All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Re: Ex Raiders... where are they now?

Post by Botman »

Yeah ive got nothing against Levi as a person
All reports are he's a lovely bloke, good family man and works hard to be the best player can be on and off the park... certainly not someone to be compared to Curtis Scott
Last edited by Botman on February 6, 2024, 2:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Sid
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Shannon Boyd

Post by Sid »

2 former Raiders beating the living daylights out of each other.. the real winner here is nsw police.

Would have won Boogs - 2016, 2017, 2018

1 part green, 1 part machine
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Post by Billy Walker »

I wouldn’t be surprised if Scott gets the lollies. If BJ gets hold of him early he’s in strife but if it goes beyond the first I’ll back Scott. I’m assuming it will be 3 x 2 minute rounds which is pretty lame.
Finchy
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Ata Mariota

Post by Finchy »

Yeah Levi is a trash signing for on-field output. I have no animosity towards him personally, and if he had to fight Scott I’d cheer him on very loudly
Ata Mariota’s #1 fan. Bless his cotton socks.
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

Sid wrote:2 former Raiders beating the living daylights out of each other.. the real winner here is nsw police.
Gold Sid Gold!!!!!
President Clinton
Dean Lance
Favourite Player: Clinton Schifcofske

Post by President Clinton »

Old School Green wrote: February 6, 2024, 12:58 pm
President Clinton wrote: February 6, 2024, 10:47 am Geez is there a more disliked former than Curtis Scott?

I’m leaving Brett Finch out of this intentionally and for good reason. Before the really awful behaviour, I don’t think he was as disliked as Scott.
*Waits for BJ to pull out and Danny Levi to step in and fight Scott….the GH would have a real conundrum then
No conundrum at all. Levi is an ordinary football player, but I haven’t seen anyone in the forum disliking him as a person.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Jarrett Subloo named at No. 6 for Souths in their trial versus Manly this weekend: https://www.rabbitohs.com.au/news/rabbi ... -seaeagles
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Steven Numambo and Manase Kaho selected for Redcliffe Dolphins trial against Capras: https://www.dolphinsnrl.com.au/news/202 ... -v-capras/

Jeremiah Simbiken in there too.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

Liam Knight reportedly forming close bonds with the Ch9 media.

Channel 9 sports presenter Danika Mason is reportedly dating Bulldogs NRL player Liam Knight: https://www.news.com.au/sport/nrl/repor ... d80499a830
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

Danika loves that distinct smell of Aeroguard when she kisses him after a few drinks.
President Clinton
Dean Lance

That’s actually quite surprising.

Wouldn’t expect her to go for EDIT.
Bay53
Steve Walters

Post by Bay53 »

Former Raider and Queensland Senator Glenn Lazarus is selling his house in Brisbane they have lived in since moving to the Broncos. Moving back to the ACT region.

‘An oasis’: Rugby league legend Glenn Lazarus lists his Brisbane house for sale: https://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/proper ... 5f38l.html

Grand family entertainer in ultra-exclusive locale: https://www.domain.com.au/9-tiara-close ... 2019031688
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

North Sydney Bears' NRL return campaign finds ally in former Raider Sean Rutgerson

The North Sydney Bears faithful buoyed by recent talk about their team's possible return to the NRL have an ally in a former Canberra Raiders forward Sean Rutgerson. He played 12 games for the Bears between 1998-1999, before the club fell out of the NRL and he joined Canberra. He is now the head coach of the USA rugby league team in between coaching the Jacksonville Axemen in Florida.

"If they got it on the Central Coast I think that'd be a good spot.

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14239
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Is former NRL star Tevita Pangai Jnr poised to make a Canberra comeback in the ring?

On the same night Joey Leilua stepped into the ring in Canberra, Tevita Pangai Jnr was in the house at the Canberra Southern Cross Club with the former NRL star a chance to fight on an Adrenalyn show in the capital later this year. The prospect of a fight in Canberra was being teased last night by Adrenalyn promoter Shane Tipa.

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14280
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

Sid wrote:2 former Raiders beating the living daylights out of each other.. the real winner here is nsw police.
Haha!

Sent from my CPH2021 using Tapatalk

Finchy
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Ata Mariota

Post by Finchy »

George Williams getting absolutely destroyed by Tariq Sims:

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/super- ... 4ca7893cf9

The video is in this article. Someone more tech-savvy than me may be able to post a better direct video clip
Ata Mariota’s #1 fan. Bless his cotton socks.
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

That was an epic hit! Reminded me of when Sia smashed Luke Brooks at Leichhardt

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk

The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
LimeGreenMachine
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Ethan Strange

Post by LimeGreenMachine »

Joey Leilua discusses fierce Gal battles, Ricky sprays ahead of boxing bout with Curtis Scott

Former NRL star Joey Leilua has revealed in a tell-all interview of his desire to still one day get in the ring with “grub” Paul Gallen. Leilua’s longest stint at a club was with the Raiders between 2015-2019, with his last game for Canberra was the heartbreaking grand final loss to the Roosters. While he admits he “fell apart” with Stuart by the end of his five-year tenure in the nation’s capital, Leilua loved playing for ‘Sticky’.

“He’s a good guy we just fell apart at the end. Part of the reason was me but at the same time, Sticky’s a tough person – if he’s off you, he’s off you,” Leilua said

Read more: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... zVdWbow_pU
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Josh James joins Redcliffe Dolphins

Even before Joshua James walked through the doors at Redcliffe Dolphins HQ, he knew that his Queensland Cup coach Ben Te’o was going to have a big influence on him for season 2024. The pair first met in 2020 by coincidence.

James was contracted to the Brisbane Broncos at the time but was not part of the famous “bubble” that occurred in the first year of the Covid-19 pandemic.

Redcliffe Dolphins 2024 gains and losses

Gains
Elijah Anderson (Canberra Raiders), Max Bailey (Sunshine Coast Falcons), Logan Bayliss-Brow (Brisbane Broncos), Zane Camroux (Wests Magpies), Cooper Hewett (Wynnum Manly Seagulls), Josh James (Canberra Raiders), Steven Numambo (Canberra Raiders), Jaron Purcell (Tweed Seagulls), Latrell Siegwalt (Wagga Wagga), Treymain Spry (Gold Coast Titans), Brent Woolf (Tweed Seagulls)

Losses
Joshua Beehag (retired), Cameron Cullen (retired from Cup/Wests Panthers), Jeremy Hawkins (retired), Cody Hunter (Sunshine Coast Falcons), Ben King (retired), Dunamis Lui (retired), Brayden McGrady (Tweed Seagulls)

Read more: https://www.qrl.com.au/news/2024/02/27/ ... -for-2024/
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

Great little player. You put that ability and creativity in a body like Schneiders and he's already playing first grade.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Raiders young gun Kaden Williams joins Sunshine Coast Falcons

After spending time in the Canberra Raiders junior system, Kaden Williams has decided to head north. The second-rower, who has spent several years in the Raiders pathways system, is coming off a solid season in the Jersey Flegg Cup. However, he has decided to leave the club in the hope of new opportunities with the Sunshine Coast Falcons in the Queensland Cup competition.

Read more: https://www.zerotackle.com/qld-cup-raid ... am-206491/

Sunshine Coast Falcons gains and losses

Gains
Jed Bignell (Wynnum Manly Seagulls), Flynn Camilleri (Mackay Cutters), Caius Faatili (Wynnum Manly Seagulls), Liam Harris (Wests Magpies), Cody Hunter (Redcliffe Dolphins), Cruz Lasike (Burleigh Bears), Mathew Lyons (Wagga Wagga), Nofoasa Malutoa (Western Clydesdales), Poasi Manu (Melbourne Storm), Harrison McIndoe (Redcliffe Dolphins), Morgan McWhirter (North Sydney Bears), Riley Moore (Western Clydesdales), Kai Parker (Newtown Jets), Kyle Paterson (return to game), Thallon Peters (Central Queensland Capras), Kaden Williams (Canberra Raiders)

Losses
Max Bailey (Redcliffe Dolphins), Lucas Bell (Central Queensland Capras), Jack Brock (long-term injury), Daniel Dole (retired), Campbell Duffy (Norths Devils), Jack Gibbons (Cronulla Sharks pre-season), Luke Jurd (Western Clydesdales), Rohan Messer (local A-grade), Tayler McCann (local A-grade), Wyatt Reynolds (Norths Devils), Jai Smoothy (break from game), Lazarus Vaalepu (Melbourne Storm), Blake Woodford (Newcastle Knights), Jack Wright (Norths Devils)

Read more: https://www.qrl.com.au/news/2024/02/21/ ... -for-2024/
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

A few Raiders on other Queensland Cup lists…

Wynnum Manly Seagulls 2024 gains and losses

Gains
Connor Broadhurst (Norths Devils), Zac Chong-Nee (Ipswich Jets), JJ Clarkson (Canberra Raiders), Bryce Donovan (Norths Devils), Kurt Falls (Penrith Panthers), Justin Frain (Northern Pride), Zac Hetherington (Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs), Jonathon Reuben (Norths Devils), Garrett Smith (Mackay Cutters), Cruise Ten (Souths Logan Magpies), Tony Tumusa (Norths Devils)

Losses
Blake Anders (Brisbane Tigers), Caius Faatili (Sunshine Coast Falcons), Kyle Foxwell (Ipswich Jets), Gideon Gela-Mosby (released), Bailey Hartwig (released), Brendan O’Hagan (released), John Radel (Mackay Cutters), Will Samuel (released), Josh Simm (UK Super League)

Read more: https://www.qrl.com.au/news/2024/02/19/ ... -for-2024/

Norths Devils 2024 gains and losses

Gains
Eddie Blacker (Penrith Panthers), Gerome Burns (Ipswich Jets), Julian Christian (Northern Pride), Campbell Duffy (Sunshine Coast Falcons), Justin Fai (Souths Logan Magpies), Cooper Jenkins (Newcastle Knights), Jack 'Nugget' Johnson (Townsville Blackhawks), Jordan Lipp (Western Clydesdales), Andre Niko (Canberra), Blake Paskins (Mackay Cutters), Luke Pietzner (Newcastle Knights), Wyatt Reynolds (Sunshine Coast Falcons), Tuki Simpkins (Wests Tigers), Jack Wright (Sunshine Coast Falcons)

Losses
Jack Ahearn (retired), Connor Broadhurst (Wynnum Manly Seagulls), Jared Chambers (Ipswich Jets), Kyle Coghill (Ipswich Jets), Blayden Dodd (released), Bryce Donovan (Wynnum Manly Seagulls), Max Elliott (medically retired), Bernard Gregorius (retired), Liam Horne (UK Super League), Kahli Junior Kali (Ipswich Jets), Sam Lavea (Souths Logan Magpies), Moses Noovao-McGreal (Easts Tigers), Viko Puliuvea (Newcastle), Jonathon Reuben (Wynnum Manly Seagulls), Tony Tumusa (Wynnum Manly Seagulls), Tauaalo Vaipulu (Redcliffe)

Read more: https://www.qrl.com.au/news/2024/02/20/ ... -for-2024/
President Clinton
Dean Lance

Jemery Hawkins looked like he’d turn into a player. Never really took off unfortunately.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Few names on the lists for Ipswich Jets…

Ipswich Jets 2024 gains and losses

Gains
Jack Bishop (Canberra Raiders), Jared Chambers (Norths Devils), Kyle Coghill (Norths Devils), Kyle Foxwell (Wynnum Manly Seagulls), Jack Garrod (Penrith Panthers), Sam Inoke (Canterbury Bulldogs), Byron Johnson (Souths Logan Magpies), KJ Kali (Norths Devils), Luke Maddaford (Wynnum Manly Seagulls), Jordan Penquitt (Brisbane Tigers), Caelys Putoko (New Zealand), Tate Rhea (Canberra Raiders), Kalin Ropata (Currumbin Eagles), Bessie Toomaga (Western Clydesdales)

Losses
Denzel Burns (Western Clydesdales), Gerome Burns (Norths Devils/NRL Dolphins), Zac Chong-Nee (Wynnum Manly Seagulls), Ricco Falaniko (Brisbane Tigers), Isaac Nokes (released), Jerome Veve (Tweed Seagulls), Gordon Whippy (Wests Tigers)

Read more: https://www.qrl.com.au/news/2024/02/29/ ... -for-2024/
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga

Post by Seiffert82 »

LimeGreenMachine wrote:Joey Leilua discusses fierce Gal battles, Ricky sprays ahead of boxing bout with Curtis Scott

Former NRL star Joey Leilua has revealed in a tell-all interview of his desire to still one day get in the ring with “grub” Paul Gallen. Leilua’s longest stint at a club was with the Raiders between 2015-2019, with his last game for Canberra was the heartbreaking grand final loss to the Roosters. While he admits he “fell apart” with Stuart by the end of his five-year tenure in the nation’s capital, Leilua loved playing for ‘Sticky’.

“He’s a good guy we just fell apart at the end. Part of the reason was me but at the same time, Sticky’s a tough person – if he’s off you, he’s off you,” Leilua said

Read more: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... zVdWbow_pU
The link didn't work for me so had to google it. Leilua is a pretty simple human (was a bit of a painful read really), but that article gives you a bit of insight as to how the players see Stuart and what he expects of them.

Very much indicates why certain younger players get selected and some might not. Nothing wrong with setting high standards. The approach seems to work reasonably well for Craig Bellamy.

Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

He’s not Bellamy though, is he?
:lol:

He can be a hard **** but he can also sit a player down, lay his premiership rings on the table and say “trust me, I know my method works”

A lot of coaches try to be a hard **** because they’ve seen it work for other coaches, but you’ve gotta earn that and the players have to believe in the coach and trust his methods work. Real easy to do that when you’ve had his success. And i see this all the time, particularly in the NFL. There is a whole tree of failed Bill Belechick assistants who rocked up to a new place and did their best BB cosplay and flamed out very badly. Just because it works for someone, doesnt mean that works for another.

Its a lot harder to be a hard **** coach and get buy in and trust from players if you dont have the pelts on the wall.
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

If you haven't read 'The Wolf You Feed', it reveals Bennett is exactly the same. And he was like that when he arrived at Canberra
Bennett was always under extreme pressure at Brisbane, his blunt, direct manner upsetting players, board members and others.

Like Bot said, it works for some and not others
The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga

Post by Seiffert82 »

Botman wrote:He’s not Bellamy though, is he?

He can be a hard **** but he can also sit a player down, lay his premiership rings on the table and say “trust me, I know my method works”

A lot of coaches try to be a hard **** because they’ve seen it work for other coaches, but you’ve gotta earn that and the players have to believe in the coach and trust his methods work. Real easy to do that when you’ve had his success. And i see this all the time, particularly in the NFL. There is a whole tree of failed Bill Belechick assistants who rocked up to a new place and did their best BB cosplay and flamed out very badly. Just because it works for someone, doesnt mean that works for another.

Its a lot harder to be a hard **** coach and get buy in and trust from players if you dont have the pelts on the wall.
The article said Leilua respected Stuart and his approach.

Almost every article from senior Raiders players talking about Ricky Stuart say they respect his approach.

I suggest the standards Stuart expects from his players is absolutely the standards that most fans expect - but obviously not all.

So what you are saying is that we should expect the success of a winning organisation like the Storm or Patriots, but the coach holding his players to account is not necessarily part of that equation?
Last edited by Seiffert82 on March 1, 2024, 11:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

I don't think there's an issue with Stuart's standards per se, it's just in coaching ability he can't hold a candle to Bellamy.

That's the key issue here. You can be grumpy with players all you want.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga

Post by Seiffert82 »

The Nickman wrote:I don't think there's an issue with Stuart's standards per se, it's just in coaching ability he can't hold a candle to Bellamy.

The three biggest factors in professional sports are
1. Understanding what is required to win a competition (tactically and ability wise).
2. Building a roster with the ability to execute the game plan and compete at the highest level.
3. Getting buy-in from the players, so everyone is focussed on the same processes and goals.

People seem to think the primary role of a pro sports coach is to teach athletes how to play the sport. IMO that's a very odd position to take.

For all his failings, Stuart has recently demonstrated he knows what it takes to win a comp, and he clearly consistently has buy-in from the vast majority of his squad. Doesn't mean he is perfect, but he has certainly never had the talent Bellamy had at his disposal.

Seiffert82
Mal Meninga

Post by Seiffert82 »

Wouldn't mind examples of consistently successful pro coaches that don't expect high standards and accountability from their players. It would be interesting to read about alternate approaches to success.

Seiffert82
Mal Meninga

Post by Seiffert82 »

Anyway the point of my comment was that even Leilua, after his fallout with Stuart, was able to acknowledge that he respected Stuart's approach to his players.

If you haven't actually read the article.

Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

Seiffert82 wrote: March 1, 2024, 11:20 am
The Nickman wrote:I don't think there's an issue with Stuart's standards per se, it's just in coaching ability he can't hold a candle to Bellamy.

The three biggest factors in professional sports are
1. Understanding what is required to win a competition (tactically and ability wise).
2. Building a roster with the ability to execute the game plan and compete at the highest level.
3. Getting buy-in from the players, so everyone is focussed on the same processes and goals.

People seem to think the primary role of a pro sports coach is to teach athletes how to play the sport. IMO that's a very odd position to take.

For all his failings, Stuart has recently demonstrated he knows what it takes to win a comp, and he clearly consistently has buy-in from the vast majority of his squad. Doesn't mean he is perfect, but he has certainly never had the talent Bellamy had at his disposal.

Very well said Seiff and 100% agree
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Seiffert82 wrote: March 1, 2024, 11:04 amThe article said Leilua respected Stuart and his approach.

Almost every article from senior Raiders players talking about Ricky Stuart say they respect his approach.

I suggest the standards Stuart expects from his players is absolutely the standards that most fans expect - but obviously not all.

So what you are saying is that we should expect the success of a winning organisation like the Storm or Patriots, but the coach holding his players to account is not necessarily part of that equation?
I've got no idea how you came away with that bolded part as the take away. No one has even remotely said that the coach shouldnt hold his players to account or set high standards... you're reading what you what read on that front. So i cant help you there.

I mean my post wasnt even really about Stuart, the only reference to Stuart was a cheeky throw away line at the top
Edit: though I can see on re-read it may have been read as a comment on Stuart so that’s on me for not being clearer

But i'll expand more
My post was more a comment on how i find it really funny when people say things like "The approach seems to work reasonably well for Craig Bellamy." as if that is some silver bullet thing. Like we've found THE answer. If it works for Bellamy it'll work for us. There is only one Craig Bellamy and there is only one Melbourne Storm. And i just dont believe that because it works for them it means that's how everyone can or should do it. Sports isn't a monolith.

What works for Bellamy and the Storm in that environment, with those players and the culture they have might not work for the Roosters or Panthers. And i bet if you observed a Panthers training run and watched Cleary, or the Roosters and watched Robinson and then watched CB and the Storm, it'll be a very different experience in terms of how those coaches approach their job.

You cant just cosplay Craig Bellamy as a HC and expect to suddenly start winning championships. Each environment is differnet. And the coach has to be authentic, players will sniff out a fruad real quick, and they're not going to buy into anything a fraud is saying.

So yes, but all means set standards, hold players accountable. Every coach does that. No one has even remotely suggested that's not part of the deal. However there are many different ways to skin that cat, and that changes from club to club and even player to player within a club.

How Bellamy goes about handling Munster vs Howarth in terms of holding them accountable to the standards might be completely different depending on what works for them. Actually Tim Sheens had a great quote about that too, think it was something like "consistently treat everyone differently"

You've got the meet players where they are. The best coaches understand what buttons they need to press to get the most out of a player. Ricky Stuart himself spoke about that on that Great Coaches podcast (his ep was about 18 months ago but its still in the feed and probably worth a listen for people interested in this).

And as said it's a lot easier for Bellamy to get that buy in and trust when he's got the sustained level of success that he's got. When a man says "You might think im being hard on you but trust me, this is going to make you a better player" its objectively easier for that player to believe that when the guy has 3 recent premiership rings and has never coached a side that won less than 14 games in a season, vs other coaches who dont have that success.

And then it's a one hand washing the other... because the players buy in and trust him and because he's a good coach, he then gets the best out of them and they as a team have sustained success. Which continues to builds the cache to keep buying in. That then becomes the culture.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga

Post by Seiffert82 »

The point was even Leilua respected Stuart's approach even though the relationship fell apart at the end. I think you'll be hard pressed to find any Raider critical of Stuart's approach. Even Hodgo gave him plenty of credit when their relationship cracked.

So, that's my point - not the merits of whether individual players are treated differently (which is quite obviously something RS is criticised for with his veterans vs rookies).

In fact, I think you'd be hard pressed to find definitive evidence that Stuart doesn't apply the various strategies of Sheens, Bellamy and Bennett with his playing group. They all rave about him being personally invested in their off-field welfare, while making his expectations of them clear.