The Television Thread

Discuss music, movies, TV shows and video games

Moderator: GH Moderators

FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Phil Graham

Re: The Television Thread

Post by FuiFui BradBrad »

Been binging The Bear on Disney. Such a great show. It’s kind of filling the Ted Lasso void, while being a bit grittier, more realistic.

Definitely recommend. It hooked me from ep 1
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has done a superb job - 18/12/2020
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Been catching up with Only Murders in the Building this week, starting with S1: Ep1. A lot of fun.
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

greeneyed wrote:Been catching up with Only Murders in the Building this week, starting with S1: Ep1. A lot of fun.
Really funny show. Great actors and some classic characters.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Fuifui Bradbrad wrote: August 8, 2023, 10:53 pm Been binging The Bear on Disney. Such a great show. It’s kind of filling the Ted Lasso void, while being a bit grittier, more realistic.

Watched the first episode, can’t say I was too impressed. Lots of screaming. Does it get better? Very un-Ted Lasso for mine.
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde

greeneyed wrote:
Fuifui Bradbrad wrote: August 8, 2023, 10:53 pm Been binging The Bear on Disney. Such a great show. It’s kind of filling the Ted Lasso void, while being a bit grittier, more realistic.

Watched the first episode, can’t say I was too impressed. Lots of screaming. Does it get better? Very un-Ted Lasso for mine.
I was hooked from ep 1, but I would say it does get better. They start trying things his way and operate like a team and things start to improve.

It touches on mental health, and you start getting flashbacks of Michael. Where I see similarities with Ted, apart from the mental health aspect, is once they stop fighting each other, it sort of starts showing how they remain a unit despite all the chaos and drama that happens in the restaurant.

Then once you get to season 2, Ritchie will mess with your emotions.
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

I've never watched the animated Star Wars more than a passing glance when the kids had it on but really looking forward to Ahsoka starting Wednesday.
The styling work looks outstanding and the hype trailer's sow the amount of effort and buy in from Rosario Dawson

Sent from my SM-S911B using Tapatalk

Edrick The Entertainer
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

The Television Thread

Post by The Nickman »

I can’t **** WAIT for Ahsoka, but I really loved Rebels too, and it’s essentially a continuation of that.

Can’t wait to find out what happened to both Ezra and Thrawn.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

Yeah im really excited for it. Think its got a chance to be Andor good. And Loki season 2 is around the corner
Bit worried because Disney has not delivered much in terms of tv product or movies frankly for a bit

If these two ventures stink, it might be over... but i think they've got a shot to get it back on track
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde

They were speculating on Kevin Smiths podcast a while back that this might be the beginning of Disney scaling back on their TV shows.

Now thirst people are kind of going back to cinemas, they can make more money off their characters by putting them in movies.

Curious to see if it’s true, or if they do the Mando approach of x number of seasons and wrap it up with a movie. Attacks both fronts that way.

Nickman's love of NSW
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Podcasters i listen to who have early screeners seem to be indicating Ahsoka is indeed the ****. These are people who have not been afraid to say that Mando s3 wasnt that good and Secret Invasion was trash... so they're not in the business of stumping for disney unless it's actually good

Exciting.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Ahsoka is off to the hottest of hot starts
Very excited for where this can go
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

While I enjoyed the 3 episodes so far, it reminded me a bit of the first Star Wars movie Episode 4 - A new hope. A rookie padawan learning the ways of the force. I'll be back watching next week.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Ep 3 was a bit of a let down coming off the back of ep 1 and 2, but i think its setting the scene for whats to come

I exepct the next 2 eps will be bangers, with another settler in ep 6 and finishing with a bang
I just love where this series is headed though
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

Intergalactic travelling space whales was a new twist. Sets up Round 2 for Ashoka v Baylan after her re-training with a youthful Anakin in the after life.
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

RedRaider wrote:Intergalactic travelling space whales was a new twist. Sets up Round 2 for Ashoka v Baylan after her re-training with a youthful Anakin in the after life.
Red, have a look for the "rebels pre-ahsoka" catch-up on YouTube.

Edrick The Entertainer
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

Boney, a good summary of Ahsoka characters here:
https://movieweb.com/ahsoka-star-wars-t ... skywalker/

I watched Episode 6 last night and with all the main characters to be in one place in the next Episode it should be very entertaining.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Guys, be very careful about posting potential spoilers in here, they show up in the preview pane on Tapatalk and could ruin a series for people who haven’t seen it yet.

Not saying anyone has done anything too bad just yet, but just a general caution.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Its been a very fun and enjoyable ride
Love the last few weeks, it's been some of the best disney plus tv we've had since Andor.

Can not wait to get the final 2 eps and see where this all leads us and Star Wars universe.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

To coin an expression from an old friend of ours "it sure will be interesting."
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde

I’ve been struggling to find a new train show, nothings really catching me. Haven’t started Ahsoka yet, but I’ve been inspired to just binge Star Wars in chronological order.

Where does Ahsoka fit chronologically? I’m assuming between 3 and 4 somewhere?

Nickman's love of NSW
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Fuifui Bradbrad wrote: September 27, 2023, 6:54 am I’ve been struggling to find a new train show, nothings really catching me. Haven’t started Ahsoka yet, but I’ve been inspired to just binge Star Wars in chronological order.

Where does Ahsoka fit chronologically? I’m assuming between 3 and 4 somewhere?
No, it's between 6 and 7.

Also, if you're looking for good shows, we've binged both The Bear (two seasons) and The Silo (single season) in the last month and both are absolutely exceptional.
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde

Yeah I’ve watched both and loved them both.
My train show requirement has one simple rule. Does Mrs Fui want to watch it?
> If yes - Out of scope
> If no - Within scope

Nickman's love of NSW
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Fuifui Bradbrad wrote: September 27, 2023, 10:45 am Yeah I’ve watched both and loved them both.
My train show requirement has one simple rule. Does Mrs Fui want to watch it?
> If yes - Out of scope
> If no - Within scope
Ahhh, I get ya. In that case I recommend the Clone Wars, Rebels and Bad Batch.

Small, 20-ish minute episodes, perfect for the train and you'll churn through them all pretty quickly.
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde

Yeah sweet. It’s a 50 min train trip, so I can smash through them.

When I watched the series chronologically last year, a mate recommended I skip the animated stuff, just because there was so much. So they’re top of list for my refresh.

Nickman's love of NSW
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Fuifui Bradbrad wrote: September 27, 2023, 11:26 am Yeah sweet. It’s a 50 min train trip, so I can smash through them.

When I watched the series chronologically last year, a mate recommended I skip the animated stuff, just because there was so much. So they’re top of list for my refresh.
Your mate's an idiot.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Second recommendation for the Bear for anyone looking for a show, my wife and i binged it a few weeks ago. Fantastic series
It's a quick binge too because it's not a lot of eps and only 30 minutes per ep
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde

Botman wrote:Second recommendation for the Bear for anyone looking for a show, my wife and i binged it a few weeks ago. Fantastic series
It's a quick binge too because it's not a lot of eps and only 30 minutes per ep
Third recommendation, I called it out further up the thread.

I’m claiming this one… unless someone posted before me!

Nickman's love of NSW
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

I really liked Ahsoka Episode 7 and the final episode next week has a lot of questions and plot development for the main characters.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Really good ep i agree but im worried for the finale, it feels like there is a lot to try and wrap up
Hope they can land the plane
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

Botman wrote:Really good ep i agree but im worried for the finale, it feels like there is a lot to try and wrap up
feels like about 3 eps worth doesn't it, the wasted episode (was it 3rd?) may haunt the series finale

Edrick The Entertainer
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

bonehead wrote: September 30, 2023, 10:40 am
Botman wrote:Really good ep i agree but im worried for the finale, it feels like there is a lot to try and wrap up
feels like about 3 eps worth doesn't it, the wasted episode (was it 3rd?) may haunt the series finale

I’m thinking now that we actually won’t get full closure on all of this and room will be left to finish those story arcs in other seasons of tv, including potentially season 2 of Ahsoka

At this stage I’m expecting to be left with a lot of questions about the future of a lot of the characters
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

The Television Thread

Post by The Nickman »

Oh yeah, anyone thinking the final is going to wrap up any plot elements is in for a bad time. I suspect it’s going to be deeply unsatisfying in that regards.

Maybe they’ll all jump back to their own galaxy at the end? That’s probably about it, maybe there’ll be some big reveal about Baylon, but that’s probably it.
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde

I haven’t seen Ahsoka, but the talk of it not wrapping up, Kevin Smith was speculating that it won’t, and you’ll see a Star Wars movie which will wrap up the Ahsoka, Mando and Boba shows.

Nickman's love of NSW
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Fuifui Bradbrad wrote:I haven’t seen Ahsoka, but the talk of it not wrapping up, Kevin Smith was speculating that it won’t, and you’ll see a Star Wars movie which will wrap up the Ahsoka, Mando and Boba shows.
I hope not. I hope they just continue to tell fantastic stories in the Star Wars universe as they are right now using the various shows as the platform.
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde

Yeah I wouldn’t be surprised if they do though. Disney isn’t making money off the new shows, so an Ahsoka Mando Boba movie gives them a chance to make some money off the franchises, while sending them out with a big cinematic bang.

Nickman's love of NSW