All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

Billy Walker
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Re: Ex Raiders... where are they now?

Post by Billy Walker »

-TW- wrote: March 13, 2024, 9:58 pm Footy fights are some Boxcar Bob ****

It's all fun and games until they fight a proper boxer then they get the **** beaten out of them

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk
Generally agree but I am curious to see if Curtis can remain committed to this. He has some skills and a very good build for boxing. I wouldn’t be shocked if his boxing career fizzled out with a loss to some washed up mug but I also think he has a lot of potential.
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

Leilua at 120kg was never a hope no matter how good he thought he was

Sent from my SM-S911B using Tapatalk

Edrick The Entertainer
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

I feel significantly dumber for reading some of those articles.

Who would want to be an NRL coach? It would be like being a western Sydney public school year 9 maths teacher. Dead set morons the pair of them.

D grade boxing. **** me.

Sent from my CPH2021 using Tapatalk

dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

Joey just embarrassed himself.
The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Immortal Mal Meninga parts ways with Gold Coast Titans

Immortal Mal Meninga has formally severed ties with the Gold Coast Titans following a five-year relationship. Meninga quietly finished up in his role as the club’s high performance consultant over the summer after being frozen out of the decision to sack Justin Holbrook as head coach and appoint Des Hasler. The Titans did not publicly announce Meninga’s departure, but CEO Steve Mitchell confirmed his contract was not renewed.

“That has run its course,” he said.

Read more: https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport ... 27e41deb0e
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

Billy Walker wrote: March 13, 2024, 8:57 pm
Botman wrote: March 13, 2024, 8:42 pm Barry Hall is 47 :lol: Jesus.

If he's serious about it, he probably needs to forget the AFL/NRL route and just knuckle down and start working his way through the ranks. 26 is young enough that if he's good enough he can make a career out of boxing. There is always tomato cans in that sport who make a living off getting pounded that he can work his way through and collect some wins as he gets experience
Barry Michael and every other commentator were unanimous in the view that BJ needs to give the gloves away. Not fitness, commitment or style. Just a big wild swinger.
This was a bout between a man of some boxing ability versus a night club bouncer. The boxer wins. I know the promoters trade on names made in other sports, but it does the sport of boxing no good. As for calling out AFL has beens :nooo

Maybe Scott should look to take on an older boxer like Troy Harding who can hit and has some ring craft to determine if boxing is for him. He is a long way from Australian champ level but at least he would be in against a boxer. Then he could look to some bouts in Qld. That's where most of the best cruiser weight fighters are based.

https://anbf.org.au/ratings/nationalratings/
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

greeneyed wrote: March 14, 2024, 6:12 pm Immortal Mal Meninga parts ways with Gold Coast Titans

Immortal Mal Meninga has formally severed ties with the Gold Coast Titans following a five-year relationship. Meninga quietly finished up in his role as the club’s high performance consultant over the summer after being frozen out of the decision to sack Justin Holbrook as head coach and appoint Des Hasler. The Titans did not publicly announce Meninga’s departure, but CEO Steve Mitchell confirmed his contract was not renewed.

“That has run its course,” he said.

Read more: https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport ... 27e41deb0e
Mal is now 63 and is the Australian Coach. I wonder what's next for him. To be away from the Titans will mean fewer grey hairs.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Raiders grand final hero of '89 running for mayor of Mackay

Canberra Raiders great Steve Jackson has been a grand final hero, a chicken shop owner, and a real estate agent, but now he has his sights set on being the new mayor of Mackay.

"I'm just learning on my feet and I get quite anxious whether I say the right or wrong things, but at the end of the day all my friends say to me - just be you," Jackson said. "That's why people like me ... it's because what they see is what they get, and in the political game there isn't much transparency."

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14239
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

greeneyed wrote: March 16, 2024, 5:42 am Raiders grand final hero of '89 running for mayor of Mackay

Canberra Raiders great Steve Jackson has been a grand final hero, a chicken shop owner, and a real estate agent, but now he has his sights set on being the new mayor of Mackay.

"I'm just learning on my feet and I get quite anxious whether I say the right or wrong things, but at the end of the day all my friends say to me - just be you," Jackson said. "That's why people like me ... it's because what they see is what they get, and in the political game there isn't much transparency."

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14239
He’s slightly ahead on the unofficial preliminary count but it’s a close contest with Greg Williamson.
IBG
Gary Belcher
Favourite Player: Jordan Rapana

Post by IBG »

Brad Schneider named halfback for the Panthers with Cleary out for a while.

Be really interesting to see how he goes in a dominant team. I hope he does well.
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

IBG wrote: March 26, 2024, 5:00 pm Brad Schneider named halfback for the Panthers with Cleary out for a while.

Be really interesting to see how he goes in a dominant team. I hope he does well.
I hope he does well too.
well, I guess you could say that I'm buy curious.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

Yeah I’m going to be really keen to watch that
Interested in seeing if his passing and processing has sped up. I’m rooting for him, he seems like a really good bloke and that’s a good spot for him to showcase himself
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

Still reckon he'd be a great lock.

Sent from my CPH2021 using Tapatalk

President Clinton
Dean Lance
Favourite Player: Clinton Schifcofske

Post by President Clinton »

Looking for to seeing him play. Could be a good 14 somewhere.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

IBG wrote: March 26, 2024, 5:00 pm Brad Schneider named halfback for the Panthers with Cleary out for a while.

He was very very good. All those people questioning if he was a half :roflmao
Finchy
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Ata Mariota

Post by Finchy »

Billy Walker wrote: March 28, 2024, 8:41 pm

He was very very good. All those people questioning if he was a half :roflmao
Yeah, nah. He did his job. Average isn’t the same as very very good. But you wouldn’t know the difference as you think Levi is very very good
Ata Mariota’s #1 fan. Bless his cotton socks.
Hong Kong Raider
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by Hong Kong Raider »

Schneider was fine. Calm, made his kicks and tackles and got the right side going with a few tries. Nothing special but he didn't need to be as Edwards, Yeo and Luai were outstanding.

Penrith were excellent and the scoreline looked close but Roosters were well beaten. It was a good game. I like watching wingers that back themselves like Turuva.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

He did what was asked of him. His passing and processing was faster so that's a good sign, but for the most part he was what he was here... still needing an early pass. The talent around him is very good and he kicked well and defended well which is really all the panthers need and want in a back up half.
They've got enough talent and a system good enough to let Schnieder do what he did tonight and let Cleary rest through the bye and come back 100%.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

Brad Schneider earns rave reviews on his Penrith debut…. Well from good judges anyway :roflmao :roflmao :roflmao

Former Hull KR man Brad Schneider earns rave reviews after Penrith Panthers debut: https://www.loverugbyleague.com/post/fo ... hers-debut
Finchy
Ruben Wiki

Post by Finchy »

Oof, that Aaron Bower (?) really knows his stuff, what a good judge. I'm sure most people have heard of him :? :nooo
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

You should hear what he says about you.
Rick
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: Daley

Post by Rick »

Was good to see a coach back a young half and not try and shield them from the game….

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

Well known NRL reporting site Fox sports describes Schneider’s performance as excellent. And I only said very very good….

Brad Schneider’s Penrith Panthers debut: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... 47f351193b
Finchy
Ruben Wiki

Post by Finchy »

Oof, that Tom Sargeant (?) really knows his stuff, what a good judge. I'm sure most people have heard of him :? :nooo

Fox Sports is known for their inaccurate lazy click bait reporting, as has been pointed out a fair bit lately on this very forum about the pathetic quality of reporting and analysis on the game.

Hardly the smoking gun you were after Billy. I actually watched the game. Schneider did his job. Nothing spectacular. Nothing for the highlight reel. I’m happy for him, but he wasn’t “very very good”. Cleary was “very very good” or “excellent” last week. There’s a difference.

But again, based on the players you rate, I understand why you can’t accurately rate a player’s performer or skill.
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

Schneider ‘excellent’ according to rugby league media. But if Nathan Cleary played the identical game they’d say he was quieter than usual and didn’t stamp his authority on the game.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

NRL.com with the headline Schneider looking slick…. I sense a theme developing here :roflmao

Schneider looking slick: https://www.nrl.com/news/2024/03/29/sch ... ing-slick/
Finchy
Ruben Wiki

Post by Finchy »

That rugby league reporters are as lazy and delusional as you? I do sense that theme.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

Yes Finchy - clearly you are correct and the professionals that get paid from people buying their opinions and views are wrong. I admire your delusion and resilience son :roflmao :roflmao :roflmao :roflmao :roflmao
Finchy
Ruben Wiki

Post by Finchy »

Glad you've conceded that. I'll continue to form my views on players performances by actually watching the game, you can continue to form your views on players performances based on Neville-nobodies telling you they were "excellent" in a clickbait Fox Sports article.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

I watched the game and said he was very very good. If I was reflecting the opinions of the experts I’d be using words like “slick” and “excellent”. It’s actually only you that has used the word “average” to describe his game last night. But keep digging in on this, I’m enjoying your perspective. :roflmao
Finchy
Ruben Wiki

Post by Finchy »

Well for some context, Supercoach scores players based on actual in-game statistical output such as: tries, try assists, line breaks, line break assists, tackle breaks, hit ups, offloads, goals, tackles. You lose points for negative plays like errors, penalties, missed goals, missed tackles, etc. Not an infallible assessment of a player's performance, but a pretty good indication. Not many people scoring 100+ points having a stinker, not many people scoring 50 odd points having a blinder. Less than that is a fairly poor performance, at least statistically speaking.

Nathan Cleary last week had what myself and most other people would call a "very very good" or "excellent" game. He scored 140+points in Supercoach based on his statistical output. Brad Schneider scored 60 points in Supercoach from last night's game.

I'd posit that whilst Fox Sports pundits and **** like yourself are waxing lyrical about both performances, only one was actually "excellent", the other average. But hey, keep listening to whatever the Fox Sports writers tell you Billy. Eyesight test and actual statistics be damned!
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

Finchy wrote: March 29, 2024, 9:45 am Well for some context, Supercoach scores players based on actual in-game statistical output such as: tries, try assists, line breaks, line break assists, tackle breaks, hit ups, offloads, goals, tackles. You lose points for negative plays like errors, penalties, missed goals, missed tackles, etc. Not an infallible assessment of a player's performance, but a pretty good indication. Not many people scoring 100+ points having a stinker, not many people scoring 50 odd points having a blinder. Less than that is a fairly poor performance, at least statistically speaking.

Nathan Cleary last week had what myself and most other people would call a "very very good" or "excellent" game. He scored 140+points in Supercoach based on his statistical output. Brad Schneider scored 60 points in Supercoach from last night's game.

I'd posit that whilst Fox Sports pundits and **** like yourself are waxing lyrical about both performances, only one was actually "excellent", the other average. But hey, keep listening to whatever the Fox Sports writers tell you Billy. Eyesight test and actual statistics be damned!
Oooof the SuperCoach defence…. Oh dear - scenes here at the GreenHouse. Go back to the dawn of time and all the GH experts will tell you SC points are a terrible indicator of player performance. Here is a 2016 quote from GH regular Botman (although possibly known as Pigman at the time before I tricked him into changing his name) slamming the SC in his defence of Croker’s inability to tackle….
Botman wrote: March 22, 2016, 1:43 pm 100% simo
this is where the fantasy football/supercoach fans really distinguish themselves.

Mis-tackle counts and therefore tackle bust stats are virtually worthless without context. Classic example... Croker leads the kick chase, he makes contact with Greg Inglis, GI palms him off sideways and gets tackled 2 metres to the left of the initial contact.

That's a mis-tackle for Croker and tackle bust for Inglis. But Croker didnt make a negative play, especially if he's heard Inglis into other defenders. Inglis hasnt made a positive play either, and yet the stats say one is good and the other is bad.

Hell even tackle stats are mostly misleading, unless you know if they were dominant or not. Making 50 tackles and being 3rd man in on 30 of them like a Nathan Hindmarsh, isnt better than making 30 tackles, most of which are first contact and putting blokes on their arses like a Ruben Wiki
Finchy
Ruben Wiki

Post by Finchy »

You appear to have missed the part where I said "Not an infallible assessment of a player's performance, but a pretty good indication. Not many people scoring 100+ points having a stinker, not many people scoring 50 odd points having a blinder. Less than that is a fairly poor performance, at least statistically speaking."

Put your glasses on old man!
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

Clutching at straws! It’s almost uncomfortable to see you like this Finchy. It’s okay - you can say “on reflection I agree with everyone else and Brad Schneider did in fact have a very good game last night”. You will be free of the weight of your foolish poorly considered position and we can all move on and laugh at you for something else. Will Finchy be brave and admit he is wrong or triple down on stupidity? I know where my money is on this one :roflmao :roflmao
Finchy
Ruben Wiki

Post by Finchy »

Well hopefully you're money is on me, because I'm up 3-0 this week Billy, it's sad to see. The argument isn't was Schneider "good", it is whether he was "very very good" and "excellent". The fact you rate the likes of Levi, Valemei, Elliott, Hopoate, etc, shows what a poor judge of a player and performance you are. No-one on this forum takes you seriously and half the place has you blocked, but sure Billy, I'm the crazy one here.