Ex Raiders... where are they now?

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Re: Ex Raiders... where are they now?

Post by dubby »

Fuifui Bradbrad wrote: January 10, 2022, 6:43 pm The irony of someone getting in a spotlight, to say he’s enjoying being out of the spotlight.
:lol:
The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
Off
Laurie Daley

Post by Off »

You’re still a slave Jake. To ya fists, to the drink, to yourself.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

This place is woke.
cat
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Dane Tilse

Post by cat »

Question wrote: January 11, 2022, 9:17 pm You’re still a slave Jake. To ya fists, to the drink, to yourself.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
Jake? :?:
Vaccinated
dubby
Don Furner

Post by dubby »

Jake the Muss.

It's a reference to 'once were warriors'
The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
cat
Laurie Daley

Post by cat »

dubby wrote: January 11, 2022, 10:06 pm Jake the Muss.

It's a reference to 'once were warriors'
Thank you dubby :)
I'm more of your old aussie drama shows lol
Vaccinated
cat
Laurie Daley

Post by cat »

Curtis Scott’s legal team slams NRL for refusal of his contract: https://www.seriousaboutrl.com/curtis-s ... tp8unVg55w

Scott's lawyer upset at the nrl for blocking his contract with the eels.....

Bassd on the video footage the cops did over step the mark when they tasered him BUT it seems Scott now believes he is always being wronged now

Who says its the nrl stopping him playing , it might be the eels are happy to let him go too
Vaccinated
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Post by Billy Walker »

Look Scott seems like an A grade tool with very few redeeming qualities and I think the game would be better for him not being a part of it, but I tend to agree with his lawyers that the NRL has jumped the gun here.

At this point in time someone like Rapa who was arrested for drink drink driving and convicted of the crime has more of a criminal record than Curtis. Unless the NRL has decided to deregister every player who is arrested and pending a court hearing going forward then this does seem premature.
cat
Laurie Daley

Post by cat »

But thats the way the cookie crumbles

If he hadnt punched on at Kokomo’s the raiders wouldn't have had cause to sack him and he has a contract either at the raiders or eels ( with raiders paying freight)
Then he might have been stood down with pay

Kinda the same in the "real world "
If you just get a brand new job and this happens you most likely wont have the new job any more

If you already had the job then there would be discussion ( depending on the job obviously) and a process to either keep it or recieve a golden habd shake

One thing i have never seen is Scott take any responsibility, its always everyone else doing him wrong
Vaccinated
Johno
David Furner
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by Johno »

cat wrote: January 12, 2022, 1:25 am Curtis Scott’s legal team slams NRL for refusal of his contract: https://www.seriousaboutrl.com/curtis-s ... tp8unVg55w

Bassd on the video footage the cops did over step the mark when they tasered him BUT it seems Scott now believes he is always being wronged now

Who says its the nrl stopping him playing , it might be the eels are happy to let him go too

If hes axed form the NRL does that mean we can bank the freight we were going to be paying the Eels?
Finchy
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Ata Mariota

Post by Finchy »

Johno wrote: January 12, 2022, 12:13 pm
cat wrote: January 12, 2022, 1:25 am Curtis Scott’s legal team slams NRL for refusal of his contract: https://www.seriousaboutrl.com/curtis-s ... tp8unVg55w

If hes axed form the NRL does that mean we can bank the freight we were going to be paying the Eels?
What freight? He was sacked. We don't owe him a cent, and certainly won't be paying another club if they want to sign him.
Ata Mariota’s #1 fan. Bless his cotton socks.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Surprise problem facing NRL star Curtis Scott

Court orders made for NRL player Curtis Scott related to historical domestic violence charges have been complicated by the fact his current girlfriend and the alleged victim live on the same street.

The ex-partner at the centre of the 2018 and 2019 domestic violence allegations, Tay-Leigha Clark, lives just 80 metres from Mr Scott’s current girlfriend’s home, the court heard.

Read more: https://www.news.com.au/sport/nrl/troub ... 8ef65f5ed3

Sacked Canberra Raiders NRL player Curtis Scott will 'vigorously' fight historical domestic violence charges against his former girlfriend: https://canberraweekly.com.au/ex-raider ... e-charges/
Finchy
Jason Croker

Post by Finchy »

It would be quite an elaborate effort to intentionally find a new girlfriend and training field which just happens to be within eyesight of your ex-girlfriend's place that you're accused of stalking, which also happens to be hundreds of kilometres away from where you lived/worked at the time.
cat
Laurie Daley

Post by cat »

Is the Canberra night club case finished?
His original lawyer must feel ripped off, you wouldn't need any other clients the way Curtis is lining up court appearances since the taser episode
Vaccinated
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

Madness that the NRL would block his contract with Eels. Go ahead and boot him if he’s found guilty of something (noting the precedent you set) but not appropriate to jump the gun here. The man is yet to be convicted of anything.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

If he were registered, he’d probably be stood down under the no fault stand down policy. Seems reasonable to me not to register him if that’s the position they’d reached. He’s just been sacked by one club and there are two separate charges on foot, one involving alleged domestic violence.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

greeneyed wrote: January 12, 2022, 10:48 pm If he were registered, he’d probably be stood down under the no fault stand down policy. Seems reasonable to me not to register him if that’s the position they’d reached. He’s just been sacked by one club and there are two separate charges on foot, one involving alleged domestic violence.
So register him and then stand him down. If cleared of all charges he has a job. Not allowing him to be registered means Parra move on and sign someone else and even if Curtis is cleared of all charges he doesn’t have a NRL contract. This approach appears to preempt the legal outcome and impose a penalty regardless of what the outcome might be.
Finchy
Jason Croker

Post by Finchy »

I think you'll be by yourself with that take Billy. Alleged serious domestic violence against a female whilst still facing court on alleged assault charges for which he's already been sacked? It sounds like the Raiders also pre-empted the legal outcome by sacking him.

Didn't the NRL refuse to register Milford's contract at Souths for the same reason this year? Why register someone facing such charges only to immediately stand them down?

Imagine the police hiring a recruit or a school hiring a teacher knowing they have serious criminal charges pending, then immediately suspending them? They just wouldn't hire them in the first place. Yes it's making a decision prior to them actually being convicted of anything, but the optics of it would be terrible. It would also be kind of pointless taking on an employee that you'll be paying, without them actually being able to do any work for you.

That's why the NRl brought in the 'no fault' stand down policy. They're saying "we're not saying you're guilty, but the charges look bad so we won't let you play until your name has been cleared'. Like De Belin.
Last edited by Finchy on January 13, 2022, 11:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

I’m with the NRL on this one. No need to setup the potential for bad publicity if the player is ultimately found guilty.

He’s got a bad track record and some punishment might be good for Curtis long term. He seems to have an inability to accept responsibility and take honest ownership of his mistakes.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

Fair points Finchy and BJ - I’m just not sure the NRL gets it right or should attempt to be the morality police on some of these things. How can you have Matt Lodge and Russell Packer allowed to play, but Todd Carney banished. Now all 3 are total tools, but two were convicted of serious crimes and the other was ultimately banished because he wizzed in his own face (admittedly after falling foul of the law on previous occasions).

There seems to be a lot of inconsistency in the way the NRL and clubs handle these situations.

Starling has had assault and associated charges hanging over him for much of the last 2 years. Should he be stood down till the matters are resolved? I suspect even if found guilty he’d still have an NRL career just like Rapa who was recently convicted of the same crime Hors and CHN were found guilty of last year. Compare that to the scenario of Curtis being found innocent of all charges but being punished anyway. The losses of potential earnings from the NRL are likely far greater than any punishment he’d receive from the court even if found guilty. Is that a moral role the NRL should be placing itself in?
Riaan
John Ferguson

Post by Riaan »

Are for real about Todd Carney? Wizzing in his mouth was actually his second public toilet offence🤣🤣🤣🤣
The reason Packer and Scott are back in the NRL is because they served there time and bans and have kept out of trouble since.
LimeGreenMachine
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson

Post by LimeGreenMachine »

Mark Nicholls to the Dolphins.

Dolphins set to poach Souths fan favourite Mark Nicholls on multi-year deal: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... 403d5269ab
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

The King. Long may he reign.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Patrick Mago to turn out for Wigan Warriors: https://www.wigantoday.net/sport/rugby- ... nd-3534339
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

Billy Walker wrote: January 12, 2022, 10:59 pm
greeneyed wrote: January 12, 2022, 10:48 pm If he were registered, he’d probably be stood down under the no fault stand down policy. Seems reasonable to me not to register him if that’s the position they’d reached. He’s just been sacked by one club and there are two separate charges on foot, one involving alleged domestic violence.
So register him and then stand him down. If cleared of all charges he has a job. Not allowing him to be registered means Parra move on and sign someone else and even if Curtis is cleared of all charges he doesn’t have a NRL contract. This approach appears to preempt the legal outcome and impose a penalty regardless of what the outcome might be.
Am I missing something? Curtis Scott not having a job is hardly a bad thing?
well, I guess you could say that I'm buy curious.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

julian87 wrote: January 23, 2022, 6:05 am
Billy Walker wrote: January 12, 2022, 10:59 pm
Am I missing something? Curtis Scott not having a job is hardly a bad thing?
I’m indifferent. He’s a bloke that seems to have a bit going on, and who seemingly hasn’t made great life decisions to date. He signed for the raiders, didn’t get near his potential and got himself sacked. End of story for me. I don’t wish him ill fortune for the remainder of his days, but equally if has wronged people I hope he is brought to justice. As I say I’m indifferent to him. I am a little uncomfortable with the NRL preempting outcomes and being the moral police on this one but I also think others have made some good points as to why the NRL should avoid him. It will be what it will be but I don’t wish him unemployment and wreck and ruin for the remainder of his days. I hope a post NRL life might be what he needs.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Curtis Scott’s Eels hopes receive another blow as August court date revealed: https://www.zerotackle.com/curtis-scott ... ed-113291/
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Former Raider Jonathon Reuben signs development deal with Dragons

The Dragons have also confirmed the signing of Norths Devils winger Jonathon Reuben on a development player deal.

Reuben, previously contracted to the Canberra Raiders and Sydney Roosters, has scored 107 tries in 106 appearances throughout his seven-year Queensland Cup career.

Read more: https://www.dragons.com.au/news/2022/01 ... to-top-30/
-GD-
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga, Terry Campese, Troy Thompson

Post by -GD- »

Would have played first grade for us if he didn’t go to the Roosters.
dubby
Don Furner

Post by dubby »

Former SG Ball player Henry Alesi in trouble:

NRL hopeful cops monster ban for Manly-South Sydney SG Ball brawl

Two Manly young guns and another promising rugby league player have been named and punished for their involvement in an ugly crowd brawl at a junior representative game last weekend.

Former Canberra Raiders junior rep Henry Alesi will be the hardest hit, facing a full season out of the game after being issued with a breach notice by the NSW Rugby League on Tuesday. It is alleged Alesi instigated the fight after claims he headbutted Manly Jersey Flegg player Siua Fotu who was a spectator at the game.

Read more: https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport ... 29268f0701

John Hopoate has been issued a breach notice by NSW Rugby League for unauthorised entry to the field of play after a brawl erupted during an SG Ball trial on Saturday. After an investigation, former player Henry Alesi was named by the NSWRL as the ‘aggressor’ in a fight that erupted with a fellow spectator during the clash between South Sydney and Manly at Erskineville Oval: https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/nswrl- ... 59r74.html

MrPosh
Clinton Schifcofske
Favourite Player: Whitehead

Post by MrPosh »

Joey Leilua has signed with Featherstone.

Surprised he's had to drop down that low and he'll find the second tier over here quite a culture shock, I think.

I'd also be worried that he'll find it a bit too easy and the last thing he needs is a lack of something to motivate him.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

Can you win Man Of Steel playing English 3rd grade ?
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
cat
Laurie Daley

Post by cat »

MrPosh wrote: January 27, 2022, 7:28 am Joey Leilua has signed with Featherstone.

Surprised he's had to drop down that low and he'll find the second tier over here quite a culture shock, I think.

I'd also be worried that he'll find it a bit too easy and the last thing he needs is a lack of something to motivate him.
I'm curious how much you would get paid to play for a team in the 2nd tier?
Would it be worth it considering the relocation costs, cost of living etc.
Would he need another job? If so wouldn't he have been better staying here and playing for mounties and working?
Vaccinated
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Joey Leilua fired up at Featherstone as ‘bad mouthing’ ended Super League hopes

JOEY Leilua is eager to prove the bad mouthers wrong and help Featherstone to Super League after claiming top flight clubs were talked out of a move. Despite being in the Championship, his deal is full-time, although if life at home proves too chaotic, he is willing to get in the ring or work in the community.

“I didn’t have a club, at all. I was just going to do boxing but then Featherstone approached me and it was sold it to me. I didn’t even know they were a second tier team at the time but the way they spoke was very professional and they convinced me to come over.

Read more: https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/17447338 ... therstone/

Joey Leilua reveals what convinced him to sign for Featherstone Rovers over Championship rivals Leigh Centurions: https://www.examinerlive.co.uk/sport/ru ... h-22883445

Featherstone Rovers tease Josh Dugan link: https://www.loverugbyleague.com/post/fe ... ugan-link/
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

Geez Dugan and BJ really struck gold with their player agent.

He’s right out of the George Costanza school of management.