The Television Thread

Discuss music, movies, TV shows and video games

Moderator: GH Moderators

Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Re: The Television Thread

Post by Botman »

im also interested in Azza's part time acting work! Tell us more?!
Anything noteworthy roles yet? Cool stuff you've been involved in?
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

Botman wrote:im also interested in Azza's part time acting work! Tell us more?!
I’d be pretty keen to check out some of his more “adult” films.
Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

Botman wrote: June 10, 2023, 9:41 pm im also interested in Azza's part time acting work! Tell us more?!
Just an on and off thing I fell into six or seven years ago after quite a bit of personal pain, and it took on a life of it’s own that I never expected. I’ve done a range of theatre productions and short films and have shot a few TV ads, including one for a big insurance company that aired in North America earlier this year. Also do some voice overs for various companies now and then but it is very stop start and more for the fun of it.
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

Wait a minute Azza. I saw John Travolta doing a North American Insurance advertisement and all those other things you mentioned he also did. Now we know who you are. Grease is the word.

Was the disaster and unwatchable Battlefield Earth a nod to those Raiders teams of the early 2000s.
Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

BJ wrote: June 12, 2023, 2:28 pm Wait a minute Azza. I saw John Travolta doing a North American Insurance advertisement and all those other things you mentioned he also did. Now we know who you are. Grease is the word.

Was the disaster and unwatchable Battlefield Earth a nod to those Raiders teams of the early 2000s.
:lol:
Lamenting Actions
Glenn Lazarus
Favourite Player: Grace Kemp

Post by Lamenting Actions »

Azza wrote: June 11, 2023, 2:00 pm
Botman wrote: June 10, 2023, 9:41 pm im also interested in Azza's part time acting work! Tell us more?!
Just an on and off thing I fell into six or seven years ago after quite a bit of personal pain, and it took on a life of it’s own that I never expected. I’ve done a range of theatre productions and short films and have shot a few TV ads, including one for a big insurance company that aired in North America earlier this year. Also do some voice overs for various companies now and then but it is very stop start and more for the fun of it.
Ah yes. Grundy Insurance.
-PJ- wrote: April 14, 2024, 9:07 pm I thought it went really good, now let’s go get some soft serve.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

If anyone is bored, look up the amateur production of “One Night in Azza”, the lighting quality isn’t the best, but other than that, it’s really quite good.
Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

Yawn.
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Phil Graham

Post by FuiFui BradBrad »

I liked his portrayal of a street kid who discovers a Genie, and used his wishes to help him win over the princess, and defeat an evil wizard.

Go watch Alazza when you have some spare time.
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has done a superb job - 18/12/2020
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Looking forward to being back on the marvel TV Bull in a weeks time
Secret Invasion i think is shaping up to be a potentially really high quality, not quite Loki but close to, level production

Cant wait to be disappiointed but a few years ago i had a 18 month little sojourn back into comics and one of the first things i did was deleve into the secret invasion run. So excited to see it play out on a small screen
Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

Black mirror, season 6.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Azza wrote: June 15, 2023, 7:20 pm Black mirror, season 6.
Man i read like 2-3 episode synopsis's and i cant come at it :lol:
Is it as **** **** as the descriptions sound?

My wife and I have been watching Abbott Elementary recently and it's a really good.
Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

Botman wrote: June 17, 2023, 9:37 pm
Azza wrote: June 15, 2023, 7:20 pm Black mirror, season 6.
Man i read like 2-3 episode synopsis's and i cant come at it :lol:
Is it as **** **** as the descriptions sound?
Like doing a **** in a church on someone’s wedding day
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

There’s a new series of Love Island UK on Nine Now! Missed the first week or so, but catching up fast!
the bone
John Ferguson

Post by the bone »

Happy Valley anyone? Excellent British crime series.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

the bone wrote: June 21, 2023, 12:17 pm Happy Valley anyone? Excellent British crime series.
Really good. Really, really good. We've watched every season, can highly recommend.
Brewdle
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Love em all

Post by Brewdle »

Deadloch on Prime is some funny noir detective stuff!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde

The Nickman wrote:
the bone wrote: June 21, 2023, 12:17 pm Happy Valley anyone? Excellent British crime series.
Really good. Really, really good. We've watched every season, can highly recommend.
Yeah we binged it earlier this year. Really liked it. Tommy Lee Royce is one of the worst antagonists on tv. Never wanted a character to get their come uppance more.

Also second Deadloch. I thought it was a touch on the OTT silly acting to begin with, but they’ve hit their stride from about ep 4
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Secret Invasion got off to a very good start IMO
Im weary of marvel productions at the moment, it's been lacking of late (though i've heard GOTG3 was an absolute banger and big return to form, but ive not seen it yet) but after one ep i think they're setting up a good spy thriller sort of story with a compelling villain who has a motivation that you can understand

And i think that is when Marvel is at it's best, when the "big bads" of the story are motivated for relatable and understandable reasons and not just because they're evil and want power. Thanos, Sylvie and Vulture had that, and i think Gravik and the Skrulls (and Kang actually) have the seeds planted to have that too. We'll see but a promising start imo.
Lamenting Actions
Glenn Lazarus
Favourite Player: Grace Kemp

Post by Lamenting Actions »

Anyone else a Trekkie here? I've been watching TOS again and just realised what a genius cinematographer Gerald Finnerman was.
-PJ- wrote: April 14, 2024, 9:07 pm I thought it went really good, now let’s go get some soft serve.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

The Hunted is back and im **** puuuuuuumped!
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

Have to say The Witcher season 3 has continued it's downward spiral. Loved the first season. 2nd was OK without living up to promise. 3rd season is very difficult to get into. Writing is pretty damn awful and wasting a good cast.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Northern Raider wrote: July 17, 2023, 8:54 pm Have to say The Witcher season 3 has continued it's downward spiral. Loved the first season. 2nd was OK without living up to promise. 3rd season is very difficult to get into. Writing is pretty damn awful and wasting a good cast.
I was super interested in that series, got into the first season but never got through season 2.
Felt like a good premise gone wrong.
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde

Northern Raider wrote:Have to say The Witcher season 3 has continued it's downward spiral. Loved the first season. 2nd was OK without living up to promise. 3rd season is very difficult to get into. Writing is pretty damn awful and wasting a good cast.
Yeah I’ve watched the first 5 eps and found it a real slog. Really found it hard to keep up with what was going on.

Nickman's love of NSW
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Speaking of a slog, i thought secret invasion had a solid opening ep and some good potential but yeeesh. Another rough marvel product

Hopefully ahsoka can live up to the hype
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde

Botman wrote:Speaking of a slog, i thought secret invasion had a solid opening ep and some good potential but yeeesh. Another rough marvel product

Dang, really? I have them 3rd in line for my train show. Might give it a miss then.

Nickman's love of NSW
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Fuifui Bradbrad wrote: July 19, 2023, 7:54 pm
Botman wrote:Speaking of a slog, i thought secret invasion had a solid opening ep and some good potential but yeeesh. Another rough marvel product

Dang, really? I have them 3rd in line for my train show. Might give it a miss then.
One ep to go so Ill let you know if something game shifting happens in terms of the MCU and there is a chance it could happen, but if not... yeah man you can give it a miss :lol:
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde

Even Kevin Smith on his podcast was meh on it, and he loved everything. His comments was it felt like it needed a couple of the big gun stars to give it a hand. Also spend some money on makeup, because a lot of the scenes are about Skrulls wanting to be themselves, while dressed as humans.

Nickman's love of NSW
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Fuifui Bradbrad wrote: July 20, 2023, 7:49 am Even Kevin Smith on his podcast was meh on it, and he loved everything. His comments was it felt like it needed a couple of the big gun stars to give it a hand. Also spend some money on makeup, because a lot of the scenes are about Skrulls wanting to be themselves, while dressed as humans.
Yeah there are a lot of problems with it tbh
The bones of a good story is there but it probably needed to be given more time to slow burn and yeah add some star power, bring in the big guns even for just an ep here and there, cast some doubt on some of them, reveal some of them are actually skrulls

THe thing about the comics version of secret invasion was it genuinely felt like any one could have been a skrull. Some of these heros you'd be reading about for years were skrulls the whole time... so far this series, we've have one extremely mediocre reveal of a former hero being a skrull and that's it
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde

Yeah I getcha. Been reading some fan fiction on the show. Stuff like the Tony Stark who built the suit in a cave with scraps was a Skrull, and they reveal the Real Tony is still out there. They’d never go there, but that would just blow up everything.

My Train shows at the moment is
Musketeers S3/Finale
Titans S4/Finale
Secret Invasion…
Deadwood

Might bump Deadwood up the list though. Meanwhile Mrs Fui and I have been getting into Brokenwood Mysteries. Great NZ show, crime of the week type show. Would never live in Brokenwood though, high murder rate!

Nickman's love of NSW
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

I'm always late on these shows. I just started Stranger Things the other night. Reminds me of those creepy old show like Twilight zone. I've heard the quality drops a little. What season should I stop at?
Shoving it in your face since 2017
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

It starts dropping off after Season 1. Most definitely after Season 2. It is one of those shows that should have left it at one. But then again, it's hard to stop watching when there are new series out there. Sadly, there'll a fifth and last. They go on about a story arc they'd planned all along, but I don't believe that...
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

I watched a few episode of Season 1 - didn’t do anything for me
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

I enjoyed Season 1, but couldn't get through Season 2
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

Geez I’m enjoying winning time the lakers dynasty.

Making it look like a late 70s show with it’s filming techniques was genius.