Ex Raiders... where are they now?

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Re: Ex Raiders... where are they now?

Post by Botman »

Sure, but it’s one thing to attempt to apply those sorts of strategies, every coach does that. Every single one. It’s quite another to actually be able to identify the correct strategies for your team and your situation and to apply those strategies in an effective way that leads to high level success. That’s the job. If it’s not leading to success on the field, then the coach is failing.

The great coaches are ones who are very effective in man management and applying these sorts principles and show year in and year out they get the best out of their players and have high performing teams.

And in a results driven business like high level professional coaching, the proof of the pudding is in the eating. It’s in trophy’s and it’s in wins and loses.

And the coaching records of the people mentioned in this discussion speak for themselves on that front.
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

The Nickman wrote: March 1, 2024, 11:07 am I don't think there's an issue with Stuart's standards per se, it's just in coaching ability he can't hold a candle to Bellamy.

That's the key issue here. You can be grumpy with players all you want.
Let's not forget Bellamy and the Storm had multiple premierships strippedfrom them for cheating were blessed with freak players like Smith and Slater, and also almost single handedly destroyed the game with wrestling and grappling.

Sure, the man can coach. But by God he had some freakish luck along the way.

Like Tim Sheens with us.
The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
dubby
Don Furner

Post by dubby »

Botman wrote: March 1, 2024, 6:19 pm Sure, but it’s one thing to attempt to apply those sorts of strategies, every coach does that. Every single one. It’s quite another to actually be able to identify the correct strategies for your team and your situation and to apply those strategies in an effective way that leads to high level success. That’s the job. If it’s not leading to success on the field, then the coach is failing.

The great coaches are ones who are very effective in man management and applying these sorts principles and show year in and year out they get the best out of their players and have high performing teams.

And in a results driven business like high level professional coaching, the proof of the pudding is in the eating. It’s in trophy’s and it’s in wins and loses.

And the coaching records of the people mentioned in this discussion speak for themselves on that front.
I think you're drinking the Kool Aid.

Bennett last won a premiership when?

He's left every club in worse conditions than he found them.

He was given financial assistance from others outside the game that ensured his longevity.

He is very damn lucky to be where he is. Read the book, pig.

He was almost ousted at the Broncos in the 90s, was unwanted at others, and rejected us in the early 00s.

I'm not knocking his success and record. But by gosh he had some powerful friends.
The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

You won’t hear me arguing Wayne Bennett is a high quality coach in 2024 at the age of 74. Father Time comes for everyone

But he’s got 10 GF appearances and 7 premiership rings to his name. You’re welcome to dismiss that, I won’t be.

FWIW his last premiership success was more recent than our coaches only premiership success (a title many will tell you was won with a squad he did not assemble)

The kool-aid drinkers might be the ones trying to discredit coaches with far superior records and pretending that Stuart’s in their class and it’s just pot luck that his record can’t sniff theirs
dubby
Don Furner

Post by dubby »

Bennett has had high benefactors and significant political assuaged people than most.

The man can coach
But even be had his detractors

The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

dubby wrote:
The Nickman wrote: March 1, 2024, 11:07 am I don't think there's an issue with Stuart's standards per se, it's just in coaching ability he can't hold a candle to Bellamy.

That's the key issue here. You can be grumpy with players all you want.
Let's not forget Bellamy and the Storm had multiple premierships strippedfrom them for cheating were blessed with freak players like Smith and Slater, and also almost single handedly destroyed the game with wrestling and grappling.

Sure, the man can coach. But by God he had some freakish luck along the way.

Like Tim Sheens with us.
My god, what a load of absolute dribble
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

I dont how to even respond to that :lol:
I mean just stick to the man can coach, that's the only thing at play here. He can coach, has proven that over a highly decorated career

reminds me of the quote from the movie Chopper
"Even Beethoven had his critics. See if you can name three of them."
Made no sense really :lol:
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

Bennett might not be a high quality coach anymore, but geez he did a good job with the Dolphins last year and he was the perfect man for the role in setting up that franchise.

Would Stuart have done better?

No.
Hong Kong Raider
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by Hong Kong Raider »

Don't mind Ricky being tough and setting high standards. High standards and hard work are a minimum for success. What do the players expect otherwise.

But you need more than just that to be a successful FG coach that consistently wins premierships. Try coaching to adapt to the rules in modern NRL, selecting the right team, making proper use of the bench, being honest to look into the mirror to acknowledge past mistakes, focusing on the coaching of finer details like catching the ball when the foot is over the dead ball line, practising field goals, defending field goals, making use of an extra man when the opposition has a player in the sin bin.

A Bellamy team will never beat themselves. A Stuart team will though.

And winning the big games. Ricky hasn't been able to do that - 2003 and 2004 are prime examples with the Roosters. And we should have beaten Cronulla at home in 2016 and Melbourne as well. And the failure to win in 2019 was due to our failure to capitalise on our opportunities when the other side had 12 men.

Also try not making excuses and blaming others. Take ownership.

This year will be interesting.
Lucky
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Croker

Post by Lucky »

Good ol' Daniel Vidot aka Xyonn Quinn, back in the WWE after a year out.... sadly still only having 3 second matches :lol:
Got speared by Bronn Breakker, 1-2-3 and its over :clap:
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Post by Billy Walker »

Lucky wrote: March 2, 2024, 12:21 pm Good ol' Daniel Vidot aka Xyonn Quinn, back in the WWE after a year out.... sadly still only having 3 second matches :lol:
Will Breakker be in trouble with the MRC?
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Lucky wrote: March 2, 2024, 12:21 pm Good ol' Daniel Vidot aka Xyonn Quinn, back in the WWE after a year out.... sadly still only having 3 second matches :lol:
That weirdly came across my time line today too

Hats off to the algorithm though, it correctly judged that I was interested in seeing Vidot doing some old school jobbing
Lucky
Brett Mullins

Post by Lucky »

Billy Walker wrote: March 2, 2024, 2:24 pm
Will Breakker be in trouble with the MRC?
Wasn't a very powerful spear. Will probably still cop 2 weeks for it.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Just did some googling and this Bron Breakker lad is the son of a wrestler i used to watch (Rick Steiner).
Nothing makes you feel older than seeing the kid of someone you grew up watching come on to the scene :lol:
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

Botman wrote:Just did some googling and this Bron Breakker lad is the son of a wrestler i used to watch (Rick Steiner).
Nothing makes you feel older than seeing the kid of someone you grew up watching come on to the scene Image
Carlos Sainz Jr and Max Verstappen broke me

Sent from my SM-S911B using Tapatalk

Edrick The Entertainer
Lucky
Brett Mullins

Post by Lucky »

Botman wrote: March 2, 2024, 8:19 pm Just did some googling and this Bron Breakker lad is the son of a wrestler i used to watch (Rick Steiner).
Nothing makes you feel older than seeing the kid of someone you grew up watching come on to the scene :lol:
Yep. We are all gettin older and it sux. I remember when wrestling was in its prime back in 97' watching Rey Mysterio vs Eddie Guererro at Halloween Havoc....Reys son Dominik is now 20 something and having matches against his father...sigh :cry:
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Phil Graham

Post by FuiFui BradBrad »

Lucky wrote:
Botman wrote: March 2, 2024, 8:19 pm Just did some googling and this Bron Breakker lad is the son of a wrestler i used to watch (Rick Steiner).
Yep. We are all gettin older and it sux. I remember when wrestling was in its prime back in 97' watching Rey Mysterio vs Eddie Guererro at Halloween Havoc....Reys son Dominik is now 20 something and having matches against his father...sigh :cry:
Rocks daughter is now on NXT also…
Jarrod Croker did it for me. The first player I saw from debut to retirement.

We’re old lads.
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has done a superb job - 18/12/2020
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Phil Graham

Post by FuiFui BradBrad »

bonehead wrote:
Botman wrote:Just did some googling and this Bron Breakker lad is the son of a wrestler i used to watch (Rick Steiner).
Nothing makes you feel older than seeing the kid of someone you grew up watching come on to the scene Image
Carlos Sainz Jr and Max Verstappen broke me

Just saw Juan Montoya’s sons in F3 now
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has done a superb job - 18/12/2020
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

FuiFui BradBrad wrote:
Lucky wrote:
Rocks daughter is now on NXT also…
Jarrod Croker did it for me. The first player I saw from debut to retirement.

We’re old lads.
yeah a bit the same, from a 14yo in matts

Edrick The Entertainer
Ilanraiders
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Rubenrunlikeatrainandhitlikeatruckwiki!

Post by Ilanraiders »

Lucky wrote: March 2, 2024, 8:55 pm
My fav was the Ultimate warrior back in the day…. Talk about energy🙌🏾🙌🏾
"Learn to appreciate what you have, before time makes you appreciate what you had"!! RAIDERSTILLIDIE!!
cat
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Dane Tilse

Post by cat »

Curtis Scott vs Joey Leilua: Lying claims levelled at NRL bad boy: https://www.foxsports.com.au/boxing/box ... b22423e0c5

A very confusing and bizarre read...
Vaccinated
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

Me thinks Curtis Scott has a few issues he needs to deal with.
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

and BJ at 120 kegs is probably a few issues too

Edrick The Entertainer
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

bonehead wrote: March 9, 2024, 3:54 pm and BJ at 120 kegs is probably a few issues too

He only finished up at Featherstone Rovers 5 months ago.

Surely he wasn’t that heavy back then..surely ?
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
cat
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Dane Tilse

Post by cat »

Curtis Scott and Joey Leilua at war over 20kg and ‘forgotten’ Mad Monday history: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... 6187c4eea3

BJ says he had no good players in the teams he played in, only had himself to win the games........
Vaccinated
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

cat wrote: March 11, 2024, 5:27 pm Curtis Scott and Joey Leilua at war over 20kg and ‘forgotten’ Mad Monday history: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... 6187c4eea3

BJ says he had no good players in the teams he played in, only had himself to win the games........
I’ll be watching it - I enjoy watching Sammy Goodman box and Headsplitter Hardman is an entertainer. I’m not expecting much from BJ and Curtis but will watch those two goons pound on each other. Would like to see Curtis give him a good touch up.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

Scott was very impressive! The kid can box. BJ copped a thumping and went down in the second.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Cant say im surprised by that, BJ at 120kgs would be a slug trying to move around and clearly has not taken the conditioning and cardio side of the sport seriously.
Scott has a good frame for boxing and for all his faults has always been a guy puts work into his body.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

Botman wrote: March 13, 2024, 8:27 pm Cant say im surprised by that, BJ at 120kgs would be a slug trying to move around and clearly has not taken the conditioning and cardio side of the sport seriously.
Scott has a good frame for boxing and for all his faults has always been a guy puts work into his body.
He looked good for a first bout fighter. Very straight and controlled. He called out Barry Hall after the fight but that would be a waste of time I think. He’s 26 and has a good team behind him. He not far off someone like TPJ I don’t think.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Barry Hall is 47 :lol: Jesus.

If he's serious about it, he probably needs to forget the AFL/NRL route and just knuckle down and start working his way through the ranks. 26 is young enough that if he's good enough he can make a career out of boxing. There is always tomato cans in that sport who make a living off getting pounded that he can work his way through and collect some wins as he gets experience
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

Botman wrote: March 13, 2024, 8:42 pm Barry Hall is 47 :lol: Jesus.

If he's serious about it, he probably needs to forget the AFL/NRL route and just knuckle down and start working his way through the ranks. 26 is young enough that if he's good enough he can make a career out of boxing. There is always tomato cans in that sport who make a living off getting pounded that he can work his way through and collect some wins as he gets experience
Barry Michael and every other commentator were unanimous in the view that BJ needs to give the gloves away. Not fitness, commitment or style. Just a big wild swinger.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Billy Walker wrote: March 13, 2024, 8:57 pm

Barry Michael and every other commentator were unanimous in the view that BJ needs to give the gloves away. Not fitness, commitment or style. Just a big wild swinger.
Boxing is a sport that requires a supreme commitment to discipline, technique and fitness. I'd rate those things as 3 of BJ's worse traits... colour me unsurprised. :lol:
120kg as he's training as a boxer either menas he's not training that hard or he's hammering a LOT of KFC
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

Botman wrote: March 13, 2024, 9:02 pm
Billy Walker wrote: March 13, 2024, 8:57 pm

Boxing is a sport that requires a supreme commitment to discipline, technique and fitness. I'd rate those things as 3 of BJ's worse traits... colour me unsurprised. :lol:
120kg as he's training as a boxer either menas he's not training that hard or he's hammering a LOT of KFC
It’s sad when aging boxers are interviewed and they come across as incoherent as they struggle to string a sensible sentence together. I’m not convinced there would ever be a noticeable deterioration even if BJ was knocked out 54 fights straight. So he has that going for him even if the diet, fitness, ring craft and well everything else is missing.
Hong Kong Raider
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by Hong Kong Raider »

Joey's too slow and not agile enough. Looks unfit
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Footy fights are some Boxcar Bob ****

It's all fun and games until they fight a proper boxer then they get the **** beaten out of them

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk