im not sure there is a spot for BB
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Botman wrote: January 25, 2024, 12:17 pm Belichick might not get hired this cycle. Which would be absolutely nuts
I doubt it happens and i think Blank will eventually hire him but if the Falcons go another direction, im not sure there is a spot for BB
Falcons go with Raheem Morris. And now we’re at a point where this is now likely

Neither side left standing have been linked to Bb at all. It seems like WAS are waiting on Ben Johnson and Seattle… well who knows but it seems unlikely they sacked Pete Carroll to bring in BB, GM Schnieder won’t be ceding power he only just got
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Botman wrote: January 26, 2024, 8:49 am
Botman wrote: January 25, 2024, 12:17 pm Belichick might not get hired this cycle. Which would be absolutely nuts
Falcons go with Raheem Morris. And now we’re at a point where this is now likely

Neither side left standing have been linked to Bb at all. It seems like WAS are waiting on Ben Johnson and Seattle… well who knows but it seems unlikely they sacked Pete Carroll to bring in BB, GM Schnieder won’t be ceding power he only just got
I'd agree. But stranger things have happened
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Matt wrote: January 26, 2024, 9:08 am
Botman wrote: January 26, 2024, 8:49 am

I'd agree. But stranger things have happened
Example....
The Commanders are expected to have their second, in-person interview with Cowboys DC Dan Quinn early next week, per Ian Rapoport.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

What i cant figure out is what is going on in Seattle, i figured that was a slam for DQ, especially if he was bringing Chip Kelly as OC which is what i saw reported.
But if they want to do that, they can do that right now.

Best guess is maybe both Seattle and Commanders want Ben Johnson, and once that domino falls, the other will go quite quickly.
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Chargers to hire Jim Harbaugh as new head coach. (via Ian Rapoport, Tom Pelissero, Mike Garafolo)
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Grain of salt and all, but Vrabrel is being discussed as a strong DC option if DQ goes on the Cowboys fan pages. It's getting traction in the media and Twitter. Nothing super concrete though.

It wasn't me, but funny that I said it would be interesting a couple of wks ago and now it has buzz
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Green Bay, the Los Angeles Rams and Atlanta have sought permission to speak to Cowboys defensive line coach Aden Durde, per multiple sources. He has been with the team since 2021, having spent 5 years with Dan Quinn in Atlanta, where he also worked with new coach Raheem Morris.

Per Todd Archer

Hmmm... the defensive dominoes might be falling
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Also heard an interview with Al Harris, the highly fancied DB’s coach who’s been putting in high quality work for the cowboys

Basically said if DQ goes and asks him to go with him, he’ll do it. So could be some real turnover for the Cowboys if Quinn goes

Replacing Quinn, Harris and Durde would be a tough ask
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Botman wrote: January 27, 2024, 3:39 pm Also heard an interview with Al Harris, the highly fancied DB’s coach who’s been putting in high quality work for the cowboys

Basically said if DQ goes and asks him to go with him, he’ll do it. So could be some real turnover for the Cowboys if Quinn goes

Replacing Quinn, Harris and Durde would be a tough ask
that would suck. I like Al