NFL Thread

From cricket to motor sports to wrestling and anything in between

Moderator: GH Moderators

Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Re: NFL Thread

Post by Matt »

Botman wrote: March 4, 2024, 7:07 pm Big loss, the cowboys low key have a lot of key openings on the starting units.
Big off season for them.
It's a great OT class and they've been excellent scouting the OL so i think they'll believe in themselves to draft and develop there.
Oh yeah, we have holes to fill. I think there will be big turnover too.

OL - Left Tackle and Centre - Tyler is locked in at Guard apparently - Tyson and Biadiaz are free agents.

DT - Hankins is a free agent and while Mazi has 3+1 yrs, he sucks.

LB - LVE is a free agent. Overshown is returning from an ACL. Clark is the only other LB worth anything... we do have 2 guys on special teams, but thats their ceiling. Parsons might go back to a hybrid role.

CB - Gilmore and Lewis are free agents.

RB - Pollard and Dowdle are free agents. Vaughn is a scat back/ returner at best.

WR - Cooks is a free agent, Gallup isn't the same, Tolbert is a #3 at best.

DE - Armstrong and Fowler are free agents. Williams is a loose unit. Parson hybrid?

S - Kearse is a free agent, and Hooker is next yr.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

Kearse is someone im a little interested in as money ball safetey free agent for my Birds
Think he can play and would suit the Fangio defence. Smart player, can play.

Lot of good safeties on the market but i think the Eagles probably need like 3 of them given Brown's late season ACL. If Kearse is the #3 safety, id be ok with that.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Some rough free agency birds thoughts roughly a week out.

S: If Antonie Winfield Jr makes it to FA, i want the birds to back the **** truck up for him. Otherwise, CJGJ, McKinney, Duggar at the tier 2... and beyond that Curl, Jeremy Chinn (please bring in Chinn!) and Geno Stone are players i like

LB: Azeez Al-Shaair would be good... Frankie Luvu is interesting for Fangio but needs to be used in a very specific way to get bang for the buck.
Patrick Queen scares me a little and i think he'll price himself out of our market... Jordan Brooks and Al-Shaair would be the dream. Willie Gay... colour me interested. Out on Devin White

CB: Unless they swing someone for L'Jarius Sneed i'd reather stick in the draft. I like the room unless we're bringing in a true difference maker. Also think the #22 spot sets up reeeally nice for CB in the draft.

DT: Lots of young bucks in that room, and they need to step up. Davis and Carter, it's time. I like Milton Williams and Moro Ojomo but Fletcher Cox is said to be hanging them up and some vet presence in the room would be good. Grover Stewart market is one worth looking at.

WR: I think with this class and 2x 2nd round picks, we can address WR3 and potential AJ Brown replacement in a 2 years with the draft. But for someone to slot into WR3 right now, to play over Quez Watkins... Noah Brown is the guy i want.. and you hope to draft over him

OG: I am not worried about C. Either Kelce comes back or they plug in Cam Jurgens who was drafted to replace him and you go with Steen or Opeta at guard. Going OL in the first round isnt out of the question though, need a long term Lane replacement. But Easton Stick is a good name too think about for back up QB if they have a nibble in FA

RB: Ill take swift back at 2 years 7-9m, and thats fine by me. If the RB market is soft... with Keleen Moore in house, i wonder if they sniff around Pollard, though eagles signing former cowboys has literally NEVER worked out. Always those guys have been sleeper agents phoning it in.

QB: They'll invest in QB, it's a good class, and so i think they'll draft a guy late to fill out the room. Tanner McKee looked solid in pre season last year. Hartman or Joe Milton III very late wouldnt surprise me. They look toolsy guys they can develop
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Botman wrote: March 4, 2024, 8:04 pm Kearse is someone im a little interested in as money ball safetey free agent for my Birds
Think he can play and would suit the Fangio defence. Smart player, can play.

Lot of good safeties on the market but i think the Eagles probably need like 3 of them given Brown's late season ACL. If Kearse is the #3 safety, id be ok with that.
He's a DQ guy. I think he'll be in Washington
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

yeah that would a lot of sense given their DB situation
I think this free agency pool is really interesting and the extra cap space will embolden teams to make aggressive moves
I cant wait.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Jason Kelce officially retires.
Honestly one of my very favourite athletes as a fan. He was both awesome on the field and off it. I think he’s probably second in terms of athletes ive loved most supporting in my life. My love and appreciation for him pushed me to learn more about the game so I could properly understand his impact.

Amazing career. From a walk on a Cinci, 6th round pick for the eagles to finishing his career with 6 all pros in his last 7 seasons, a Super Bowl champion and soon to be Hall of Famer. Truly unique player as a center.

His HOF Speech is gonna be a banger
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Broncos informed Russell Wilson he'll be released when the new league year begins
I thought there was a decent chance he wouldnt make it to year 2 of Sean Payton, but it's still staggering to believe an NFL team is really taking on 82m in dead cap over the next two seasons. It sets a new record for largest dead cap hit and is greater than the last two records combined.

Curious to see if the Broncos bottom out this year and reset next year, or if they're a JJ McCarthy team. They're placed #12 over all, so in a good position to trade up to get him if they think they need to, but also could just sit and hope he falls. Vikings picking at #11 is a big risk, McCarthy is said to be a QB that Shanahan/McVay coaches will love (Kevin O'Connell is from that system tree) and it looks like the Vikings and Cousins are headed in different directions.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

That's massive news. Broncos certainly dug a massive hole for themselves with the Wilson trade and contract. It was a deal they had no viable exit strategy for and now it's really going to bite. Looks like they've accepted more pain now rather than stretch it out over a longer period. Thought they might have stuck it out 1 more year with Wilson to maybe transition in a young QB and substantially reduce the dead cap hit.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Got a C for you Botman:

The Cowboys do not consider themselves positioned to be financially competitive for Biadasz’s services on the open market, per Michael Gehlken.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Matt wrote: March 6, 2024, 4:56 pm Got a C for you Botman:

The Cowboys do not consider themselves positioned to be financially competitive for Biadasz’s services on the open market, per Michael Gehlken.
TBH not the biggest fan of his, he's ok, good solid NFL centre, he'll find work pretty quickly but it wont be with the Eagles

Cam Jurgens was drafted in the 2nd round 2 years ago, Kelce himself helped scout him and signed off and approved the pick... he proved he can play at NFL level when he stepped in to G this year and was pretty good... We'll need a replacement at guard. There are good reasonably affordable free agent options and then there is last years 2nd round pick Steen and long term back up Opeta who have both showed they can play at NFL level albeit on a smaller scale but i think they'll likely give Steen the chance to take that spot.

But Jurgens is going to slide into the role he was drafted to fill... big big shoes to fill!
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Bills planning to release CB Tre’Davious White. (via Ian Rapoport)
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

More roster moves: The Philadelphia Eagles are releasing CB Avonte Maddox after six seasons, per sources. He had a $9.6 million salary cap hit for 2024. The two sides will keep talking and are open to a reunion.

Schefter
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Three-time Pro Bowl TE Zach Ertz is signing with the #Commanders on a one-year deal worth up to $5 million, per source.

It’s a reunion for Ertz and Kliff Kingsbury, who got him a ton of targets in Arizona, on a deal negotiated by agent and TE guru @SteveCaric of @WassermanNFL. pic.twitter.com/GYvJaTmax0

— Tom Pelissero (@TomPelissero) March 6, 2024
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Matt wrote: March 7, 2024, 7:43 am Three-time Pro Bowl TE Zach Ertz is signing with the #Commanders on a one-year deal worth up to $5 million, per source.

It’s a reunion for Ertz and Kliff Kingsbury, who got him a ton of targets in Arizona, on a deal negotiated by agent and TE guru @SteveCaric of @WassermanNFL. pic.twitter.com/GYvJaTmax0

— Tom Pelissero (@TomPelissero) March 6, 2024
Funniest part of that

Hats off to Steve Caric, extremely good bit!
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

This is interesting...

Tony Pollard is reportedly open to taking less money in free agency if it means staying with the Cowboys, per Calvin Watkins.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Man there is a lot of movement and cap being shed at the moment
Lot of cap casualties and trade rumours starting to perk up

I am anticipating a fair bit of action this free agency

Tamper free period opens Tuesday around 4am
We’ll have news on many big moves by the time we wake up.

Sounds like the eagles are planning to trade one or both of Sweat and Reddick and will be aggressive in the Bryce Huff market
I think they’ll prioritise Justin Simmons too, and I’d love to grab Jordyn Brooks too
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

BREAKING: Compensation update: Titans are giving former Cowboys running back (Pollard) a three-year, $24 millon deal, per source.

Adam Schefter
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

I can’t believe the eagles paid at the top of the market for RB.
It’s fun! I’ll say that. Having saquon Barkley is very fun

Is it the best allocation of cap? Probably not. And very un-Howie like!
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Some crazy stuff going on here... wild day 1!
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Josh Jacobs to Packers. Aaron Jones told to find another team. A lot of movement on the RB front this offseason.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Northern Raider wrote: March 12, 2024, 9:34 am Josh Jacobs to Packers. Aaron Jones told to find another team. A lot of movement on the RB front this offseason.
Think this FA RB market is an indication on how teams feel about the draft at that position
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Botman wrote: March 12, 2024, 9:44 am
Northern Raider wrote: March 12, 2024, 9:34 am Josh Jacobs to Packers. Aaron Jones told to find another team. A lot of movement on the RB front this offseason.
Think this FA RB market is an indication on how teams feel about the draft at that position
Not sure it's that. Thinking it's more the impact CMC has had in San Fran. Most thought the 49ers had over committed in that acquisition, however he's been putting up MVP level performances and been a huge part in their NFC championship. Teams may be revisiting their theory on positional value for veterans in that role.

In the flip side we also have the scenarios like Raheem Mostert who showed a capable RB can thrive in the right system.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Northern Raider wrote: March 12, 2024, 10:40 am
Not sure it's that. Thinking it's more the impact CMC has had in San Fran. Most thought the 49ers had over committed in that acquisition, however he's been putting up MVP level performances and been a huge part in their NFC championship. Teams may be revisiting their theory on positional value for veterans in that role.

In the flip side we also have the scenarios like Raheem Mostert who showed a capable RB can thrive in the right system.
Yeah there might be something in that re: CMC.
Interesting market though

Even Devin Singletary got 7m per year... and boy id rather Barkley for 12m if Singletary is going to cost 7
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Botman wrote: March 12, 2024, 11:06 am

Even Devin Singletary got 7m per year... and boy id rather Barkley for 12m if Singletary is going to cost 7
I was part way through typing a comment about Singletary and removed it. :lol:

Giants obviously accepted a downgrade in the position, however I still think they paid overs. Agree, I would have preferred an extra few $m to keep Barkley. Otherwise go for a couple of bargain bin options and let them compete for carries.
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Dan Quinn is bringing in another familiar face: Sources say the #Commanders are expected to sign former #Cowboys C Tyler Biadasz.

Per Ian Rapoport
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Northern Raider wrote: March 12, 2024, 11:28 am
Botman wrote: March 12, 2024, 11:06 am

I was part way through typing a comment about Singletary and removed it. :lol:

Giants obviously accepted a downgrade in the position, however I still think they paid overs. Agree, I would have preferred an extra few $m to keep Barkley. Otherwise go for a couple of bargain bin options and let them compete for carries.
Barkley >gap> singltary.

I wonder if this all means King to Dallas??? I know Botman would love that.

We gonna need a C and a T/G to put in front of him though.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Henry and the Ravens have reported mutual interest.

Lots of players left i like for Safety for the eagles... less so at LB.

S: CJGJ, Kam Curl, Justin Simmons, Jordan Fuller and my favourite late flier Jeremy Chinn... get me one of the first 4 and bring in Chinn as a S/LB hybrid
LB: Jerome Baker, Josey Jewell, Willie Gay
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

CJGJ coming back to Philly
3 years, 33m max... Good fit for the Fangio D and fills a critical role of a safety who can come down and cover a slot.

Love that... also very funny because he spent the last 12 months **** on the people of Philly. Spoken openly about how he thought they were clowns, ignorant, rude etc
I cant wait to see both CJGJ and Fans to pretend that never happened :lol:
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Botman wrote: March 12, 2024, 2:47 pm Henry and the Ravens have reported mutual interest.

Lots of players left i like for Safety for the eagles... less so at LB.

S: CJGJ, Kam Curl, Justin Simmons, Jordan Fuller and my favourite late flier Jeremy Chinn... get me one of the first 4 and bring in Chinn as a S/LB hybrid
LB: Jerome Baker, Josey Jewell, Willie Gay
#Cowboys BREAKING

#DerrickHenry Signs with Ravens for $8M a Year in Free Agency https://www.si.com/nfl/cowboys/news/cow ... erry-jones via @DallasCowboysFN

Looks like we'll end up with Singletary or some other useless option as a starter come backup. Argh
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Singletary is already locked in at the Giants
I would expect the Cowboys to look at the draft for RB... Trey Benson would make sense

Eagles apparently still trying to make a move at LB
Josina Anderson saying "still in the market/ on the hunt for a LB, one way or another, per league sources"
So sounds like they're working FA and trade levers
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Bored at lunch, here's some tracker news:

Eric Kendricks has had a change of heart - after agreeing to terms with the 49ers earlier today, it now is being reported he has changed his mind - he is now expected to sign with the Dallas Cowboys - reuniting with Mike Zimmer!

Per Michael Gehlken

BREAKING: Dorance Armstrong has agreed to a 3-year, $45M deal with the #Commanders, per @jordanschultz

DQ steals 1. Underrated player is Armstrong.

Calvin Ridley is signing with the Tennessee Titans: 4 years, $92M, $50M fully guaranteed

Deal Negotiated by David Mulugheta and Reza Hesam.

The Titans have agreed to sign Tony Pollard to a 3-year deal, per Josina Anderson.

Titans agree to terms with QB Mason Rudolph on a one-year deal worth up to $3.62M. (via Mike Garafolo)

TRADE: Patriots trading QB Mac Jones to the Jaguars for a late-round pick. (via Ian Rapoport  + Tom Pelissero)

Raiders now have officially released QB Jimmy Garoppolo, QB Brian Hoyer, WR Hunter Renfrow and DT Jerry Tillery.

Schefter

Another one gone!

The #Dolphins are expected to sign #Cowboys DL Neville Gallimore, sources say. The former third-rounder reunites with DL coach Austin Clark in Miami, and Gallimore and Clark have trained together.

Per Ian Rapoport

Two sources tell me they kicked around the idea of RB Zack Moss but ultimately passed. Moss signed with the Bengals. It was a 2 year 8M deal with Cincy. This gives you an idea of the range they are entertaining right now #Cowboys

What now at running back with Tony Pollard gone? “We are looking at any player that can improve us in range that we can afford. We have talked to any guy who has called and listened to what their wishes or ranges are” per one source

Via Jane Slater
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Justin Simmons
Tyrel Dodson
Jerome Baker

Get me those 3 guys, and i'm happy with the eagles off season... except Hassan Reddick and/or Josh Sweat to be moved via trade as well, so there might be a corresponding move to bring in an edge player that fits to replace them and start opposite Huff
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Pheagles killing FA:

🏈RB Saquon Barkley
🏈DE Bryce Huff
🏈DB Chauncey Gardner-Johnson
🏈WR DeVante Parker
🏈LB Zack Baun
🏈OL Matt Hennessy