Ex Raiders... where are they now?

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

bonehead
Laurie Daley

Re: Ex Raiders... where are they now?

Post by bonehead »

nacho wrote:Does anyone know what was the story with Ken Nagas? seemed like a career that was awesome, then his ankle went, then he was "coming back this year" every pre-season for what felt like 3 years?

...does anyone know the story in any detail?
His knee gave out to the point he had silicon injected into the knee to replace the cartledge, obviously didn't work well enough to get back to full fitness. Now the U20's trainer and great to see him still at the club.
Edrick The Entertainer
love_the_green
Alan Tongue

Post by love_the_green »

Not sure if anyone has mentioned this yet, but Gary Coyne, the Raiders second rower in the 89, and 90 grand finals, he lives up in Queensland, and ownes a few McDonalds stores. I'll never forget the day he scored 4 tried against Manly late in the 89 or 90 season. He was a great forward, and very under rated in my opinion.
newy_raider
Tom Learoyd-Lahrs
Favourite Player: Alan Tounge

Post by newy_raider »

BSB Raiderman wrote:
nacho wrote:Does anyone know what was the story with Ken Nagas? seemed like a career that was awesome, then his ankle went, then he was "coming back this year" every pre-season for what felt like 3 years?

His knee gave out to the point he had silicon injected into the knee to replace the cartledge, obviously didn't work well enough to get back to full fitness. Now the U20's trainer and great to see him still at the club.
he also played in the raiders cup for the queanbyean roos a few years back
tragic
Brett Mullins

Post by tragic »

Mal Meninga's Strathfield Car Sound store up here in Qld has now shut down. The Strathfield Group are in some dire times with the economic crisis, here's hoping his fruit business continues to flourish.

The only football related thing I know of (which is NOT Raiders related sorry) is that Gene Miles runs a dry-cleaning business up here. Kind of gay :lol:
Raiders member no# 2278.
Millsy
Gary Belcher

Post by Millsy »

love_the_green wrote:Not sure if anyone has mentioned this yet, but Gary Coyne, the Raiders second rower in the 89, and 90 grand finals, he lives up in Queensland, and ownes a few McDonalds stores. I'll never forget the day he scored 4 tried against Manly late in the 89 or 90 season. He was a great forward, and very under rated in my opinion.
Yeah i have mentioned him on here, he's my 2nd Cousin, he owns a number of McDonalds Franchises, he lives in Gympie in Qld, yeah he was really under rates alright, the Qld Origin selectors always liked him in the Origin Team.

He played 2 Tests for Australia.

He was in the RLW in July or August 2007, it was the Legends Q and A page, had a good story about him.
tragic
Brett Mullins

Post by tragic »

greeneyed wrote:Playing this year for the Redcliffe Dolphins in Queensland Cup:

Alwyn Simpson
Kris Kahler via the Titans
Chris Borgese via Salford

http://www.qrl.com.au
I work with Alwyn Simpson's father. He's a top bloke, and proud as punch of his son Alwyn. I think the poor bugger copped a fair bit of flak for his game in the finals against melbourne a couple of years ago.
Alwyn quit footy last year to be with family and work in landscaping and get himself settled in other areas of life outside NRL... really glad to hear he's back working at it. From a personal point of view, it would've been great to see someone I "know" get a good break with the Raiders, but either way, I wish him all the best with wherever his career takes him.
Raiders member no# 2278.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

jedski
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: The Veloci-Rapana

Post by jedski »

Laurie Daley (used to play 5/8 for the Raiders in the 90's) is a commentator at Fox Sports
* INSERT SIGNATURE HERE *
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

jed wrote:Laurie Daley (used to play 5/8 for the Raiders in the 90's) is a commentator at Fox Sports
I think we've had that one before Jed.

Saw a story about Steve Lidbury. Seems to now be in Sydney and involved in union.
Off
Laurie Daley

Post by Off »

Question wrote:Laurie daley works on the footy show.
tell me about steve (the beast) lidbury GE.
This place is woke.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Raidersrawesome
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Captain Croker

Post by Raidersrawesome »

greenraider7 wrote:
love_the_green wrote:Not sure if anyone has mentioned this yet, but Gary Coyne, the Raiders second rower in the 89, and 90 grand finals, he lives up in Queensland, and ownes a few McDonalds stores. I'll never forget the day he scored 4 tried against Manly late in the 89 or 90 season. He was a great forward, and very under rated in my opinion.
Yeah i have mentioned him on here, he's my 2nd Cousin, he owns a number of McDonalds Franchises, he lives in Gympie in Qld, yeah he was really under rates alright, the Qld Origin selectors always liked him in the Origin Team.

He played 2 Tests for Australia.

He was in the RLW in July or August 2007, it was the Legends Q and A page, had a good story about him.
I never under rated Coyne , he was a very important player , was awesome watching him score those 4 tries, should of represented Australia a few more times
jedski
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: The Veloci-Rapana

Post by jedski »

greeneyed wrote:
jed wrote:Laurie Daley (used to play 5/8 for the Raiders in the 90's) is a commentator at Fox Sports
I think we've had that one before Jed.
Nah, I checked before I posted it (put that in your pipe and smoke it, question)
* INSERT SIGNATURE HERE *
Off
Laurie Daley

Post by Off »

Hung on a technicallity...
This place is woke.
Woodgers
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Nick Cotric

Post by Woodgers »

I went to a work meeting about 6 months back and Kenny was there. It was regarding diversion of youths from the juvenile justice system. Kenny works for the AFP as an Indigenous Youth Worker. Basically from what I understand, if an Indigenous youth comes into contact with the law and charges possibly laid, Kenny works with the individual to formulate a plan of actions that the youth must do in order to avoid detention etc. It is a diversion program run by the Commonwealth to avoid adolescents being incarcerated. He also works with the families too if they are troubled and issues surround them as well. It sounds like a pretty busy and important role too, he can be called to the police station at random times to perform his duties. Even though it was a small meeting, I didn't have a one on one with him unfortunately! Dang.
We continue to **** about with blokes that are part of some fraternity. It's infuriating.
Nuku
Gerry De La Cruz

Post by Nuku »

My mate used to sit next to him at the AFP, that would have been sweet even if I was doing a crap job.

Chicka was a sparkie, my old man was on a job with him ages ago... Not sure what he is doing now tho..
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Where are they now: Bronx and the Bolt....

Post by dubby »

Royston Lightning Bolt that is!

Bronx played in Group 10 for Bathurst last week, and Royston Lightning is playing for Mackay Cutters in the QCup!

Remember when Lightning was the NBT? Played in a backline that had Mullins, Wiki, Daley, Stuart??

Source: RLW.
The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
Canberra Milk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Leipana

Post by Canberra Milk »

Buc Nasty wrote: I started watching rugby league in 1991 as a wide-eyed 7 year old enamored with Big Mal.

However my clearest, most earliest and resonating memory of the Raiders is Coyne scoring 4 tries against Manly in that semi-final.

I only ever saw the game once, but I still remember him scoring one off a quick-tap when Manly had their backs to him as they were either expecting the Raiders to take a kick at goal, or were simply too dejected to man up in time defensively.

Perhaps someone with a clearer memory of the match can remember what I'm talking about?

Oh and anyone who doesn't know Gary Coyne isn't deserving of the right to even access the GH.
This'd be the one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=egtirtVnzlI (Btw, heaps more awesome random Raiders videos from the early 90s from that same guy)

I was actually at that game, as well as the 1989 Grand Final (how many people here can say that :thumbsup )

And I reckon I could recognise Gary Coyne on the street - as long as he was wearing the tape around his head :lol:
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

David Boyle, coaching at Cobargo Eels.

Jason Croker will also be helping him with an upcoming coaching clinic.

http://www.naroomanewsonline.com.au/new ... 47526.aspx
Whitty
David Shillington

Post by Whitty »

Anyone remember a reserve grader from a while back named Grant Costello?? He's my boss at work, gets a laugh every time i show him my Raiders tatt, thinks i'm an idiot :lol: Can't seem to find too much info on his playing feats, and because he is a superintendent he doesn't have too much time to sit around shooting the breeze and talking about the good old days.
wendus
Alan Tongue
Favourite Player: Sia Soliola

Post by wendus »

Jason Croker and Simon Woolford are coaching the Gungahlin Bulls this year in the Canberra Raiders Cup
Mark Bell is coaching the Yass Magpies
Paul Martin is tied up in a private investigation company
All over it like coconut on a lamington
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

David Westley - Central/Cape QRL development officer

http://www.torresnews.com.au/index.php? ... tid=3:news
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Castleford Tigers centre James Evans forced to quit

Castleford Tigers centre James Evans has retired after failing to recover from a groin injury.

Evans made 158 competitive appearances in British rugby league.

The 32-year-old Australian former Canberra Raiders man had spells with Huddersfield, Wakefield and Bradford before joining the Tigers.

"His injury has made it difficult for him to continue playing rugby league to the high standards he has set himself," said Cas head coach Terry Matterson.

"We're massively disappointed. He will be sorely missed."

Evans joined Huddersfield in 2004 and, after a loan spell with Wakefield, moved on to Bradford in 2006.

He spent two season with the Bulls before being released and joined the Tigers at the end of the 2008 season.

"I'm going home (to Australia) where I'll relax for the first few weeks. I've no definite plans as to what I'm going to do so I'll see what opportunities come up," said Evans.

"I'd like to thank Terry and all of the coaching staff who have worked with me. The coaching and the way the club has looked after me has been first class.

"I'll definitely be keeping a close eye on the club's fortunes in the future. I've really enjoyed my time at the Tigers."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/rugby_l ... 166639.stm

I always liked Jimmy. This is not a put down, because I thought him to be a good player, but I always loved that story about how he got injured playing with his kitten.
yeh raiders
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Jack Wighton

Post by yeh raiders »

Was James Evans the dude that said he'd lost his passion for the game, then signed overseas ?
Raidersrawesome
Mal Meninga

32 , time does fly.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

^ That was my first thought too. :shock:
thickos
Laurie Daley

Post by thickos »

Jimmy started late, debuted at 25 I think.
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

damn goal post, he looked like he couldve been anything :(
Edrick The Entertainer
Yap
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Dave Leave Nothing In The Tank Shillington

Post by Yap »

Nigel Gaffey is a bread vendor on the Southern Gold Coast (my missus is bakery manager at Woolworths, and she chats to him about the footy and his fond memories of playing in the freezing cold)
Pistol
David Shillington

Post by Pistol »

His time at the Raiders was pretty short, but Phil Blake recently became the defensive coach of the Wallabies, having previously coached the Manly Marlins Rugby team. Probably not likely to be a defensive coach for much longer given the Wallabies performance of last weekend.

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-union/union ... 17uem.html
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

I must admit, the first player that comes to mind when the word "defence" is spoken surely has to be Phil Blake. :|

Ahh, those were the days...1992...Phil Blake and Scott Gale, our reserve grade halves pairing. Amazing. Having said that, I think Daley only played about half a dozen games that year. Phil Blake's not a bad player to drag out of reggies into your FG team.
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

Phil Blake was a gun. I was stoked we had him, would have loved to kept him for longer.

Back in the 80s there was no better game breaker. I think Blake still holds the highest tries in a season for Manly and I think since Dave Brown in the 30s.

Then he went to Souths, seen Mario Fenech in a towel and started club hopping.

Phil Blake is the greatest player to have never played for Australia. The fact he played only 1 SOO game still boggles my mind.
The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
Raidersrawesome
Mal Meninga

Agree Blake was a great player , moreso his attack , you couldnt predict what he was going to do.

As for his defence , that maybe questionable.
-GD-
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga, Terry Campese, Troy Thompson

Post by -GD- »

Mark McLinden doing animalates at the Tuggeranong Hyperdome today. An excercise program for children. Looked like he was having a blast

Here is the website

http://www.animalates.com/
The Stig
David Shillington

Post by The Stig »

Remember Trevor Schodel ?,Ricky Stuarts understudy, he's coaching Kiama Knights in group 7 CRL. Ian Hindmarsh is now a dairy farmer near cowra.