Re: NFL Thread

Post by Matt »

The Texans are trading DT Maliek Collins to the 49ers, per @adamschefter
Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Post by Matt »

Colts signing QB Joe Flacco to one-year deal worth up to $8.7M with $4.5M guaranteed. (via Ian Rapoport + Tom Pelissero + Mike Garafolo)
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

The Commanders are trading Sam Howell, a 4th round pick and a 6th round pick to the Seahawks for a 3rd round pick and a 5th round pick per @adamschefter
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

Botman wrote: March 4, 2024, 8:24 pm Out on Devin White
Ugh...
AFAIC the Eagles still need 2 LB's. Never great when you sign a player and still have very clear needs at the position
Devin White was one of the worst LBs in the NFL last year. Howie really cant **** evaluate that position at all. Get Jerome Baker please. At least he's competent
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Botman wrote: March 15, 2024, 9:41 am
Ugh...
AFAIC the Eagles still need 2 LB's. Never great when you sign a player and still have very clear needs at the position
Devin White was one of the worst LBs in the NFL last year. Howie really cant **** evaluate that position at all. Get Jerome Baker please. At least he's competent
Even with Kendricks, we need another. I doubt LVE will be back, BUT, at this stage Id love to take a 1yr punt as a depth piece to put with Overshown and Clark. Just dont play him on every down, maybe just run downs/ short yardage/ goalline.

I havent seen much of Kendricks lately. I assume this is an end of career type move. Can he still play? I know he is a Zim guy.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

If i had to guess, Kendricks is going to have more of an impact in helping to coach/onboard others to the Zimmer system than he will have on the field.
Not a bad signing for that purpose, but no i dont think he's a particularly good LB at this stage of his career.
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

The Bills are signing Curtis Samuel to a three-year, $24M deal per @adamschefter
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Matt wrote: March 15, 2024, 8:20 pm The Bills are signing Curtis Samuel to a three-year, $24M deal per @adamschefter
I like that deal. I think he's a good player. Not sure that's the right spot for him because i dont think Josh Allen throws a lot to a slot who isnt Cole Beasley
But he can play and if they use him right, he'll be good. One of my favourite deals of this late FA period
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Matt wrote: March 15, 2024, 1:18 pm
Botman wrote: March 15, 2024, 9:41 am
Ugh...
Even with Kendricks, we need another. I doubt LVE will be back, BUT, at this stage Id love to take a 1yr punt as a depth piece to put with Overshown and Clark. Just dont play him on every down, maybe just run downs/ short yardage/ goalline.

I havent seen much of Kendricks lately. I assume this is an end of career type move. Can he still play? I know he is a Zim guy.
The Cowboys have informed LB Leighton Vander Esch he will be released, per a source, with a failed physical designation. He missed final 12 games last year with a neck injury.

Per Todd Archer

Guess it's not happening...
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Eagles weird off season continues
Traded the equivalent of a 5th round pick for Kenny Pickett to be their back up qb

I’ve liked some of what the eagles have done, they’ve got cap space to do more good things… Justin Simmons and Jermone Baker plz

But the Devin White and Kenny Pickett moves are not ones I particularly like
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

I think Cowboys are shaping up to be the 3rd NFCE team this yr.
We have a lot of holes right now.

Might see La'el Collins at LG and Tyler Smith at LT next yr.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Matt wrote: March 16, 2024, 9:25 pm I think Cowboys are shaping up to be the 3rd NFCE team this yr.
We have a lot of holes right now.

Might see La'el Collins at LG and Tyler Smith at LT next yr.
They've got a bit to do with regards to the cap
CeeDee Lamb, Micah Parsons and Dak Prescott who are all due to be made the highest paid players at their positions shortly and im sure that's what will happen... but i gotta say the Prescott negotiation is on my radar

He's got all the leverage, the cowboys MUST pay him before next off season as he'll be an unrestricted FA, and he can't be tagged. So if the Cowboys let him hit FA, he's going to leave and all they'll get back for him is a 3rd round compensatory pick... and last i checked, the Jones's opening salvo was to get all the local beat writers **** on him about the lack of play off success and then having their official cowboys radio station give airtime to the lawyer of the women that alleges Prescott assaulted her and who are counter suing each other right now.

Not my idea of buying good will and favour in a tough negotiation. When all is said and done, i expect Prescott will be shorter term than the Cowboys want and put him above 60m APY and will allow Prescott to hit the market again around 34-35 for one final big money deal.

But there is a path, albeit an unlikely one to walk, starting to develop where Prescott tells them to **** off, and he plays out his final year and hits true free agency next year. I can't even imagine how much Miami and McDaniel might pay to pivot off from Tua to Dak, who would be really perfect in that sort of system
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

The **** are they doing?
Now openly flirting with letting Dak hit true free agency
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

TBH I don't think any of these QBs are worth the mega contracts being offered other than Mahomes, Allen and maybe Burrow. Those 3 all elevate the team around them. The rest are more reliant on having the right weapons and system the produce their best.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Northern Raider wrote: March 27, 2024, 1:01 pm TBH I don't think any of these QBs are worth the mega contracts being offered other than Mahomes, Allen and maybe Burrow. Those 3 all elevate the team around them. The rest are more reliant on having the right weapons and system the produce their best.
Sure but do you really think rather than paying Prescott the Cowboys are better off letting him walk and trying their hand at the rookie QB wheel of randomness? What are the odds they find the next Mahomes?
Dak has played at the level high enough that if they build the team the right way around him, they can win a SB. Worst Qbs than him have won a ring.
The cost of doing business at QB is going up and up and up... Kirk Cousins is getting 46m apy on the open market as a 36 year old coming off an achillies... whether these players are worth the money or not is kind of beside the point, the market is the market

Whether Dak re-signs with the Cowboys or signs as a true free agent, he's going to be the highest paid player in the NFL ... and every day Dallas delay the extension the price goes up
Frankly they should have extended him 18 months ago and they'd have him locked down on a deal that is paying him 50m a year which in this market is a bargain.

I still expect Dallas will re-sign him but how they have handled it and continue to handle it is straight up incompetence.
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

A fun international player. With genuine speed:

https://www.news.com.au/sport/nfl/rugby ... cialBakers
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Someone get Stef a map. You're brother is in Dallas Texas, not Houston Texas. Not the same place... argh!

PS. Stroud winning a SB
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Expect a Donta Smith extension to come soon.
Eagles have an absurd amount of cap space right now. Wondering if they're trying to roll over a lot next year when the cap is a little tighter than they're used to
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Will a DUI hurt his draft prospects? Or are there too few nose tackles to go round?

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/2024 ... qmRxf_hIMw
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Matt wrote: April 8, 2024, 8:41 am Will a DUI hurt his draft prospects? Or are there too few nose tackles to go round?

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/2024 ... qmRxf_hIMw
Short answer, yes. He was viewed as a day 2 cert and potentially even a day 1 pick. It's not so much the charge itself. More a reflection on character and judgement to do something like this a couple of weeks out from the draft. He'll almost certainly fall into day 3 now.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

I’ve tried to figure out how I’m going to watch the draft from Thailand but it just ain’t gonna work out for me
We fly back home the night of the draft so my current plan is - Social Media black out

And then prior to my flight back home, I’ll download all the reaction pods but also the Athletic’s Live Draft reaction pod, which Mays, Tice and Dane Brugler react to each pick

So that’s how I’m going to take in the draft, a delayed 3 hour pod on a flight :lol:

Drafts with qbs at the top are always the best, expecting a good amount of action and more than a few shocking twists and turns

For my birds
CB Arnold, Cooper DeJean would be what I want most
Expecting the pick will be an OLmen. Mims, Fautanu, Barton.

The dumbest thing we could do that is immediately talk myself into would be trading up for Bowers if he slides into the mid teens
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Why can't you track the draft online?
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Northern Raider wrote: April 22, 2024, 7:12 am Why can't you track the draft online?
The only internet access I have is via hotel wifi and we’ll be out and about in Bangkok for that morning and then packing to head home

I could try and grab some here and there and follow but it’ll be the last day of our trip and I don’t want to be focused on other stuff :lol:

So I’m just going to go dark and I’ll just invest 3 hours of the flight into it.
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Botman wrote: April 21, 2024, 11:56 pm I’ve tried to figure out how I’m going to watch the draft from Thailand but it just ain’t gonna work out for me
We fly back home the night of the draft so my current plan is - Social Media black out

And then prior to my flight back home, I’ll download all the reaction pods but also the Athletic’s Live Draft reaction pod, which Mays, Tice and Dane Brugler react to each pick

So that’s how I’m going to take in the draft, a delayed 3 hour pod on a flight :lol:

Drafts with qbs at the top are always the best, expecting a good amount of action and more than a few shocking twists and turns

For my birds
CB Arnold, Cooper DeJean would be what I want most
Expecting the pick will be an OLmen. Mims, Fautanu, Barton.

The dumbest thing we could do that is immediately talk myself into would be trading up for Bowers if he slides into the mid teens
OOo... thats gonna be tough. Good luck
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Matty Ice officially calls time
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Zach Wilson traded to Denver for pick swap. 6th for a 7th. Before anyone asks it is Denver getting the 7th round pick. :)
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Northern Raider wrote: April 23, 2024, 10:29 am Zach Wilson traded to Denver for pick swap. 6th for a 7th. Before anyone asks it is Denver getting the 7th round pick. :)
So will jets get a 3rd as a comp pick next yr too?
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

Botman wrote: April 22, 2024, 10:42 am
Northern Raider wrote: April 22, 2024, 7:12 am Why can't you track the draft online?
The only internet access I have is via hotel wifi and we’ll be out and about in Bangkok for that morning and then packing to head home

I could try and grab some here and there and follow but it’ll be the last day of our trip and I don’t want to be focused on other stuff :lol:

So I’m just going to go dark and I’ll just invest 3 hours of the flight into it.
If you decide against going "dark" next trip just get yourself a $20 eSIM.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Matt wrote: April 23, 2024, 1:36 pm
Northern Raider wrote: April 23, 2024, 10:29 am Zach Wilson traded to Denver for pick swap. 6th for a 7th. Before anyone asks it is Denver getting the 7th round pick. :)
You don't get comp picks for trades or cuts. Only players lost via FA, which is offset by players acquired through FA.
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Northern Raider wrote: April 23, 2024, 3:44 pm
Matt wrote: April 23, 2024, 1:36 pm
You don't get comp picks for trades or cuts. Only players lost via FA, which is offset by players acquired through FA.
I was thinking a double dip sounded wrong, but at the same time dumb enough for them to have given up.
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

30mins away.

I think we will see 2 WRs and 3 CBs go, before we see the 3rd OL off the board.
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

WOOOOW!!
SHOCK at #1!!
Caleb Williams
(For botmans benefit 🤣)
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Daniels at 2... shocked 🤣
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

1 and 2 as most predicted. Gets more interesting from this point. Do Pats take Maye or do they trade down? They really should take Maye. He's the best pure passer in the draft and they are in desperate need at QB.