The Television Thread

Discuss music, movies, TV shows and video games

Moderator: GH Moderators

Azza
Laurie Daley

Re: The Television Thread

Post by Azza »

Sid wrote: June 15, 2022, 7:21 am Interesting, I was going to watch The Wire at the start of this year, had heard good things about it but never watched an episode. Only thing that put me off is that I didn’t think the TV series would hold up today being 2 decades old, but it sounds like it does.
The Wire is like modern day Shakespeare. Brilliant. Subtitles can help at times :lol:

The ending to Season 4 I think in particular was jaw droppingly good.
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

I really liked the original UK version Life on Mars TV series. Great original concept and some brilliant characters.
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

Botman wrote:latest Kenobi ep took a tough turn for me
A lot of story and character arc choices that i dont think made a ton of sense.
Like?
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

Dr Zaius wrote: June 16, 2022, 4:01 pm
Like?
Basically everything the third sister did :lol:
I dont think her being all in on this to get at Vader makes much if any sense given her actions and proximity to him in other eps
And then Kenobi telling her they can take Vader down together but taking off leaving her on her own when he would know full well she doesnt stand a chance.
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

Botman wrote:
Dr Zaius wrote: June 16, 2022, 4:01 pm
Like?
Basically everything the third sister did Image
I dont think her being all in on this to get at Vader makes much if any sense given her actions and proximity to him in other eps
And then Kenobi telling her they can take Vader down together but taking off leaving her on her own when he would know full well she doesnt stand a chance.
I dunno, I thought that it kind of made sense, except that the fact in her role she has killed jedis and innocent people. Kenobi simply used her as a means of escape and had no intention of her killing vader.

I don't get what she is now. Is she good, is she bad, is she a bit of both? What are her intentions for Luke? Bait for Vader? Revenge for Kenobi?
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Exactly. It’s all just at any and all means possible including hunting down and killing Jedi just so she can get at Vader for hunting down and killing Jedi?
That doesn’t make sense imo

I don’t think doing that to the third sister makes sense given where Kenobi is at. To hear her story, her pain, and to leverage that and sacrifice her life for an escape? Na I don’t buy that from Kenobi either given he’s the whole series to date has been built around him building towards being willing to live up to the Jedi code and his nature after starting the series suppressing it
Maybe ep 1-2 kenobi might do it, but I’ve felt he’s progressed as a character beyond that sort of choice at this point

Maybe it will all make a lot more sense when we see the finale, definitely open to that, but as of right now, I’ve found her arc to be pretty poorly written and confusing. The rest of the show absolutely **** rules though haha

Vader showboating on her by not even drawing his sabre was incredible
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

Botman wrote:Vader showboating on her by not even drawing his sabre was incredible
The man can dance
hrundi89
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Jarrod Croker

Post by hrundi89 »

Botman wrote: June 12, 2022, 8:43 pm I quite enjoyed Moon Knight in the moment, like the show itself was IMO, well written and a good self contained story and i liked how the handled a lot of it... but i agree it's fairly meh/forgettable once you're out of it. Hawke and Issac were fantastic in it, the scenes with those guys just talking were electric.

But it didnt progress anything in the universe and maybe not every story has to be about that, and maybe that'll be the way Marvel balances the fatigue factor with content demand, by making some of this stuff not essential to the overall arc of the story, so you dont HAVE to watch everything (i think Ms Marvel is heading this route too, even though i quite liked that first ep too)

But yeah, i wanted more
Ms. Marvel will be appearing in the "The Marvels" film, so her story will definitely impact the MCU.

2 episodes in and I think the show is pretty much perfect.

They capture the spirit of the character (as a first-time actress her performance is quite remarkable) from the comics well, and they've taken the opportunity of "normalising" Western Muslim culture and made it appealing without hitting us over the head with it.
You may remember me from such forum usernames as hrundi99 and... hrundi99.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Yeah i've really enjoyed the first few eps. Really fun light hearted show so far
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

Dr Zaius wrote: June 16, 2022, 5:55 pm
Botman wrote:Vader showboating on her by not even drawing his sabre was incredible
The man can dance
Very dark film technology in the final episode of Obi Wan Kenobi. Made it hard to see at times. Third sister memories of being a youngling with the Jedi, means she is fighting the good within her and not always succeeding. She could eliminate Jedi but not Luke as a child. Obi Wan had another chance to eliminate Vader and again did not. He still sees him as Anakin. Obi Wan seemed to have a lot of power in the battle with Vader. Maybe got a boost from his old master, Qui-Gon. I can't wait for the next series.
hrundi89
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Jarrod Croker

Post by hrundi89 »

RedRaider wrote: June 22, 2022, 10:45 pm
Dr Zaius wrote: June 16, 2022, 5:55 pm
The man can dance
Very dark film technology in the final episode of Obi Wan Kenobi. Made it hard to see at times. Third sister memories of being a youngling with the Jedi, means she is fighting the good within her and not always succeeding. She could eliminate Jedi but not Luke as a child. Obi Wan had another chance to eliminate Vader and again did not. He still sees him as Anakin. Obi Wan seemed to have a lot of power in the battle with Vader. Maybe got a boost from his old master, Qui-Gon. I can't wait for the next series.
I didn't think it was that dark? Maybe you need to adjust your tv settings or get a better tv.

He did still see him as Anakin but doesn't now. That was pretty clear.

Obi Wan's power was him at full "force". Not sure he needed a boost.

Next series? Nothing announced as yet and to be frank I'd prefer they didn't. It was nice to revisit these characters but they should leave it at that.
You may remember me from such forum usernames as hrundi99 and... hrundi99.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

The show i want to see is called "Vader"

Basically its a 6 part show were Vader is told a budding rebellion is building in some part of the galaxy, he goes to that system and planet by planet, rooting out the leaders and their bases, and dismantles it. Kills anyone who gets in his way, torturing rebels to get information. The final ep, Vader has this pocket of resistance cornered and he's coming in for the kill, they're trying to escape, some random jedi who survived 66 emerges last minute to save the day and buy them enough time to escape, similar to ep 5 in this run...

Except, he gets absolutely waffle stomped by Vader, and these rebels are snuffed out.

The show's ends as Vader is informed of another budding rebellion somewhere else and he casually sets a course. Just another day at the damn office.
Here's the problem with my show, it has no protagonist, no stakes and no pay off.
No good guys wins and no day is saved. So i doubt it's ever made... but that's the show i most want to watch :lol:
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Regarding Kenobi

I do think we'll see another season, and i really want to
I loved this series, if i ignore the Reva stuff, it was pretty much perfect. The Reva stuff i think could have been much better but i like her as a character and would love to see a prequel of her rising up from the gutter to her position as inquisitor

I've been talking to Nickman half the morning about it and he's pointed out some of the truly next level brilliant things Dave Filoni did in this that no only keep the canon from A New Hope clean but actually sort of enhanced it.
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Phil Graham

The Television Thread

Post by FuiFui BradBrad »

Just discovered Hot Ones on YouTube, and it’s one of the best interview shows I’ve seen in a while.

The idea is this guy interviews celebrities, while they eat spicier and spicier foods. You take away the food gimmick, and it would still hold up, because the host is such a great interviewer.

I think it’s brilliant. You see celebrities for who they are, because it’s hard to keep up the facade while eating a chicken wing with 1 million scoville sauce on it.

Here’s Paul Rudd’s for a sample

Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has done a superb job - 18/12/2020
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

My girls have really enjoyed ninja warrior. Things are pretty grim for poor old Jim Courier. No turning back after hosting a show like this.
Shoving it in your face since 2017
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde

gergreg wrote:My girls have really enjoyed ninja warrior. Things are pretty grim for poor old Jim Courier. No turning back after hosting a show like this.
I haven’t gotten into the Australian version. I got right into the US version.

Used to get irked when people complained that the Aussie version had no winner. It took the US version some 10+ seasons before there was a winner!
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde

Watching the promos for the Australian version of Hunted. It’s a bit of a letdown.

In the US version, the contestants get randomly alerted by a producer they have an hour before they’re pursued. This Australian version, the contestants are dropped off together in a van in the middle of Melbourne. Looks like it puts the Chasers in an advantage from the start.

Wish they went with the US approach.

Nickman's love of NSW
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Fuifui Bradbrad wrote: July 14, 2022, 6:55 pm Watching the promos for the Australian version of Hunted. It’s a bit of a letdown.

In the US version, the contestants get randomly alerted by a producer they have an hour before they’re pursued. This Australian version, the contestants are dropped off together in a van in the middle of Melbourne. Looks like it puts the Chasers in an advantage from the start.

Wish they went with the US approach.
I am beyond pumped for the show. I never got around to watching the versions you spoke about earlier but im already planning to be an expert in this **** and tell everyone who badly they **** up

Very excited. In regards to your comments, that's interesting that it's how they approach it in the US, but i see this as a gateway drug. We start here and expand out

Low Key my running theory already... me and my wife... we're staying in the van. We're letting the choas ensure, everyone scatters, the chasers begin tracking and persuit... and we quietly sneak out 2 hours later and stay just behind it all. Im not fully into this yet, i'll have to see this plays out and reserve my right to discard this idea and never admit it was ever a thing
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde

Yeah I’m still going to watch it. The Brit Ben is an Analyst who’s been on the US and UK versions.

I’m interested to see what other differences they do. Like in the US, they have $500 in a bank account, but they can’t withdraw it all at once.

It’s early days, but if I was on the show, I think I would try and leg it to my cousins in Geelong. Try and rig up hiring a car using a card they can trace, and have my cousin pick the car up and go for a drive. Meanwhile I head the opposite direction.

Nickman's love of NSW
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde

My two favourite couple on the US one decided to throw some cheap wigs on, go to a bus station, get caught on CCTV buying the ticket.

The Brit analyst sees this, and goes “Well they could be trying to throw us off by not catching the bus. But looking at them, they’re wouldn’t make that play. Let’s see where that bus is going..”

They got caught as soon as the bus stopped.

Another was a couple of Abercrombie looking frat boys, who hung out at this seaside town just flirting with random women asking for a place to crash. The chasers ended up putting an alert on some Tinder / matchmaking app telling women to be on the lookout for these two. One of the girls dobbed them in.

I hope they get that sort of power.

Nickman's love of NSW
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

I truly hope we see some stuff like that, i really cant wait to **** can some dumb **** moves on this
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Well that first ep was very fun

Some thoughts...

- it seems the fugitive's knew where the drop point would be and had at least some time to get some plans in place. I like that, its good to let them have that advantage. And we can judge them accordingly... though we didn't get a lot on many of the couples so eager to learn more about their plans and progress.

- Angie and Michelle really screwed up when they didnt immediately leave when the their friends phone rang. At that point you HAD to know they were on to your friend as your plan and get moving ASAP. They've already got 1 of them, and the other is going down tonight im sure. They were easy prey. Didnt seem to have a very good plan at all.

- Erina-Lea and Jess are about to get nabbed too. They're all over them, and even if they manage to get away from this camp site, they're on the scent now and there doesnt look to be a way out. They also got lucky to get out of Melbourne via a person willing to drive them. Their plan to mostly go camping was a good one though

- Nicholas and Lavinia are not built for this. They're going to have to spend some very rough nights unless they can link up with some contacts. I think they're going to get caught fairly quickly

- Jake and Rob were easily MVPs in ep 1. They had a really good plan. I liked the quick change of appearance and splitting up and walking calmly to their public transport. The Hunters are looking for frantic duos at that point, couple of tradies going about their commute was a fantastic plan. Curious to see what the play is here with the social media post, their hubris could be their undoing.

- I think the first thing i'd do is get all my money out straight away and buy a public transport card... i want the all the money straight away so i dont have to hit an atm later and provide a trail, and i want the travel card because i might be able to use it to lay a fake trail. Like linking up with a friend who can take scan my card on a train going an hour or two south whilst i make my way north
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde

The Television Thread

Oh snap! I was binging Hot Ones and missed it! I’ll catch up.

With the getting all the money out in one hit, are they allowing that? In the US version, they were capped at $50 per transaction. I used to think that was a rip, because it was to allow them to keep track of the card, and unrealistic. I would do the same.

One thing I’d definitely do is create an email account and share the login and password with everyone I need help from. That way we can write emails, save as a draft and leave it there for reading. Cant trace what’s not being sent.

Nickman's love of NSW
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Fuifui Bradbrad wrote: July 18, 2022, 1:19 pm With the getting all the money out in one hit, are they allowing that? In the US version, they were capped at $50 per transaction. I used to think that was a rip, because it was to allow them to keep track of the card, and unrealistic. I would do the same.
Hmmm maybe they cant take it all out at once. I dont remember them saying there was a limit but they might explain that in future episodes
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde

Yep I’m about to finish ep 1, and I’m definitely invested.

- So there’s at least a higher atm limit if there’s any, because they reference one team taking out $150 between them.

- The Swifty 50’s just played themselves over and over on this one. They should have trusted themselves to begin with.

- I agree about those QLD girls. If they’re freaking out about Grasshoppers, they’re in for a world of pain.

- I’m loving Jake and Robs plan. Even the social media post, and getting their friend to post it.

I’m definitely on board. I’m trying to convince Mrs Fui we need to apply for this show. I’m thinking similar to you Bot. Hiring a car on the credit card. Get a friend / family to pick up and go nuts. Apply for the show using my Christian name instead of Given name to throw off socials..

Nickman's love of NSW
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde

Also watching the Swifty 50’s, I wonder if there’s any value in having they tag out Mrs Fui early, and trying the show as an individual.

Easier to move around solo. Mrs Fui doesn’t have to get involved. She could buy a bus ticket and I’ll leg it the other way.

Nickman's love of NSW
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Fuifui Bradbrad wrote: July 18, 2022, 8:27 pm Also watching the Swifty 50’s, I wonder if there’s any value in having they tag out Mrs Fui early, and trying the show as an individual.

Easier to move around solo. Mrs Fui doesn’t have to get involved. She could buy a bus ticket and I’ll leg it the other way.
Yeah that's a spicy move... go as a couple, completely split and let one get captured in hopes that it gives the other partner a leg up
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

So Ep2 down
Erina-Lea and Jess survived which was a shock but they're on to them
what wasnt a shock was to see the other swifty 50 fall... my gal could barely walk let alone run.

It seems like they're hot on the trail of the aunty-neice tandum and is a lesson in how risky it is in withdrawing funds and using direct family contacts are. Too easy to track
I wonder if it's within the rules to give the card to a friend in exchange for direct cash... like could i give my atm card worth $500 to a mate with a plan to jaunt around VIC making a transaction every 2-3 days completely covered in exchange for him straight up giving me $500?
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

So far Nicholas and Lavina have had some pints at the pub, and tucked into a wheel of bree and a salami. They'll be out of money in a day or two, turn on each other, draw attention to themselves with a public squabble and ultimately ruin their pending wedding. Amazing television.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Derek and Courtney going back to the residence they almost got nabbed at is hands down the dumbest thing anyone has done on this show
Horrific stuff. And they're about to be caught.

Wild
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

Sleep rough. How much you want this ****? At least get up early and sneak out. None of this leisurely strolling out mid morning. You're breaking my balls guys.
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

Need to equip the Hunters with tazers or something. Yelling stop at them didn't seem to work.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

I've watched a few episodes. Why don't they grab a whole bunch of supplies then go camping in the middle of nowhere for 3 weeks?
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

Exactly. These two numpties headed to a small town. First thing they did on getting there was to use their credit card at the Woolies
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Derek and Courtney taunting the hunters is pretty dumb too. I watched a replay this arvo - one of the blonde ladies heard a drone and just took off in a completely random direction instead of just stepping back inside the accommodation.